IGNORED

Freeman

Charlie BCFC

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, he allegedly told LJ he'd "rather not play": He was mid-transfer talks and he felt his mind wouldn't be focused on the matter in hand.

It's a small, but subtle difference from an outright refusal to pull on the shirt.

To be fair, I'm not sure my boss would see it like that ... "I'm not refusing to come into work, but I'm going to stay at home anyway as I'm not really focused. P.S. Don't forget to pay my money into the usual account."

Warmth of reception is rarely due solely to impact as a player, it's much more about connection with the club and fans and, especially, the manner of leaving.  Not paying or messing around over contracts, no matter how distinguished a career, almost always ensures a fair bit of negativity.

Matty Hill & Albert good examples, as opposed to Maynard or Kodjia - though in the latter case it feels a bit more 'pantomime'  

Personally, always like to see a warm welcome, especially once the games done.

58 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You're not getting it.

Johnson: “The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

So Freeman has been left out for several games, during which he therefore quite naturally pursues the QPR option. Two weeks down the line, he is probably is close to agreeing terms.

At which point Johnson changes his stance and invites a player who, in his words, he could not risk playing, to travel to Burnley.

How is Freeman likely to have become more committed in the 3 weeks that Johnson did not play him because allegedly according to Johnson that he may not be committed?

I think that is appalling management and an appalling waste of a player who, when Johnson first dropped him, had not in any way indicated he would not play for us or was not committed while he remained a Bristol City player.

I get it fine - it might be poor man management even though i suspect that suits certain agendas etc, however in all these cases none of us know the true goings on at the club.

As said, hes lucky he can afford to turn down probably around 15k isn't it, the normal working man couldn't. 

Good luck to him, he seems to be playing better now @ QPR, so either the move back to Laandaan suits him better than Brizzle or Hollowhead is getting something more/different out of him at Championship level than both SC or LJ could.

Flint to gently tap his ankles 5mins in, welcome back to the Gate - he'll be quiet as a mouse!

And quite why anyone wants to applaud Hollowhead is beyond me.

More than this, let's get another 3pts and kick on. COYR! :city:

On 11/04/2017 at 22:02, BS4 on Tour... said:

Freeman deserves a superb reception, rapturous applause - the guy played a major part in the only City team to win a division since 1955 - how anyone can think he deserves anything but a good reception is way beyond me....

ANYONE who played in that season should get a fantastic applause regardless of them being on another team, heck I might even say if they are sorry enough to play for Rovers (certainly clap them initially!) ;)

On 11/04/2017 at 22:32, shelts said:

What a load of cobblers that is. He refused to play . The club and fans meant nothing to him . Unacceptable. 

We don't really know what happened behind the scenes, but whatever it was Luke Freeman was the reason I started watching City. I am now a City fan for life but I will be delighted to see him back at the Gate, albeit on the wrong side! No player should be criticized for putting what is a very short career first. Who wouldn't take a job nearer home and in a better position at 24 years old. Especially under this terrible management we keep hearing about. Good to see you Luke. COYR!!

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He often played central midfield. He just had a tendency to run out wide when he did.

I don't think you can tar LJ with Freeman's ineffectiveness - he looked awful under Cotts too, in the Championship. 

He was improving before he was sold, true, but he'd been in pretty bad form for almost a season and a half before that.

It amuses me that - after months of saying he's crap and should be off-loaded - Otibers are now hailing Freeman as a gem who we let slip through our fingers.

He'd also been on the subs bench too much and out for weeks with an ankle injury. How can you improve when you get sidelined all the time. Yes he took time to get used to playing in the toughest league of all...So did most of the others.

Just now, Meryl Goodrum said:

He'd also been on the subs bench too much and out for weeks with an ankle injury. How can you improve when you get sidelined all the time. Yes he took time to get used to playing in the toughest league of all...So did most of the others.

Absolutely. and people forget how young he was when he joined us. He's a talented guy and it's natural he will progress with time as he adapts to playing with and against better opponents.

I was sad to see him go.

2 hours ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

We don't really know what happened behind the scenes, but whatever it was Luke Freeman was the reason I started watching City. I am now a City fan for life but I will be delighted to see him back at the Gate, albeit on the wrong side! No player should be criticized for putting what is a very short career first. Who wouldn't take a job nearer home and in a better position at 24 years old. Especially under this terrible management we keep hearing about. Good to see you Luke. COYR!!

i agree we will never know , I'm just going on the facts presented by the club and who nose half the truth at any club including BCFC 

Archived