IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview transcript

dazza247

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I agree the support was top notch yesterday, in spite of what is happening at the top of the club not because of it. The support yesterday is by no means a ringing endorsement of the way it is run, far from it based on my anecdotal evidence!!

I think that the vast majority of fans are rooting for City - a very small minority see student politics against the club as their main purpose.  They are making themselves miss the main point of being a supporter.  I hope that the few rabble rousers will get behind the club and help us to push on to better things.  SL is going to be part of the ownership of the club for years to come - so lets support his plan. Hopefully he has learned from past misjudgements and we will be successful this time. Any change may bring in the Venky's or someone like them. Be careful what you wish for!

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

I hope that the few rabble rousers will get behind the club and help us to push on to better things.  SL is going to be part of the ownership of the club for years to come - so lets support his plan.

Ok you keep banging on with the same old rhetoric.. tell us how,what do we have to do that were not doing now, buy season tickets,yes we do that, scream our lungs out in support of the team,yes we do that,buy merchandise from the club,yes,what is it we can do, you seem to know the answers.

29 minutes ago, Antman said:

Taken over time I don't see SL as having done a great job, we have not progressed - still the upper L1 / lower Championship team we always were. Which doesn't bother me, but lets not pretend he's lifted us up by our bootstraps.

Spot on...I couldn't agree with your perspective more. I've got no problem with SL, he is who he is and nothing he said yesterday surprises me, although I think he let his guard down more than he usually does. But for all his time and investment the bottom line is that he's not achieved what he set out to achieve...lots of promises of "jam tomorrow"...lots of requests for patience down the years...

Let's hope we stay up, which we should, and let's hope that, as ever, the summer break rekindles enthusiasm! 

I didn't hear the interview, so many thanks to the OP for his efforts at transcription. 

Two points to make.

1) On my way up to the ground the subject of this interview came up and it was represented to me as "LJ is here for the long-term and even if we go down he'll be our manager".  Lansdown says no such thing! He basically says it is under continuous review.  He does state he had faith in Lee, but a repeat of Preston yesterday could easily have changed that. We know Lansdown has more faith in Lee than the average supporter, but nothing is set-in-stone.

2) "City is my plaything, I'll do what I want!" [paraphrasing] - this seems to got up people's nose more than anything else. But we knew it already. And is it any different to most other English football clubs? Many people know I run my own business and tbh my attitude is exactly the same as Lansdown's : I invested the capital, I took the risk, I have the ultimate say. I'm not running some sort of co-operative, my ownership buys me the right to guide the company as I see fit. Now I know football clubs are unusual businesses in that their "stakeholders" are supporters, who may have put in decades of loyal support. In my case, I may well be the 4th generation Robbo to follow the club. But - let's be honest - if you'd sunk a 9-figure sum into a club, wouldn't your attitude be the same as Lansdown's?  I know mine would.  I can listen to people's opinions,  but at the end of the day, what I want goes. Same as every business where one man owns 97% of the stock.

City are a continuously loss-making enterprise. Our support - as is frequently pointed out - is pathetic for the size of the urban area we are set in. Until recently, off-field revenue was paltry as well. Lansdown has kept the club afloat and invested to give us more hope of eventually breaking even than any owner since Harry Dolman - and football was a different business in Harry's day.

Those who suggest there are no shortage of potential investors in English football clubs should talk to the fans of some of the club's in the lower divisions - including those who have fallen into non-league. There are some good guys, many bad guys and some absolute comedians among the owners out there.

So, in conclusion,  a great interview by Twentyman - I can see why fans were tweeting there congratulations - but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't know before hand.

I think Lansdown's faith in "the project" - which largely seems to be a project to turn Johnson Jr into a competent manager - is totally misguided. But I'm not furious at him for pointing out - as an aside - that he has put more money into the club than the rest of us will earn in a lifetime.  That is fact.

27 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Ok you keep banging on with the same old rhetoric.. tell us how,what do we have to do that were not doing now, buy season tickets,yes we do that, scream our lungs out in support of the team,yes we do that,buy merchandise from the club,yes,what is it we can do, you seem to know the answers.

That is all great and supportive. The people who say they are never going to renew, or watch matches or take interest in City until LJ or SL goes - are, in my humble opinion, cutting off their noses to spite their faces.  The ground was really lively yesterday and it was a joy to be part of it.  By all means have reservations - but not to the extent where would cut out of your life a main driving force.  Baby being chucked out with the bathwater. COYR!

56 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nice attempt at diversion. 

Swansea for one, in their run from below us in L2 to the Premier League. Jackett, Martinez, Rodgers etc. I suppose it's just too much to ask for us to aspire to a massive club like them tho.

Isn't our rout we are taking similar to the Swansea route?

This is pretty much year one of the project, the idea is that we create a conveyor belt of players so for example when the likes of CO'd come good there will be another player in the u23s that we are developing, if CO'd gets injured then that younger player will come in and get some experience, if CO'd moves on then that younger player will step up.

I can't see an issue in this sort of approach?  Year one is always going to be difficult but a time came where SL said the old approach is over and this is the path we are taking. 

Imo we will survive and this season will prove to be a good experience for the younger players.

I very much appreciate what Steve lansdown has done and try to do with Bristol City with his money. No doubt. But respect is a two way thing . Of course he's spent more money than supporters. But he has the money. Some people live on the bread line. And have watched Bristol City most of their lives. That comment really irked me . 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nice attempt at diversion. 

Swansea for one, in their run from below us in L2 to the Premier League. Jackett, Martinez, Rodgers etc. I suppose it's just too much to ask for us to aspire to a massive club like them tho.

Not diversion. Just wondering how many clubs have a "perfect" record. The average length of a managerial reign would suggest the overwhelming majority of appointments are flawed. 

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I very much appreciate what Steve lansdown has done and try to do with Bristol City with his money. No doubt. But respect is a two way thing . Of course he's spent more money than supporters. But he has the money. Some people live on the bread line. And have watched Bristol City most of their lives. That comment really irked me . 

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

"But - let's be honest - if you'd sunk a 9-figure sum into a club, wouldn't your attitude be the same as Lansdown's?  I know mine would.  I can listen to people's opinions,  but at the end of the day, what I want goes."

in short No!

Making competent decisions based on what is best for the club is the route I'd take. Appointing knowledgeable and talented individuals in positions and allowing them to do their jobs within a framework seems a common sense way about things.

All very hypothetical of course.

Many fans espousing the view that Lansdown should see himself as a custodian of the club, rather than treat it as his own. I feel it's a shame for both fans and SL that he appears not to have taken this view.

While he does 'own' the club he can, and will probably continue to do as he wants. For City fans to express anger and frustration at this is not only understandable but healthy, in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

That is all great and supportive. The people who say they are never going to renew, or watch matches or take interest in City until LJ or SL goes - are, in my humble opinion, cutting off their noses to spite their faces.  The ground was really lively yesterday and it was a joy to be part of it.  By all means have reservations - but not to the extent where would cut out of your life a main driving force.  Baby being chucked out with the bathwater. COYR!

Their choice Bat,got nout to do with you or i, if they feel that strongly about the way the club is run then i say, fair play,at least they have the courage of their convictions,god gave us a voice, and a few fingers for typing,raising concerns is healthy,sitting still and saying nothing and just excepting whatever your told is not, being  living breathing humans we have that choice,use it.

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

SL: Is it fair on me? I pay a lot more money than the supporters and you know I appreciate the supporters and the supporters coming to support it. I want them to buy into the project.

I think it's been taken out of context tbh. He goes on to say he appreciates the supporters. 

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

SL: Is it fair on me? I pay a lot more money than the supporters and you know I appreciate the supporters and the supporters coming to support it. I want them to buy into the project.

I think it's been taken out of context tbh. He goes on to say he appreciates the supporters. 

Of course. No doubt he appreciates the supporters . It's the comment . Of course he spends more money. A billionaire decided to buy a football club. Good for him. It's just pissed me off . Maybe I'm reading to much into it . Like I said I fully appreciate what he's done. And I hope he continues. Time for me to move on . 3 1 yesterday is the most important thing at the moment. CTID 

I get what he's saying in theory. A lot of people get caught up in the amount we spent but got to have context on it. We spent 15m to turn it into 30+ million. To help the club have that cushion to bring in a different calibre player down the line. It wasn't 15m to get promoted this season. It's never been a one season thing. He is wanting us to have our own identity. To bring young players along and profit from them on and off the pitch. Personally, I like the plan and hope it continues. 

The problem with it is that results on the pitch effect this massively. Can't attract the players finishing bottom 6 every year. Can't play the youth when you're in a relegation battle. Plus, we've bought far too many senior players to put this in place. Maybe it was to bridge the gap and buy time for some of the youth but at the moment he's saying one thing and we are practicing another. 

I don't think SL is a bad as some make out but I don't think it's as rosy as others do. I think he cares about the club and we should be grateful he's willing to invest continuously into the club. At the same time though, don't treat us like morons and say one thing and do another. I think he has good intentions for the club but he needs to be more in tune with the supporters. Will that ever happen? I'm not sure. His ownership style is more what I'm used to with American sports. I don't know what ownership is usually like in England but he's trying to run it the right way. Especially when you consider the money in the game today. 

Thanks for posting that transcript. Was fairly close to what I was expecting. I as a Bristol City fan certainly didn't take any offence by what SL said, which some seem to have. He has his belief in what City are doing & is standing by those beliefs. 

Pretty simple question, the world of football is fairly small as so many players are inter-connected, if we do just about stay up and LJ stays in charge, can you really see that attracting footballers to our club? Players are ambitious and rightly so, so why join a team that will surely be expected to struggle once again?

For me, I thought SL chose his words really poorly yesterday but I thought the interview was okay other than the I put more in comment and fact he backed LJ to stay if we stay up, personally, I'm gutted but there we go, that just my opinion..

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Their choice Bat,got nout to do with you or i, if they feel that strongly about the way the club is run then i say, fair play,at least they have the courage of their convictions,god gave us a voice, and a few fingers for typing,raising concerns is healthy,sitting still and saying nothing and just excepting whatever your told is not, being  living breathing humans we have that choice,use it.

That is true - and I can only feel this from my viewpoint - I would (and do) move heaven and earth to support City and it is the one thing in life that I would never give up. That feeling of boycotting yesterday's match and then finding out the result - conjured up by Lee Johnson, must have led to some very mixed feelings. I hope that all supporters will come together and fill the stadium in order to help the project that will hopefully make our club great. We can debate and argue about the events and issues - but to let some rabble rouser persuade a fan to miss his/her footy fix - get real!

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

That is true - and I can only feel this from my viewpoint - I would (and do) move heaven and earth to support City and it is the one thing in life that I would never give up. That feeling of boycotting yesterday's match and then finding out the result - conjured up by Lee Johnson, must have led to some very mixed feelings. I hope that all supporters will come together and fill the stadium in order to help the project that will hopefully make our club great. We can debate and argue about the events and issues - but to let some rabble rouser persuade a fan to miss his/her footy fix - get real!

But what are you doing but rabble rousing? Albeit to a different agenda.

everyone has their views, and everyone is entitled to them.

TBF to SL I don't think the interview is anywhere near as self indulgent as some of the reports on here have judged it.

The interview was plainly not scripted and 20p asked some searching questions, to which there was no easy answer. I don't believe he meant the comment regarding his money being more import than the punters, just a bit clumsy.

He is convinced that LJ is the man, I don't agree, but he believes  in him, and I admire his loyalty if nothing else; I am convinced that he is not trying to build a dictatorship, however, his view that he is the final go/no-go gate could lead you to think that.

Need to wind this post up, bottom line is 5/10, could do better in the customer facing element and prepare better for questions that were fairly predictable.

Well done GT, represented the fan base very well.

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Which football club has a succession of successful managerial appointments?

I think about 2 or 3 out of 72 league clubs from what I've read on here. Although Swansea have had a bit of a rough run of it of late. Possibly since outside investors/owners have got involved. 

Archived