IGNORED

McCoulsky

Port Said Red

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Kelly, Dowling, Mcclousky, Vyner and possibly Morrell could be the players we should give a couple of games to next season. Obviously all of the players apart from Kelly have been given an appearance in the cup/league for us in the past two seasons we need to give these players more chances in the league/cup to be able to develop them on loan or at a league 1/2/conference prem club or even some games for us. 

They could all have played a few games this season if LJ wasn't so inept as out head coach and taken his first team on the worst run in living memory. And add in O'Leary to the outfield players.

3 very well taken goals tonight, his second was a fabulous finish - looks like with the correct attitude and coaching he does have a future in the game. Would like to see him get a run out in the final few games providing our championship status is secure 

10 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Kelly, Dowling, Mcclousky, Vyner and possibly Morrell could be the players we should give a couple of games to next season. Obviously all of the players apart from Kelly have been given an appearance in the cup/league for us in the past two seasons we need to give these players more chances in the league/cup to be able to develop them on loan or at a league 1/2/conference prem club or even some games for us. 

Is that really enough, though?

SL talked up the 'pathway' to the first team, as has LJ, but I don't see it.

Bryan is our only academy regular in the first team of any note (Reid too, perhaps, but is so frequently outside the 18 now I question how long he'll be around), and he was in and around the first team much younger than the ones you mention - for example; Morell has been spoken about since SO'D was here and has shown next to no progrss towards being in the first team, and he turned twenty this year.

If we make a commitment to bringing through youth, that is what it needs to be; a commitment.  Not the odd cup sub appearance; a concerted effort to test these kids in league matches against the level of opposition they will have to face if they were to 'graduate' to the full squad.

I think a few are at the stage where either they break through and stay through, or we move to the next generation.

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Is that really enough, though?

SL talked up the 'pathway' to the first team, as has LJ, but I don't see it.

Bryan is our only academy regular in the first team of any note (Reid too, perhaps, but is so frequently outside the 18 now I question how long he'll be around), and he was in and around the first team much younger than the ones you mention - for example; Morell has been spoken about since SO'D was here and has shown next to no progrss towards being in the first team, and he turned twenty this year.

If we make a commitment to bringing through youth, that is what it needs to be; a commitment.  Not the odd cup sub appearance; a concerted effort to test these kids in league matches against the level of opposition they will have to face if they were to 'graduate' to the full squad.

I think a few are at the stage where either they break through and stay through, or we move to the next generation.

And it helps greatly , in attempting to follow this policy , if you're not in a relegation battle !

FWIW. I Think this dream policy , at our club and in it's present set up , is fundamentally flawed 

Its a policy that can work with time , a very very good set up throughout the Club and a waft of good fortune too

On 09/04/2017 at 14:04, CotswoldRed said:

Plenty of lads his age come into the Prem and succeed. 

If he's going to be good enough for us he should be fine by 20 to be in and around the first squad.

Why the need for so many years out on loan for youngsters? Probably because they'll never make it. 

We aren't Chelsea. 

We loan out rookie players but don't loan out rookie coaches who , it could be argued, are more likely to get us relegated than the odd errors committed by the youngsters on the pitch .

Where's the logic ? 

57 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

Think on this evidence he deserves preseason with the first team. He's older than Tammy and we won't have Tammy next season. Certainly knows instinctively where the goal is. 

Knows instinctively where the goal is ? Haven't had someone like that since Goater. Bring him on.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Tammy Abraham ? Matty Taylor ? Bas Savage ? 

Bas Savage. Remember Mk Dons ?

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I agree that none were as good as Goater, but your original point was that we haven't had anyone who instinctively knew where the goal was since Goater, 

And we haven't. Not consistently like he did.

24 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Mostly used as a sub, but often not getting on at all, from what I remember.

29 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

What happened with his loan at Torquay earlier in the season? He didn't seem to make an impact.

They signed 2 strikers and the other guy started with a few goals as I remember, probably difficult to dislodge him then.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They signed 2 strikers and the other guy started with a few goals as I remember, probably difficult to dislodge him then.

Yep Kieffer Moore. 4 years older than SM & far more experienced in terms of league games.

The goals Moore scored for FGR & then Torquay basically earned him a move to Ipswich.

3 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

Yep Kieffer Moore. 4 years older than SM & far more experienced in terms of league games.

The goals Moore scored for FGR & then Torquay basically earned him a move to Ipswich.

Yep, pretty much. He`s actually from the bay and signed for them for next to nothing to help them out at the time - home town club and all that.

On 11/04/2017 at 08:00, samo II said:

- for example; Morell has been spoken about since SO'D was here and has shown next to no progrss towards being in the first team, and he turned twenty this year.

He's not even making the U23's - unless, of course, he's injured. 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

He's not even making the U23's - unless, of course, he's injured. 

Was on-loan at Margate and described in local media as "Midfielder Joe Morrell, who has hardly featured since signing on loan from Bristol City, is the latest player to leave Margate". Unless he had injury troubles, that would appear concerning - they're fighting relegation in National League South.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/sport/gate-players-must-prove-worth-123180/

Archived