IGNORED

Email from the club re non-renewal of season card

RedLionLad

38 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Can you explain on what basis you state LJ is an excellent up and coming head coach ? He is young yes and a head coach. What is it you see or know about LJ that convinces you of this opinion. 

Well he seemed to be able to select and borrow the players necessary to save us from relegation last season.  This season he took on a huge number of new players and that was always going to be very difficult to manage - I believe I posted something about this on the forum last summer.  He started well but did get into a bit of a muddle in mid season, but recruited some interesting players in the last window.  There have been one or two errors and let downs - particularly in the right back position but I think he has also been unlucky with some dreadful refereeing decisions that have gone against us as evidenced by the large number of letters of apology from the referees association - I cannot recall so many awful decisions that have cost us points.

The story in the Evil Post yesterday highlighting improvements shows that he is making a difference and that there has been measurable progress in recent months and this supports what I have been thinking.  I am also minded to believe what SL says - and if he sees him on a regular basis and trusts him, then I believe that that should be good enough for a humble fan like me.  I do not take poor runs of results as personal insults and I fully support SL in his drive to get his project working and I continue to feel optimistic.  The only blot on the copy book that I can see is in the pie department - those lovely chicken, leek and ham pies have not appeared for many months and I miss them dreadfully.  I take this personally and have questioned if I will renew again if they don't reappear.  As always, I will give the club time to improve because I have already renewed for next season COYR!

36 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It is always easy to say you should accept without question any situation and support the team. Because by inference , it suggests you are not a true supporter, and therefore somehow inferior. It's the easiest shot, just like using the word fickle. I have yet to see or hear any game this year where at a match the team has been supported, so your comments carry no gravitas. What you do seem to always suggest however is that despite some quite compelling evidence, neither SL or LJ should not be accountable for any action or comment they make. That is the behaviour of an apparatchik which is rather a concern, as is SL using BCFC fans to trial his own Milgram experiment . (People blindly follow questionable orders from superiors, in case you have not heard of it) of which you are the prime guinea pig and are evidently confirming the theory. 

Ah - so the only true fans are those who do not support the owner, head coach or their project and have severe doubts about many of the team members. Right.....no wrong. We just weigh the evidence differently. I get concerned but would never withdraw my support over a temporary feature like a manager.  FWIW I think that SL has wrought huge benefits in the club and is dedicated to achieve the very things that most fans want to see. There will always be those who resent his wealth and influence - most of those will be those with a disgruntled employee type attitude that somehow transfers to their football supporting. I think about the games and the football more than the owner, who is trying hard to make a difference. Agree or not with his decisions, I don't believe anyone can claim that his heart is not in the right place. 

20 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ah - so the only true fans are those who do not support the owner, head coach or their project and have severe doubts about many of the team members. Right.....no wrong. We just weigh the evidence differently. I get concerned but would never withdraw my support over a temporary feature like a manager.  FWIW I think that SL has wrought huge benefits in the club and is dedicated to achieve the very things that most fans want to see. There will always be those who resent his wealth and influence - most of those will be those with a disgruntled employee type attitude that somehow transfers to their football supporting. I think about the games and the football more than the owner, who is trying hard to make a difference. Agree or not with his decisions, I don't believe anyone can claim that his heart is not in the right place. 

He didn't say that, did he? Unlike you to go off on a tangent though. Why can't you just accept that there are TRUE fans (however you want to define that) who do have severe concerns in regard to the owner, head coach and their failing project? I mean it's not like the evidence isn't all here before your eyes.

As usual all you can do is resort to making insulting generalisations about anyone who dare question anything to do with the club. No-one resents his wealth, his influence over the club - yes, of course that is cause for concern when there is a negative environment in and around the club.

If you think about the games and the football more than the owner, fine. Expect that's the same for most of our fans truth be told. But maybe you could just let those of us who want to discuss his record at the club get on with it and you can go and give us your insight on on-field matters.

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well he seemed to be able to select and borrow the players necessary to save us from relegation last season. 

The story in the Evil Post yesterday highlighting improvements shows that he is making a difference and that there has been measurable progress in recent months

Compare that nonsense to hard facts! 

20170413_124708.png

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Therin lies the issue. He promised the fans, via a filmed interview, the days of his heart ruling his head in football were long gone. He has reverted to type, and needs to find someone better placed to run the football club as a football club, and create a structure and management team that is in keeping with both his financial investment and the the stadium that now exists. A structure that is best in class with the highest quality staff that can be found. That is not the case, and is at the core of the majority of supporters malcontent. You cannot employ LJ, Holden and Jamie Mac and tell the fans you are building something special. It is evidently BS , and is made worse by the inference that SL and MA have a special plan that the rest of us are too stupid to understand. It is one of the most startling cases of "The KIng's clothes " . Sadly, SL is in "the altogether" .

He needs to eat some pride, and go out and bring in high quality football people, that have had the correct experience , training and preparation, to make Bristol city a serious footballing prospect.  That I believe is all that the disobedient fans want. To be able to buy into the plan because it has substance, logic, transparency and above all credibility. Currently all of that is missing. 

I do not feel anyone is being less of a fan or supporter for wanting those basics. 

Fantastic post. Eloquent and bang on. :clap:

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

He didn't say that, did he? Unlike you to go off on a tangent though. Why can't you just accept that there are TRUE fans (however you want to define that) who do have severe concerns in regard to the owner, head coach and their failing project? I mean it's not like the evidence isn't all here before your eyes.

As usual all you can do is resort to making insulting generalisations about anyone who dare question anything to do with the club. No-one resents his wealth, his influence over the club - yes, of course that is cause for concern when there is a negative environment in and around the club.

If you think about the games and the football more than the owner, fine. Expect that's the same for most of our fans truth be told. But maybe you could just let those of us who want to discuss his record at the club get on with it and you can go and give us your insight on on-field matters.

As you might imagine, I have lots of discussions with various fans over the years and recently about LJ.  Some are concerned but many can see that there has been progress and I have yet to find anyone who has and reason to criticise SL.  I was a bit miffed when the sacked SC but I remain happy to trust SL and his staff.  If you look at most clubs, they mostly seem to have problems with managers - it really must be one of the most difficult jobs imaginable. I was disappointed when SOD imploded after the wonderful work he had done at Doncaster - but this is a funny old game and I just want to support my team and enjoy the football.  I don't think that there is much of a negative feeling around the club - but there are negative feelings among a minority of fans - some of which I would have predicted anyway! There are always those who look at their "half empty" glasses and as long as they finish their beer I guess all is well. When some people look at their half empty glass and then chuck the rest of the beer aways and claim that they will never drink beer again until it stops going flat - then that is when I disagree and question their status as beer drinkers.  Its not a big deal - because many who leave will come back at some stage - some will get out of the habit.  They will eventually be replaced by new fans anyway because not many of us will still be watching in 70 years time. You guys enjoy your owner and manager watching and I will watch the footy!

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Compare that nonsense to hard facts! 

20170413_124708.png

The season is not over yet - and next season may not be at all like this one. To all those who are not going to go to games whilst LJ is still the head coach, well you don't have to worry because you will not be there!

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Therin lies the issue. He promised the fans, via a filmed interview, the days of his heart ruling his head in football were long gone. He has reverted to type, and needs to find someone better placed to run the football club as a football club, and create a structure and management team that is in keeping with both his financial investment and the the stadium that now exists. A structure that is best in class with the highest quality staff that can be found. That is not the case, and is at the core of the majority of supporters malcontent. You cannot employ LJ, Holden and Jamie Mac and tell the fans you are building something special. It is evidently BS , and is made worse by the inference that SL and MA have a special plan that the rest of us are too stupid to understand. It is one of the most startling cases of "The KIng's clothes " . Sadly, SL is in "the altogether" .

He needs to eat some pride, and go out and bring in high quality football people, that have had the correct experience , training and preparation, to make Bristol city a serious footballing prospect.  That I believe is all that the disobedient fans want. To be able to buy into the plan because it has substance, logic, transparency and above all credibility. Currently all of that is missing. 

I do not feel anyone is being less of a fan or supporter for wanting those basics. 

You state opinions as facts when we really don't know how this will all pan out.  SL has paid more than £100m into the club and has a right to back his own judgement.  Nothing is sure or certain - but he is doing his best and I believe that he may well be on the right track. The only other way to compete with the parachute payment clubs is to wave the checkbook and that can also mean that you end up buying expensive duds that cannot be shifted. As Steve said, we have done that and we are now trying a different plan - but it WILL take time!

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am not actually sure what you are referring to because I did not say that. You have, without context, taken off at a tangent. 

You can be a supporter if you agree or disagree with the club , owner, or coach. I cannot understand why you wold suggest otherwise. You were the one suggesting that you cannot be a fan if you have an opinion different to that group, not me.

I am not sure who resents his wealth or influence. Personally I have plenty of money for my needs thank you but have never found money, or lack of a reason to resent anyone. It tends to be more tangible things like honesty , empathy and transparency that form my opinion.

SL has built a stadium, that is the one lasting benefit he has provided yes.

From a football perspective he has had the same success as Davidson, Russe et al. I rather think that is the business end of this whole football thing, and in that area I cannot see any evidence of the huge benefits you describe. Perhaps you could elaborate.  

You will have to excuse me - but although I read many of the posts on the forum, I do not remember many individual posters because many just blur into one over time.  There is nothing wrong with debate, questioning, criticism or much else amings supporters - it is a game of opinions as some have said. I find it extreme that because some have a beef with a manager (one of the most temporary positions in most clubs) they then criticise the owner for trying to find a more cost effective way of building a sustainable football club and then (usually without expressing better ideas) say they are not going to watch until the manager is changed.  I can think of many worse managers than LJ - I absolutely hated the Pulis era - but I kept on watching the unfolding story of our club. Sorry, but I just happen to have very different opinions than many on here on this subject. I will continue watching as long as I am able - it is a huge part of my life and pleasure. Pulis has gone on to be a success - so what do I know? I will just enjoy watching!

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Spot on. The overwhelming majority of season tickets are sold within the first sales period. To have only sold just over two thirds of last season's figure in this period must be of huge concern to bean counter Billingham.

We'll be lucky if we sell another 2-2,500 in my opinion. That's a pretty big show of no confidence in 'the project'.

Bristol Sport's remit was to build and increase our support in the redeveloped AG and ultimately fill the stadium, they are failing. But then are they really to blame or is the man at the top?

Yep, we are never going to sell more then this season.

This season has been worse and we are virtually guaranteed the same clueless manager.

How anyone can be enthused about forking out to watch LJs clueless tactics and game plan unfold week in week out is beyond me.

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The season is not over yet - and next season may not be at all like this one. To all those who are not going to go to games whilst LJ is still the head coach, well you don't have to worry because you will not be there!

True - those that are staying away will have to live with the mess he has left behind when he goes

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

True - those that are staying away will have to live with the mess he has left behind when he goes

There will be a legacy of good young players. It was always going to be difficult to settle all those signings into the club and next season will be a better test for some like Engvall, COD and Taylor Moore. I don't think we need more than 4 or 5 players, with two or three going out, to make us much stronger for next season - and the head coach will be a bit wiser and a bit longer in the tooth!

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

There will be a legacy of good young players. It was always going to be difficult to settle all those signings into the club and next season will be a better test for some like Engvall, COD and Taylor Moore. I don't think we need more than 4 or 5 players, with two or three going out, to make us much stronger for next season - and the head coach will be a bit wiser and a bit longer in the tooth!

What evidence is there that the coach will be wiser?

I  think he needs a full management reboot or just the boot!!

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Evidence is usually available after the event - lets hope he does well for us!

Well he certainly didn't learn from his experience in charge at Barnsley, and he appears to have learned little during this season.  He needs some older head to put him in the right place before the start of the next season. That is good management practice for a young new aspiring manager.  It is something SL should take responsibility for because, as SL himself, said The Board merely has an opinion the decisions lie with him.  And that is where I begin to lose confidence

By the way by older wiser head I do NOT mead Dad!

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Well he certainly didn't learn from his experience in charge at Barnsley, and he appears to have learned little during this season.  He needs some older head to put him in the right place before the start of the next season. That is good management practice for a young new aspiring manager.  It is something SL should take responsibility for because, as SL himself, said The Board merely has an opinion the decisions lie with him.  And that is where I begin to lose confidence

By the way by older wiser head I do NOT mead Dad!

I'm sure he will do fine with the wide contacts that he has in the industry - and his dad is not a duffer. SL has 20years of football experience and has been involved in all sorts of crisis management over that time.  I believe that they can make a fist of it! Like all true fans I feel sure that you will be wishing them well because we all want the same thing. I remember when I was first let loose in management as the youngest person in the team who had broken all the records for new business - and I was very successful with enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge. Lee is a lot older and more experienced at this stage of his career that I was in those far off days - never underestimate the ability and drive of younger people! COYR (or enthusiastic old farts either!!)

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I'm sure he will do fine with the wide contacts that he has in the industry - and his dad is not a duffer. SL has 20years of football experience and has been involved in all sorts of crisis management over that time.  I believe that they can make a fist of it! Like all true fans I feel sure that you will be wishing them well because we all want the same thing. I remember when I was first let loose in management as the youngest person in the team who had broken all the records for new business - and I was very successful with enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge. Lee is a lot older and more experienced at this stage of his career that I was in those far off days - never underestimate the ability and drive of younger people! COYR (or enthusiastic old farts either!!)

Yes let's hope he has learnt from his mistakes.  I hope to goodness he has or else next season could be a repeat of this

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Yes let's hope he has learnt from his mistakes.  I hope to goodness he has or else next season could be a repeat of this

Lets hope we all learn from our mistakes - lets be honest, we all make them. The biggest mistake made at Ashton Gate is the failure to stock those orgasmic chicken, leek and ham pies!!  I really hope that they have learned from this and start to sell them again! COYP!

On 4/12/2017 at 13:12, RedLionLad said:

Mate of mine has had an email today asking why he hasn't renewed his season ticket. Has anyone else who hasn't renewed received one?

......and is this some indication that renewals are lower than expected?

Not had one as yet.

Still undecided on whether to renew.

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Evidence is usually available after the event - lets hope he does well for us!

Hopefully, if we scrape survival in The Championship, after all of the signings made at such expense, he will learn and do well for us.

But I'm not sure he will as he doesn't appear to have learnt much so far this season.

The fans in the stand generally seem to have more common sense.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:46, semblar said:

For me, it's not 9k vs. 13800 that would give a good indication - it is 9k vs. the number we had on april 12th last year

April 29th not 12th but here's the best I could find... http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/the-best-price-guaranteed-for-201617-season-cards-3084228.aspx

9000, now vs 13000, 29th April last year

Forgive me if this has been referred to before but, one of the things that makes me a little angry, is the purchase date being earlier each year. I don't know when this started but I swear we used to have until about the end of June to renew existing season tickets/seats. It's probably clever accounting by adding extra income to the financial year with the addition of an extra week in each financial year. Obviously this can only work for so long, perhaps until turnover has increased (linked to success) and they can move it back to original dates, then make a bigger loss in that year.

22 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I don't recall SL trying to change our colours and the name of the club. I really think that some of you chaps are over reacting and should concentrate on supporting the team rather than speculating about the owners motivations and engaging in the wholesale manufacturing of myth and nonsense on the subject.

I'm not comparing SL with Tan. I'm suggesting your "support the team/club whatever happens to it and by whom" attitude would be welcomed by Tan. 

Archived