IGNORED

End of the Matt Smith love affair

dragonreds

Got to be said I was gutted when we never signed him and have banged on the drum to sign him every transfer window since.

After todays performance I have to say thank god nobody listened to me and we never signed him.

Will always love him though for what he did for us

Smith suited the 3-5-2 and struck up a brilliant partnership with JET. If Cotterill was still here and we were still playing 3-5-2, the signing would have made sense. Doesn't make sense for us to be in for him currently, but will always be remembered fondly for the cracking run of form he went on whilst here.

Everybody knew how they would play with cinstant long balls to him.

We had more problems with Washington when they brought him on.

I like Matt Smith for what he did for us but he is very one dimensional and long term, I'm glad we didn't sign him.

Harsh really, he was given no support by the rest of his team and won a decent amount of the balls into the box, just no one there to win the second ball. Would I want him at City? Maybe as a squad player but not a regular starter. 

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

Everybody knew how they would play with cinstant long balls to him.

We had more problems with Washington when they brought him on.

I like Matt Smith for what he did for us but he is very one dimensional and long term, I'm glad we didn't sign him.

He's a good league one forward and maybe bottom championship sub when you want to lob the ball forward in the later stages 

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Smith was man marked by Flint, a threat was identified and the manager out a plan into place to nullify it.

Perhaps instead of criticising Matt Smith we should give credit to Aiden Flint? And even, if we're being really generous, some credit to one half of the Chuckle Brothers for getting the tactics right.   

1 hour ago, dragonreds said:

Got to be said I was gutted when we never signed him and have banged on the drum to sign him every transfer window since.

After todays performance I have to say thank god nobody listened to me and we never signed him.

so what did he do wrong ?

Just now, pongo88 said:

Perhaps instead of criticising Matt Smith we should give credit to Aiden Flint? And even, if we're being really generous, some credit to one half of the Chuckle Brothers for getting the tactics right.   

That's the route I'd be taking, though without the unnecessary insult towards the manager.

Smith had bugger all to feed off of today, and the little that went his way he had to fight off Aden and/or Wright. Even then he won a few headers but had no one within 10 yards to support him.

50 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That's the route I'd be taking, though without the unnecessary insult towards the manager.

Smith had bugger all to feed off of today, and the little that went his way he had to fight off Aden and/or Wright. Even then he won a few headers but had no one within 10 yards to support him.

Why do you think that I am insulting the manager?  The real Chuckle Brothers are a pair of comedians who are successful at their jobs.  The pair we've got at City are definitely comedians, but not successful at their jobs.  Comparing them to the real thing is a compliment. I don't know exactly how much LJ & MA have earned this season but it is hundreds of thousand pounds each. In return they have insulted the supporters by overseeing a summer spending spree on players, resulting in many not being regular first team players. LJ  then compounded this by taking what good players we've got and turning them into the worst team in the league for several months. Don't let the recent home wins disguise the truth. 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Why do you think that I am insulting the manager?  The real Chuckle Brothers are a pair of comedians who are successful at their jobs.  The pair we've got at City are definitely comedians, but not successful at their jobs.  Comparing them to the real thing is a compliment. I don't know exactly how much LJ & MA have earned this season but it is hundreds of thousand pounds each. In return they have insulted the supporters by overseeing a summer spending spree on players, resulting in many not being regular first team players. LJ  then compounded this by taking what good players we've got and turning them into the worst team in the league for several months. Don't let the recent home wins disguise the truth. 

Because it's been commonly used to have a dig at Johnson and Ashton.

Comparing them to comedians is not a compliment by any stretch, the linesman today was an utter clown, clowns are comic performers, so that must be a compliment too, right? Of course it isn't

And then you go on to talk about "disguising the truth" after your revisionism of things and little twists, such as ignoring many of the signed players were with the future in mind! :facepalm:

20 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Would want to watch it again, but thought maybe we just had the rub of the green on the one he had disallowed? Could not see to much wrong with it.

The corner? QPR stuck two players on Frankie to stop him moving. 

3 hours ago, dragonreds said:

League 1 striker. No threat at all at this level 

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Would want to watch it again, but thought maybe we just had the rub of the green on the one he had disallowed? Could not see to much wrong with it.

The giveaway for me was the lack of protest from the QPR players. If there was no foul they would have been chasing the ref up the pitch!!!

Archived