IGNORED

Champions League places

27 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I know when Liverpool won it a few years back we had 5 teams but I thought they changed the rules.

Just everyone is after a top 4 spot and only might be 2 or 3 available 

Doesn`t the number of places allocated depend on your country`s record in it over the last how ever many years?

If im correct the Reward for the Eurpoa League win is a Champions League place but this is not dependant on Country ie. A place is allocated to the champions league for the winner of the Europa so doesn't affect the top 4.

However, winning the champions league only ensures your position as one of the teams from your own country who enter the champions league so 4th would miss out if Leicester/(Chelsea a few years ago) win it

4 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

If im correct the Reward for the Eurpoa League win is a Champions League place but this is not dependant on Country ie. A place is allocated to the champions league for the winner of the Europa so doesn't affect the top 4.

However, winning the champions league only ensures your position as one of the teams from your own country who enter the champions league so 4th would miss out if Leicester/(Chelsea a few years ago) win it

That is 100% correct 

For 4th to miss out, both Man United and Leicester have to win their respective competitions and not finish in the top 4. The rule has changed since Chelsea won it, as the Europa League winners didn't get a CL place then.

And if the above scenario occurs, the 3rd placed team would have to go in the qualifying round that 4th normally does.

35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For 4th to miss out, both Man United and Leicester have to win their respective competitions and not finish in the top 4. The rule has changed since Chelsea won it, as the Europa League winners didn't get a CL place then.

And if the above scenario occurs, the 3rd placed team would have to go in the qualifying round that 4th normally does.

I think the Utd position is independent. Simply, if Lecester win the thing, 4th miss out.

1 hour ago, NottsRed said:

And what happens off United get 4th and won Europa League? Would the spot go to 5th in the PL? 

I guess it would go to Europa League runner up (Or as far back as needed to find a team not in the CL) It wouldnt go to 5th in the PL as country of origin is irrelevant. 

Just now, Robin 101 said:

I guess it would go to Europa League runner up (Or as far back as needed to find a team not in the CL) It wouldnt go to 5th in the PL as country of origin is irrelevant. 

What it does mean I guess is that Man Utd will have to go for the Europa League as there`s no guarantee they`ll finish fourth.

Archived