IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I don't do reports on home games as most will have seen it, but glad this thread is here and must add to it. What a stunning performance. Should have been MoM and for me the best performance in a City shirt by any player this season. Simply brilliant. I actually think we might not have got anything from the match without him on the pitch, his running and ability changed the game single-handedly, from the word go he was doing things NO City player has done all season and that is get the ball in midfield and go at defenders, and do it with confidence and control, putting defenders on the back foot and allowing City to push up. Not just that, but in the second half in particular he chased every cause, including their forward balls, broke up play, he was just a very controlled source of positive energy that ran at everything and with the ball was classy. An absolute revelation and a 10/10 performance for sure.

Nice to hear

Especially from you 

Was a cracking young player at Walsall showing oodles of natural ability and real potential - at that time always hoped we'd move for him

Consistency seems to be an issue but he has ability that's for sure and if we can get anywhere near the best out of him he's a big asset no doubt

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I had him down as one Johnson didn't trust. But that's all getting a bit confusing in that respect.

Like trying to navigate around Spaghetti junction blindfolded with an upside down sat nav in mandarin. 

I can sell you an upside down sat nav but I think it's in Australian (not joking)

1 hour ago, tts_city said:

I wouldnt go so far as a love in, but I saw enough from a player who has so far had a bit part upfront in his first season in the championship, good movement and workrate which occupied there back line, we know he can finish, needs more games to show what he's about imo.

He worked hard today but the doubters aren't too far off. For me, he's basically Kieran Agard all over again. Hard work and determination but not so great touch and finisher. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He worked hard today but the doubters aren't too far off. For me, he's basically Kieran Agard all over again. Hard work and determination but not so great touch and finisher. 

To be fair to the lad, Joe, he's a midfielder and Agard is a striker. Agard's entire reason d'etre is to score, but JP has ther duties.

Beautiful finish for his goal today though, it has to be said.

Patterson was excellent; attended the game with a friend who is a Villa fan (he's just moved to Bristol; attempting to convert him to the Light) and he was very positive about him.

Good ball rentention and intention to push forward; I'm a fan of the lad, so baffling how we've seen so little of him (and worth mentioning Little had a stormer too) - if injury is the reason, fair enough.

I also question the Taylor positivity; he got better, but felt his unwillingness to chase 'lost causes' or close down defenders, or even take chances by running for specialitive passes undermined his play, and would like to see him 'gamble' more on going off the last man on the final ball more.

But back to Patto; looks a capable player at this level, so hope he gets more opportunities before the season is out - congrats to him for today.

9 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Great to hear he played well today...heard Taylor played well from many does anyone think Taylor can cut it at this level?

I thought he did a job, another one that needs games to prove whether he can cut it or not. A start every month or so doesn't help but it showed today that we could do with another mobile forward, preferably with pace.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

I don't do reports on home games as most will have seen it, but glad this thread is here and must add to it. What a stunning performance. Should have been MoM and for me the best performance in a City shirt by any player this season. Simply brilliant. I actually think we might not have got anything from the match without him on the pitch, his running and ability changed the game single-handedly, from the word go he was doing things NO City player has done all season and that is get the ball in midfield and go at defenders, and do it with confidence and control, putting defenders on the back foot and allowing City to push up. Not just that, but in the second half in particular he chased every cause, including their forward balls, broke up play, he was just a very controlled source of positive energy that ran at everything and with the ball was classy. An absolute revelation and a 10/10 performance for sure.

A Forest fan told me his problem is consistency, you never get two good performances in a row, let's see what Friday brings!

12 hours ago, gloucester robin said:

I thought Patterson had a great game but also thought that Taylor had a good game as well

Thought Taylor was great . His link up play is superb and had a hand in both the goals from open play . His movement in little triangles is top notch . 

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair to the lad, Joe, he's a midfielder and Agard is a striker. Agard's entire reason d'etre is to score, but JP has ther duties.

Think he was talking about Taylor, Robbo.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Far more ability than KA

My comment was about Matty Taylor. I know it's a JP thread but Matty T came up. 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think JP has real potential to be a goal scoring 10 / second striker at this level - his early career at Walsall showed that 

Wasted wide or in a midfield role

Think is record last year at Huddersfield showed it as well. I like him on the left in a two striker formation. Far more work rate and athleticism than Tomlin and as close skill and creativity as anyone else in the team outside of LT. I prefer him in the spot just behind the striker because he has an eye for goal but if he plays that way on the left then I don't mind that either. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think is record last year at Huddersfield showed it as well. I like him on the left in a two striker formation. Far more work rate and athleticism than Tomlin and as close skill and creativity as anyone else in the team outside of LT. I prefer him in the spot just behind the striker because he has an eye for goal but if he plays that way on the left then I don't mind that either. 

Agreed - free / 10 role for me

Hes also a still relatively unusual player in modern game , in that he runs aggressively at defenders with ball as opposed to pass pass pass

Unfairly probably but apart from getting the winner against forest I think he's been poor when he's come on as sub. I say unfairly because he's hasn't had much game time at all and Huddersfield fans were raving about him last season. Great game yesterday though and a brilliant finish for the goal. Well done JP here's hoping he gets another chance . 

As well as just running at players, eye for a good pass and generally putting in a great shift yesterday he NEVER gave up trying to win the ball......even an overhead kick to cleat once it was clear to him he wasn't going to win the ball from a header because he was being pulled down.

Good performance displaying a great deal of potential. Hopefully his enthusiasm will become infectious over the next few games and other may be influenced..... Assuming he plays on Fri.

Well done Jamie..... You were a pleasure to watch play yesterday. 

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Unfairly probably but apart from getting the winner against forest I think he's been poor when he's come on as sub. I say unfairly because he's hasn't had much game time at all and Huddersfield fans were raving about him last season. Great game yesterday though and a brilliant finish for the goal. Well done JP here's hoping he gets another chance . 

Head nail firmly hit .

12 hours ago, tts_city said:

Yes i do, he kept there backline occupied with his movement alone and makes loads more space for tammy to do his thing. I hope djuric is back soon as i have a feeling they could have quite a partnership with enough game time together.

Said this since he arrived. Taylor runs around like he's got a fly up his backside. Djuric is much better in the air. Combined they will be a real issue for opposition defenders.

Based on yesterday's match I would say:

• Paterson was excellent and easily my MOTM.  He beat players time and time again, was composed, confident and topped it with an excellent goal.
  • Taylor did a lot of running and undoubtedly helped create space for Tammy. However he looked like an L1 player to me, who wouldn't get into another Championship team.  I very much hope he can make the step up, but I didn't see evidence of it v Wolves personally.

Excellent performance and team selection worked well this time. Let's hope Paterson can bring that sort of performance more regularly.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

My comment was about Matty Taylor. I know it's a JP thread but Matty T came up. 

Fair enough, my mistake. 

I think Taylor can be more useful than A gard was. He was unlucky not to score yesterday and he made a real nuisance of himself for the Wolves defence and midfield. 

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Noticeable too that after MT went off, Danny Batth started to man mark Tammy and he barely had a kick after that. It changed a bit when COD came on and I think he would have scored if their defender hadn`t clotheslined him which the ref missed.

we were saying the same as that

18 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I had him down as one Johnson didn't trust. But that's all getting a bit confusing in that respect.

Like trying to navigate around Spaghetti junction blindfolded with an upside down sat nav in mandarin. 

With the exception of Bryan, havent they all been untrusted at some point?

7 hours ago, GrenadaRed said:

Based on yesterday's match I would say:

• Paterson was excellent and easily my MOTM.  He beat players time and time again, was composed, confident and topped it with an excellent goal.
  • Taylor did a lot of running and undoubtedly helped create space for Tammy. However he looked like an L1 player to me, who wouldn't get into another Championship team.  I very much hope he can make the step up, but I didn't see evidence of it v Wolves personally.

Excellent performance and team selection worked well this time. Let's hope Paterson can bring that sort of performance more regularly.

He's certainly earned the opportunity to against QPR on Friday. Travesty if he doesn't start after yesterday.

Happy to add some praise for Paterson too, especially now I feel guilty after my Little thread. I too thought Paterson was one of the untrusted bunch, and thought when I saw the line up 'oh it's his turn to play today'.

Not sure what I thought of his playing ability until now, I feel I've hardly seen him. More out than in the team and blows hot and cold. Now we have seen what he can do I think he deserves to keep his place on that performance. 

5 hours ago, What the ???? said:

With the exception of Bryan, havent they all been untrusted at some point?

Some are trusted untrusted players and others untrusted trusted players. The problem is I expect half the time they are just trying to interpret what the hell they're meant to be doing. I think they've all been confused at one point or another!

Archived