IGNORED

I presume its all off to a miracle in 2026?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What I should have said was that Canada isn't an easily recognised football nation.

When I see Canada and sport, I think ice hockey..........

The Canadians have become very good at basketball and could be genuine competition for the US in that sport but yes they are known for their ice hockey. There are a few Canadians in English leagues though. Scott Arfield and Junior Hoilett off the top of my head. 

It's a shame England, Wales and Scotland get overlooked. I think many on here would prefer England only but Celtic park and Millenium Stadium would be good venues to go along with the English ones. Though I would look forward to a World Cup in my home country. I think it would be much more appreciated there nowadays. 

Sod North America - it should be held in England. It could mark the 60th anniversary of when we last held and won the damned thing. There are plenty of excellent stadiums - and we might even extend the Atyeo to get more capacity so that we could qualify to hold some matches.  If they don't bring ut to the UK I refuse to buy tickets for it!

51 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Sod North America - it should be held in England. It could mark the 60th anniversary of when we last held and won the damned thing. There are plenty of excellent stadiums - and we might even extend the Atyeo to get more capacity so that we could qualify to hold some matches.  If they don't bring ut to the UK I refuse to buy tickets for it!

Isn't the required capacity for world cup matches 42,000? If so the new Atyeo would have to be a 20,000 seat monster of a stand.

Just now, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Isn't the required capacity for world cup matches 42,000? If so the new Atyeo would have to be a 20,000 seat monster of a stand.

Not sure if this will still be the case now the competition has been expanded - there is aways Ashton Vale........................

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

An interesting idea. 

I didn't know that Canada played football.

Craig Forrest - Ipswich Town keeper

Paul Peschisolido - striker for Brum, Stoke, WBA, Fulham, QPR, Sheffield U, Norwich, Derby and Luton (53 goals for Canada)

Tomas Radzinski - Everton striker

Carlo Corazzin - Plymouth, Oldham, Northampton striker

Jim Brennan - Bristol City, Forest, Norwich, Huddersfield, Saints defender

Alex Bunbury - West Ham defender

Jason de Vos - Wigan, Ipswich defender

David Edgar - Newcastle, Burnley, Swansea, Brum, Huddersfield, Sheffield U defender

Iain Hume - Tranmere, Barnsley, Leicester, PNE, Donny R, Fleetwood striker

....etc etc etc etc.

I bet you've seen at least a few of those play?!

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Paul Peschisolido - striker for Brum, Stoke, WBA, Fulham, QPR, Sheffield U, Norwich, Derby and Luton (53 goals for Canada)

David Edgar - Newcastle, Burnley, Swansea, Brum, Huddersfield, Sheffield U defender

....etc etc etc etc.

We even had a sicknote Canadian playing for England!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

What I should have said was that Canada isn't an easily recognised football nation.

When I see Canada and sport, I think ice hockey..........

The Canadian armed forces are good at making 'Moose Milk' (a rather alcoholic drink) and getting rather upset on being called 'Plastic Yanks'.

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....etc etc etc etc.

Owen Hargreaves could have qualified for Canada I think.. England's player of Euro 2004 IMO

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hargreaves?!

Aye born there even though his parents were British. I think he maybe the only member of the family that was born there as well! If I remember a interview with him many moons ago correctly

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

richwwtk

hang your head in shame

do you not know the story

about the ship that sailed from Bristol and gave North America its name?

My only defence is I'm from Weston and not a Bristolian, but I'm afraid I don't know that particular story or at least, I can't recall it from the thread title.

I would certainly be interested in knowing more though.

13 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

My only defence is I'm from Weston and not a Bristolian, but I'm afraid I don't know that particular story or at least, I can't recall it from the thread title.

I would certainly be interested in knowing more though.

legend has it that on seeing land, they shouted "it's a merical"  or "it's a miracle", in English

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....etc etc etc etc.

Our very own Les Wilson (71-73) is a Canadian

Archived