IGNORED

Lansdown the real story

Citychuds

I'd suggest people listen to the radio interview before making their mind up! I was really annoyed having read all the snippets on this forum then I listened to interview! Arrogance? Where? 

The man has openly said yes we have considered Lee's position. He didn't at all back him unconditionally, he just said they have thought about it on a game by game basis and he continues to believe that what's going on behind the scenes justify him being head coach. 

The comment about him putting more money into the club was meant in a 'yes I put a lot of money into the club too so I understand why the fans are annoyed'. At various times he said he understood the fans annoyance.

He even talked about his plans being for the best interests of the football club, at no point did he even sound like he was saying it's my club I will do what I like.

And before I get a load of abuse about being a Johnson lover / lansdown lover / gas head etc I don't believe LJ is the right man from the performances on the pitch, I do believe Lansdown will be proved wrong in his decision to keep him, and I've supported this club for as long as a lot of you.

sounds to me like some fans listened to that interview to find an issue with SL rather than take everything he said in the true context.

Deluded he might be, time will tell, but arrogance? Not in my view

I generally agree with you, but he defended himself a bit to much on the question about fans spending their money at the club with his,at best, 'clumsy' answer. One would have thought he'd have the experience to have answered more respectfully. As it is he's made a rod for his own back. 

Just now, redapple said:

I generally agree with you, but he defended himself a bit much on the question about fans spending their money at the club with his at best 'clumsy' answer. One would have thought he'd have the experience to have answered more respectfully. As it is he's made a rod for his own back. 

It's very difficult when you're put on the spot like he was, if he'd had time to prepare his answer I'm sure he would have phrased it differently. I used to have a similar scenario in one of the jobs I had a few years ago, and when under pressure and trying to defend a position it's difficult to think straight and the words don't always come out right.

5 minutes ago, Citychuds said:

I'd suggest people listen to the radio interview before making their mind up! I was really annoyed having read all the snippets on this forum then I listened to interview! Arrogance? Where? 

The man has openly said yes we have considered Lee's position. He didn't at all back him unconditionally, he just said they have thought about it on a game by game basis and he continues to believe that what's going on behind the scenes justify him being head coach. 

The comment about him putting more money into the club was meant in a 'yes I put a lot of money into the club too so I understand why the fans are annoyed'. At various times he said he understood the fans annoyance.

He even talked about his plans being for the best interests of the football club, at no point did he even sound like he was saying it's my club I will do what I like.

And before I get a load of abuse about being a Johnson lover / lansdown lover / gas head etc I don't believe LJ is the right man from the performances on the pitch, I do believe Lansdown will be proved wrong in his decision to keep him, and I've supported this club for as long as a lot of you.

sounds to me like some fans listened to that interview to find an issue with SL rather than take everything he said in the true context.

I listened live and have not listened again, but my first impression was that he would decide if and when LJ was removed, that he thinks the buying of young players with potential and using Acadamy products was the 'project', when Geoff pointed out you win nothing with kids(or words to the effect), SL used Man Utd buying Ronaldo as an example of getting a return on your investment, I thought that was quite bizarre.

To me he revealed himself as the dictator he clearly has become, and that isn't healthy for my football club.

Just now, Countryfile said:

To me he revealed himself as the dictator he clearly has become, and that isn't healthy for my football club.

He said something like "I'm not on the board but they come to me for final sign off on all decisions".  That's not a particularly healthy approach to corporate governance.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

It's very difficult when you're put on the spot like he was, if he'd had time to prepare his answer I'm sure he would have phrased it differently. I used to have a similar scenario in one of the jobs I had a few years ago, and when under pressure and trying to defend a position it's difficult to think straight and the words don't always come out right.

Surely he must have had an idea of the questions he was likely to be asked, and could have prepped some half-decent soundbites?  Twentyman did a very similar interview with Nick Higgs a couple of years ago, he kept on pushing for an answer, until Higgs confirmed that there was a watertight contract in place! :facepalm:

Just now, In the Net said:

Surely he must have had an idea of the questions he was likely to be asked, and could have prepped some half-decent soundbites?  Twentyman did a very similar interview with Nick Higgs a couple of years ago, he kept on pushing for an answer, until Higgs confirmed that there was a watertight contract in place! :facepalm:

Sometimes the interviewer can chuck in an extra question as a result of a previous answer which is probably what happened here, or perhaps he was going into it cold?

Just now, ashton_fan said:

Sometimes the interviewer can chuck in an extra question as a result of a previous answer which is probably what happened here, or perhaps he was going into it cold?

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean that he would have been told what the questions would be, but would have been able to pre-empt a lot of them if he's taken a look at social media this week.  I know these things aren't as easy as they seem once you've got the microphone in front of you though. 

5 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I listened live and have not listened again, but my first impression was that he would decide if and when LJ was removed, that he thinks the buying of young players with potential and using Acadamy products was the 'project', when Geoff pointed out you win nothing with kids(or words to the effect), SL used Man Utd buying Ronaldo as an example of getting a return on your investment, I thought that was quite bizarre.

I think that's a slight misquote. 

It was about being self sufficient and twentyman said United weren't and SL countered with the fact that they'd identified a young £12m Christiano Ronaldo and sold him for £90m. He said he wants is to do that. 

I think clumsy was a good adjective for his interview. I thought it was poor form to say LJ will unequivocally be in charge next season if we stay up and I though the jobs for the boys issue was quite obvious in referring to 'Macca' before he swiftly corrected himself. 

Key points for me as a long time Lansdown advocate : 

1- The board are puppets . SL calls the shots . 

2- His evergrowing wealth has moved him a million miles away from reality . To make the comment he made about spending more than fans was unforgivable and suicidal . 

3- He admitted that he was gambling with our future by keeping his man at the helm but that was his decision to make . The fact that it's the fans that will live with consequences seemed to pass him by . 

Great result today with great performances from the team , the fans and even LJ but Steve , you let yourself down son ! 

16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think that's a slight misquote. 

It was about being self sufficient and twentyman said United weren't and SL countered with the fact that they'd identified a young £12m Christiano Ronaldo and sold him for £90m. He said he wants is to do that. 

I think clumsy was a good adjective for his interview. I thought it was poor form to say LJ will unequivocally be in charge next season if we stay up and I though the jobs for the boys issue was quite obvious in referring to 'Macca' before he swiftly corrected himself. 

As I said I only listened once, how many Ronaldos come along in a generation?

He did well with the Kodjia deal, despite going back on his word, and although he may well move on from Villa to the Prem for even more.

I don't think clumsy is the right word, I think disrespectful is the right word, to those who support City now, and have done in previous generations, I thank him for the millions he has invested in the ground, but his on field project is doomed to failure in my opinion, if we aren't relegated this season, without a big rethink we will be relegated next season.

He is a billionaire businessman ploughing his money into the club. Do people really expect him to be a media savvy middle of the road interviewee? Geoff did a good job pushing for something sensational and got a few poorly worded answers, but little that was worth the furore on here.

People moan when they hear the same old interview littered with clichés, yet when someone strays from a pr script the same people get upset. He has invested more than anyone. Fact. He knows the buck stops with him. Fact. He is sticking to his principles, which we may not agree with right now, but just maybe he has learnt his lessons the hard way re managers. He has the right to do this as he is the owner, the same way 91 other clubs are run, rightly or wrongly. 

Who is next on the hitlist?

59 minutes ago, Citychuds said:

I spend more money than the fans.

game over for me.

Just got back from the match, and had a listen to see what all the fuss is about.

Problem is on this type of thing we expect everyone now to analyse every word over and over, and also expect everyone  to be great on media. Very few businesspeople in my experience are, unless they are all PR Bull S.

Couple of times I have met him he seems like quite a shy, almost retiring person, who maybe does not like the spotlight in this way. Sure at times, he has come across as pretty clunky. The oft quoted comment about how much he has spent compared to fans, maybe we all hear what we want, but I certainly did not hear it in the way some have implied. I actually think in an odd way he was trying to say 'look, I am frustrated to', although I agree the words were somewhat clumsy.

As for his comments about LJ, I thought he was trying to take pressure off him - 'blame me not him' or something like that. Actually, a leadership style for LJ to learn from when things are not going well. I think that is all he is saying, kind of a 'the buck stops here'. It is self evident that it does, cannot see why he is getting flack for saying so.

Maybe I am just feeling more generous after todays result! 

4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

game over for me.

I'll be honest, that wasn't the Steve Lansdown i recognise from before. Something has changed these last couple of years with him. Really disappointed when he resorted to that. The other bit I didn't like was when he got funny with Twentyman and said something like ".if they want me to go. A bittersweet day today. Well done lads on the pitch and LJ credit where it is due

1 hour ago, Citychuds said:

I posted this elsewhere and agree with your sentiments - some people are listening for what they want to hear, not what's actually said:

iPlayer starts at 19:18

Why is LJ you’re head coach questions: 22:25

Do you feel the players are playing for LJ: 23:10

Would LJ survive: 24:20

How bad would it have to get: 24:40

Do you think about bringing in a more experienced man: 25:10

Mention of John Pemberton: 25:20

SL taking responsibility: 25:50

Are you putting the club in jeopardy: 26:10

Is that fair on the supporters who pay their money: 26:14

You’ve got to respect the supporters: 27:04

What’s your take on the mood of the fans: 28:00

Why did JP leave, why did you get rid of him: 30:00

Des Taylor question: 31:00

Mark Ashton: 31:46

Season ticket question: 33:02

Club in transition comment: 33:43

Will LJ be in charge of the next 6 games regardless: 34:14

What happens if we remain in Championship: 34:31

If you are relegated: 35:11

Just now, bcfcfinker said:

I posted this elsewhere and agree with your sentiments - some people are listening for what they want to hear, not what's actually said:

What was said: ‘to bring someone in who Lee was very close too…’

When you read those questions you just have to praise GT. Never seen anything like that from R. Bristol before.

2 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Jesus. That's some effort. Have yourself a cider. 

Time will indeed tell.

In another 10 years I wonder where we will be?

What does this even mean?!

As fans why should we give a shit what is happening behind the scenes and how can this possibly justify LJs position at the club when results and performances on the pitch have been so so so poor?!

Sounds to me like SL just likes having his puppets on his strings!

I posted this on another thread but maybe appropriate here.

The old adage of be careful what you wish for holds good here.  If SL wants to treat it as his toy, well its his money and his privilege.  The club is supported by the fans but not owned by it.  Yes we all put our hard earned cash into the coffers but it's a piss in the ocean  compared to the total cost of running the club.  So all the moaners want him to take a hike. And what would you get in his place? Some oriental consortium who want to have the club playing in lucky sky blue pink? Follow the well trodden path of putting enough in to try and reach  the promised land of the premiership so they can take out as much of the revenue as they can.  Do you think they'd give a shit about the fans? I don't.  The club won't be relegated. Hopefully the summer will see some changes and some new faces will be brought in. Someone has to take the place of Abraham and that will be an impossible act to follow. But maybe, just maybe  we'll all be back in August  in a different frame of mind.  I hope so.

25 minutes ago, RumRed said:

game over for me.

Did you listen to the interview? It wasn't said in a boastful or mocking tone, he was stating a fact. Misguided perhaps, because people on the internet will grill him over it, but only stating the truth to show that he cares for the club as much as any supporter. Him doing an interview (a very tough one) shows he cares about the fans and is open. I don't agree with every decision SL makes but admire him for many things too. His dedication to the club, his loyalty to LJ (again, maybe misguided, but hopefully not in the long-term), his openness. Look at clubs like Blackpool, Leyton Orient and Coventry. Be thankful that we have a man born locally, that loves the club backing us. He has his faults, as do we all but I wouldn't want anyone else as owner.

People are just frustrated and want to make something out of a few words in a long, intense interview in which SL was admirably honest.

I just don't see how people can see it as anything other than that, no matter what frustrations they have over this season. I'm sure SL is aware that the majority are behind him.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

He said something like "I'm not on the board but they come to me for final sign off on all decisions".  That's not a particularly healthy approach to corporate governance.

But very sensible if he is paying the bills - if there were no checks and balances the board could award themselves huge pay rises and then what would SL be expected to do?  Some on here clearly have not been heavily involved in running businesses.  Trust me - SL really does know what he is doing - that doesn't mean he will not make mistakes and misjudgements, but he is the one who will have to foot the bill for his mistakes. As the post above says, we are lucky to have him!

During the interview I got annoyed at his comment about putting in more than fans.

I realise that at approx £100 million as a minimum, he has bankrolled City for a long time.

However does he realise that many fans put more in as a percentage of their own earnings/wealth. Those who take two half days holiday for every away match north of Birmingham or east if Reading, their travel costs, match entry etc.

Or like those in 1982 who put their savings into shares to save the Club. I bought shares of £80 with only £100 in the bank, a mortgage, young family and a very average paycheque each month. So my 80% of my wealth then had a bigger impact on me and family, than £100 million out of £1,500,000 million. I and thousands of others like me, would shovel it in much more than he has done if we had his wealth! That doesn't mean I'm not grateful dir what he's done. I am, but he should realise that some/many do put more as percentage of their wealth and emotions than he will ever.

Good win today, Wolves looked a poorer side than I expected but I still want Johnson out.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Key points for me as a long time Lansdown advocate : 

1- The board are puppets . SL calls the shots . 

2- His evergrowing wealth has moved him a million miles away from reality . To make the comment he made about spending more than fans was unforgivable and suicidal . 

3- He admitted that he was gambling with our future by keeping his man at the helm but that was his decision to make . The fact that it's the fans that will live with consequences seemed to pass him by . 

Great result today with great performances from the team , the fans and even LJ but Steve , you let yourself down son ! 

Factually SL pays the bills and the board are resonsible for the running of the business - as owner he will set guidelines.

He is totally realistic - to the extent that he will foot the bill if he bogs up!  And he does invest an awful lot more than the fans -FACT!

He has a plan that he believes will lead to the club being both sustainable and successful and he intends to follow his well thought out plan - nothing wrong with that!

I thought that the interviews with SL and post match on the radio with LJ showed that our club is in very good hands and I feel very confident that we have exciting times ahead. The match was also very enjoyable today!

45 minutes ago, RumRed said:

game over for me.

Facts are stubborn things! You are looking for fault where there is none.  We are very lucky to have someone of his wealth and calibre choosing to invest in our club to built it for the future and for our further enjoyment. It will take time - enjoy the ride, and the ups and downs!

18 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I posted this on another thread but maybe appropriate here.

The old adage of be careful what you wish for holds good here.  If SL wants to treat it as his toy, well its his money and his privilege.  The club is supported by the fans but not owned by it.  Yes we all put our hard earned cash into the coffers but it's a piss in the ocean  compared to the total cost of running the club.  So all the moaners want him to take a hike. And what would you get in his place? Some oriental consortium who want to have the club playing in lucky sky blue pink? Follow the well trodden path of putting enough in to try and reach  the promised land of the premiership so they can take out as much of the revenue as they can.  Do you think they'd give a shit about the fans? I don't.  The club won't be relegated. Hopefully the summer will see some changes and some new faces will be brought in. Someone has to take the place of Abraham and that will be an impossible act to follow. But maybe, just maybe  we'll all be back in August  in a different frame of mind.  I hope so.

i'd have that 25% ownership rule back in place, how he can piss all over a ruling put in place to stop the club getting into a situation like 1982 is crazy, he he ripped up the safe guards and now lords it over the fans to massage his ego.  He isn't even a true fan, he was bought up on Rugby and Rovers, his son on the other hand is.

The oriental consortium idea is pretty much what we have, a owner who answers to know one and does what what he wants.  The only difference is he name is Lansdown, not an Asian name be it Chinese, Thai or Indian.  One big difference as I see it, apart from a few notable crazy owners, most of these Asian owners plough the cash in to these clubs to try an make them successful to increase the money coming into their Asian companies through asian supporters of those teams, so it is in their interest to make the club successful, unlike lansdown who is a rich man but with no interest of the revenue streams that come in as a side affect of owning the club.

For me the Asian Model delivers more than the fannying about Lansdown model

PS  i don't agree with either model, the money and commercialism in football now has killed it for me.  But I know younger people will think differently as that is all they have known, so as they will be the fans of the future I have to live with that

Archived