IGNORED

West Country Sunday Independent IS BACK!! (Merged)

roylegalatyeo

2 minutes ago, roylegalatyeo said:

Since the demise of the Green In on a Saturday, I have always looked forward to the Indy on Sunday mornings.The only regional paper for local reports and sports news.But alas this is now gone.Went into admin on Thursday.

didn't realise. I liked the West Country Indy. The Green 'Un has never been replaced either

A sign of the times. Look at what the Post has become. Newspapers are obsolete in the digital world, ruled by the number of clicks you can get. When the club provides match reports and interviews within an hour of the whistle, what can they provide?What's next to go - local radio? Soon there will be no impartial journalism left, just output from the corporate machine. 

I not surprised it's gone. I occasionally bought it, but always immediately wondered why I had wasted my money. The match reports were a bit meagre and didn't say anything that wasn't available on the forum. Even Richard Latham's column about City was very bland and just stated the obvious. There were never any scopes. Part of the problem was the paper covered such a big area. I can't imagine there were many people in Bristol who were interested in amateur rugby in Plymouth and vice versa. 

After a fruitless search for a copy yesterday, I was very upset to learn this morning that the paper ceased trading last week and is no more.  It's been part of my Sunday for more than 25 years, every since they brought out a Bristol-based edition, and I will miss it.  Good coverage of City from Richard Latham, and always interesting to read about other SW teams.  Also good 'where are they now' features on previous players from Bristol clubs.  Very sad to see it go.  People will probably say "Go online" but I still like a footie paper in my hand on Sunday (and still lament the passing of the Saturday night Green 'Un).

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

After a fruitless search for a copy yesterday, I was very upset to learn this morning that the paper ceased trading last week and is no more.  It's been part of my Sunday for more than 25 years, every since they brought out a Bristol-based edition, and I will miss it.  Good coverage of City from Richard Latham, and always interesting to read about other SW teams.  Also good 'where are they now' features on previous players from Bristol clubs.  Very sad to see it go.  People will probably say "Go online" but I still like a footie paper in my hand on Sunday (and still lament the passing of the Saturday night Green 'Un).

Never rated Latham myself, his clear insinuations of being close to the board and having insider information used to bug me. I think I am right in saying that Terry Cooper wouldn't have him anywhere near the ground when he was Manager?

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Never rated Latham myself, his clear insinuations of being close to the board and having insider information used to bug me. I think I am right in saying that Terry Cooper wouldn't have him anywhere near the ground when he was Manager?

Terry was always a bit prickly with the local press.  I always put it down to him being a Yorkshireman...

If always remember that in about 1986 the Evening Post quoted Cooper, after a match in which a City player was sent off, as posing the question "Is football a game for men or poofs?".  How times have changed.

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He was definitely at the ground on matchdays back then, mate. Still is.

It's a real shame I have been buying it for years along with the football league paper. As mentioned above it was interesting to read about other SW clubs and the "where are they now" was one of the first articles I would read. I would of actually payed more than a pound to get a copy.

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Used to be OK, but towards the end REALLY scraping the barrel, half the guys (loans for five mins) I couldn't remember !

Lols, yes I get what you mean. It did make me smile when it said "We look back on what former City Legend is doing nowadays etc". This week Ian Leigh! :-)

I've been buying it for about 40 years, over the last 5 years it's been the only paper I have bought. It was great for all the local non league and the district leagues match reports and club news.

I will miss all the following weeks local fixture lists, it's now going to be a case of trawling through different websites to see whose playing when.

A real shame that it's gone, I would much rather read about the likes of Paulton Rovers than the Sunday tabloid fascination with the Premier League.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know about the Terry Cooper bit, but I agree with the other comments. I found his articles to be a complete waste of time. He often hinted at a bit of inside info, but never actually delivered. Just like some people on the forum!

1 minute ago, BS15_RED said:

A cracking paper, glad it's back and I'm going to start buying it every Sunday now, it's worth supporting.

Yep, same here. Haven't bought it for a while, but you only miss things when they are gone. Gonna commit to it every Sunday to support the new owner.

Archived