IGNORED

The Double Winning Players

ploppy

I've noticed that our upturn in form has coincided with a number of players from the double winning squad moving back into the team. Yesterday we had:

Fielding

Flint

Little

Bryan

Pack

Smith

Wilbs (sub)

I'd like to say how much I appreciate what all of these players have done for the club both in the past and now. I am very pleased that we still have these players and I am not surprised that we are more successful with them in the team. It has taken a while for some of them to adjust to this level but I am glad we have reverted back to the success that brought us to this merry dance in the first place.

5 hours ago, ploppy said:

I've noticed that our upturn in form has coincided with a number of players from the double winning squad moving back into the team. Yesterday we had:

Fielding

Flint

Little

Bryan

Pack

Smith

Wilbs (sub)

I'd like to say how much I appreciate what all of these players have done for the club both in the past and now. I am very pleased that we still have these players and I am not surprised that we are more successful with them in the team. It has taken a while for some of them to adjust to this level but I am glad we have reverted back to the success that brought us to this merry dance in the first place.

Need to replace Flint , Little , Fielding and Wilbs as not good enough for Championship 

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

It does ask the question what the 20+ players and £15m+ spent on the other players has brought to the party.

That's the big problem. They brought too many in and the big earners have been the biggest disappointments. Tomlin, GON, Matthews and Golbourne simply have been poor for the money spent on them(mostly wages). We did buy many young players that I'm happy with though. O'Dowda, Brownhill, Moore, Magnusson and even Engvall have bright futures in the game. The first 3 I think will be big parts in a good season next year if we stay up. To add them to the original list is a good young core to have. Then there are some good squad players like Djuric, Taylor, Vyner, Lucic, Paterson and Reid. 

We've got a good squad but too many to keep happy. Give me 19-20 legit first team contenders then rely on the U23s more. Maybe we bought so many to bridge the gap some as our U23s are young(16-18) but some should be ready for some minutes if needed next season. 

For me, I would let Tomlin, GON, Matthews, Golbourne, Little(Vyner back up CB and RB I like giving youth a go), and wouldn't mind Cotterill back but not gutted if he doesn't. We'll see if we get an offer for Flint which again I would not be gutted if he left and same for Hegeler but if Flint goes keep him as he can play that spot as well. 

All in all I'd probably like to see more outgoings than incomings. Say 4 incoming and 6 outgoing. Cuts the squad down two places which is a good start. 

It is telling that we've fallen back on players who formed part of the promotion side when times have been tough.

Korey Smith, Marlon Pack, Flint, Bryan (though those two were never really was out of the side), Fielding, and most recently Little - key players performing key roles at a key time.

What makes it even more interesting is that a number (Flint, Fielding, Bryan, Pack) have been here even longer than the previous manager, and arguably improved under him.

Of those 'new' players who make up our current starting line up, most have arrived 'fully formed' (Taylor, Paterson, Wright), and only really Brownhill and Abraham (and arguably O'Dowda) can be said to be key additions we've developed or who have improved at all while at the club.  

This is in someways pretty disappointing, as after a season where much of the talk has been about progression and development, to go back to our stalwarts at the end like this smacks of a backwards step (no slight on the players who've come in and pulled us back into contention; they've further shown their value to us/as professionals).

Have said repeatedly that if we'd had bad results because we'd stuck to a principle of blooding new, young players to ensure they can get experience at this level and develop, I'd be less sceptical of the current coaching regime than I am.

But by doing as we are now, and calling on the 'old guard' (some of whom aren't even that old tbf) to bail us out, and after chopping and changing in a way across the season that has seen many of our young prospects shut out, I have the feeling the 'pathway' to the first team and other talk is just that - talk.

The best youngster, and arguably our most essential player this season full stop is a kid who is owned by Chelsea, and we'll get nothing from once the season ends other than thanks - ironic that we've developed someone else's talent, yet our own kids seem so far away. 

18 minutes ago, samo II said:

The best youngster, and arguably our most essential player this season full stop is a kid who is owned by Chelsea, and we'll get nothing from once the season ends other than thanks - ironic that we've developed someone else's talent, yet our own kids seem so far away. 

That because that club rightly or wrongly, hoard some of the best and brightest talents in the country.

We've been fortunate that we didn't have to pay a massive loan fee for Tammy this season, as I can guarantee, wherever he goes out on loan next season, the loan fee will be starting at £1m + wages and they will probably insert a break clause to recall him if Chelsea have an injury crisis. 

If anything we should be thanking them, for the cracking deal we got! 

The way Chelsea have monetised their academy/U23 prospects is something else. 

40 minutes ago, Kezman said:

That because that club rightly or wrongly, hoard some of the best and brightest talents in the country.

We've been fortunate that we didn't have to pay a massive loan fee for Tammy this season, as I can guarantee, wherever he goes out on loan next season, the loan fee will be starting at £1m + wages and they will probably insert a break clause to recall him if Chelsea have an injury crisis. 

If anything we should be thanking them, for the cracking deal we got! 

The way Chelsea have monetised their academy/U23 prospects is something else. 

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here.

I am not complaining about having Tammy, but am pointing out we don't provide our young players opportunities to get experience at this level - no problem with exceptional talents like Tammy coming in to help us, but we do need to give our own kids (or young players we've signed, like Moore and Engvall) chances.

I realise how fortunate we've been with having Tammy this year.  I hope he gets a shot at top tier football next year.

2 hours ago, shelts said:

Need to replace Flint , Little , Fielding and Wilbs as not good enough for Championship 

I've never understood people saying we need to replace Fielding. Name me a keeper out there that we could attract that is better?

OK....he may not always command his box  brilliantly but what keepers do these days? The days of your Schmichaels are all but gone and these keepers are few and far between. He is a great shot stopper and has kept us in games on more then one occasion 

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I've never understood people saying we need to replace Fielding. Name me a keeper out there that we could attract that is better?

OK....he may not always command his box  brilliantly but what keepers do these days? The days of your Schmichaels are all but gone and these keepers are few and far between. He is a great shot stopper and has kept us in games on more then one occasion 

Great shot stopper. Not really a modern keeper. Flint old school not mobile. Little not technically good . Wilbs done his bit . We need better players in the Summer. 

8 hours ago, ploppy said:

Fielding

Flint

Little

Bryan

Pack

Smith

Wilbs (sub)

If only we could have kept the manager of that double winning squad and backed him to the same tune as a man with nothing (absolutely nothing) on his CV.

Who knows eh?

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Great shot stopper. Not really a modern keeper. Flint old school not mobile. Little not technically good . Wilbs done his bit . We need better players in the Summer. 

I agree on Little and Wilbs. Can't make up my mind on Flint...definately better alongside a more commanding centre half like Wright or Baker (last season)

11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I agree on Little and Wilbs. Can't make up my mind on Flint...definately better alongside a more commanding centre half like Wright or Baker (last season)

Agree the Jury is out for Flint next year make or break. Baker would've been good to keep . 

2 hours ago, Tiree said:

Clearly Shelts is a joke but you havent heard from SAB and TFJ recently either. I doubt Shelts went  to the last two home games and saw Little, i doubt he has seen Frankie since Feb and clearly he doesnt know what powerful CBs are meant to do if he doesnt rate Flint. Actually, we shouldnt even respond to these 'stay-away' folk who clearly never go to watch City; question is how do you stop reading them on this Forum?

We've only heard from you recently, 32 posts and you're that rude that you're calling out individual forum users.

Have a word mate.  And who the flaming heck is SAB?

And the answer is you block them you dolt, not bloody difficult is it?

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

We've only heard from you recently, 32 posts and you're that rude that you're calling out individual forum users.

Have a word mate.  And who the flaming heck is SAB?

And the answer is you block them you dolt, not bloody difficult is it?

And that rude in about 30 of them

Another Superfan so tread carefully

Flint is a bloody good centre-half, haven't seen to many better among opposition teams this season. Might not be the most mobile or best ball-player but what dominating CH is ? I'd rather have him than most others and you know that he's giving 100%, regularly goes in where it hurts and is still improving. Gets the odd goal and assist as well. 

55 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Little and Wilbs maybe but Flint and Fielding? Have you seen us play this season?

Unfortunately I have and these two might not make the cut. On their day solid honest pros and both have cost us at times this season . Fielding defo a goner but I would give Flint a little more time as sometimes it might be a case of who he's partnered with. We shall see

17 hours ago, shelts said:

however good we always need better players that's how it works.

Archived