IGNORED

Freeman

Charlie BCFC

So the man apparently on fire comes back to Ashton Gate on Friday. What atmosphere do you think he'll get? Positive or negative? IMO if Kodjia got a bad reception from our fans then Freeman definitely needs a negative reception. I know that Matt Smith will have a positive reception and obviously for Holloway it will be negative but unsure on Freeman.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Freeman did nothing wrong. He was our best player in the promotion season but struggled massively after that. Will get a decent reception.

Exactly - he struggled at championship level for us and needed a move, he got stale just like some of us do at any workplace. No need for all the over analysation from people

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Freeman deserves a superb reception, rapturous applause - the guy played a major part in the only City team to win a division since 1955 - how anyone can think he deserves anything but a good reception is way beyond me....

Agree. All of that league one winning team will always get a good reception from me. 

I think we ultimately let Freeman go as we had too many players who could play a similar role - O'Dowda, Paterson and Tomlin. Plus QPR wanted him and he hadn't quite settled with us at the higher level. 

His performances in that central/free role in that promotion season were great and I will always remember him for that. 

36 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'd hope he gets a good reception, did nothing wrong here just was unfortunate to find himself being managed by LJ

What a load of cobblers that is. He refused to play . The club and fans meant nothing to him . Unacceptable. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Exactly - he struggled at championship level for us and needed a move, he got stale just like some of us do at any workplace. No need for all the over analysation from people

They don't want to let go of him. Pretty romantic.

freemans on fire, your defence is terrified'...

Just now, shelts said:

What a load of cobblers that is. He refused to play . The club and fans meant nothing to him . Unacceptable. 

When did he ever refuse to play? He just refused to extend his contract for another year because LJ wasn't giving him much game time and he was gaining interest from elsewhere which is fair enough

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Freeman deserves a superb reception, rapturous applause - the guy played a major part in the only City team to win a division since 1955 - how anyone can think he deserves anything but a good reception is way beyond me....

Refused to play. manual manipulator 

Just now, JBFC II said:

When did he ever refuse to play? He just refused to extend his contract for another year because LJ wasn't giving him much game time and he was gaining interest from elsewhere which is fair enough

Most of the time when fit LJ picked him much to my annoyance. He wanted to run his contract down and go for free and City wanted a fee. QPR wouldn't pay what they thought was too much and when asked to play Freeman told LJ no

I'm fairly sure he refused to play near the end. As for not a lot of game time, wasn't he a fairly regular starter under LJ? A lot of people are saying he did nothing wrong, with regarding not signing a new contract ( to which I agree ). & this is a genuine question, what did Maynard do that was so different? Apart from the Bristol accent quote!?

Just now, shelts said:

Most of the time when fit LJ picked him much to my annoyance. He wanted to run his contract down and go for free and City wanted a fee. QPR wouldn't pay what they thought was too much and when asked to play Freeman told LJ no

If you want to boo him then do, you'll be on your own though as most applaud one of the main parts of a team that gave us our must successful season for years

Just now, JBFC II said:

If you want to boo him then do, you'll be on your own though as most applaud one of the main parts of a team that gave us our must successful season for years

I wouldn't boo him. Seen far better ex players get stick. Not really bothered about when we was good, far too much nostalgia on here, great season though!!

9 minutes ago, shelts said:

I'm pretty sure LJ refused to play LF until he signed a contract.( his words) Our form then was getting worse and worse , maybe the odd injury, and he suddenly decided he needed him again. LF then maybe thought, **** you. That's how I saw it. Don't blame the guy at all. Got unfair stick in my book.

If you handle your affairs correctly and always show respect and dignity then no one can complain.

JET & Matt Smith, Bradley Orr another.

As much as I liked him and wanted him to stay he wouldn't sign a new contract pre season and had every intention of running it down when he didn't get his own way. 

Let's not forget skeletor's sideways swipe as well "if they really wanted him to stay then they should've offered him a new contract in the summer" making it out we didn't want him and he was surplus.

The final nail was refusing to play.

Polite applause out of resprct for what he achieved with us but when the game kicks off if Freeman's on fire I won't cross the road to pi55 on him and he'll get it just as much as his odious manager from me . . . And before you all say it, I'm not bitter I just want my team to win

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

So the man apparently on fire comes back to Ashton Gate on Friday. What atmosphere do you think he'll get? Positive or negative? IMO if Kodjia got a bad reception from our fans then Freeman definitely needs a negative reception. I know that Matt Smith will have a positive reception and obviously for Holloway it will be negative but unsure on Freeman.

Disagree about skeletor. Hes like a hero to some on here who wont hear a bad word said about him - morons.

46 minutes ago, Swede said:

If you handle your affairs correctly and always show respect and dignity then no one can complain.

JET & Matt Smith, Bradley Orr another.

As much as I liked him and wanted him to stay he wouldn't sign a new contract pre season and had every intention of running it down when he didn't get his own way. 

Let's not forget skeletor's sideways swipe as well "if they really wanted him to stay then they should've offered him a new contract in the summer" making it out we didn't want him and he was surplus.

The final nail was refusing to play.

Polite applause out of resprct for what he achieved with us but when the game kicks off if Freeman's on fire I won't cross the road to pi55 on him and he'll get it just as much as his odious manager from me . . . And before you all say it, I'm not bitter I just want my team to win

We treated him like crap, good on him for standing up for himself. We should have offered him a contract in the summer, but we were being cheap and wanted to see if we could get by without him. Then LJ finally offers him a contract and refuses to play him until he signs - but ohhh injuries, some bad results,  actually we need you to play Freeman, so let's put all this behind us eh ?  You treat people like shit then don't expect them to do you any favours.

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

He got a ridiculous level of criticism here, now he's moved and - as expected -  is doing absolutely fine at this level, which many said he couldn't handle.

If he had problems here, it wasn't because of a lack of ability.

I think we shouldn't be surprised that's he's performing better way from here considering who his manager was. 

In the same way we shouldn't slate current players under th current manager. We need to see what they're really like before we judge them.

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I'm fairly sure he refused to play near the end. As for not a lot of game time, wasn't he a fairly regular starter under LJ? A lot of people are saying he did nothing wrong, with regarding not signing a new contract ( to which I agree ). & this is a genuine question, what did Maynard do that was so different? Apart from the Bristol accent quote!?

Freeman didn't refuse to play, Johnson refused to play him until he signed a contract. And publicly said it.

The term 'hanging someone out to dry' comes to mind.

Archived