IGNORED

Lansdown the real story

Citychuds

In my opinion, Stephen Lansdown is a City legend and has done massive amounts for the club, completely for our benefit, when he could have been using his vast sums of money for a multitude of other possibilities around the globe.  I do not understand any criticism of such a great man, irrespective of some ill-judged comments yesterday.

Any fan who questions his actions, motivations, or what he has done for City baffles me.

SL is only guilty of showing too much loyalty to LJ when most other chairmen would not have.  But he clearly admires, likes, and respects LJ and sees him as a manager capable of developing City in the correct way.  As it now seems, we will stay up this season and Lee would've learnt an incredible amount from the problems we've faced.

I cannot believe the need to defend a man who has sanctioned a sensational redevelopment of Ashton Gate, oversaw promotions from League One, and during his tenure, had the club one game away from the Prem.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

In my opinion, Stephen Lansdown is a City legend and has done massive amounts for the club, completely for our benefit, when he could have been using his vast sums of money for a multitude of other possibilities around the globe.  I do not understand any criticism of such a great man, irrespective of some ill-judged comments yesterday.

Any fan who questions his actions, motivations, or what he has done for City baffles me.

SL is only guilty of showing too much loyalty to LJ when most other chairmen would not have.  But he clearly admires, likes, and respects LJ and sees him as a manager capable of developing City in the correct way.  As it now seems, we will stay up this season and Lee would've learnt an incredible amount from the problems we've faced.

I cannot believe the need to defend a man who has sanctioned a sensational redevelopment of Ashton Gate, oversaw promotions from League One, and during his tenure, had the club one game away from the Prem.

Woooooah steady on! There is plenty of football to play yet!

12 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

He is a billionaire businessman ploughing his money into the club. Do people really expect him to be a media savvy middle of the road interviewee? Geoff did a good job pushing for something sensational and got a few poorly worded answers, but little that was worth the furore on here.

People moan when they hear the same old interview littered with clichés, yet when someone strays from a pr script the same people get upset. He has invested more than anyone. Fact. He knows the buck stops with him. Fact. He is sticking to his principles, which we may not agree with right now, but just maybe he has learnt his lessons the hard way re managers. He has the right to do this as he is the owner, the same way 91 other clubs are run, rightly or wrongly. 

Who is next on the hitlist?

Nobody put a gun to his head to buy the club and constantly have to financially bail himself out because of constant poor decisions . 

23 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Cardiff have been to an FA cup final, played in the Premier League and are in mid table not struggling to stay in this division.

I would swap places with Cardiff 

Cardiff sacrificed their identity for one miserable season in the Premier League and now find themselves in the same division as us. Assuming we go on to survive, we start next season in exactly the same position as them.

Whatever Steve Lansdown's current failings, they pale into insignificance compared to the detestable regime of Vincent Tan. Their fanbase wrapped red scarves around their necks on their way up, and conveniently only objected to the "rebrand" in meaningful numbers on the way back down. A shameful lack of respect for their own club.

Not in a million years would I swap places with them.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nobody put a gun to his head to buy the club and constantly have to financially bail himself out because of constant poor decisions . 

Nonsense, he has not made numerous poor decisions.  He's only human, we all makes mistakes.

Even keeping Lee Johnson could still be the right decision over an extended period of time.

13 minutes ago, Citychuds said:

Woooooah steady on! There is plenty of football to play yet!

For me, I'm taking the personal stance that the job's done.  I expected to lose yesterday and Blackburn to beat Barnsley, meaning we would drop in the bottom 3.

The reverse of this has blown my mind!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Cardiff sacrificed their identity for one miserable season in the Premier League and now find themselves in the same division as us. Assuming we go on to survive, we start next season in exactly the same position as them.

Whatever Steve Lansdown's current failings, they pale into insignificance compared to the detestable regime of Vincent Tan. Their fanbase wrapped red scarves around their necks on their way up, and conveniently only objected to the "rebrand" in meaningful numbers on the way back down. A shameful lack of respect for their own club.

Not in a million years would I swap places with them.

Rebranding of Cardiff not a lot of difference between City rebranding and becoming Bristol Sport. 

Im not knocking Bristol sport I have never indifferent attitude to it.

But I would have taken the last ten years of Cardiff compared to the last ten years of us.

Apart Tann clumsy attempt of changing the club to a lucky red colour(I know red have been so lucky for us), they have now changed back to blue, I not sure what else he have done wrong.

Have Tann alienated the fan base? Well I think we can claim that SL have done the same with a large majority of our fans.

What Tann did to was to sack a young manager who was out of his depth and looking certain candidates for relegation and replace him for a top manager at this level.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Nonsense, he has not made numerous poor decisions.  He's only human, we all makes mistakes.

Even keeping Lee Johnson could still be the right decision over an extended period of time.

Um your talking shit  mate. £50m in debt a few years ago all his fault . Tinnion, coppell, Millen, O'driscoll , Mciiness ,Johnson . All his decisions . The current mess is his fault. As far as you saying we all make mistakes, he keeps making the same mistakes time and time again. 

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Am I going round the twist or was it not you having been a big defender as you are now , that that started a thread / and or were critical of LJ / SL in the last week ?

I apologise in advance if I'm wrong and you have been unwavering/consistent in your support

12 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Did you listen to the interview? It wasn't said in a boastful or mocking tone, he was stating a fact. Misguided perhaps, because people on the internet will grill him over it, but only stating the truth to show that he cares for the club as much as any supporter. Him doing an interview (a very tough one) shows he cares about the fans and is open. I don't agree with every decision SL makes but admire him for many things too. His dedication to the club, his loyalty to LJ (again, maybe misguided, but hopefully not in the long-term), his openness. Look at clubs like Blackpool, Leyton Orient and Coventry. Be thankful that we have a man born locally, that loves the club backing us. He has his faults, as do we all but I wouldn't want anyone else as owner.

People are just frustrated and want to make something out of a few words in a long, intense interview in which SL was admirably honest.

I just don't see how people can see it as anything other than that, no matter what frustrations they have over this season. I'm sure SL is aware that the majority are behind him.

Agree with this and think that honesty is something they must have talked about behind the scenes as I was equally impressed with LJ's honest interview on Radio Bristol after the match. Talking about making mistakes and needing to learn from them.

I have kept saying that the issue for me is staying up. Should we do that then I'd be happy with LJ being give a chance to learn and improve and based on yesterday's game, barring the first 15, I was encouraged.

32 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It depends what you want in a football club as to whether you think SL has been good. Glad you're happy. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Am I going round the twist or was it not you having been a big defender as you are now , that that started a thread / and or were critical of LJ / SL in the last week ?

I apologise in advance if I'm wrong and you have been unwavering/consistent in your support

I was very critical after losing 5-0 to Preston, but the anger has cooled since then.  I shouldn't post for over 24 hours after a bad defeat, as I quite often become the angriest man on the planet!

My attitude now is to accept LJ is in charge and hope we can stay up - which now looks good.

I've always been an admirer and fan of SL.

Just now, reddogkev said:

I was very critical after losing 5-0 to Preston, but the anger has cooled since then.  I shouldn't post for over 24 hours after a bad defeat, as I quite often become the angriest man on the planet!

My attitude now is to accept LJ is in charge and hope we can stay up - which now looks good.

I've always been an admirer and fan of SL.

Strong defender-strong critic-strong defender

Blimey I've known people have a change of mind / view but not to and fro in an instant and in such a rigorous way 

:blink:

8 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Rebranding of Cardiff not a lot of difference between City rebranding and becoming Bristol Sport. 

But I would have taken the last ten years of Cardiff compared to the last ten years of us.

Apart Tann clumsy attempt of changing the club to a lucky red colour(I know red have been so lucky for us), they have now changed back to blue, I not sure what else he have done wrong.

Have Tann alienated the fan base? Well I think we can claim that SL have done the same with a large majority of our fans.

What Tann did to was to sack a young manager who was out of his depth and looking certain candidates for relegation and replace him for a top manager at this level.

"Not a lot of difference between City rebranding and becoming Bristol Sport".

Complete and utter rubbish. Bristol City have not become Bristol Sport. Bristol City FC are still Bristol City FC playing in red shirts with the same badge. In terms of impact on our identity, it has little more difference than when a club changes its shirt supplier.

The colour of a shirt is synonymous with a club, it is the symbol of what your club represents. To change it on a whim is to rip the heart out of a club's identity to the point where they become quite literally unrecognisable from what they were before. Bristol Sport has had nowhere near that impact.

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I have run a multi million pound company and in my professional opinion the man is a fool, although I grant you a rich fool. Money never equates automatically with common sense let alone good manners 

And just because you have run a multi million pound company this doesn't make you some kind Oracle. You have no inside knowledge of our football club at all to come to some of your conclusions.

I'm very surprised at some of your comments if this is indeed your background; as I'm sure your aware, all successful organisations need strong leadership, at times a bloody minded single mindedness. You have to know when to listen to the masses and when to plough a lone (usually very lonely and stressful!) Furrow.

I find some of the comments on here at times, from posters that have, in the past, shown great pragmatism, quite perplexing at the moment. I'm sure some of these posters will be quite embarrassed by their posts in years to come.

Now is the time for emotional detachment; not shooting from the hip. We have a good owner, sorry though, that's warts an' all!

I can only assume you must have had it easy in your career, judging by your stance and many of your comments.

You opinion is of course as valid as any others on here; just stop assuming that your always right (something you seem to be critical of SL?).

CTID

25 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Complete and utter rubbish. Bristol City have not become Bristol Sport. Bristol City FC are still Bristol City FC playing in red shirts with the same badge. In terms of impact on our identity, it has little more difference than when a club changes its shirt supplier.

The colour of a shirt is synonymous with a club, it is the symbol of what your club represents. To change it on a whim is to rip the heart out of a club's identity to the point where they become quite literally unrecognisable from what they were before. Bristol Sport has had nowhere near that impact.

Agree ,on the whole , but personally I don't like that we share away kits with the Rugby etc (Also hate the kit)

Lets hope it stops there with kits

The Bristol Sport 'Branding' is increasingly being pushed

31 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Majority of our fans ?  On what basis do you say this. He has not alienated me or many others who lurk here.  I am thank full every time I walk into the stadium for what the man has done.  Might think he has got it wrong with LJ but we might all be proved wrong yet.  Those on this forum shout loudest but speaking for majority of fans who never set foot on this forum ?

The Twenty stone interview with him was brilliant, and re read the transcript on another thread. I read it that things always being reviewed and even LJ was under review. 

10 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

And just because you have run a multi million pound company this doesn't make you some kind Oracle. You have no inside knowledge of our football club at all to come to some of your conclusions.

I'm very surprised at some of your comments if this is indeed your background; as I'm sure your aware, all successful organisations need strong leadership, at times a bloody minded single mindedness. You have to know when to listen to the masses and when to plough a lone (usually very lonely and stressful!) Furrow.

I find some of the comments on here at times, from posters that have, in the past, shown great pragmatism, quite perplexing at the moment. I'm sure some of these posters will be quite embarrassed by their posts in years to come.

Now is the time for emotional detachment; not shooting from the hip. We have a good owner, sorry though, that's warts an' all!

I can only assume you must have had it easy in your career, judging by your stance and many of your comments.

You opinion is of course as valid as any others on here; just stop assuming that your always right (something you seem to be critical of SL?).

CTID

You are welcome to your opinion but the facts speak differently

Time will tell which of us is proved correct

14 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

It's very difficult when you're put on the spot like he was, if he'd had time to prepare his answer I'm sure he would have phrased it differently. I used to have a similar scenario in one of the jobs I had a few years ago, and when under pressure and trying to defend a position it's difficult to think straight and the words don't always come out right.

It should only be difficult to defend if you don't really believe in what you're defending?

Praise to Twentyman for asking the right questions and credit to SL for agreeing to do the interview.

I've got a lot of time for SL, he has put a lot of his money into his passion and whether you agree or disagree with his decisions, it's blatantly clear he cares about what he does. I don't buy into the theory he is some evil dictator that wishes to destroy the clubs traditional fan base, he's improved the stadium and infrastructure beyond recognition, and catered for all as best he could.

We all wanted some answers to some difficult questions put to him, he came out to his credit and fumbled through it, it sounded very uncomfortable and we got the blood and guts we all desired. Anybody care to name another owner who does this as often as he does?

I can't see how anyone can be disappointed in that, he never really convinced me with his answers on Pemberton or he truly believed Lee Johnson deserved more time in the job but, if that's his opinion then I'm glad it's out there on record. I'm far from a happy clapper but we could seriously do so so much worse than him at the helm.

Nothing SL said yesterday surprises me in the least. I've met him a couple of times. That's the man he is. What surprised me is that he allowed himself to be caught on the hop and blurted them out in a way that could alienate his paying customers...I bet that wouldn't have happened at Hargreaves Lansdown...

Let's face facts, he's a self-made billionaire tax exile, which rather sets him apart from the rest of us. His life experience is that his judgement is correct, he's done well by following his hunches. He's not a lifelong City fan, he doesn't connect to what most of us connect to when he thinks of City. He makes his own decisions, and in his mind he's paid for the right to do that.

Does that alienate me a bit? Yes, it does. I sit in the Dolman looking across to that new stand thinking that I'll never see the inner sanctum that the the club's rulers emerge from to watch the match. It makes me feel part of the scenery, and not part of the club. But hey ho...we're a significant part of what the Lansdowns have come to watch...the noise and the colour.

I don't think we have to dislike the man for what he's done. It is what it is and will be for until he or his son have lost interest. I wish Steve well, we'll all benefit from some good decision making. This season has baffled me...roll on next!

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

You are welcome to your opinion but the facts speak differently

Time will tell which of us is proved correct

Depends on which facts you keep to the forefront, and which to the background of your mind I guess.

When I take my seat and look at our great stadium (which still has great character!); when I see the names on the team sheet, the names that haven't made it on the team sheet, the masses of fans cheering the team on yesterday (even though we are struggling), the terrific atmosphere at the ground yesterday, the plans for the future, we'll I'm sorry I just can't be as downbeat as you. I'm not a happy clapper, but I can assure you I am a realist. I just don't see the mire that some others are seeing; problems yes, big problems, but problems I see as temporary............as uncomfortable as they are at present.

Short term pain for long term gain you might say.

Now is the time for keeping our nerve. Some appear to have become spooked and are running for the hills; or worse still applying mob logic.

But you are right, history will judge all of us...........

14 hours ago, Citychuds said:

I'd suggest people listen to the radio interview before making their mind up! I was really annoyed having read all the snippets on this forum then I listened to interview! Arrogance? Where? 

The man has openly said yes we have considered Lee's position. He didn't at all back him unconditionally, he just said they have thought about it on a game by game basis and he continues to believe that what's going on behind the scenes justify him being head coach. 

The comment about him putting more money into the club was meant in a 'yes I put a lot of money into the club too so I understand why the fans are annoyed'. At various times he said he understood the fans annoyance.

He even talked about his plans being for the best interests of the football club, at no point did he even sound like he was saying it's my club I will do what I like.

And before I get a load of abuse about being a Johnson lover / lansdown lover / gas head etc I don't believe LJ is the right man from the performances on the pitch, I do believe Lansdown will be proved wrong in his decision to keep him, and I've supported this club for as long as a lot of you.

sounds to me like some fans listened to that interview to find an issue with SL rather than take everything he said in the true context.

Deluded he might be, time will tell, but arrogance? Not in my view

fair do, not listened to the full interview myself but judging from the bits and pieces posted on here I was happy to leap to conclusions myself! Glad to hear of the wider picture. 

38 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Majority of our fans ?  On what basis do you say this. He has not alienated me or many others who lurk here.  I am thank full every time I walk into the stadium for what the man has done.  Might think he has got it wrong with LJ but we might all be proved wrong yet.  Those on this forum shout loudest but speaking for majority of fans who never set foot on this forum ?

The Twenty stone interview with him was brilliant, and re read the transcript on another thread. I read it that things always being reviewed and even LJ was under review. 

Every City fan I speak to, and are friends with and meet, feel that the club is going in the wrong direction and SL is alienating the fans. 

Also reading the comments on here and on other social media sites , radio phone in, the majority are completely disillusioned with club, manager and owner.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tann changed the colour of the shirt. 

Don Revie at Leeds changed the colour of Leeds shirts in the 70s!

Tan changed the kit back to blue.

It would be interesting to hear the views of Cardiff fans on this subject.

I have the utmost respect for SL for coming out and giving the interview and to be fair he didn't shy away from any question really. Also, for a fan I think it was very good of Geoff Twentyman to ask the questions we've all been longing to hear an answer too. It wasn't some choreographed rubbish that we've been fed by the club, I want GT to conduct the next Mark Ashton interview! 

As for the interview itself, I think he just puts it across that it is his way or no way and we are his play thing. And we WILL pay our hard earned money to watch HIS club play football the way HE wants it to be played. We won't get promotion to the Premier League with this philosophy in place of having the right "blend". We'll be lucky to stay in the Championship with it. He can't contradict himself in saying it's all about the youth, then spend £15mil + on players? I really don't get it. 

13 hours ago, 1953 said:

I posted this on another thread but maybe appropriate here.

The old adage of be careful what you wish for holds good here.  If SL wants to treat it as his toy, well its his money and his privilege.  The club is supported by the fans but not owned by it.  Yes we all put our hard earned cash into the coffers but it's a piss in the ocean  compared to the total cost of running the club.  So all the moaners want him to take a hike. And what would you get in his place? Some oriental consortium who want to have the club playing in lucky sky blue pink? Follow the well trodden path of putting enough in to try and reach  the promised land of the premiership so they can take out as much of the revenue as they can.  Do you think they'd give a shit about the fans? I don't.  The club won't be relegated. Hopefully the summer will see some changes and some new faces will be brought in. Someone has to take the place of Abraham and that will be an impossible act to follow. But maybe, just maybe  we'll all be back in August  in a different frame of mind.  I hope so.

I won't be back. The blue half blue have joked about the franchise. SL's words yesterday confirmed that is exactly what it is. City as we once knew it is dead.

2 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Depends on which facts you keep to the forefront, and which to the background of your mind I guess.

When I take my seat and look at our great stadium (which still has great character!); when I see the names on the team sheet, the names that haven't made it on the team sheet, the masses of fans cheering the team on yesterday (even though we are struggling), the terrific atmosphere at the ground yesterday, the plans for the future, we'll I'm sorry I just can't be as downbeat as you. I'm not a happy clapper, but I can assure you I am a realist. I just don't see the mire that some others are seeing; problems yes, big problems, but problems I see as temporary............as uncomfortable as they are at present.

Short term pain for long term gain you might say.

Now is the time for keeping our nerve. Some appear to have become spooked and are running for the hills; or worse still applying mob logic.

But you are right, history will judge all of us...........

My observation on our great stadium.

It does not scream out Bristol City.

The concourse of the Lansdown Stand, the main entry point and what should be the focal point of OUR club and OUR stadium. I have been in there only once, but what was eye catching was the walls covered in the history of Bristol Rugby. I made this point before, and somebody said that there are pictures of Bristol City legends on the ceiling. Maybe there are, not looking up I didn't even notice, but I don't think anybody could deny that Bristol Rugby predominates that key area.

The concourse of the Dolman is covered in pictures of local sporting greats, not Bristol City greats.

There is not one single area of the ground that says, this is the home of Bristol City, in fact going back to that main concourse, I would say it gives the impression of being the home of Bristol Rugby with the football club as its tenant.

And before anybody mentions the Atyeo statue, I believe this was funded by the Supporters Trust, Lansdown and Bristol Sport were not interested.

Stand to be corrected if any of the above is not accurate.

Having read the transcript and listened to Johnson post match, all l find myself thinking is that both of them appear to be honest in their self appraisal and accepting of the fact that it just hasn't gone to plan.  But the reaction of the I'm going to cut off my nose to spite my face brigade is staggering.  We've got the wrong pictures up.  It ain't like it used to be.  I'm not coming back (they will.) One poster said it depends what you want in a club.  One that is financially sound and with a long term plan I think. And the flexibility to make changes when necessary. But changing McInnes, O'Driscoll and Cottrell didn't move things forward, so just maybe not acting in haste this time will pay dividends.  Time will tell.  And believe me, I'm no fan of LJ,  but the players share a lot of responsibility.  The on off efforts of some do not show  them  in a good light and hopefully they'll move on. A summer to reflect, a new season in the Championship, maybe still even a local derby........l think a lot more will be back next season than will stay at home dreaming of the good old days.

Archived