IGNORED

Life without Tammy?

Dolman Block B

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could always use the taxi driver on a "pay as you find" basis.........:whistle:

Hmm, maybe the whole family too. You still driving minibuses? 

So without Wilbs and Tammy we'll have four strikers next season: Djuric, Taylor, Engvall and Mclousky. Here are my thoughts on a new one:

Sam Gallagher: 10 goals on loan at a struggling Blackburn side.

Danny Ward: 9 goals and 4 assists at an awful and already relegated team Rotherham.

Lys Mousset: 14 goals in ligue 2 last season but struggling at Bournemouth this season to get game time.

Adama Niane: Current top scorer in Ligue 2 with 20 goals (next answer to Kodjia?).

Lewis Grabban: Experienced Championship player who in 2013/14 was 4th top scorer in the league with 22 goals and won promotion to the Premier league with Norwich in the 2014/15 season whilst scoring 12 goals.

So what do you think about this then?

Just now, Judda said:

I really rate Djuic but he'll do well to score 10 goals in a season.  He'll get more assists and worth his place for hold up play alone....

I think he would surprise a lot of people. I think he'd getting 15+ with the right service. His athleticism and good technique will be too much for many defenders in this league. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Tammy has been the one blessing in a truly abysmal season.Will be so sorry to see him go.I really hope he achieves everything he aspires to.No matter where he goes and whatever heights he reaches,even in a bad season I hope he always feels a "bit City".In a game that can leave supporters feeling more and more disengaged I cannot wish enough good things on him.

I just about could hear his on pitch interview post game and watch the one on player last night. What an example he sets. I have to agree he is a class act and whether he goes all the way to the top or not, he is a credit to himself, his family and his club. I think he earned himself 15k fans for life.

15 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

So without Wilbs and Tammy we'll have four strikers next season: Djuric, Taylor, Engvall and Mclousky. Here are my thoughts on a new one:

Sam Gallagher: 10 goals on loan at a struggling Blackburn side.

Danny Ward: 9 goals and 4 assists at an awful and already relegated team Rotherham.

Lys Mousset: 14 goals in ligue 2 last season but struggling at Bournemouth this season to get game time.

Adama Niane: Current top scorer in Ligue 2 with 20 goals (next answer to Kodjia?).

Lewis Grabban: Experienced Championship player who in 2013/14 was 4th top scorer in the league with 22 goals and won promotion to the Premier league with Norwich in the 2014/15 season whilst scoring 12 goals.

So what do you think about this then?

I did think about Gallagher - is he actually a Blackburn player though or on loan from Saints?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

What does "wasted him" mean?

I mean we've had a great player in a dog's breakfast of a season. He might have taken an average team to the verge of promotion. 

As it is we're using him to scrape survival. Hopefully. 

18 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I mean we've had a great player in a dog's breakfast of a season. He might have taken an average team to the verge of promotion. 

As it is we're using him to scrape survival. Hopefully. 

What we've done is feed Tammy with enough quality ammunition to score 20+ goals. 

The only negative is that Chelsea will in the long run benefit from the experience he's gained in the SBC with City playing at a decent level.

Well said. Tammy has scored most of his goals from assists; he is not a Maynard nor a SuperBob and a who made and then scored their own.

Like you I agree he has been brilliant and everyone on this forum should go to AG for his final 3 games. Non stop support for him, the team and Lj could make him less likely to leave!2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

What we've done is feed Tammy with enough quality ammunition to score 20+ goals. 

The only negative is that Chelsea will in the long run benefit from the experience he's gained in the SBC with City playing at a decent level.

Do you mean 'YTC'??...

...that is 'Yokohoma Tyres Chelsea'.

Would be easier to write is all....

Assuming we do sign a suitable replacement; please can we sign them for at least three years?

Maynard, Baldock, Smith, Kodjia and now Abraham; all here for just two years or less. This means City are each Summer, trying to keep up rather than strengthen and progress.

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Allow me to explain...

If the head coach had us playing to even 75% of what we're capable of, Tammy should have been a strike who'd have us knocking on the door of the playoffs. As it is, we've been shit and Tammy alone has dragged us up from between Rotherham and Wigan which is where we would have been without him. 

There you go 'wasted'. 

I don't know how some posters have misunderstood this? I thought it was pretty simple...

I hope (and think) he will go on to have a great career. Every interview he gives makes me smile - just seems like a nice lad who appreciates the opportunity - similar to Albert.

In terms of replacement I wouldn't surprised if we get another Chelsea lad on loan. The likes of Kasey Palmer / Dominic Solanke are similarly rated.

43 minutes ago, 22A said:

Assuming we do sign a suitable replacement; please can we sign them for at least three years?

Maynard, Baldock, Smith, Kodjia and now Abraham; all here for just two years or less. This means City are each Summer, trying to keep up rather than strengthen and progress.

Sadly that isn't how modern football works.

If a player does really well (like Kodjia) or Tammy, who wasn't ours in the first place, then they move on quickly to something better.

If they struggle, like Agard (and Engvall may well yet end up like this), then we get rid.

Since we have got promoted back to this level under GJ only 2 strikers have made 100+ league appearances for us, Maynard (and what a bloody saga his last year was) and Wilbs, who is like a player from a completely different era compared to most of them these days...

53 minutes ago, 22A said:

Too right , we need to sign players for the future .

:rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If a player does really well (like Kodjia) or Tammy, who wasn't ours in the first place, then they move on quickly to something better.

If they struggle, like Agard (and Engvall may well yet end up like this), then we get rid.

Since we have got promoted back to this level under GJ only 2 strikers have made 100+ league appearances for us, Maynard (and what a bloody saga his last year was) and Wilbs, who is like a player from a completely different era compared to most of them these days...

Since we got promoted to the Championship in 2007 Tammy is now out joint second highest scorer with Marvin Elliott (!) on 21 goals behind Maynard who is way out in front on his own with 45 goals.

Interestingly if you take out Tammy's goals this season we'd be 13 points worse off so he's accounted for about 25% of our points tally!

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Since we got promoted to the Championship in 2007 Tammy is now out joint second highest scorer with Martin Elliot (!) on 21 goals behind Maynard who is way out in front on his own with 45 goals.

I guess you're only counting goals at this level?

As Wilbraham, Baldock and JET will have all got more than 21 goals for us since then.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Since we got promoted to the Championship in 2007 Tammy is now out joint second highest scorer with Martin Elliot (!) on 21 goals behind Maynard who is way out in front on his own with 45 goals.

Interestingly if you take out Tammy's goals this season we'd be 13 points worse off so he's accounted for about 25% of our points tally!

Great stat.

I think it shows two other things that are now often forgotten (or deliberately misremembered), Marvin was a really solid contributor for us over a number of seasons, so all this "he had one great season and was never the same again" stuff is bollocks (he only cost us £100k, too).

Maynard may have left us in a way that resembled a messy divorce but again his goals per £ value for us was pretty damn high.

Never going to fit in with the narrative that always mentions Styvar, but just like Basso, McAllister, McCombe, Fontaine, McIndoe, Noble, Brian Wilson, Adebola, Showunmi, Byfield and Sproule these were both GJ/Pete Johnson era signings..

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I was saying to someone a while back that I doubt whether we will ever have another player that gets 50 goals for us.

Peacock, Thorpe and Murray, who obviously all played in the same team are the last 3 players to get past 50 goals. Maynard is really the only player since to get close and he stayed around longer than he would have due to his injury and then, as you say, the complete farce that was his final season.

As you so rightly say, if they're a success then someone will buy them off us and if they're not we will be looking for an improvement before too long.

For a while I hoped Baldock might get past 50 goals as I was never sure about his ability to play for a top team at this level, and felt there was a chance we'd be able to hang on onto him. Clearly when he is celebrating promotion to the Premier League in a couple of weeks that belief will look rather stupid.

17 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I was saying to someone a while back that I doubt whether we will ever have another player that gets 50 goals for us.

Peacock, Thorpe and Murray, who obviously all played in the same team are the last 3 players to get past 50 goals. Maynard is really the only player since to get close and he stayed around longer than he would have due to his injury and then, as you say, the complete farce that was his final season.

As you so rightly say, if they're a success then someone will buy them off us and if they're not we will be looking for an improvement before too long.

For a while I hoped Baldock might get past 50 goals as I was never sure about his ability to play for a top team at this level, and felt there was a chance we'd be able to hang on onto him. Clearly when he is celebrating promotion to the Premier League in a couple of weeks that belief will look rather stupid.

Have been thinking the very same - well, I put it at 100 goals - for some years and when Baldock moved on he was just the latest example.

What if we had a forward scoring say 13 or 14 a season for three seasons - would a bigger fish want someone scoring at that rate; and would we extend his contract by another year or two, or get a bit frustrated he isn't scoring 17 or 18 and hanker after a new forward?

Either way, it is a symptom of modern football, the transient nature of contracts and careers especially for sought after players. There isn't as much time for player and fans to "bond" - certainly not with goal-scoring heroes - for great moments and memories to be shared, and a sense of not wanting to develop too much attachment to the better players pervades, as we now know they will be off (if they score 20+ a season, for example). This, imho, in part explains a lot of the cynicism and fickleness from fans toward players (only made worse by social media etc). 

It is the average players that stay the longest, not the ones to inhabit your imagination and daydreams but many of them have their attractions too.

Archived