IGNORED

Freeman

Charlie BCFC

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Ray White said:

There are so many opinions on here that are wrong. He only refused to play after being messed about by Johnson and was well within his rights to leave.

Maybe so, but surely a player refusing to play is a problem anyway?

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You won't 'clap' Freeman?! Good God, some incredibly short memories on here.....you don't think he made a superb contribution to our title winning season? The first since 1955?

Bet you 'clap' Matt Smith who was only with us for three months...

Maynard made a great contribution Aswell, wouldn't clap him either if he was playing against us.

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

Won't be getting a clap. A player who was our best player in the best season we've ever had. I really don't blame him for wanting to go, if I was him if have done the exact same. Seems to have worked well for him too so good on him.

I don't understand why people take themselves so seriously when it comes to football sometimes. :facepalm:

Because of the way he fabricated the move. Yes he had that one great season but to me he lost all the good will with the way he left us.

Anything other than a great reception will be unfair in my opinion. Arguably the player of the season in our double season he has left what was clearly an unstable situation under our ineffective manager. I for one would cheer him and Ayling whenever they grace the Gate. To be honest all involved with the best season I've been a part of can be forgiven for moving on or not performing to their best under Little Lee. Of course, even greater respect to those sticking it out.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Freeman deserves a superb reception, rapturous applause - the guy played a major part in the only City team to win a division since 1955 - how anyone can think he deserves anything but a good reception is way beyond me....

Hear bloody hear!

I won’t get carried away; but I’ll give him a clap. I don’t know the reasons why he wanted to leave ; so I don’t have a problem with him and thought he was okay for us.

Taken from the official website.

Posted: Sat 28 Jan 2017  Author: Adam Baker

Lee Johnson admits the Luke Freeman situation is likely to come to a head before Tuesday's transfer deadline. 

Out of contract in the summer, Freeman has been the subject of bids from another Sky Bet Championship club during the month of January. 

Head coach Johnson has maintained throughout that he would prefer to keep Freeman, who had been offered new terms at Ashton Gate. 

However, the contract on the table remains unsigned and attempts to include Freeman in the squad for the Emirates FA Cup fourth round tie at Burnley were thwarted, revealed the City chief. 

"We wanted him to come along and be involved today but he made it clear he didn't want to be," Johnson said.

"He didn't feel he was mentally right to play and that tells a story in itself. It's disappointing because you want your best players to be available. 

"He's made it clear he wants to move on and that one is still pending so we'll have to see what happens between now and Tuesday."

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Just needed to be played in his best position for this level it seems 

What is that, CM? Because nobody was calling for that whilst he was here. He had ample opportunity at this level under SC and LJ at both CAM and on the wing and flattered to deceive time and time again.

Deserving of a good reception for what he did in the promotion season and LF undoubtedly has the ability to play at this level. But he was given more than enough opportunity at this level with us and didn't produce enough.

40 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

What is that, CM? Because nobody was calling for that whilst he was here. He had ample opportunity at this level under SC and LJ at both CAM and on the wing and flattered to deceive time and time again.

Deserving of a good reception for what he did in the promotion season and LF undoubtedly has the ability to play at this level. But he was given more than enough opportunity at this level with us and didn't produce enough.

Correct, nobody was calling for it. Turns out central midfield might be his best position. Not CAM or on the wings.

Johnson didn't spot it despite working with him every day in training.  Holloway saw it immediately.  

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Correct, nobody was calling for it. Turns out central midfield might be his best position. Not CAM or on the wings.

Johnson didn't spot it despite working with him every day in training.  Holloway saw it immediately.  

Neither had any other manager. Will be interesting to see how he does in the long-term, QPR had a good spell when Holloway first went there but things seem to be reverting to the norm again now. I think LF is a standard Championship player, I wouldn't say we miss him as he simply didn't perform when here. Ended up being a left footed imitation of Campbell-Ryce at this level. Probably will score Friday, mind!

17 hours ago, JBFC II said:

When did he ever refuse to play? He just refused to extend his contract for another year because LJ wasn't giving him much game time and he was gaining interest from elsewhere which is fair enough

He refused the contract and was given the game time aswell. He did refuse to play apparently there must've been a reason why he wasn't in the squad last few games before he left. Saying that really good player in our promotion season (better than Dele Alli that's how good!) think he will have a good reception but he did more wrong then Kodjia get he got slaughtered when we played them at Villa Park.

1 hour ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

I won’t get carried away; but I’ll give him a clap. I don’t know the reasons why he wanted to leave ; so I don’t have a problem with him and thought he was okay for us.

Taken from the official website.

Posted: Sat 28 Jan 2017  Author: Adam Baker

Lee Johnson admits the Luke Freeman situation is likely to come to a head before Tuesday's transfer deadline. 

Out of contract in the summer, Freeman has been the subject of bids from another Sky Bet Championship club during the month of January. 

Head coach Johnson has maintained throughout that he would prefer to keep Freeman, who had been offered new terms at Ashton Gate. 

However, the contract on the table remains unsigned and attempts to include Freeman in the squad for the Emirates FA Cup fourth round tie at Burnley were thwarted, revealed the City chief. 

"We wanted him to come along and be involved today but he made it clear he didn't want to be," Johnson said.

"He didn't feel he was mentally right to play and that tells a story in itself. It's disappointing because you want your best players to be available. 

"He's made it clear he wants to move on and that one is still pending so we'll have to see what happens between now and Tuesday."

There you go refused to play!

2 hours ago, Flint says No said:

That's my view and if you can't accept it then what's the point point being on this forum?

Of course you are entitled to your view. I just don't agree with you when you say Freeman deserves a 'negative reaction' when he returns to Ashton Gate...most people on this thread seem to disagree with you...

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Of course you are entitled to your view. I just don't agree with you when you say Freeman deserves a 'negative reaction' when he returns to Ashton Gate...most people on this thread seem to disagree with you...

Well if Kodjia got that reaction when we played them then Freeman deserves the same. He deserves a positive reaction as did Kodjia when we went to Villa Park.

25 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Well if Kodjia got that reaction when we played them then Freeman deserves the same. He deserves a positive reaction as did Kodjia when we went to Villa Park.

Yep I couldn't understand the reaction to Kodjia either - he joined us as a relatively unknown player, we gave him a platform and he scored the goals to keep us up. Then we got an offer we/he couldn't refuse and he moved up to a massive club and we got zillions of pounds for LJ to squander...

On 4/11/2017 at 22:32, shelts said:

What a load of cobblers that is. He refused to play . The club and fans meant nothing to him . Unacceptable. 

19 hours ago, Flint says No said:

There you go refused to play!

Not so.

All the posters who have said that it was Johnson who left Freeman out for several games, then just before deadline day asked him to play, are bang on.

Freeman was in his rights not to sign a contract, Johnson chose not to play him. When that didn't work, Johnson tried to spin it to look like Freeman was the bad guy.

Johnson: "I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed."

Johnson admits he needs quick contract decision from Freeman

Posted: Sat 14 Jan 2017
Author: Adam Baker

Head coach on winger's absence from the matchday squad.

• Londoner has been offered "very good contract"
  • Deal remains unsigned at present
  • Freeman was left out of the matchday squad against Cardiff
Lee Johnson admits he needs Luke Freeman to make up his mind quickly about his future.

The winger is out of contract in the summer and has been the subject of interest from another club.

City have offered Freeman a “very good contract” according to the head coach, but still he hasn’t put pen to paper.

Johnson told Bristol City Player HD that Freeman’s absence from the squad for the 3-2 home defeat to Cardiff City “had everything to do with the contract situation”.

He added: “The objective remains that we want Luke to stay and sign the contract, but there always comes a tipping point.

“Luke has two good clubs interested in him. One is closer to home; the other is one where he has made his name, improving year on year and where he is loved by the staff, players and fans.

“The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

“I’m not for one minute saying that Luke is not committed, but there’s clearly a lot going through his mind at the moment.

“We still live in hope that he’ll sign the contract but we can’t leave that on the table forever. We have to do what’s right for Bristol City first and foremost.

”He has to make a decision and do that reasonably quickly.”

35 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Not so.

All the posters who have said that it was Johnson who left Freeman out for several games, then just before deadline day asked him to play, are bang on.

Freeman was in his rights not to sign a contract, Johnson chose not to play him. When that didn't work, Johnson tried to spin it to look like Freeman was the bad guy.

Johnson: "I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed."

Johnson admits he needs quick contract decision from Freeman

Posted: Sat 14 Jan 2017
Author: Adam Baker

Head coach on winger's absence from the matchday squad.

• Londoner has been offered "very good contract"
  • Deal remains unsigned at present
  • Freeman was left out of the matchday squad against Cardiff
Lee Johnson admits he needs Luke Freeman to make up his mind quickly about his future.

The winger is out of contract in the summer and has been the subject of interest from another club.

City have offered Freeman a “very good contract” according to the head coach, but still he hasn’t put pen to paper.

Johnson told Bristol City Player HD that Freeman’s absence from the squad for the 3-2 home defeat to Cardiff City “had everything to do with the contract situation”.

He added: “The objective remains that we want Luke to stay and sign the contract, but there always comes a tipping point.

“Luke has two good clubs interested in him. One is closer to home; the other is one where he has made his name, improving year on year and where he is loved by the staff, players and fans.

“The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

“I’m not for one minute saying that Luke is not committed, but there’s clearly a lot going through his mind at the moment.

“We still live in hope that he’ll sign the contract but we can’t leave that on the table forever. We have to do what’s right for Bristol City first and foremost.

”He has to make a decision and do that reasonably quickly.”

So he refused to play? The above confirms that 

LJ can pick and play whoever he likes as like it or not he's the boss.

Sounds like another case of an overpaid pampered player who can do what he likes as he can quite easily afford not to be paid for 2 weeks. 

Just now, Rob k said:

So he refused to play? The above confirms that 

LJ can pick and play whoever he likes as like it or not he's the boss.

Sounds like another case of an overpaid pampered player who can do what he likes as he can quite easily afford not to be paid for 2 weeks. 

You're not getting it.

Johnson: “The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

So Freeman has been left out for several games, during which he therefore quite naturally pursues the QPR option. Two weeks down the line, he is probably is close to agreeing terms.

At which point Johnson changes his stance and invites a player who, in his words, he could not risk playing, to travel to Burnley.

How is Freeman likely to have become more committed in the 3 weeks that Johnson did not play him because allegedly according to Johnson that he may not be committed?

I think that is appalling management and an appalling waste of a player who, when Johnson first dropped him, had not in any way indicated he would not play for us or was not committed while he remained a Bristol City player.

Deserves a clap for his quality in league one.

Then couldn't step up to the Championship, was very poor and let himself down by refusing to play. No excuses you're signed a contract, are on good money so you play when required. 

Polite clap at the start for league one and that's it. No booing, but nothing more than a small clap. 

On 11/04/2017 at 23:01, RedDave said:

Surprised to see nobody mention that he's excelling at QPR in a position he never played in for us.  Johnson clearly couldn't see that his best position is central midfield.  Holloway could.  That's a worry.

He often played central midfield. He just had a tendency to run out wide when he did.

I don't think you can tar LJ with Freeman's ineffectiveness - he looked awful under Cotts too, in the Championship. 

He was improving before he was sold, true, but he'd been in pretty bad form for almost a season and a half before that.

It amuses me that - after months of saying he's crap and should be off-loaded - Otibers are now hailing Freeman as a gem who we let slip through our fingers.

Just now, Selred said:

Deserves a clap for his quality in league one.

Then couldn't step up to the Championship, was very poor and let himself down by refusing to play. No excuses you're signed a contract, are on good money so you play when required. 

Polite clap at the start for league one and that's it. No booing, but nothing more than a small clap. 

To be fair, he allegedly told LJ he'd "rather not play": He was mid-transfer talks and he felt his mind wouldn't be focused on the matter in hand.

It's a small, but subtle difference from an outright refusal to pull on the shirt.

Archived