IGNORED

just a reminder Wigan home to Barnsley Thursday night

6 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Just a reminder how poor Barnsley are at the mo. Great home game for us to have left in view of our record against them at the gate. Wigan need the win but it'll finish 2-2.

You are right that its a good time to play us. Bad recent record, lack of quality where it matters and seemingly on the beach. If you can beat us at the moment then you never will.

Put it this way, I won't be travelling down I am afraid, although I do enjoy trips to AG. Long way to go this time for a match that means little to us, that we are likely to lose.

Just now, redsfan said:

You are right that its a good time to play us. Bad recent record, lack of quality where it matters and seemingly on the beach. If you can beat us at the moment then you never will.

Put it this way, I won't be travelling down I am afraid, although I do enjoy trips to AG. Long way to go this time for a match that means little to us, that we are likely to lose.

You boys are going to have to invest some serious money to be anywhere near where you are this season.

If you had kept your squad intact and maybe including matty james you would be 3rd/4th Imo.

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

You boys are going to have to invest some serious money to be anywhere near where you are this season.

If you had kept your squad intact and maybe including matty james you would be 3rd/4th Imo.

Seriously worried about next season. We could be next years Rotherham.

I get why the club had little choice in the matter in terms of letting Hourihane and Winnall go. Both were out of contract in the summer, both had stated that they would be leaving and they both got offers in January that tripled their salary (in Hourihane's case, quadrupled it). Plus Winnall was a proper mardy bastard and was becoming a bad influence on team morale. We were looking safe at that point already and we got good money for players with only 24 weeks left on their contract.

We are selling ourselves as a club that players can develop at and then progress and we have done it well but we would do ourself no favours by digging our heels in when players get an offer to multiply their income x 4. However it killed our season and lot of fans are disgruntled that we showed so little ambiton to go for it when we were on the fringes of the play offs at the time. Its a difficult one.

We have plenty of cash in the bank now but its a big summer ahead. Can we use it wisely to push on to the next level? Do we get it wrong and blow it all. Or do we sit on the cash and use it as a safety net for the next few years and accept our fate as also rans? Experience suggests it will be option 3.

Just now, redsfan said:

I get why the club had little choice in the matter in terms of letting Hourihane and Winnall go. Both were out of contract in the summer, both had stated that they would be leaving and they both got offers in January that tripled their salary (in Hourihane's case, quadrupled it). Plus Winnall was a proper mardy bastard and was becoming a bad influence on team morale. We were looking safe at that point already and we got good money for players with only 24 weeks left on their contract.

We are selling ourselves as a club that players can develop at and then progress and we have done it well but we would do ourself no favours by digging our heels in when players get an offer to multiply their income x 4. However it killed our season and lot of fans are disgruntled that we showed so little ambiton to go for it when we were on the fringes of the play offs at the time. Its a difficult one.

We have plenty of cash in the bank now but its a big summer ahead. Can we use it wisely to push on to the next level? Do we get it wrong and blow it all. Or do we sit on the cash and use it as a safety net for the next few years and accept our fate as also rans? Experience suggests it will be option 3.

Best to have a realistic view mate - just be glad you did enough before January to not have to be looking over your shoulders now. Whatever happens in the rest of the season you`ve punched well above your weight so take some heart from that.

49 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Bye Wigan.

36 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Just a reminder how poor Barnsley are at the mo. Great home game for us to have left in view of our record against them at the gate. Wigan need the win but it'll finish 2-2.

You haven't got the winning Lotto numbers as well have you? ;)

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Best to have a realistic view mate - just be glad you did enough before January to not have to be looking over your shoulders now. Whatever happens in the rest of the season you`ve punched well above your weight so take some heart from that.

I haven't supported Barnsley for 40 years without being realistic :)

Its been a fantastic year or so. To think that in December 15 we were bottom of League 1 (can't think who the manager was at the time). Thats only 17 months ago. We have come a long way. Its actually a bit boring now being marooned in mid table. It doesn't often happen. We are usually where you guys are at the moment, with something to play for till the end. I suppose I should enjoy it because next season could be back to normal

8 minutes ago, redsfan said:

Its a hard league to compete in unless you are getting big crowds in. The parachute payments are hindering the opportunities for clubs like ours to get promoted.

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its a hard league to compete in unless you are getting big crowds in. The parachute payments are hindering the opportunities for clubs like ours to get promoted.

You're not wrong. 

When we beat Villa in February I saw a quote at the time, I think it was from BetFred, that said that Villa have spent more this season than we have in our history. I find that incredible. What chance do we have? And its only getting worse.

9 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Wigan have Brighton away on Monday. Should hopefully kill them off.

Followed by Cardiff, Reading and Leeds. If they lose at Brighton, they will need to win all of those to get to 49 points, which we may well need more than anyway. 

Rather they lost tonight, but still a dead man walking.

Just now, cityexile said:

Followed by Cardiff, Reading and Leeds. If they lose at Brighton, they will need to win all of those to get to 49 points, which we may well need more than anyway. 

Prather they lost tonight, but still a dead man walking.

Wigan do have a history of rising from the dead. Wouldn't count them out yet! 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Never a penalty, not even any kind of challenge, but your keeper has lost you this game 

Can't argue with the fact that Davies has had a mare. But that penalty decision was beyond incompetent. Its so frustrating when a result can turn on decisions like that. If that was a penalty there would be 10 every game. 

Something needs to be done to address the ability of refs to turn a result on the basis of such awful decisions. Imagine if Wigan now stay up by a point at the expense of BCFC....

8 hours ago, redsfan said:

Can't argue with the fact that Davies has had a mare. But that penalty decision was beyond incompetent. Its so frustrating when a result can turn on decisions like that. If that was a penalty there would be 10 every game. 

Something needs to be done to address the ability of refs to turn a result on the basis of such awful decisions. Imagine if Wigan now stay up by a point at the expense of BCFC....

That was my exact first thought, sooner or later one of these terrible decisions is going to have severe implications for a club. 

Fair play to Wigan who are certainly showing some fight with back to back 3-2 wins beating Rotherham in the 97th minute and coming from 2 down with a hat trick in 11 minutes last night shows some spirit. 

Think they still have too much to do and a tough run in.....but you never know and if they do go down it will be with a fight.

1 hour ago, AshtonG666 said:

That was an inspired sub by the manager to bring on Powell and then he scores a hat-trick 

It's amazing being able to bring on a substitute that's on over £20'000 a week when you're in the bottom three of the second division, just shows you what football as become. 

8 hours ago, Rascal said:

It's amazing being able to bring on a substitute that's on over £20'000 a week when you're in the bottom three of the second division, just shows you what football as become. 

Just seen the goals from last night's game on C5.  I would be genuinely surprised if money hadn't changed hands after seeing the way the Barnsley keeper let the first two Wigan goals in. The penalty was more convincing but something very fishy about the way that the mid-table Tykes let that slip.

Archived