IGNORED

28 years ago today

yardy

I remember sat in the front room with my dad watching it unfold both of us crying with the realisation that these people were just normal fans that went to a game and never came home.

Out of all the tragedies that has happened in my lifetime Hillsborough has affected me the most, the cover ups, the lies and all the years that the families of the deceased have waited for the truth....shocking, embarrassing and effin disgraceful!

RIP to the 96

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Terrible disaster. I'm pretty sure I was at Ashton gate. Sure city were home that day . RIP

They would have been, we were away at Brentford. News slowly filtered through after the game and pretty much everyone was assuming that it was 'trouble' rather than an entirely avoidable tragedy,

Yes, City were at home that day - against Blackpool I think. I remember sitting in the Dolman with my Dad as the news filtered through. At first we were under the impression it was crowd trouble but once we got home the scale of the tragedy became apparent. 

19 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There was a documentary on BBC4 last week about the history of the Fire Service and it included the Bradford fire. Those pictures are truly horrific and I`ll never forget them.

Yes, footage from that disaster is absolutely horrifying. The fire spread so unbelieveably quickly through that stand.

It is so sad that people went to watch a game of football and never made it home.

18 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, City were at home that day - against Blackpool I think. I remember sitting in the Dolman with my Dad as the news filtered through. At first we were under the impression it was crowd trouble but once we got home the scale of the tragedy became apparent. 

Yes I was there and remember typical initial comments such as " sounds like Liverpool fans causing trouble again" as we were leaving the ground.  This was understandable to a degree as this was only 4 years since the Heysel Stadium tragedy which was hooliganism, albeit in a stadium not fit for purpose.  As you say the true horror came out in the next few days, months and then (in terms of all the cover-ups) years.

I was at home at around 3pm when Grandstand was interrupted and the show went live to Hillsborough.  

I sat there with my sister watching,  she turned me and said why don't they open the gate, such a vivd memory.

I pop out shopping and came home about 5, my old man was in the kitchen, he told that was many deaths, since then many people have said they went to a football match and died that should not happen, I remember my old man saying that in our kitchen and that have stuck with me.

I have no connection with Liverpool or Sheffield but this tragedy for some reason have stayed with me all these years, I guess for my generation it was JFK moment, everyone knew where they were when they heard the news.

It did mark a change in football that and Italia 90 and then the forming of the premiership a few years later but it also marked a  change in social attitude in this country, people much more willing to show their emotions in public and come together in public grief.

I do wonder what the immediate  aftermath of the disaster would have been if we have social media back then, hopefully we wouldn't have had to cover up which caused so much more unnecessary pain.

Archived