IGNORED

It's Our club Mr Lansdown

Elruliri

You are a custodian of our club I have been a supporter since 1982 and my grandfather was since after the second world war. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunities you have had but I can dream of what I could waste millions of pounds on like you have. We as a family have spent a considerable amount of money following this once great club. My late grandad was a staunch supporter of yours, but I now feel you have let him down and us fans that have spent thousands of pounds on following bcfc. We're you clearing snow off the pitch in the early 80's?  No! Will you still be here in 20 years time? I hope not! I will be and so will my kids. Now is the time to do what is wrong with this club. Act now and do the right thing!

7 minutes ago, elruli said:

You are a custodian of our club I have been a supporter since 1982 and my grandfather was since after the second world war. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunities you have had but I can dream of what I could waste millions of pounds on like you have. We as a family have spent a considerable amount of money following this once great club. My late grandad was a staunch supporter of yours, but I now feel you have let him down and us fans that have spent thousands of pounds on following bcfc. We're you clearing snow off the pitch in the early 80's?  No! Will you still be here in 20 years time? I hope not! I will be and so will my kids. Now is the time to do what is wrong with this club. Act now and do the right thing!

With "supporters" like you, who needs rivals..?!

You don't know how lucky we are. Or would you prefer the Venkeys/Wally/Vincent Tan etc..? 

I very much imagine that your late grandfather would have been over the moon at the thought of a genuine City fan, Bristolian Billionaire owner, who'd just spent £50million on rebuilding Ashton Gate and is always happy to support our managers with a seemingly open cheque book. 

Seriously, get a grip! Or start your own multi billion pound company and then show us all how much of a better job you can do. 

It will 'always be' our club....:chant6ez:

But unfortunately as SL has the :yawn:money, it's our club in his control..

Yep were luck we could have a Venkys etc... 

But we have to remember that;

Its one mans dream to replicate what he saw in Barcelona & the football club we all grew up with is now part of the Bristol Sport franchise..

We have a lovely ground & facilities to be proud of..

But we are having to accept SL will do what HE thinks & what HE feels is best for clubs within BS..

My concern has always been - jobs for boys that will allow him to keep control of all things (inc on field activities)

We will never appoint a manager who wants to manage 'his way' (Stuart Pearce...!)

Jobs for boys - throughout - Tinnion.... MacCallister.. and of course LJ..

So enjoy our club...........

8 minutes ago, elruli said:

Now is the time to do what is wrong with this club. Act now and do the right thing!

Eh?

I think you will find that legally it is his club in as much as he owns most of the shares.

I have to say I struggle to get this feeling while I acknowledge many fans express it. Let's compare it to your local pub. You spend a lot of money there. You go week in and week out, regardless of who 'owns' the building, for recreational enjoyment. Do you therefore have the right to say it's 'your' pub? I don't think you do. If you don't like the price of beer or the sticky carpets bog off to another pub. What's the difference in all honesty?

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You don't know how lucky we are. Or would you prefer the Venkeys/Wally/Vincent Tan etc..? 

I very much imagine that your late grandfather would have been over the moon at the thought of a genuine City fan, Bristolian Billionaire owner, who'd just spent £50million on rebuilding Ashton Gate and is always happy to support our managers with a seemingly open cheque book. 

Seriously, get a grip! Or start your own multi billion pound company and then show us all how much of a better job you can do. 

I expect he would be happy with the stadium, I bet he still would in through the doors with what's going on

17 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Eh?

I think you will find that legally it is his club in as much as he owns most of the shares.

I have to say I struggle to get this feeling while I acknowledge many fans express it. Let's compare it to your local pub. You spend a lot of money there. You go week in and week out, regardless of who 'owns' the building, for recreational enjoyment. Do you therefore have the right to say it's 'your' pub? I don't think you do. If you don't like the price of beer or the sticky carpets bog off to another pub. What's the difference in all honesty?

Well, what about brand loyalty?

It does not do any brand, business or owner any good to alienate ?

I think people have been fooled into thinking they are more important than they really are. BCFC is not a reality show where you can vote for who you want to win. 

At work, I never rose to a management role. There were men (and women) IN SUITS, who took decisions and told us what to do. We didn't expect them to come round in baseball caps and tracksuits from Matalan, scribbling down our ideas so they could change how to run the company. Often their line was JFDI (Just F...... Do It).

Yes Bristol City is my club, but I belong to it, like the Camping Club, or Tesco Clubpoints. The club doesn't belong to me.

You can argue until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that the club belongs to Stephen Lansdown. He makes the calls, not us. That isn't going to change. Lets just see what happens. That's why I've been supporting "my" club all these years.

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Eh?

I'm not sure where the romantic notion that football clubs 'belong' to their fans comes from. It might be true up to a point in Germany but not in England, except in the occasional crisis. I note though that Pompey are looking to sell to a billionaire. The rich single owner is still the default then.

The club does belong to the fans in so much as no fans equals no club but the the point of this original post, i think, is about SL's comment about putting more money in than the fans have which whether he meant to say it that way or not was a bonkers thing to say to fans with far far less money than he has who have in terms of ratio of money spent compared to earnings spent far more than SL has and are also paying taxes that he isn't either.

I'm not saying I want SL out. I just think he needs to respect the fans more than he has of late.

11 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

The club does belong to the fans in so much as no fans equals no club but the the point of this original post, i think, is about SL's comment about putting more money in than the fans have which whether he meant to say it that way or not was a bonkers thing to say to fans with far far less money than he has who have in terms of ratio of money spent compared to earnings spent far more than SL has and are also paying taxes that he isn't either.

I'm not saying I want SL out. I just think he needs to respect the fans more than he has of late.

Totally agree with you. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

We have had a few run ins over the years, but enough now; you may continue to worship the only person who tells everyone what to do, and carry on believing how lucky you are; I will not;

He can spend 60billion if he likes and take us to world domination makes no difference until hes gone I am.......enjoy whats to come.... I am done. :sub:

4 hours ago, elruli said:

What opportunities has SL had? 

Like him or loathe him he's self made and as far as I can see had the same opportunities as the rest of us 

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I think people have been fooled into thinking they are more important than they really are. BCFC is not a reality show where you can vote for who you want to win. 

At work, I never rose to a management role. There were men (and women) IN SUITS, who took decisions and told us what to do. We didn't expect them to come round in baseball caps and tracksuits from Matalan, scribbling down our ideas so they could change how to run the company. Often their line was JFDI (Just F...... Do It).

Yes Bristol City is my club, but I belong to it, like the Camping Club, or Tesco Clubpoints. The club doesn't belong to me.

You can argue until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that the club belongs to Stephen Lansdown. He makes the calls, not us. That isn't going to change. Lets just see what happens. That's why I've been supporting "my" club all these years.

oh bugger, you have spoilt my year I thought I owned all the Tesco Clubpoints, Please don't tell me the tooth Fairy doesn't exist.

I think our owner has done ok.  Just having money doesn't guarantee success as lots of other clubs have found out to their detriment. He's got the short term wrong with LJ but he got us Cotts, Dawe might of appointed but the owner makes the decisions as z in interview with Twentypence , I wouldn't be surprised if Lee kept us up and was replaced in the summer. If it were my millions being spent I'm pretty sure it would be my way or the highway. 

Modern football has changed so get used to it . 

Having lived through the club dropping 3 divisions in as many years and nearly going out of business whilst the then chairmen and board invested nothing and were only interested in how to milk some money out of the situation, I can safely say that Steve Lansdown is far from being the worst thing ever to happen to this club.

I realise that football is changing and some people don't like change, but my wife came to the game with me yesterday and was hugely impressed with the facilities, the fans zone, the Sports Bar where we watched the National after the game, and by all the events that were coming up in the near future. She is actually keen on coming down again on Friday and that is something I never thought I would hear her say. 

The modernisation may not be for the traditionalists, but although I am in the age group that should be clinging on to the past, I love the improvements. I can't wait to be in the unreserved section of the South Stand next season and I know my wife will come to more games when I am located there. 

She is just one example of someone being encouraged to start attending games, (football, rugby and even the Flyers) as well as all the peripheral events that are planned. An example of what I imagine SL wants to see happening, it's all revenue at the end of the day. I am sure there are more than a few that will complain that people like her are not "proper" fans, but everyone starts somewhere and the fans of today and in the future have so many other attractions for their time that the enticements have to be many and varied. I think it's working.

3 hours ago, Bullbag said:

The SL worshipers on here thinking he's the messiah.

One day yuo will wake up and smell the coffee and see he is not all that.

I haven't seen anyone indicating they think he's the messiah, but he is the man who has put the most money into this club, and without him things would be very different.  No one will 'wake up and smell the coffee' because I suspect no one is under any illusions about football.  It's a business, owned and run by very rich men, of whom Lansdown is one.  We are fortunate to have him rather than many other club owners.  With responsibility etc, I think you need to wake up and smell modern football.

In my lifetime Bristol City were never overly financially stable. I started going to Ashton Gate in 1971,,,,, and I well remember the "no buy, no sell" policy. Fortunately Clubs cant do that these days. Even the glory years of the 70's led the the very near destruction of the club.

Later fans laughed at Russell Osman.... who was given about 30pence to spend by our beloved Chairman...David Russe. To be fair to Osman, he achieved a massive amount despite having to put up with the likes of Henry McKop in the squad.

In recent years Steve Lansdown turned up. I don't agree with everything he does, but this club (in my lifetime) has never been more financially stable.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

We have had a few run ins over the years, but enough now; you may continue to worship the only person who tells everyone what to do, and carry on believing how lucky you are; I will not;

He can spend 60billion if he likes and take us to world domination makes no difference until hes gone I am.......enjoy whats to come.... I am done. :sub:

So, say four years from now, we have established ourselves in the Championship, then we've made the play off final, won it, and have Arsenal at home in our first game in the Premier League. You won't be going because our owner didn't sack Lee Johnson in 2017?

Makes perfect sense.

There are plenty of us who are able to appreciate what Lansdown has brought to this club - most significantly, huge investment in our infrastructure - whilst acknowledging and questioning much of his decision making, particularly regarding Johnson. Just because we don't want him to leave doesn't make us "worshippers".

My take on yesterday's interview is that, while I think his decision to stick with LJ is a huge gamble that I don't agree with, SL is backing his current strategy of managerial continuity because he believes it is in the best long term interests of the club. In some ways I find this both brave and admirable. I still believe he acts with the best of intentions. And, while it may prove to be misguided, it could still prove to be the right decision in the long term, if LJ does learn lessons from this season and go on to prosper.

Without a doubt I question many of SL's recent decisions. But to say you won't come again until he leaves is disproportionate in the extreme.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So, say four years from now, we have established ourselves in the Championship, then we've made the play off final, won it, and have Arsenal at home in our first game in the Premier League. You won't be going because our owner didn't sack Lee Johnson in 2017?

Makes perfect sense.

There are plenty of us who are able to appreciate what Lansdown has brought to this club - most significantly, huge investment in our infrastructure - whilst acknowledging and questioning much of his decision making, particularly regarding Johnson. Just because we don't want him to leave doesn't make us "worshippers".

My take on yesterday's interview is that, while I think his decision to stick with LJ is a huge gamble that I don't agree with, SL is backing his current strategy of managerial continuity because he believes it is in the best long term interests of the club. In some ways I find this both brave and admirable. I still believe he acts with the best of intentions. And, while it may prove to be misguided, it could still prove to be the right decision in the long term, if LJ does learn lessons from this season and go on to prosper.

Without a doubt I question many of SL's recent decisions. But to say you won't come again until he leaves is disproportionate in the extreme.

Well said CR. At the risk of sounding like some of the other broken records on here, the only time we achieved the ultimate success was with a Manager who had 8 years to bring his vision to fruition. Although there have been odd moments of success and glorious misses from those with less time allocated to them, it is worth keeping that in mind.

and the amazing thing is that some want Steve Lansdown to leave....and actually believe there is a more benevolent owner waiting in the wings. Ask Blackburn fans how the feel out Venky's, ask Villa fans how the feel about Randy Lerner, ask Swindon fans how they feel about Lee Power....be careful what you wish for. There are many many clubs who'd quite happily swap their owner for ours

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

and the amazing thing is that some want Steve Lansdown to leave....and actually believe there is a more benevolent owner waiting in the wings. Ask Blackburn fans how the feel out Venky's, ask Villa fans how the feel about Randy Lerner, ask Swindon fans how they feel about Lee Power....be careful what you wish for. There are many many clubs who'd quite happily swap their owner for ours

I was thinking this yesterday, obviously Blackburn lost Jack Walker for the worst reason, but it does seem like Dave Whelan has lost interest (or run out of spare cash) at Wigan, and look where they are right now. 

Archived