IGNORED

Engvall injured (Merged)

1891 B.C. Sweden

I do feel sorry for the lad but do seriously wonder why we even signed him in the first place- seemed like a bit of a panic buy after Kodjia left. Other clubs such as Preston seem to pick up good players for peanuts and here we are spunking 1.6m (most of which went into agent's pockets) for a nice touch against Hull and a through ball at Fleetwood. Would love to be proven wrong but I see this going down as one of our worst transfers ever.

14 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I do feel sorry for the lad but do seriously wonder why we even signed him in the first place- seemed like a bit of a panic buy after Kodjia left. Other clubs such as Preston seem to pick up good players for peanuts and here we are spunking 1.6m (most of which went into agent's pockets) for a nice touch against Hull and a through ball at Fleetwood. Would love to be proven wrong but I see this going down as one of our worst transfers ever.

If we buy players for peanuts then SL is criticised for not backing the manager/head coach.

For goodness sake, SL was criticised for not backing SC when SC had tried to sign £7m strikers - unless Sc was going to use his own savings to make those purchases!

Another thread talks about Tomlin and I suspect the general feeling is that he is a luxury we can't afford, i.e. when he's on he is a world beater, but he does that too infrequently,  and yet I also suspect most fans were desperate for us to sign him permanently after last season's performances.

I suppose we just have to accept that, with the way this season has gone, many fans are looking for just about everything to criticise the club/SL/LJ for, and especially with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight..

Just now, downendcity said:

If we buy players for peanuts then SL is criticised for not backing the manager/head coach.

For goodness sake, SL was criticised for not backing SC when SC had tried to sign £7m strikers - unless Sc was going to use his own savings to make those purchases!

Another thread talks about Tomlin and I suspect the general feeling is that he is a luxury we can't afford, i.e. when he's on he is a world beater, but he does that too infrequently,  and yet I also suspect most fans were desperate for us to sign him permanently after last season's performances.

I suppose we just have to accept that, with the way this season has gone, many fans are looking for just about everything to criticise the club/SL/LJ for, and especially with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight..

Regardless of my opinions about SL/LJ, I was sceptical of this signing from the day it was made. This was a lad who had an okay goalscoring figure, was very young, and had to leave his family and girlfriend. I think it was unfair on him to bring him here so early when he was clearly not ready, and he has been completely messed around when his loan was briefly suspended. My opinion on the lad isn't born out of some prejudice for him due to his fee, or any malice I currently hold towards SL and LJ. To sign a player that barely plays before being rushed out on loan is poor management that will only alienate him- he must think he's made a huge mistake. This move represents how our approach can go wrong and why we must refine our policies instead of taking punts on those with situational factors that will hugely inhibit their progress from day one.

49 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Regardless of my opinions about SL/LJ, I was sceptical of this signing from the day it was made. This was a lad who had an okay goalscoring figure, was very young, and had to leave his family and girlfriend. I think it was unfair on him to bring him here so early when he was clearly not ready, and he has been completely messed around when his loan was briefly suspended. My opinion on the lad isn't born out of some prejudice for him due to his fee, or any malice I currently hold towards SL and LJ. To sign a player that barely plays before being rushed out on loan is poor management that will only alienate him- he must think he's made a huge mistake. This move represents how our approach can go wrong and why we must refine our policies instead of taking punts on those with situational factors that will hugely inhibit their progress from day one.

NR,

My comments were not directed at you, but more the general feeling that seems to be expressed on here, and has been for some time.

I don't disagree with you regarding the Engvall signing, but I guess this is always the danger with an unknown foreign signing about who fans know virtually nothing. For every one Kodjia, the likelihood is that there will be umpteen Engvalls.

My feeling is that in future, looking for the next Kodjia is probably the ideal way forward, i.e. a player playing abroad but a bit under the radar of top British clubs. The value for money potential is tremendous, but as we are seeing with Engvall, both clubs and fans have to accept a higher than normal risk factor.

I am also pretty much on board with the club's long term plan , i.e. bring in young players where there is a good chance of improvement ( queue the cynics stating their is no chance of that at BCFC or under LJ!) where we either benefit directly with them being part of the first team or financially through increased sell on value.

However, will fans accept that we are not going out and spending top dollar for "proven" players as a matter of course?

The dilemma is that a long term plan will not guarantee instant success, and therein lies it's biggest problem.

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

it's an incredible transfer, if he'd have cost less than a £1m, then no one would have really been kicking off about his lack of action, but too spend as much as we have on the player and for him not to get a look in is what I believe has upset most people. 

We're not a club that spends close to £2m on "fringe players for the future"  and frankly it doesn't make much business sense.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

NR,

My comments were not directed at you, but more the general feeling that seems to be expressed on here, and has been for some time.

I don't disagree with you regarding the Engvall signing, but I guess this is always the danger with an unknown foreign signing about who fans know virtually nothing. For every one Kodjia, the likelihood is that there will be umpteen Engvalls.

My feeling is that in future, looking for the next Kodjia is probably the ideal way forward, i.e. a player playing abroad but a bit under the radar of top British clubs. The value for money potential is tremendous, but as we are seeing with Engvall, both clubs and fans have to accept a higher than normal risk factor.

I am also pretty much on board with the club's long term plan , i.e. bring in young players where there is a good chance of improvement ( queue the cynics stating their is no chance of that at BCFC or under LJ!) where we either benefit directly with them being part of the first team or financially through increased sell on value.

However, will fans accept that we are not going out and spending top dollar for "proven" players as a matter of course?

The dilemma is that a long term plan will not guarantee instant success, and therein lies it's biggest problem.

Ah, I see- my mistake. Here is my sicknote, got a bit of a case of 'Monday Morning Syndrome'

I can get on board with our strategy, but Gustav's signing had a hint of panic around it. I understand that Kodjia is older, but his stats were better and he was set to go into the first team. Perhaps we should looking at these overseas players if they are a couple of years older than Gustav. To take up permanent residence on the other side of Europe, away from family and girlfriend, at that age is brave but very risky due to all the emotional and psychological factors that come into play as he makes his transition. It just seems too much, too soon for him, and being his age myself I feel this would be the most common occurance for players that age.

I wouldn't write him off yet, he hasn't really been given a chance this season but should get more of a look-in next with Tammy gone, plus he'll have had time to adjust to living here although I'm sure he was a panic buy, it wasn't planned for Kodjia to go and he left with only a few days left in the transfer window. In a way that messed up our plans until we managed to sign the new ones in January. If we'd had Kodjia and Tammy up front we'd never have got into the mess we have.

Archived