IGNORED

Superfan Syndrome

SARJ

Last Saturday I optimistically traveled to Brentford to watch us lose miserably without a fight in a stadium a fraction of the size of Ashton Gate.

After the game, Johnson Out chants arose after watching such tripe. Much to my surprise, a number of our fans actually clapped LJ and the players as they walked off. To my even greater surprise it almost kicked off between the 2 sets of fans. At this stage in the argument, I’d like to add that the Johnson faithful were, noticeably, all dressed up in replica kits and other Bristol Sport merchandise.

After a 5 nil drubbing last night I’ve been informed by friends who went that a similar group actually clapped off City and the management. For the love of God why?

This ‘superfan’ CTID attitude is one of the reasons for our downfall. People blindly renewing tickets, buying replica kits, supporting LJ to the bitter end, it’s laughable. The team have clearly given up on him and have no respect, so why clap? It’s all well and good saying “I’m supporting our fight to stay in the Championship, not the manager” but the fact that you keep supporting 'the club' (i.e. Lord Lansdown's will) instead of voicing your discontent is one of the reasons we find ourselves in the position we are in.

Totally agree. At Brentford I was shocked by the amount of vocal support for LJ when any discontented opinions were aired.  Clearly a section of the crowd still have (had) faith. I appreciate the support the team for 90 minutes argument but enough is enough.  How anyone can still believe LJ has the makings to turn into a competent manger is beyond me.

14 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Last Saturday I optimistically traveled to Brentford to watch us lose miserably without a fight in a stadium a fraction of the size of Ashton Gate.

After the game, Johnson Out chants arose after watching such tripe. Much to my surprise, a number of our fans actually clapped LJ and the players as they walked off. To my even greater surprise it almost kicked off between the 2 sets of fans. At this stage in the argument, I’d like to add that the Johnson faithful were, noticeably, all dressed up in replica kits and other Bristol Sport merchandise.

After a 5 nil drubbing last night I’ve been informed by friends who went that a similar group actually clapped off City and the management. For the love of God why?

This ‘superfan’ CTID attitude is one of the reasons for our downfall. People blindly renewing tickets, buying replica kits, supporting LJ to the bitter end, it’s laughable. The team have clearly given up on him and have no respect, so why clap? It’s all well and good saying “I’m supporting our fight to stay in the Championship, not the manager” but the fact that you keep supporting 'the club' (i.e. Lord Lansdown's will) instead of voicing your discontent is one of the reasons we find ourselves in the position we are in.

people are free to support how they like,

40 minutes ago, megansdad said:

of course its the fault of the fans that clap - not the true supporters who know better than the board how to run the club. Oh the irony.....

Oh dear...

If you saw the game Saturday and can still defend the current situation then words fail me.

Said the same in my report last night.

I understood the encouragement for Tammy who finished the match exhausted right in front of the away end and looked embarrassed and heartbroken, but it was bizarre to me that everyone then applauded any players who wandered sheepishly towards the away end.

Sympathetic applause no doubt, but utterly unwarranted. Support should be earned. It's a symptom of those who always want to be acknowledged. You know, the "[insert manager] give us a wave" / "[insert player] please retweet" mob. They only get that love in by first acknowledging the players, regardless how they play. It's really quite shallow.

Said player makes in a month what they make in a year, does about 10 hours work a week, and can lose 5-0 and return to their flash house and car and doesn't give a toss about supporters 99% of the time. Once they get over said fact, they'll be far more disposed to treating performances like last night in the manner which they deserve - i.e. silent disregard or downright abuse.

My stance is that I can make my feeling known about LJ and the team's performance better at Ashton Gate then I can by spending Saturday with my missus.

The only thing that might drive me away is dreadful football. I was on the verge of going "**** this for a lark" when SOD was serving up turgid, negative, unchanging as well as unproductive football in L1. This season I've not been to any away matches, so I've probably missed our most abject performances. The home Fleetwood, Fulham and Rotherham games were probably the nadir of performances I've watched this season.

I want Johnson out (and have since mid-January) but I did renew for next season. I don't consider myself a "superfan", just someone who has seen it all before. Alas.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Controversial,and won't go down well in some quarters but well said - absolutley spot on :clap:

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Said the same in my report last night.

I understood the encouragement for Tammy who finished the match exhausted right in front of the away end and looked embarrassed and heartbroken, but it was bizarre to me that everyone then applauded any players who wandered sheepishly towards the away end.

Sympathetic applause no doubt, but utterly unwarranted. Support should be earned. It's a symptom of those who always want to be acknowledged. You know, the "[insert manager] give us a wave" / "[insert player] please retweet" mob. They only get that love in by first acknowledging the players, regardless how they play. It's really quite shallow.

Said player makes in a month what they make in a year, does about 10 hours work a week, and can lose 5-0 and return to their flash house and car and doesn't give a toss about supporters 99% of the time. Once they get over said fact, they'll be far more disposed to treating performances like last night in the manner which they deserve - i.e. silent disregard or downright abuse.

Another brilliant succinct post @Olé

1 hour ago, megansdad said:

of course its the fault of the fans that clap - not the true supporters who know better than the board how to run the club. Oh the irony.....

You are on form today.

Which board is this?

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Oh dear...

If you saw the game Saturday and can still defend the current situation then words fail me.

if you can't see the irony on a post entitled Superfan syndrome which criticises a section of the fanbase which happened to applaud and advises they are part of the problem, thereby claiming to be a better fan by being critical then words fail me. 

19 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Thanks mate, at least someone on here understands what I'm getting at.

As in the post above this - they still won't see it

Still won't see that they end up,forming part of the problem 

Differing opinions on a coach are one thing  but defending in this scenario , doing nothing , or worse  -  criticising others trying to demonstrate their feelings to the club is another completely

4 minutes ago, megansdad said:

if you can't see the irony on a post entitled Superfan syndrome which criticises a section of the fanbase which happened to applaud and advises they are part of the problem, thereby claiming to be a better fan by being critical then words fail me. 

I didn't criticise I asked how anybody that saw our performance Saturday could defend it?

55 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I think the irony is that last week you told everyone it was all John Pembertons fault as he was the defensive coach. 

Care to give us your take on the  7 goals conceded in the last 2 games :yawn:

John Pemberton's ghost :chant6ez:

My take is the players haven't turned up for the last two games, put in very little effort.

As said, people are free to support how they like but I do agree with the sentiment that if you support poor decisions you're doing more damage than you are good.

I see our current situation much like teaching a child, if a child kicks another kid and you applaud him then he'll carry on doing it, however if you scold him and refuse to give him any treats he'll soon make the changes. SL is the child in this case, the fans who clap this crap and continue to pay money into the club are supporting a child who is running around kicking the other kids so that kid isn't changing his ways. Sl needs a serious scolding and the only way he's going to get that is by the fans refusing to support his refusal to sack a manager who pretty much every fan in our entire league seems to see is out of his depth, I honestly am lost for words when someone tells me they still support him.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I think the irony is that last week you told everyone it was all John Pembertons fault as he was the defensive coach. 

Care to give us your take on the  7 goals conceded in the last 2 games :yawn:

I'm just waiting for...  "it was a gypsy LJ told to **** off, some months back"

29 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

John Pemberton's ghost :chant6ez:

My take is the players haven't turned up for the last two games, put in very little effort.

But the coach/ manager provides direction and instruction, or not is the case with ours

anyone who has any knowledge of the game can see he's way out if depth

players in wrong positions 

panic substitutions 

random players dropped for weeks for no reason

Some of our support for LJ at the moment sounds like some bhs staff sat in a pub telling his mates it's not Philip greens fault you've got to work till your 90 he's bhs through and through 

B Block you are repeating yourself for the nth month running

Let's get topical ie March April May during which our destiny will be decided. How many unnecessary changes has Lj made since the Burton game. How many panic substitutions, random droppings? 

Probably none.

We have been. OK, good, brilliant, poor and pathetic so obviously not consistent enough to yet get out of trouble.

Are you supporting the club this Saturday and on Good Friday? Are you going to Blackburn and are you buying a ticket for next season?

Good! See you there and get behind the team for just another few games

9 hours ago, megansdad said:

I dont know how to run a football club. But thats not my job. People are paid fortunes to run this club and are f'ing terrible at it. By blowing smoke up their asses people are reinforcing the employment of incompetant coaches, executives, etc .... supporting a failing regeime and are dooming bcfc. If you cant see that then god help you.

its not about fans thinking they know best its about fans wanting a head coach / manager who displays the ability to manage at this level and not a complete joker who has proved beyond all doubt that he is out of his depth and has lost the dressing room. The board or SL really have the power to effect change but wont use it because of personal relationships.

but you do know how to select a manager and that the current one is not up to it, and that he has lost the dressing room, you also "know" that SL is not changing things due to his personal relationships. People calling at the end of a game are somehow reinforcing their confidence and propping up a failing regime.

I would suggest you know none of the above- its just your opinion. My original point though which seems to have passed you by was that the OP seemed to be claiming superior fan status simply because his opinion happens to align with yours, which in the context of his title was and remains ironic.

1 hour ago, megansdad said:

Korey Smith:

“They still clapped us off the pitch and I think they know that we have to stick together now. They’re going to be absolutely massive for us in these remaining games.”
Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/fans-deserve-their-money-back-smith-3661521.aspx#AhLi3OtUtAr3EbbY.99

probably written for him by the controllers boys......a mere publicity stunt imo.

Fans have been massive for them all season its made no difference as record breaking sh1te results prove.

10 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

probably written for him by the controllers boys......a mere publicity stunt imo.

Fans have been massive for them all season its made no difference as record breaking sh1te results prove.

So a good will gesture is nothing more than a publicity stunt?

Let me guess, the moon landings were staged as well :facepalm:

Well @bcfcfinker a "goodwill gesture" is just that..a gesture. I'm quite sure that folk who travelled would far rather have seen a decent performance from the team...a more meaningful gesture towards acknowledging their support than being given their entrance money back. For what it's worth if I'd made the trip...which I'd been planning to earlier in the season...the least of my expenses would have been the match ticket.

However, if what you're saying is that Korey Smith's comments are better than nothing I agree with you. Seems a decent chap.

To return to the OP's point, I've renewed and don't consider myself a superfan. Thought long and hard about it. Family members will make good use of the tickets. Whether I will myself depends on something which seems lacking in much of the comment on the current offer at Ashton Gate...namely ENTERTAINMENT. As it happens I think tomorrow could be quite entertaining in one of two ways...ideally we come out of the traps firing on all cylinders, thrash Wolves and turn a corner...but alternatively we could get panned and the whole place descends into a never to be forgotten orgy of venomous criticism. More likely it'll be a frustrating and dull match, lost in the last 5 minutes, and we'll all be wondering why we bothered. In truth most of this season has left me wondering why I bother...

Archived