IGNORED

Cider

Pound Lane Red

Well everyone has their own taste, if you took someones advice and took loads back and you didnt like it, it would be money wasted. (although you could get your usual and take a sample of something else home, that'll be your best bet tbh in finding what you like out of the myriad of ciders out there)

I personally cannot get enough of Scrumpy Jack cider 6% but Thatchers Haze and Gold also come good if I cannot get the Jacks. Never been one for the flat cider though, to me thats awful stuff, as is most mainstream "ciders" like Bulmers/Strongbow/Magners - Yuck!

Morrisons supermarket own branded cider that comes in their 2.5litre bottles isnt bad either, the only "supermarket" brand I like, only because for me, it tastes like Thatchers "Old Rascal"

As a resident of Mark - you cannot really go wrong with some Rich's Cider who make it in the village (drop of sweet topped up with dry) - and size container you want up to 10 litres - it is a great drink for a warm sunny day - and is only 5oo yards from me which is always rather tempting...........hic

20 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Well everyone has their own taste, if you took someones advice and took loads back and you didnt like it, it would be money wasted. (although you could get your usual and take a sample of something else home, that'll be your best bet tbh in finding what you like out of the myriad of ciders out there)

I personally cannot get enough of Scrumpy Jack cider 6% but Thatchers Haze and Gold also come good if I cannot get the Jacks. Never been one for the flat cider though, to me thats awful stuff, as is most mainstream "ciders" like Bulmers/Strongbow/Magners - Yuck!

Morrisons supermarket own branded cider that comes in their 2.5litre bottles isnt bad either, the only "supermarket" brand I like, only because for me, it tastes like Thatchers "Old Rascal"

Thatchers brew a lot of the supermarket ciders - so maybe closer than you think to OR! 

Hey, I've got a cider question. The Swedish state owned Systembolaget used to have a cider called "Green Goblin" on the shelves, which I've been trying to find. It was made by Wychwood brewery and it looked like this:

greengoblin_large.png

Now, I found a cider to order by the same name etc. which is manufactured by Thatcher's brewery. Are the two breweries linked though? Same owner or Thatcher's simply bought the brand and took over production?

I can't just walk into a shop and get it where I'm from, so I'd be happy for some advice. I've also tasted Thatcher's Gold and I love it, but I'm still curious about this item.

10 minutes ago, Olympian said:

Hey, I've got a cider question. The Swedish state owned Systembolaget used to have a cider called "Green Goblin" on the shelves, which I've been trying to find. It was made by Wychwood brewery and it looked like this:

greengoblin_large.png

Now, I found a cider to order by the same name etc. which is manufactured by Thatcher's brewery. Are the two breweries linked though? Same owner or Thatcher's simply bought the brand and took over production?

I can't just walk into a shop and get it where I'm from, so I'd be happy for some advice. I've also tasted Thatcher's Gold and I love it, but I'm still curious about this item.

I'm a big fan of Green Goblin. I believe that Thatcher's took over production a few years after Wychwood started making it, though Thatchers may have always made it for them, I'm not sure. I haven't had one for a couple of years but as far as I could tell the taste was the same under both labels.

I consider myself lucky to live 5 miles as the crow flies to the Thatchers Cider farm. That all the pubs sell it around here.

Whenever I go to Devon or Cornwall, I'm often having to go for something else and its the same thing that happened when I went up norf to Blackpool recently.

Had to settle for Bulmers Red which is more expensive (but bloody nice)

Strongbow Pear and Bulmers Pear is the same bloody stuff btw, but its cheaper if you buy it as a Strongbow instead of Bulmers where you can find it.

Lambrinis Perry isnt bad, sold in champagne looking bottles as well. Can be dead cheap too if you know where to look (it varies) had the big big bottles for £2.50 each on occasion, thats dirt cheap for being in glass bottles.

If I was to say the new taste of Green Goblin was worse I think I'd be in a bad position but it was changed significantly. Also it's now 5% instead of 6.

I think they simply kept the old recipe but they stopped it from over-maturing, which made the cider taste more like regular Thatcher's.

On 5/12/2017 at 14:09, Olympian said:

If I was to say the new taste of Green Goblin was worse I think I'd be in a bad position but it was changed significantly. Also it's now 5% instead of 6.

I think they simply kept the old recipe but they stopped it from over-maturing, which made the cider taste more like regular Thatcher's.

Thats a shame if true. It was alright as an odd last resort, maybe like if you say to "taste more like regular Thatcher's" was to increase sales? Plus they can sell it cheaper at 5% than 6% due to taxes. I remember when Smirnoff Ice was 5% (its now 4% in the supermarkets BUT you can still buy the 5% version online at great expense.)

Archived