IGNORED

Unity...?

PFree

No way is there unity amongst our club, today might have been an exception to a degree when the fans got behind a team that actually tried, but as a whole, this for me is the most divided our club has been in my 30 plus years of following and of being a ST holder.

Steve, it's perhaps a good idea to ask for a list of questions you'll be asked before your next live interview. I admire the fact you don't hide but you sounded like a spoilt child where somebody was trying to prise your toy away, you certainly didn't sound like our leader and the most senior person in our club.

The "I put more money in" comment was just ridiculous and I for one lost a great deal of respect for you having heard that. The comment you then made about LJ will be in charge if we scrape staying up, sorry but you clearly haven't been to too many games this season - the playing side has been a shambles and whilst we all hope we might just stay up, if you'd made that statement before I had renewed our ST's again, no way would we have done so. We've most left the Gate and away games this year feeling totally disillusioned.

Ultimately, we work really hard for the money we spend on coming to see City, there's no private jet involved but we all have to move shifts and go to considerable travel efforts to get there, it might be 'small money' by your standards but it's a hell of a commitment both financially and personally to most fans.

Finally, the club is split and will be so whilst you hide from the fact that LJ has been overly protected and hence remains in a job that's too big for him and that he doesn't deserve.

This is our club and I'm sorry but all that's been created today has been further division, you've done damage with your comments and if it hadn't been for the good result, you would be facing much greater mutiny and discontentment.

We aren't stupid, and we deserve better than being treated like second class citizens, we are fans of OUR club and rightly proud of that. You will go in due course but we just hope you leave a club behind that us poor fans can be proud of, and to those fans who have been supporting for 50 to 60 years, I for one recognise the club they have helped to create too.

I've always been a fan of OUR club and always will be, but sorry, OUR club is in one hell of a mess and it's under your tenure Sir - we aren't on track and were derailed and divided on an untenable basis some time ago.

Sad days no matter what now happens over the next few weeks...! 

I cant agree. SL made a comment when under a lot of pressure from Twentypence. Some want to hang him for that, I don't. BCFC is currently on a secure financial footing...and that's better than our "glory days" or at any point since... witness David (potless) Russe (and people still throw stones at a perfectly decent bloke called Russell Osman). If he knew the questions in advance, he may have phrased his answer better, But he didn't. I may well disagree with his philosophy, but SL said nothing that wasnt factual

27 minutes ago, Tiree said:

The only thing sad about today is there are people like you who still like to complain. Didi you see the performance? The team selection you wouldnt have got right but the manager of YOUR club did get right. Praise where praise is due.

And I'm delighted for SL that all sides ofhis wonderful stadium (not yours!) were united behind the players, the team, the manager, the owner and everything.

We need the same against QPR so suggest you stay away again

As a new member (ready to be shot down then) I fully agree with everything PFree has said.  Having been attending the gate since 1959 like many of us I've been there for the highs (that night match against Portsmouth and Clive Whitehead's goal to get us into Div 1 to 99 points under SC) and the lows (bottom of Div 4) but I love this club.  I've renewed my Dolman ST, the stadium is great now and today's result was excellent, buzzing all the way back home.  I'm appreciative of everything SL has done for what I still and will continue to call my club and hope he does more but the "I put more money in" comment really annoyed me as well.  Harry D would never ever have said that and I do hope Marina points that out.

Of course he has put more money in and I'm glad he has but it's us who pay what we can afford (and often what we cannot afford) also and fill the seats (terraces in the past) he must not forget that.

It is of course modern day football and we cannot change that but what we can do is support our club, hope and pray we stay up, work with SL to reach the Premiership but at the side of that make sure the BCFC identity and tradition is preserved.  The recent tribute day to Gerry Gow was amazing and a great example of that.

I think he has just been annoyed over the last few months at the criticism of him and LJ, and Twentypence's questions were rattling him, perhaps that's good but please don't knock us like that Steve, the noise generated today for all the goals says it all for us I think.

(OK first forum entry over / tin hat on !)

COYR

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Lots and lots of fans want LJ out, but when you're at the games a casual bystander wouldn't have the foggiest as to what the general feeling is. AMAZING support and loyalty to the club from the fans. Take a bow

Exactly.

I want Johnson out. I don't think "the project" is going anywhere other than underperforming players and a lot of money spent. But when it comes to cheering the lads on, it's COYR! 

We've had two good home games. Relegation CAN be avoided. 

Who doesn't want to see this fight? I know I do....

5 hours ago, PFree said:

No way is there unity amongst our club, today might have been an exception to a degree when the fans got behind a team that actually tried, but as a whole, this for me is the most divided our club has been in my 30 plus years of following and of being a ST holder.

Steve, it's perhaps a good idea to ask for a list of questions you'll be asked before your next live interview. I admire the fact you don't hide but you sounded like a spoilt child where somebody was trying to prise your toy away, you certainly didn't sound like our leader and the most senior person in our club.

The "I put more money in" comment was just ridiculous and I for one lost a great deal of respect for you having heard that. The comment you then made about LJ will be in charge if we scrape staying up, sorry but you clearly haven't been to too many games this season - the playing side has been a shambles and whilst we all hope we might just stay up, if you'd made that statement before I had renewed our ST's again, no way would we have done so. We've most left the Gate and away games this year feeling totally disillusioned.

Ultimately, we work really hard for the money we spend on coming to see City, there's no private jet involved but we all have to move shifts and go to considerable travel efforts to get there, it might be 'small money' by your standards but it's a hell of a commitment both financially and personally to most fans.

Finally, the club is split and will be so whilst you hide from the fact that LJ has been overly protected and hence remains in a job that's too big for him and that he doesn't deserve.

This is our club and I'm sorry but all that's been created today has been further division, you've done damage with your comments and if it hadn't been for the good result, you would be facing much greater mutiny and discontentment.

We aren't stupid, and we deserve better than being treated like second class citizens, we are fans of OUR club and rightly proud of that. You will go in due course but we just hope you leave a club behind that us poor fans can be proud of, and to those fans who have been supporting for 50 to 60 years, I for one recognise the club they have helped to create too.

I've always been a fan of OUR club and always will be, but sorry, OUR club is in one hell of a mess and it's under your tenure Sir - we aren't on track and were derailed and divided on an untenable basis some time ago.

Sad days no matter what now happens over the next few weeks...! 

Brilliant post mate

The thing that was made blatantly clear today is we now know where we stand as fans of Bristol City Football Club and that we just have to shut up and put up with everything that goes on. 

The radio interview didn't go down well.

We know we have the most unpopular manager that the club has (IMO) ever had, and now the owner has taken up a seat beside him. 

8 hours ago, Tiree said:

The only thing sad about today is there are people like you who still like to complain. Didi you see the performance? The team selection you wouldnt have got right but the manager of YOUR club did get right. Praise where praise is due.

And I'm delighted for SL that all sides ofhis wonderful stadium (not yours!) were united behind the players, the team, the manager, the owner and everything.

We need the same against QPR sostrees suggest you stay away again

What I don't understand is that on the rare occasion when city perform people seem to go to lengths to stress how good things are, but it's the rare occasion.  They don't seem to follow their own logic and state the obvious when Lee Johnson and the team fail, fail and fail again, ultimately leading to this disgrace of a season.

16 hours ago, Tiree said:

There's a difference between negativity and a sense of realism, my post reflected what I felt to be relevant, and for that matter, I still do.

My opinions aren't based on one game where we got it right, they are based on a prolonged period of failure and some seem to find it easy to forget where we've been for months after seeing one better game.

As for my attendance, I pay my money, I'll do what I want - but having been a loyal fan for over 30 years and a ST holder for a large part of that, It's a crying shame that the club and those who run it have made people like me feel so disconnected..

17 hours ago, Tiree said:

Sorry to tell you, mate, but I wasn't united behind anyone except the players. I don't think I was alone, either, judging by the ''reception'' the manager got at the full-time whistle when he came out to milk the applause (didn't see him clapping any fans after home defeats). 

Johnson can hardly claim he got the team selection right for this win unless he admits he got it wrong for games we lose. Or does he only get it right when we win but it's not his fault in all those 20 odd defeats? Can't have it both ways - I haven't seen him admit to anything he's done wrong, yet.

I suggest people like Pfree are more than welcome at AG, he reflects what a lot of fans think (whether it's a majority or a minority is irrelevant, it's a lot of people, hundreds, thousands...). he's welcome to come down to OUR stadium whenever he so chooses (or she).

Having read all the forums etc over the past few months I was dreading going to home games, dreading the thought of protests and pure venom from the fans, but I couldn't have been further wrong. At each home game by and large that fans have got right behind the players.

I've come to the conclusion sites like this only represent a fraction of the fanbase, a very small fraction. 

I'll Tiny fractions, maybe 1/ 1000. Thankfully!!

For those not able to get to many games it becomes essential to get communicafions from people they trust, otherwise this Forum gives the distinct impression the club ownership is up for grabs and anyone can do better than the current team, rarely mentioning names.

Imagine foreignn owners wanting to make money out of our club (SL doesn't need nor want to) and Zola in charge  as many on this forum wanted.

What we have instead is hope, Consistency and Unity!!

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Having read all the forums etc over the past few months I was dreading going to home games, dreading the thought of protests and pure venom from the fans, but I couldn't have been further wrong. At each home game by and large that fans have got right behind the players.

I've come to the conclusion sites like this only represent a fraction of the fanbase, a very small fraction. 

They shout the loudest though, so what they're saying must be right. 

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I want Johnson out, I have also lost a lot of respect for Lansdown with his recent attitude but if I attend the gate I'll always cheer the lads on. That said, if we were to stage a protest I'd be a part of that too and I don't feel I'm alone there.

What it comes down to is almost everyone can see LJ is not good enough at his job, as it stands we've only won 12 games all season, draw 8 but lost 21! If we remain up we'll be very lucky and it'll not be due to our fighting spirit or good football, it'll be down to the fact that three teams were monumentally s***. Honestly next season, if we don't improve, Bolton and Sheffield United coming up and Swansea potentially coming down.... the league could be a lot less forgiving than it already is.

The fans will always love the club they grew up with but Lee Johnson, Lansdown, Bristol Sport, they are just a part of the current club, they won't be there forever and that's why the fans always get behind team when the game is underway and there is a chance to help encourage them onto a win, that doesn't mean they support Johnson, it doesn't mean they support Lansdown and it doesn't mean they support Bristol Sport.

Personally, I hope Lansdown gets a wake-up call and after LJ goes (whenever that may be) he employs someone with a bit more experience and drive rather than a piss poor tactician with the gift of the gab.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Sorry, but how did you come to your "conclusion"?  Are you capable of contemplating that while the match is on, fans are suspending their frustration at this piss poor season and the way this club is being run and instead, putting their energy into trying to support the team and help them to reach safety?

If you really think the support shown towards the team at present also means the vast majority of fans are happy with the direction this club is going, then you're seriously mistaken.

I've personally renewed my ST for next season, but am already seriously regretting it, as I just can't stand the thought of having to watch another season of dross under LJ, regardless of what division we're in.

I have never felt so disconnected or disillusioned with this club and whilst I'll support during the match, there is no way that means I'm content with the situation and I'm certain there are plenty more like me.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

I want Johnson out, I have also lost a lot of respect for Lansdown with his recent attitude but if I attend the gate I'll always cheer the lads on. That said, if we were to stage a protest I'd be a part of that too and I don't feel I'm alone there.

What it comes down to is almost everyone can see LJ is not good enough at his job, as it stands we've only won 12 games all season, draw 8 but lost 21! If we remain up we'll be very lucky and it'll not be due to our fighting spirit or good football, it'll be down to the fact that three teams were monumentally s***. Honestly next season, if we don't improve, Bolton and Sheffield United coming up and Swansea potentially coming down.... the league could be a lot less forgiving than it already is.

The fans will always love the club they grew up with but Lee Johnson, Lansdown, Bristol Sport, they are just a part of the current club, they won't be there forever and that's why the fans always get behind team when the game is underway and there is a chance to help encourage them onto a win, that doesn't mean they support Johnson, it doesn't mean they support Lansdown and it doesn't mean they support Bristol Sport.

Personally, I hope Lansdown gets a wake-up call and after LJ goes (whenever that may be) he employs someone with a bit more experience and drive rather than a piss poor tactician with the gift of the gab.

If we stay up and get upto around 50 points then that is not luck that there are 3 teams worse than us.

Around 50 points pretty much guarantees Championship survival so I can't figure out how if we reach that total it is down to luck?

On Saturday the players and the fans had a fighting spirit about them,  granted that spirit has been missing in plenty of games but generally when that spirit is there we have won.

On 09/04/2017 at 00:06, Float'n Over said:

As a new member (ready to be shot down then) I fully agree with everything PFree has said.  Having been attending the gate since 1959 like many of us I've been there for the highs (that night match against Portsmouth and Clive Whitehead's goal to get us into Div 1 to 99 points under SC) and the lows (bottom of Div 4) but I love this club.  I've renewed my Dolman ST, the stadium is great now and today's result was excellent, buzzing all the way back home.  I'm appreciative of everything SL has done for what I still and will continue to call my club and hope he does more but the "I put more money in" comment really annoyed me as well.  Harry D would never ever have said that and I do hope Marina points that out.

Of course he has put more money in and I'm glad he has but it's us who pay what we can afford (and often what we cannot afford) also and fill the seats (terraces in the past) he must not forget that.

It is of course modern day football and we cannot change that but what we can do is support our club, hope and pray we stay up, work with SL to reach the Premiership but at the side of that make sure the BCFC identity and tradition is preserved.  The recent tribute day to Gerry Gow was amazing and a great example of that.

I think he has just been annoyed over the last few months at the criticism of him and LJ, and Twentypence's questions were rattling him, perhaps that's good but please don't knock us like that Steve, the noise generated today for all the goals says it all for us I think.

(OK first forum entry over / tin hat on !)

COYR

You say 'Harry D would never have said that' but with the possible exception of Scott Davidson I can't remember any other owners/board members in the past ever agreeing to a live radio interview other than SL. He doesn't have to agree to go on these programmes so we should appreciate the fact that he does, even if he makes the occasional gaff.

On 10/04/2017 at 14:49, Up The City! said:

If we stay up and get upto around 50 points then that is not luck that there are 3 teams worse than us.

Around 50 points pretty much guarantees Championship survival so I can't figure out how if we reach that total it is down to luck?

On Saturday the players and the fans had a fighting spirit about them,  granted that spirit has been missing in plenty of games but generally when that spirit is there we have won.

Of course, it is luck, it's lucky that there were 3 teams worse than us. 

We have 5 games left, to hit 50 points we'll need to average 1.2 points per game, this season so far we've averaged 1.07 so ending on 50 points would be an upturn in form! 

Look at our position each month:

August 31st - 6th
September - 6th
October 31st - 6th
November 20th - 13th
December 31st - 17th
January 31st - 20th
February 28th - 21st
March 31st - 19th
April 30th - 21st

We've not ended a month in a higher position than the previous month with the exception of March! A month where we played Burton, Wigan, Norwich and Huddersfield and we all know the Huddersfield match has been a flash in the pan. You say we've had a fighting spirit.... yes, in very brief flashes but that's why we're at the bottom rather than the top, because for all the fighting spirit we've shown there has been ten times as much lack of.

Honestly look at Blackburn, not a penny spent on bringing players in, all free transfers and loans, we're very lucky they're in such a dire state. The spending is insane, we've spent around £10m this season and Blackburn have not spent anything and we're just 4 points ahead of them and still have to play them at their ground when we've won just 3 games away from home all season and managed just 4 draws. Blackburn have won 7, drawn 7 and lost 7 at home, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they beat us and if they do we only have 1 point between us.

All I can say is LJ is shocking, to have us in 6th for 3 months shows that our squad was actually better when he'd had less impact on it, the fact that he's managed to mess about with the tactics so much and make so many bad decisions that we've dropped from fighting for a play off position to battling off relegation is inexcusable. Between the start of November and the end of December we lost every game with the exception of a 2-0 win over Ipswich, in January we won just 1 game, in February we also managed a single win and had we not beaten Wigan and Huddersfield in March we'd actually be one loss to Blackburn away from being practically relegated. Call me wrong on a technicality that I consider us to be lucky but the fact that we're not relegated with LJ in charge is something I consider very lucky and the statistics are there to back me up on it.

On 10 April 2017 at 15:31, ashton_fan said:

You say 'Harry D would never have said that' but with the possible exception of Scott Davidson I can't remember any other owners/board members in the past ever agreeing to a live radio interview other than SL. He doesn't have to agree to go on these programmes so we should appreciate the fact that he does, even if he makes the occasional gaff.

It's difficult to compare what happens now with what happened in the past as Radio Bristol didn't start broadcasting until 1970, and in the early days the sports coverage was totally different to that broadcast today. There was no internet / social media until fairly recently, so the pressure wasn't on the owners / board members to give live interviews. I don't know what Harry D would or wouldn't have said about money, but the method of communication was better in the past. I can remember the AGM's in the 80s when the board and manager, Terry Cooper, were prepared to answer any questions thrown at them. TC had an amazing ability to take any awkward question and give a wonderful answer that somehow pleased everyone.  SL used to give annual presentations but these have faded away. Giving a live interview to Geoff 20man wasn't really difficult as GT had to be responsible and it was of limited in duration. Compare this to the board and TC having to stand in front of a large group of supporters in the immediate post administration period. I can't imagine LJ facing fans questions in way that TC did 

Archived