IGNORED

McCoulsky

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

20 I think. Even conference would be a good test next season I reckon. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hopefully a loan in league two next season. How old is he ? 

FGR if they go up (or even if they don`t). Plymouth given our record of loaning to them but could he cut it in league 1 yet?

If Exeter don`t go up then that would be a good shout IMO as it`s odds on their decent players will move on and he would certainly get some game time there.

He needs a league loan now. L2 at minimum for him next year. It doesn't have to be a productive loan personally to be a good one. Cheltenham wouldn't be a bad shout. He doesn't need 46 starts he just needs some experience. If he'd have played the whole season in that league he'd be close to top scorer. Needs to go up a few leagues and put in the hard work and force his way to games

Plenty of lads his age come into the Prem and succeed. 

If he's going to be good enough for us he should be fine by 20 to be in and around the first squad.

Why the need for so many years out on loan for youngsters? Probably because they'll never make it. 

We aren't Chelsea. 

15 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If he's going to be good enough for us he should be fine by 20 to be in and around the first squad.

Why the need for so many years out on loan for youngsters? Probably because they'll never make it. 

We aren't Chelsea. 

Agree with this.

I use Wes Burns as an example; we loaned him out so much we never really got a true measure of his ability.

No point stockpiling these youngsters with 'potential'; at some point they have a be given a proper go.

Besides; all this talk of a 'pathway' to the first team, and I think we've seen exactly one appearance from a (recent) academy lad (McC himself) in a cup game we flushed down the loo, thanks to a ridiculous team selection, and we had one on the bench once - unless LJ, SL and MA are blowing hot air, then when next season comes around, let's have some In and about the place.

(yes; I'm aware Vyner is also a recent academy graduate BUT he already debuted last season, AND the way he's come into the team, then been pulled back out, and not even making the squad when we had no other right backs fit doesn't smack of a dedicated plan to progress him to me)

24 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

We aren't Chelsea. 

I understand the sentiment but don't agree. Players develop at different rates at different ages and most do not hit their peak til around 26 or 27. I'd agree the fact McCoulsky is where he is at 20 suggests he is not bound for the premier league but he has plenty of time to become a good championship striker. The fact that you get the Rashfords or Owens or Rooneyes of this world pulling up trees at 17 or 18 is not a reason to write off players in their early twenties who are yet to hit the heights.

Same 2; no right backs? The new, gleaming, lean machine ML is a proven league 1 Rb just trying to fight off competition in our big squad to prove he is good enough for our division. Yesterday suggests he is.

Overall a good blend of youth, experience, pace, skill and scoring ability in our squad but we still have to secure safety before looking ahead to next season. We also got Taylormoore and you have forgotten Corey played there and did well.

I've been watching Shaun's progress ever since the U21s tour over here last July and the game against Glenavon.

This was my summary....

Really pleased George Dowling got onto the pitch at Cheltenham last night. I confused him with Joe Morrell at Glenavon. Despite his error that led to an easy goal, George was the best player for us. Shaun McCaulsky also deserved a first team try out.  He scored from a decent cross but had little else service wise.  

It was a good header as well. If you saw that recent documentary on Ian Wright there were people who believed in him when Ian was struggling as a 20 yr old with no footy future. Shaun could well be the next Ian Wright.....or not! But from what I saw of him that Thursday night he is worth developing.

What's the latest on George Dowling football wise?

2 hours ago, samo II said:

Agree with this.

I use Wes Burns as an example; we loaned him out so much we never really got a true measure of his ability.

No point stockpiling these youngsters with 'potential'; at some point they have a be given a proper go.

Besides; all this talk of a 'pathway' to the first team, and I think we've seen exactly one appearance from a (recent) academy lad (McC himself) in a cup game we flushed down the loo, thanks to a ridiculous team selection, and we had one on the bench once - unless LJ, SL and MA are blowing hot air, then when next season comes around, let's have some In and about the place.

(yes; I'm aware Vyner is also a recent academy graduate BUT he already debuted last season, AND the way he's come into the team, then been pulled back out, and not even making the squad when we had no other right backs fit doesn't smack of a dedicated plan to progress him to me)

Don't forget Lloyd Kelly, Sam!

Saw him play Weston a few weeks back and he's got potential but definitely needs to bulk out. 20 is young, but plenty of players have very strong league experience at 20 (Pack, Brownhill, Joe Bryan etc and of course Tammy). 

Next season is a big one for him. Go out on loan to a conf/L2 club and struggle, he'll be 21/22 with very little league experience which isn't promising. Hope he goes to a good club (Exeter, Chelts) and nails it. 

8 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Hopefully he becomes a star. Certainly seems like he is a decent striker. I c we are after a lad from I think it's Poole town.

Hi all, I live in Poole and have seen a bit of Poole Town recently.  Local media reported that Brian Tinnion was in the crowd during the week watching Luke Roberts,  a 23 year old winger/striker who is far too good for this level (Conference South). In my opinion he could become quality with the right coaching.  He is rapid on the wing and is left footed. He has also played as a lone striker and considering his slight build has performed brilliantly when you think most centre backs at this level just kick the life out of you. From what I have witnessed his best position is left wing.  

A scout from Reading was there as was FGR manager Mark Cooper. We could do far worse than taking a punt on this lad. 

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:46, Rockin Robin said:

Hi all, I live in Poole and have seen a bit of Poole Town recently.  Local media reported that Brian Tinnion was in the crowd during the week watching Luke Roberts,  a 23 year old winger/striker who is far too good for this level (Conference South). In my opinion he could become quality with the right coaching.  He is rapid on the wing and is left footed. He has also played as a lone striker and considering his slight build has performed brilliantly when you think most centre backs at this level just kick the life out of you. From what I have witnessed his best position is left wing.  

A scout from Reading was there as was FGR manager Mark Cooper. We could do far worse than taking a punt on this lad. 

And therein lies the problem if we sign him!

On 09/04/2017 at 13:33, LondonBristolian said:

I understand the sentiment but don't agree. Players develop at different rates at different ages and most do not hit their peak til around 26 or 27. I'd agree the fact McCoulsky is where he is at 20 suggests he is not bound for the premier league but he has plenty of time to become a good championship striker. The fact that you get the Rashfords or Owens or Rooneyes of this world pulling up trees at 17 or 18 is not a reason to write off players in their early twenties who are yet to hit the heights.

Have watched him a few times and as it sits he is a long,long way off of handling championship football.

A decent loan next season will be a good guage.

On 09/04/2017 at 15:12, Norn Iron said:

I've been watching Shaun's progress ever since the U21s tour over here last July and the game against Glenavon.

This was my summary....

Really pleased George Dowling got onto the pitch at Cheltenham last night. I confused him with Joe Morrell at Glenavon. Despite his error that led to an easy goal, George was the best player for us. Shaun McCaulsky also deserved a first team try out.  He scored from a decent cross but had little else service wise.  

It was a good header as well. If you saw that recent documentary on Ian Wright there were people who believed in him when Ian was struggling as a 20 yr old with no footy future. Shaun could well be the next Ian Wright.....or not! But from what I saw of him that Thursday night he is worth developing.

What's the latest on George Dowling football wise?

Last I heard he came back from his loan WSM guessing still training with U21/U23 

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Is he quick enough or strong enough to do well in the Championship, or dare I say it, League 1?

By 20 he should be able to demonstrate these two key attributes?

Without being exceptional at either I worry he will struggle.

Middlesbrough bought back a 20 year old that they released after he's scored 23 in the Northern Premier League. Leicester have just signed a 22 year old from the same league who's scored 11. The age argument is a bit silly. It's just expectation because of players like Tammy and Rashford. Those are exceptions to what most players are. McCoulskey has done it at the level he's been asked and definitely needs to prove it at a level higher but he's only known lower league. He's going to bloom a bit later because of it. It may be 3 years before he may help city or he may never make it but 20 isn't old. Let's let him develop at his own pace. He's got something about him to score so many at that level. 

On 09/04/2017 at 13:27, samo II said:

Agree with this.

Kelly, Dowling, Mcclousky, Vyner and possibly Morrell could be the players we should give a couple of games to next season. Obviously all of the players apart from Kelly have been given an appearance in the cup/league for us in the past two seasons we need to give these players more chances in the league/cup to be able to develop them on loan or at a league 1/2/conference prem club or even some games for us. 

Archived