IGNORED

Scott Davidson... how right was he...

ricardob59

I love how Lansdown is the one who uses the club as his "plaything" and yet it was Scott Davidson who went out and bought an extra striker while his manager was on holiday rather than the boring, unglamorous defender we needed, like he was playing championship manager

I haven't read SLs comments but it's sounds like they're extremely insensitive and misguided. But welcome to modern football ladies and gentlemen. The fans don't own the clubs, the rich people do. Because it's practically impossible to operate a professional football club withou significant investment. So cut some of the melodrama. Lansdown has some serious flaws as an owner and chairman, but I'd rather him than a faceless Chinese consortium, a Middle East Shiek, a dodgy Malaysian businessman or a Russian gangster looking to launder some oil money. Better the devil you know...

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

I love how Lansdown is the one who uses the club as his "plaything" and yet it was Scott Davidson who went out and bought an extra striker while his manager was on holiday rather than the boring, unglamorous defender we needed, like he was playing championship manager

I haven't read SLs comments but it's sounds like they're extremely insensitive and misguided. But welcome to modern football ladies and gentlemen. The fans don't own the clubs, the rich people do. Because it's practically impossible to operate a professional football club withou significant investment. So cut some of the melodrama. Lansdown has some serious flaws as an owner and chairman, but I'd rather him than a faceless Chinese consortium, a Middle East Shiek, a dodgy Malaysian businessman or a Russian gangster looking to launder some oil money. Better the devil you know...

I did NOT

13 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Perhaps he wants his new posh stand all to himself?

Seems to me that so many people who post on here aren't happy unless they are moaning. Johnson's post match interview was interesting.  At least he admitted he'd made mistakes. And it seemed to me that the crowd was well behind the team today. Maybe the moaners kept to their word and stayed away. They weren't missed. 

3 hours ago, ricardob59 said:

Many moons ago, Scott Davidson told us;

"Bristol City will be in safe hands with SL... Financially..."

BUT...

"The worry we will all have is that it will be HIS club - and HIS toy.."

After today's interview I know exactly what he mean't..

Bristol City is NOT our club..

Its part of Bristol Sport & its 'one mans dream'..

So hurtful 

Scott was a great chairman. A little like Simon Jordan. No doubt he would have sacked LJ. Where is he now?

9 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Seems to me that so many people who post on here aren't happy unless they are moaning. Johnson's post match interview was interesting.  At least he admitted he'd made mistakes. And it seemed to me that the crowd was well behind the team today. Maybe the moaners kept to their word and stayed away. They weren't missed. 

Everyone has a right to an opinion.. And I respect yours..

But I think 'moaning' is not exactly the case..

In my opinion it's all about concern & wanting the very best for BCFC..

I'm not sure how anyone can be happy with the decline over the season..? 

And they arrogance of our owner today was 'kick in teeth' - as if to say it's my way or high way.. 

Some of you guys should be very careful what you wish for. Perfect it ain't - but grow a bloody pair puh.....lease! 

Every owner in the country will see their club as their toy.

We just grumble about it when things aren't going our way.

I just took it that he meant that he was just as entitled to his opinion as us fans, as he pays his way too (if I'm not mistaken, the quote followed the question; something along the lines of "how do you feel about the paying fans voicing their opinions" (paraphrasing)). I think in context, it wasn't as bad as it's being made out to be.

And no...... I'm not happy with how the season has panned out! But yes I'm still going; and yes I'm still singing, clapping and cheering at the games like today.

Can't we just enjoy a good win for once?

1 hour ago, gamon said:

Rob, Lansdown has well out of order here.

I've not heard the interview as can't get anything to work currently over here!!

SL has made many mistakes and continues to do so and the worrying thing is he doesn't seem to learn from them, however, I won't be told I have no 'self respect' because I'm buying a ST next year 

28 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Some of you guys should be very careful what you wish for. Perfect it ain't - but grow a bloody pair puh.....lease! 

Every owner in the country will see their club as their toy.

We just grumble about it when things aren't going our way.

I just took it that he meant that he was just as entitled to his opinion as us fans, as he pays his way too (if I'm not mistaken, the quote followed the question; something along the lines of "how do you feel about the paying fans voicing their opinions" (paraphrasing)). I think in context, it wasn't as bad as it's being made out to be.

And no...... I'm not happy with how the season has panned out! But yes I'm still going; and yes I'm still singing, clapping and cheering at the games like today.

Can't we just enjoy a good win for once?

This is the difference between English football and Bayern Munich who you have to respect. A club who respects the fans!

The old adage of be careful what you wish for holds good here.  If SL wants to treat it as his toy, well its his money and his privilege.  The club is supported by the fans but not owned by it.  Yes we all put our hard earned cash into the coffers but it's a piss in the ocean  compared to the total cost of running the club.  So all the moaners want him to take a hike. And what would you get in his place? Some oriental consortium who want to have the club playing in lucky sky blue pink? Follow the well trodden path of putting enough in to try and reach  the promised land of the premiership so they can take out as much of the revenue as they can.  Do you think they'd give a shit about the fans? I don't.  The club won't be relegated. Hopefully the summer will see some changes and some new faces will be brought in. Someone has to take the place of Abraham and that will be an impossible act to follow. But maybe, just maybe  we'll all be back in August  in a different frame of mind.  I hope so.

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Load of bollocks, what you on about 'self respect' 

I've seen it all before and no doubt will see it again / I will be buying my daughter her first ST and as usual will be amongst mates, can't wait, what will be will be 

Good for you hope you enjoy it.

And as for "self respect" your decision if you bought a ST ticket before today But after today's interview you might think differently.

I won't be buying a season ticket definitely while Johnson is here and probably while Lansdown treats the fans like ******* idiots. 

Basically Johnson will remain as manager "until I decide otherwise" well Steve Ashton Gate is yours you have manipulated that position congratulations but my ass won't be sat in it after this season for the foreseeable future.

10 hours ago, ricardob59 said:

Many moons ago, Scott Davidson told us;

"Bristol City will be in safe hands with SL... Financially..."

BUT...

"The worry we will all have is that it will be HIS club - and HIS toy.."

After today's interview I know exactly what he mean't..

Bristol City is NOT our club..

Its part of Bristol Sport & its 'one mans dream'..

So hurtful 

yes **** him hope he ***** off now

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was bizarre from start to finish, pretty sure he said at one point that if the fans want him to go he will but then said "but I won't do that".

I think what he meant by 'but I won't do that' is that he has no intention of walking away. Some may have interpreted his previous comment as meaning he was thinking of it and he didn't want to give that impression. Just a bit of a clumsy way of putting it.

I for one am pleased to hear that he isn't thinking of walking due to criticism on social media. Anyone who thinks we can progress without the kind of financial backing SL gives us is deluded. I also think the reaction to his interview on here has been typically OTT.

He basically said he has a plan that he believes in and if it goes wrong then blame him. He has seen the club lose money and get nowhere buying journeyman and changing managers willy niily. He wants to try a different approach to see if it works. I think it is the right idea but LJ is the wrong person. However it is Steve's money that he is spending. If we stay up and really struggle next season I think SL will eventually pull the plug. He may be stubborn but his patience will have its limits.

It strikes me there's a lot of bed-wetting going on over this Lansdown interview. Some of the reactions are embarrassing and at best naive. Unless the club is fan owned then every other club in the country is run like ours, and fans get no say on managers, policy etc.

If people genuinely want SL to clear off and have a fan ownership model instead, then you can kiss goodbye to any chance of the Prem. 

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Hasn't been our club a long time before sl took the helm including Scott Davidson 

Would you like to articulate that further?

Post 82 many fans were stakeholders. In theory thousands. Fans held the board and Chairman to account.

With the changing of the clubs constitution and individuals being allowed to own a larger than 25% stake holding the above has been wiped away.

13 hours ago, NickJ said:

Basically Johnson will remain as manager "until I decide otherwise" well Steve Ashton Gate is yours you have manipulated that position congratulations but my ass won't be sat in it after this season for the foreseeable future.

What else can be say at this point in the season?

The most stupid reply to Twentyman's question would be "I'll probably sack Lee Johnson if we lose heavily again or we get relegated".

Lansdown has to show outward support for Johnson and back him right up to that inevitable moment when he pulls the trigger.

That's management. That's football and that's life. Anyone who thinks they would have been a better owner/financier than Steve Lansdown over the last 10+ years I'll tell you for a fact that you wouldn't have been.

And put yourself in his position yesterday. Twentyman asked all the tough questions that we've wanted to hear since Christmas. And Lansdown answered every single one of them. He was as honest as he could have been in these very difficult circumstances. His replies were clumsy at times but that's him. He is not a trained politician, he's a self-made businessman and billionaire.

Does he get things wrong? Yes, of course. I've been known to get things wrong as well.

Has he learnt from his mistakes? Yes. Does it mean he should get everything right now and in the future? Of course not. It's entirely possible that he will make more mistakes.

Just look at the owners up and down the divisions and take some time to see the crap that other fans have to put up with.

I've been going to Ashton Gate since 1982 and there were some very dark days in the years after Alan Dicks. We were basically Portsmouth but playing in an older and shabbier ground.

We are extremely fortunate to have Lansdown backing us. I hope he's still here in 20 years. And if he still makes a few mistakes, I'll put up with it because that's just human fallibility and believe it or not, nobody is perfect.

The man has done much more for Bristol City and local sport than any other individual in my lifetime. Perhaps those who are so happy to tear strips off his efforts would like to post their efforts and contributions below:

10 minutes ago, eric04 said:

It strikes me there's a lot of bed-wetting going on over this Lansdown interview. Some of the reactions are embarrassing and at best naive. Unless the club is fan owned then every other club in the country is run like ours, and fans get no say on managers, policy etc.

If people genuinely want SL to clear off and have a fan ownership model instead, then you can kiss goodbye to any chance of the Prem. 

With FC interests outsourced to Bristol Sport, and the FC being tenants at Ashton Gate with another sporting club under a umbrella organisation can you identify even a handful of clubs run like ours?

6 minutes ago, Xiled said:

What else can be say at this point in the season?

The most stupid reply to Twentyman's question would be "I'll probably sack Lee Johnson if we lose heavily again or we get relegated".

Lansdown has to show outward support for Johnson and back him right up to that inevitable moment when he pulls the trigger.

That's management. That's football and that's life. Anyone who thinks they would have been a better owner/financier than Steve Lansdown over the last 10+ years I'll tell you for a fact that you wouldn't have been.

And put yourself in his position yesterday. Twentyman asked all the tough questions that we've wanted to hear since Christmas. And Lansdown answered every single one of them. He was as honest as he could have been in these very difficult circumstances. His replies were clumsy at times but that's him. He is not a trained politician, he's a self-made businessman and billionaire.

Does he get things wrong? Yes, of course. I've been known to get things wrong as well.

Has he learnt from his mistakes? Yes. Does it mean he should get everything right now and in the future? Of course not. It's entirely possible that he will make more mistakes.

Just look at the owners up and down the divisions and take some time to see the crap that other fans have to put up with.

I've been going to Ashton Gate since 1982 and there were some very dark days in the years after Alan Dicks. We were basically Portsmouth but playing in an older and shabbier ground.

We are extremely fortunate to have Lansdown backing us. I hope he's still here in 20 years. And if he still makes a few mistakes, I'll put up with it because that's just human fallibility and believe it or not, nobody is perfect.

The man has done much more for Bristol City and local sport than any other individual in my lifetime. Perhaps those who are so happy to tear strips off his efforts would like to post their efforts and contributions below:

That is an opinion.

Your final paragraph is insulting to those who are not billionaires who put their lives and soul into local football for free.

Examples: Bristol two biggest junior clubs are charities, ran by people for free for nothing other than the love of the game. I would suggest that there are fans with emotional investments in football every bit as big as Mr Lansdowns ... No they do more.

Archived