IGNORED

Radio Bristol

frenchred

10 hours ago, JHAGa said:

You think our squad is drastically better than Forest's? Really? Where did I say I 'accepted' the result? I singled out the free kick because we lost a game from a wonder goal and I was replying to someone who claimed that the players weren't playing for the manager. If that was the case we would have lost 5-0.

But that's the point. Concentrating on how we lost the game (specifically, what an opposition did to win it) rather than what we constructively did to impact the game, is symptomatic of this culture Lee Johnson has started over the course of this season, of being able to downplay a very low standard of football because the opponent 'only won by x'. It's such distortion of the situation and it's the main reason we all, from manager to players to fans have become so complacent.

Not having a go at you, but "we lost a game from a wonder goal" is just such a perfect example of this passive attitude Johnson has engendered. Is that really what you think happened? Happy to acknowledge the game was won by a wonder goal, but we didn't lose due to a wonder goal. This is where all this Johnson spin has got us. Commenting on fine margins in how an opponent secures a win. We lose by not doing anything ourselves. Over 90 minutes, not one moment.

On that day yes I do think our squad was much better than a Forest squad in free fall and whose fans had given up on them and were howling at them from the off, expecting them to lose. They were very poor. Don't forget as much as we were about to complete a record run of defeats, many (at a guess, you included) were saying at the time we weren't playing badly. We surely had it in ourselves to do more than just turn up and "lose to a wonder goal". What did WE do? 

And sorry to tell you, if your main argument is about players playing for the manager - the players were not playing for the manager that day, it was the first time it was painfully obvious to me (and the day I was certain Johnson had to go) and hand on heart it was worse than the Brentford and Preston games in the past week. The reason it wasn't 5-0, to your point, is precisely because Forest were such an abysmal team with no confidence themselves... and we did nothing.

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

That's fine if there is consistency - from a person able to highlight his own failings.

Without the latter it becomes a very unpleasant looking blame culture. 

He is the manager not the player, we want a 'tough' manager that can command respect, and yet he is condemned for being honest. How many managers do we know actually sincerely condemn themselves on camera? That would give the players a real free for all wouldn't it?  Most players to-day are millionaires, they need to be motivated in other ways, nothing wrong with a bit of honesty. 

Just now, 1bristolcity said:

He is the manager not the player, we want a 'tough' manager that can command respect, and yet he is condemned for being honest. How many managers do we know actually sincerely condemn themselves on camera? That would give the players a real free for all wouldn't it?  Most players to-day are millionaires, they need to be motivated in other ways, nothing wrong with a bit of honesty. 

I'm more alluding to an honest appraisal of things, including his decisions. What the man says rarely reflects what we see with our own eyes. Don't foster belief or trust. 

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

In all seriousness what Geoff Twentyman needs to ask Steve Lansdown is, you have given Lee Johnson your unequivocal support this season, to that end, how well has he performed as Head Coach during the current campaign?

And why has LJ been given this level of support when his (very successful) predecessor was not?

11 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

More amazing clairvoyancy.

PS. Just in case you are Mystic Meg, who's going to win the National tomorrow?

Why don't you ask the fella dressed as a fortune teller:

1635436.main_image.jpg.c8ad972c746429e66e7cc118f7053c04.jpg

7 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

In all seriousness what Geoff Twentyman needs to ask Steve Lansdown is, you have given Lee Johnson your unequivocal support this season, to that end, how well has he performed as Head Coach during the current campaign?

Exactly. 

Tell the fans what you see that they can't. 

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

In his televised interview he says of that incident and I quote: "singling out players is not ideal" . So my question to Lee Johnson then is this:-

"Why do you do it week in and week out Mr. Johnson?" And, "Do you not think that it demotivates a player when you wash the dirty linen in public in such a demeaning and crass manner?" The man has no clue of man management, that much we all know, or he would not keep doing it and either he has no memory of continuing to do it or he is so blasé about his failed methods.  

When asked whether he could look all his players in the eye he immediately looking away from the questioner, and said yes he could followed by that horribly condescending word 'listen'..... The guy has no back bone, he has no business managing this great club. I have never felt so detached from any man trying to run a football team. That it happens to be the one I support just adds significant sea salt to the wound.

It is incredibly sad that we see more and more posters come on to OTIB and actually say they hope we lose; it has got that bad. And no doubt in my mind that from those murmurings there may well come a day when it turns into a torrent and then Steve Lansdown may lose the plot completely and utterly and really blame the fans for the fine mess he, and he alone, has created here. A very hard truth is unravelling. Win or lose today makes not a jot of difference. Stay up or be relegated, makes not a jot of difference either. It has gone way beyond that now for the majority.

What an absolutely brilliant post @havanatopia, I doff my hat to you sir.

47 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

He doesn't trust the player, actually I can see his point, he is too lightweight and get's pushed around, to say that should be 'final straw'is crazy with respect, players have to take responsibility too, poor little things, can't hurt their feelings. Luke Shaw got similar treatment this week, good, might make him a better player, and might help 'Maggers' too.

Well here is the thing firstly he signed the player, perhaps a little more in depth anslysis was called for, in fact perhaps a little more in depth analysis should been done for most of his signings and especially his January panic failure signings as well.

And if your next LJ laminated excuse card is that somebody else signed these players, then carrying on with your honesty theme perhaps say 'I have been lumbered with x,y and z and they ain't good enough'.

And even more on your honesty and publicly slating players?, Bryan (the LJ proclaimed wonder left back), Reid (the next Dele Ali), Pack, the invisible Paterson, there is a long list of untrustworthy players.

But lets actually cut to the chase the bit of this latest debacle that you so conveniently ignore, we were 3-0 down when he brought Magnusson on, he might as well have brought on the ghosts of our 2 greatest ever players John Atyeo and Gerry Gow both when in their prime and we would still have lost.

And finally let me actually reveal to you the unconfortable truth about his cowardly comments and actually uncover the real motive, it was his gutless way of answering the fans questions about why Magnusson has not been tried at left back instead of the astonishingly failing Bryan, you mention lightweight and pushed around well add to that tactically unaware, getting skinned far too easily, never ever getting close to his man and cowering when a opponent pulls the trigger and I give you Joe Bryan.

17 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I work, as well as try and offer a balanced view on here.

1. He is young and will learn and get better.

2. He actually loves Bristol City.

3. He has been voted in the top 10 of young and promising coaches.

4. Who on Earth do we replace him with?

You can add to the list if you want...

I can't believe I missed this. And I can't really add anything to the pasting you've already had at the hands of @NickJ and everyone else. But allow me to contribute to number 4. 

4. Anyone. Absolutely anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can't believe I missed this. And I can't really add anything to the pasting you've already had at the hands of @NickJ and everyone else. But allow me to contribute to number 4. 

4. Anyone. Absolutely anyone. 

I wouldn't restrict that to anyone from just Earth either.  I'd include anyone from other planets such as Mars or Venus too.

38 minutes ago, Olé said:

What an absolutely brilliant post @havanatopia, I doff my hat to you sir.

I liked your post as I couldn't like @havanatopia's twice :clapping:

25 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

But lets actually cut to the chase the bit of this latest debacle that you so conveniently ignore, we were 3-0 down when he brought Magnusson on, he might as well have brought on the ghosts of our 2 greatest ever players John Atyeo and Gerry Gow both when in their prime and we would still have lost.

And finally let me actually reveal to you the unconfortable truth about his cowardly comments and actually uncover the real motive, it was his gutless way of answering the fans questions about why Magnusson has not been tried at left back instead of the astonishingly failing Bryan, you mention lightweight and pushed around well add to that tactically unaware, getting skinned far too easily, never ever getting close to his man and cowering when a opponent pulls the trigger and I give you Joe Bryan.

:clap:

What about pointed sticks ? 

12 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The plan was always to get another striker or two, unfortunately we couldn't get any deals across the line.

"We never had any intention of selling Jonathan" SL, 2 Sept 2016, club youtube interview with Adam Baker.

"I didn't think a Championship side would match our valuation." SL, same interview (did you make any "what if" plans though, Steve? Or Mark? Should I say).

"....the game at Scunthorpe.....Jonathan didn't want to play in that game......he did sit on the bench......reluctantly......he made his feelings known......he wanted to move........when you get in that situation, you have to make a decision" SL, same interview

".....the decision was, both Mark and Lee recommended to me that we accept the offer......so I went along with it." SL

So, I don't think the plan was always to get another striker or two, Up The City, I think we can see the thinking was "relax! No-one's going to pay £15m for Kodj" and then when Kodj suddenly "made his feelings known" late in the window, the thinking changed to "shit! He's going to be a pain in the arse if we don't sell him to Villa - and probably run his contract down and we'll get nowt - we'd better let him go to Villa......where's Des? Wasn't there some Swedish kiddie he said we should bring in up front?......"

Something like that.

Great money but the first team were and continue to be a bit depleted up front, despite getting another striker or two since then.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

Useful time to share @BristolNorthEndRed's excellent transcript of the last Twentyman interview of SL, for comparison purposes. Also a reminder that GT doesn't shy from asking the questions that need to be asked or calling out spin when he hears it.

Reading that transcript makes me believe that LJ is quite literally a puppet, with all strings being pulled by SL.

I've heard about him wanting to influence the team/tactics before,but reading that - and perhaps I'm reading too much into it - he has what he wants in LJ: someone who will do his dirty work and let him fulfill get his way.

15 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Like I said, I don't think he's perfect by any means, I just don't like the abuse (not critcism) aimed at him. I guess you could say he's had significant financial backing but that's balanced by an even net spend and the loss of a key player.

Board are responsible moreso than LJ for me.

"Even net spend" - NO NO NO! A completely misleading statistic. Kodjia went but was replaced by Tammy, a player worth arguably £20m.

Technically the net spend might have been even, but in terms of players at his disposal, LJ has a far more valuable squad. It is no excuse whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well here is the thing firstly he signed the player, perhaps a little more in depth anslysis was called for, in fact perhaps a little more in depth analysis should been done for most of his signings and especially his January panic failure signings as well.

And if your next LJ laminated excuse card is that somebody else signed these players, then carrying on with your honesty theme perhaps say 'I have been lumbered with x,y and z and they ain't good enough'.

And even more on your honesty and publicly slating players?, Bryan (the LJ proclaimed wonder left back), Reid (the next Dele Ali), Pack, the invisible Paterson, there is a long list of untrustworthy players.

Blimey, is it that bad? We are so fickle it's funny, trouble is posts like this make it look so easy, management, and yet I wonder why we are in such a mess with all this superb advice being banded around....Football fans eh? 

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

That's fine if there is consistency - from a person able to highlight his own failings.

Without the latter it becomes a very unpleasant looking blame culture. 

Gawd we have all gone soft then..Brian Clough, Ferguson, Tommy Doc, all great men motivators, and probably didn't agonise too much about the need to be self critical.   

Archived