IGNORED

An imperative win.

JHAGa

Just now, JHAGa said:

I said we've responded brillantly, not that we've been brilliant. Semantics but we've done a brilliant job in responding to the position we were in two months ago. I know they've led to our goals recently, that's my point. It's small margins and confidence plays a big factor in football, especially when you've lost so many on the bounce. The amount of refereeing decisions for us are still nowhere near as many that have gone against us.

I agree about us relying on Abraham being a negative. It's why I've said time and time again how the Kodjia sale was so damaging. Signing Djuric and Taylor in January were important reinforcements.

We were easy to beat, teams didn't have to do much to beat us, even when we were winning, that was the truth and the truth that even LJ knew and Preston away proved how easy it is to fall back into those bad habits in spades.

But there is a wider issue and one brought up in commentary today, for the 2nd time this season after the Preston game LJ said that he would pick a team that he trusted and he has and they have responded and that's good, but in the long term where does that leave those 'untrustworthy' players?.

16 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

The main reason being the losing run of eight games which was awful and a real low, obviously. We were narrowly edged out of most of those games, rarely outclassed. Confidence plays a huge factor in football, poor ref decisions went against us, individual errors costing us in some games (again, confidence) and Abraham also being out for a while also didn't help. But I think low confidence was the biggest factor. It's why so many teams that go on such a run struggle to recover but we've done brilliantly the last two months in doing that and I think it shows how changing the manager isn't the guaranteed magical fix that some claim. Us sticking with LJ has led us to go on just as good a run as you'd associate with a normal, new manager honeymoon period. We did brilliantly the first three months of the season, struggled for four months but the last two we've started doing well again, so I wouldn't say we've been 'horse shit this year'. More months than not we've been doing well. We now find ourselves in 18th, a pretty standard position for us in this league. It's not been a successful season, nobody will claim that, but if we stay up they all deserve credit for the fighting spirit shown over recent months when we were at a real low point. I believe LJ will have learned a lot from his first full season at this level, hopefully we finish getting the job done over the next four games and we will see what happens next year.

I agree, and said similar at the time. Confidence is a massive factor, and unless you've played the game you'll never understand that.

LJs biggest problem is the constant changing of the team and leaving players out completely with seemingly no explanation - however we don't see what happens behind the scenes. No one is in as good a position as LJ to decide who should and shouldn't play.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We were easy to beat, teams didn't have to do much to beat us, even when we were winning, that was the truth and the truth that even LJ knew and Preston away proved how easy it is to fall back into those bad habits in spades.

But there is a wider issue and one brought up in commentary today, for the 2nd time this season after the Preston game LJ said that he would pick a team that he trusted and he has and they have responded and that's good, but in the long term where does that leave those 'untrustworthy' players?.

Probably not on the retained list? Unless they pull there fingers out and want to play for Lee.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I think he's really talking about experience players who can deal with being in a tough spot fighting relegation who have learned to be mentally tough. He not really saying the other players are untrustworthy just not a mentally strong.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Gone in the summer I hope.

Have to say once again brilliant, Pack decided to prove me wrong at last, against wolves and QPR outstanding, Frankie also much more confident and improved, only one member of the team needs changing in midfield - dont know what has changed, changing room a whole different prospect, is it down to LJ? Only time will tell, whatever the change is working! Well done COYR

27 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

The main reason being the losing run of eight games which was awful and a real low, obviously. We were narrowly edged out of most of those games, rarely outclassed. Confidence plays a huge factor in football, poor ref decisions went against us, individual errors costing us in some games (again, confidence) and Abraham also being out for a while also didn't help. But I think low confidence was the biggest factor. It's why so many teams that go on such a run struggle to recover but we've done brilliantly the last two months in doing that and I think it shows how changing the manager isn't the guaranteed magical fix that some claim. Us sticking with LJ has led us to go on just as good a run as you'd associate with a normal, new manager honeymoon period. We did brilliantly the first three months of the season, struggled for four months but the last two we've started doing well again, so I wouldn't say we've been 'horse shit this year'. More months than not we've been doing well. We now find ourselves in 18th, a pretty standard position for us in this league. It's not been a successful season, nobody will claim that, but if we stay up they all deserve credit for the fighting spirit shown over recent months when we were at a real low point. I believe LJ will have learned a lot from his first full season at this level, hopefully we finish getting the job done over the next four games and we will see what happens next year.

Nothing to do with the manager/coach, or whatever he calls himself?  No-one disputes that recent results, bar shocking performances @ Brentford & Preston withstanding, have been better, but really & truly, we should have done much much better in this league this season, given the squad we have.

Does my nut in, proves this team has the ability and it just re-affirms the excellent start to the season we had. This team IS a top 6 side, I have no doubt about it. But with Johnson at the helm it's anyone's guess what this team can perform on any given day, it's like the players have their own tombola on how they want to perform.

22 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Nothing to do with the manager/coach, or whatever he calls himself?  No-one disputes that recent results, bar shocking performances @ Brentford & Preston withstanding, have been better, but really & truly, we should have done much much better in this league this season, given the squad we have.

Of course LJ could have done things better, criticism was warranted as he said so himself at the time, but there's extenuating factors also that influence matters, particularly low confidence at that time. But just as much as he deserves criticism for that period, he deserves recognition for when he has done things well (February-October and the last two months). I think the staff and players deserve praise for coming through it and responding so well in recent months. We could have done better this season of course, but I don't think we've massively underachieved. We're around the likes of Forest, Birmingham, Wolves, Ipswich, QPR, after all. If we still had Kodjia and were in the same position, I'd agree with you but at the moment we have a young, fairly inexperienced squad at this level that are a good group, they're still gelling, and should probably be somewhere in the midtable (10th-20th) range. We went on a bad run and lost confidence but now look to have regained it and are playing better again. But the Championship is so close, we have no given right to be anywhere. Look how Villa struggled for a long period with the squad and money they've spent.

I think our squad is full of good/decent players. I can't think of many names that really need shipping out due to being bad players as has been the case in past relegation struggles under McInnes etc. Add a few quality additions in the summer and I think the future can be bright.

Good win. Shame about the cringy fans on here.

Seems some care more about their own 'forum rep' than they do the club. Must be so enjoyable wishing your team lose to support your views and save face.

Actually, fans are like managers; there are two types. Those who see things objectively, learn and are able to reassess . And there are those who will blindly and stubbornly sit tight and pray that things change to match their opinions regardless of the resulting impact on anything as long as it's not them.

Archived