IGNORED

Blackburn now a 'must not lose' rather than a 'must win'?

old_eastender

We've given ourselves the opportunity to get a draw or even lose and still sit outside the drop zone (my maths might be off with that, but think it holds up).

Hoping for a draw in the Burton/Ipswich tonight; keeps Burton behind us, and Ipswich within reach (and they play Newcastle next), and the more teams concerned about relegation right now, the better.

Just now, samo II said:

Hoping for a draw in the Burton/Ipswich tonight; keeps Burton behind us, and Ipswich within reach (and they play Newcastle next), and the more teams concerned about relegation right now, the better.

That's why at the start of the week, I suggested Blackburn beating Forest would be a good result, provided City beat QPR, as that would drag Forest into the mix.

Well, you're almost there, although I did see Rovers win at Wycombe in the mother of all 6 pointers a couple of years back and mistakenly thought we were safe. All went wrong for me today (even to the extent of not cashing out a £1 bet to take £61 and ended up with nothing) , so it very much looks like we won't be meeting next season.

My only consolation is that Lansdown will now be convinced that LJ is 'the man' and I can look forward to more of the same next season!

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

That's why at the start of the week, I suggested Blackburn beating Forest would be a good result, provided City beat QPR, as that would drag Forest into the mix.

Can't disagree; while Blackburn falling away might have helped us short term, that was very much predicated on us not fluffing our lines.

The form of Burton, Blackburn and ourselves has shaken things us a fair bit.  A few more will suddenly be concerned now.

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well, you're almost there, although I did see Rovers win at Wycombe in the mother of all 6 pointers a couple of years back and mistakenly thought we were safe. All went wrong for me today (even to the extent of not cashing out a £1 bet to take £61 and ended up with nothing) , so it very much looks like we won't be meeting next season.

My only consolation is that Lansdown will now be convinced that LJ is 'the man' and I can look forward to more of the same next season!

U maybe right. But I will take lansdown and LJ over anything u got . Yes even LJ 

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

That doesn't make any sense at all, if Blackburn had lost we would be 7 clear with 4 to play meaning Blackburn would need at least 3 wins.. we would have been safe tonight

Just now, 'keepuplino' said:

That doesn't make any sense at all, if Blackburn had lost we would be 7 clear with 4 to play meaning Blackburn would need at least 3 wins.. we would have been safe tonight

I accept your point, but I was looking at finishing as high up the table as poss, not just avoiding relegation. Meanwhile, Brighton have just taken the lead against Wolves, so they'll remain catchable. As someone else posted a draw between Ipswich & Burton will be a good result for City.

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

U maybe right. But I will take lansdown and LJ over anything u got . Yes even LJ 

And I would take Wael and DC over anything you have, your team is your team :)

Although you can't fully celebrate yet, I'm sure the beer will taste a little sweeter for most of you tonight.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

I'd rather Blackburn had lost and we were 7 points clear rather than Forest being below us and only 4 points clear

10 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Game is a must not lose for Blackbum but not for us. We just need a win from any of the last 4 to be safe and i reckon that'll come against Barnsley.

Disagree, a point at Blackburn will put us 5 points away from the relegation zone with 3 to play. If we lose at Blackburn we could be only 1 or 2 points from the relegation zone.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Miah,

That win you had at Wycombe still makes me laugh - Not because you went on to get relegated but that clip of one of your fans celebrating and bringing one of your players down.Unlucky with your bet. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Not so sure the job is done yet

Thought we were well worth the win today, but really disappointed Blackburn won to be honest. If we lose there, and it is certainly possible, then we will be a point out of it with three to play. I would not wish to test the hypotheses then that 50 points will be enough. It could the become a game of musical chairs between four sides, with one missing out.

41 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Disagree, a point at Blackburn will put us 5 points away from the relegation zone with 3 to play. If we lose at Blackburn we could be only 1 or 2 points from the relegation zone.

I cannot think of any scenario where we could be 5 clear on Monday

5 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Whatever way you look at it we need just 1 win. Doesnt matter where/when it comes.

I would fancy three points will be enough, if one of them is at Blackburn.

If we lose there, the third from bottom line moves to 46 points with three to go. Not sure I would then want to test the theory that 50 is enough.

2 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Whatever way you look at it we need just 1 win. Doesnt matter where/when it comes.

If we beat Blackburn you would be right, if we lose to them then we could be one point clear of the relegation zone with 3 games to play. Anything could happen then with about 5 teams all having 9 points to play for.

3 points on Monday will make us safe, no points and ( depending how Forest,Burton and Brum get on) we could need another 5-6 points to make sure. Blackburn is a cup final.

Archived