IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Queens Park Rangers Match Day Thread

Good day everyone,

I have written extensive pieces on our matches with QPR on previous encounters. Today's match will continue the laborious countdown to the end of this mundane of seasons like no other in memory. Added interest of course will be had by the sight of an ex Bristol Rovers player managing the Hoops for his second spell (?). I wonder if he will be savvy enough to wear black shoes so as not to clash with the chuckle brothers Ashton & Johnson.

I remember the season we battled with QPR for supremacy in League 1 or was it League 2 then well anyway lets just say the third tier where we usually reside and back in 2003/4. Does anyone care to remember? Holloway took QPR down to the third tier only because he came in too late to save them; Gerry Francis left a sinking ship. Three seasons in Tier 3 and QPR are banging on the door to head back to the Tier 2. Like all teams bombing away at the top a wobbly spell usually comes along when one least expects it leaving a door ajar for someone to nip in front which is exactly what happened; Rangers lost just seven out of 46 games that year, and remained unbeaten at home through 23 matches which included 16 victories. But as the season wore on they lost Clarke Carlisle to personal problems, Danny Shittu to a ruptured cruciate ligament and Chris Day to an unfortunate incident where physio Prav Mathema and Day tried to do a DIY job on a boil on his shin. Plymouth took advantage, beating Rangers 2-0 at Home Park with two games left to play and sealing the league title.

And that left QPR looking over their shoulder to the team in third place which happened to be us. City had strung an extraordinary 11 consecutive wins through January and February to surge into contention. Unfortunately Brian Tinnion chose that moment to give an ill-advised interview saying City had Plymouth and QPR running scared and could have the title “all over bar the shouting” before Easter. They promptly lost five and drew one of the next seven, and Tinnion's words have gone down in modern day QPR folklore. 

In spite of that gaff the two teams remained locked together going into the penultimate weekend, Rangers went first winning a close 1-0 game against fellow promotion hopefuls Swindon Town at Loftus Road thanks to an early goal from Player of the Year Martin Rowlands. City played at Barnsley a day later but kept the fight alive with a 1-0 win of their own with a goal by Tony Rougier.

And so it all came down to the very final day of the season. QPR were away at Sheffield Wednesday apparently with 7,000 of their faithful massed in the Leppings Lane End of the ground; City were at home to Blackpool, who had nothing to play for and were as good as a gimme. Christian Roberts put City in command with 2 quick goals mid way through the first half and news of this was given out at Hillsborough to huge cheering from the Owls faithful. That seemed to spur QPR and they were soon ahead with Kevin Gallen slotting home past Kevin Pressman between the sticks for Wednesday. And early in the second half Paul Furlong put QPR further ahead. Wednesday did pull one back but an own goal restored the 2 goal margin and with that QPR pipped City to automatic promotion leaving us to fend in the play offs which, as we all know, culminated in defeat in Cardiff to Brighton, with no Leroy Lita even on the bench and Danny Wilson out of a job a few days later.

We have not beaten QPR in 6 encounters in more recent times so its about time we did. I hope you all give fellow Bristolian a nice warm reception today folks!

UTC

BTW, these were the final league positions that 2003/4 season.. I remember it very well as I am sure most of you do.

One of the matches during that poor run was an away defeat to Stockport County who, at one time, looked nailed on for the drop yet they showed dogged determination and somehow City failed to get anything from their trip to Edgeley Park going down 2-0. That result, directly, kept them and us in the division for another season. The following season we finished outside the play offs and Stockport went down 25 points away from safety. We beat them home and away that season but the dreadful defeat up in Stockport was our first defeat to them since 1915 and only our third ever defeat against them. What a time to get it. That match, more than any other, derailed our surge to the second tier and ultimately kept us down for 3 more agonising seasons; we finished 7th the following season under Tinnion, the man who made that gaff the season earlier, then 9th mainly under Johnson Senior and then, we finally went up with him in 2006/7 finishing runners up to Scunthorpe of all teams.

Pos Team Pld   W D L F A   W D L F A   F A GD   Pts Notes
1 Plymouth Argyle 46   17 5 1 52 13   9 7 7 33 28   85 41 +44   90  
2 Queens Park Rangers 46   16 7 0 47 12   6 10 7 33 33   80 45 +35   83  
3 Bristol City 46   15 6 2 34 12   8 7 8 24 25   58 37 +21   82  
4 Brighton & Hove Albion 46   17 4 2 39 11   5 7 11 25 32   64 43 +21   77  
5 Swindon Town 46   12 7 4 41 23   8 6 9 35 35   76 58 +18   73  
6 Hartlepool United 46   10 8 5 39 24   10 5 8 37 37   76 61 +15   73
Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 7
21 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

I have written extensive pieces on our matches with QPR on previous encounters. Today's match will continue the laborious countdown to the end of this mundane of seasons like no other in memory. Added interest of course will be had by the sight of an ex Bristol Rovers player managing the Hoops for his second spell (?). I wonder if he will be savvy enough to wear black shoes so as not to clash with the chuckle brothers Ashton & Johnson.

I remember the season we battled with QPR for supremacy in League 1 or was it League 2 then well anyway lets just say the third tier where we usually reside and back in 2003/4. Does anyone care to remember? Holloway took QPR down to the third tier only because he came in too late to save them; Gerry Francis left a sinking ship. Three seasons in Tier 3 and QPR are banging on the door to head back to the Tier 2. Like all teams bombing away at the top a wobbly spell usually comes along when one least expects it leaving a door ajar for someone to nip in front which is exactly what happened; Rangers lost just seven out of 46 games that year, and remained unbeaten at home through 23 matches which included 16 victories. But as the season wore on they lost Clarke Carlisle to personal problems, Danny Shittu to a ruptured cruciate ligament and Chris Day to an unfortunate incident where physio Prav Mathema and Day tried to do a DIY job on a boil on his shin. Plymouth took advantage, beating Rangers 2-0 at Home Park with two games left to play and sealing the league title.

And that left QPR looking over their shoulder to the team in third place which happened to be us. City had strung an extraordinary 11 consecutive wins through January and February to surge into contention. Unfortunately Brian Tinnion chose that moment to give an ill-advised interview saying City had Plymouth and QPR running scared and could have the title “all over bar the shouting” before Easter. They promptly lost five and drew one of the next seven, and Tinnion's words have gone down in modern day QPR folklore. 

In spite of that gaff the two teams remained locked together going into the penultimate weekend, Rangers went first winning a close 1-0 game against fellow promotion hopefuls Swindon Town at Loftus Road thanks to an early goal from Player of the Year Martin Rowlands. City played at Barnsley a day later but kept the fight alive with a 1-0 win of their own with a goal by Tony Rougier.

And so it all came down to the very final day of the season. QPR were away at Sheffield Wednesday apparently with 7,000 of their faithful massed in the Leppings Lane End of the ground; City were at home to Blackpool, who had nothing to play for and were as good as a gimme. Christian Roberts put City in command with 2 quick goals mid way through the first half and news of this was given out at Hillsborough to huge cheering from the Owls faithful. That seemed to spur QPR and they were soon ahead with Kevin Gallen slotting home past Kevin Pressman between the sticks for Wednesday. And early in the second half Paul Furlong put QPR further ahead. Wednesday did pull one back but an own goal restored the 2 goal margin and with that QPR pipped City to automatic promotion leaving us to fend in the play offs which, as we all know, culminated in defeat in Cardiff to Brighton, with no Leroy Lita even on the bench and Danny Wilson out of a job a few days later.

We have not beaten QPR in 6 encounters in more recent times so its about time we did. I hope you all give fellow Bristolian a nice warm reception today folks!

UTC

BTW, these were the final league positions that 2003/4 season.. I remember it very well as I am sure most of you do.

Chuckle brothers-made me laugh!..

This one has 'draw' written all over it.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Added interest of course will be had by the sight of an ex Bristol Rovers player managing the Hoops for his second spell (?). I wonder if he will be savvy enough to wear black shoes so as not to clash with the chuckle brothers Ashton & Johnson.

"To me, to you, to me, to you... oh dear oh dear oh dear..."

Morning Hav and all. Feeling a 2-2 draw today. Though I have a tiny niggle, it'll end 3-2 to QPR and Skeletor will be unbearable...

Think Matty will score today too. 

Team selection will be interesting, although I am sure the Manager is thinking, like me, win our home games and we are safe, he couldn't be blamed for having one eye on the Blackburn game which could be the one to guarantee our safety. Alternatively he could be thinking a win today and a defeat for Blackburn would be a big psychological advantage anyway.

Even with the bigger squads these days, it's probably just as well we don't play 3 games over the Easter anymore. :)  

• Like 1

Hoping for a win today unfortunately I'm stuck in Southmead Hospital so my season card has a temporary owner today. Not used to listening to home games any one know what frequency it will be on.? 

PS not searching for sympathy just one of those things. COYR.

17 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Hoping for a win today unfortunately I'm stuck in Southmead Hospital so my season card has a temporary owner today. Not used to listening to home games any one know what frequency it will be on.? 

Usually on med wave and DAB for the City and Rv's home games, I believe. hope you have a quick recovery, ATB

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed

Leaving now. Did not expect to win two the last two games at home, so no real reason we can not repeat it today, but on the basis this season has been one step forward, one step back, going to say 2-2. Hoping for the best, and keeping my ear open for scores at Forest. Only real consistent over our last four games has been the team scoring first has won pretty easily, so here is hoping it is us today.

Do we ever have a boring season?

Edited by cityexile
21 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Get well soon fella..

Just ask a porter-they always seem to know the latest scores!

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Chuckle brothers-made me laugh!..

This one has 'draw' written all over it.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

"To me, to you, to me, to you... oh dear oh dear oh dear..."

Morning Hav and all. Feeling a 2-2 draw today. Though I have a tiny niggle, it'll end 3-2 to QPR and Skeletor will be unbearable...

Think Matty will score today too. 

Here are the Chuckle Brothers in the changing room, about to give a motivational team talk before the Preston match  

image.jpeg

• Like 1
Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Get well soon fella..

Just ask a porter-they always seem to know the latest scores!

23 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Just thought, it made be on Hospital radio, if they still have such a service these days.

Hoping for another good win, by at least two goals, if the same team turns up, as against Wolves then that may be the case, however this is City we are talking about, so who knows.  Anyway, if Blackburn's result goes the way we want it to, then if we win we can pull further away and Monday's game won't be so crucial.   COYR's

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed
33 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

I'm guessing the psychiatric ward if you're a city fan 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

UTC

One of the matches during that poor run was an away defeat to Stockport County who, at one time, looked nailed on for the drop yet they showed dogged determination and somehow City failed to get anything from their trip to Edgeley Park going down 2-0. That result, directly, kept them and us in the division for another season. The following season we finished outside the play offs and Stockport went down 25 points away from safety. We beat them home and away that season but the dreadful defeat up in Stockport was our first defeat to them since 1915 and only our third ever defeat against them. What a time to get it. That match, more than any other, derailed our surge to the second tier and ultimately kept us down for 3 more agonising seasons; we finished 7th the following season under Tinnion, the man who made that gaff the season earlier, then 9th mainly under Johnson Senior and then, we finally went up with him in 2006/7 finishing runners up to Scunthorpe of all teams.

Condensed Version

QPR

Hollowhead vs Chuckle Brothers as we head towards the end of a shite season

1-1

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Be following the game from Rhodes, just off to get a set of worry beads, perhaps I should get a job lot, reckon they'd sell like hot cakes in the City shop. COYR 

Now you've given me a marketing idea ; 

free worry beads with every gallon of Isewater's Squeaky Bum Oil . 

That could work .

I will be working this afternoon so Sing up me babbers , let's bring this uncertainty to an end . 

City to win .

3-1 

Cheer up Holloway.

Forest to beat Blackburn .

and still more cider in the jar .

:clapping:

• Like 1
Just now, Major Isewater said:

That could work .

I will be working this afternoon so Sing up me babbers , let's bring this uncertainty to an end . 

City to win .

3-1 

Cheer up Holloway.

Good day Major

Excellent combination, how many of these do you want? I think they carry a lifetime guarantee. 

IMG_0909.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NYTRAM said:

It'll probably be on bloody DAB :( You could get it on your mobile if the EFL weren't such money-grubbing bar stewards.

Edited by Aizoon
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That could work .

City to win .

3-1 

Cheer up Holloway.

And I thought you were retired and lived in a war veterans retirement home

• Like 1

My prediction, Freeman to miss a pen for QPR in the first 5 mins, then hack down Tammy in shear petulance immediately after for a straight red.  Holloway, incensed, invades the pitch to challenge the ref, gets held back by his own players, but the ref sends him to the stands.  On his way he finds a horse and punches it clean in the head, the horse is shaken but not stirred, but the police get their batons out and take Holloway down to China town, Holloways face burned on the AstroTurf surrounding the pitch, they arrest him and cart him down the touchline in handcuffs, Holloway is literally foaming at the mouth whilst struggling to get free, all the while getting pelters from the crowd.  We then go on to win 5-0, Taylor hat trick and Tammy with 2, Holloway listens on the police car radio on his way to the nick, a tear in his eye, with flashbacks of happier times circa 1990 flashing before him, where has it all gone he thinks.

After the game LJ and Lansdown visit Holloway down the nick and using their influence, ensure Holloway is put in solitary with only dirty water and grubs to eat, Holloway cries and begs forgiveness, Lansdown puts his hand on Holloways head like the Pope, and says 'You will never be forgiven my son' and slowly walks away, fist pumping the screw in charge, LJ follows quick on Lansdowns heals, goes in for a fist pump with the screw but is left hanging.  They both climb in the helicopter which is parked on the roof and fly off into the sunset, catching each others eye before smiling.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My prediction, Freeman to miss a pen for QPR in the first 5 mins, then hack down Tammy in shear petulance immediately after for a straight red.  Holloway, incensed, invades the pitch to challenge the ref, gets held back by his own players, but the ref sends him to the stands.  On his way he finds a horse and punches it clean in the head, the horse is shaken but not stirred, but the police get their batons out and take Holloway down to China town, Holloways face burned on the AstroTurf surrounding the pitch, they arrest him and cart him down the touchline in handcuffs, Holloway is literally foaming at the mouth whilst struggling to get free, all the while getting pelters from the crowd.  We then go on to win 5-0, Taylor hat trick and Tammy with 2, Holloway listens on the police car radio on his way to the nick, a tear in his eye, with flashbacks of happier times circa 1990 flashing before him, where has it all gone he thinks.

After the game LJ and Lansdown visit Holloway down the nick and using their influence, ensure Holloway is put in solitary with only dirty water and grubs to eat, Holloway cries and begs forgiveness, Lansdown puts his hand on Holloways head like the Pope, and says 'You will never be forgiven my son' and slowly walks away, fist pumping the screw in charge, LJ follows quick on Lansdowns heals, goes in for a fist pump with the screw but is left hanging.  They both climb in the helicopter which is parked on the roof and fly off into the sunset, catching each others eye before smiling.

Excellent, Pure Imagination.

You didn't write for Knave in the 70's did you?

2-1 to City, COYR!!

• Like 2