IGNORED

Frankie's save

glastonred

What a brilliant save from Frankie yesterday (you know which one I mean!). One thing that Fielding has over Giefer is superb reflexes, especially against low shots. He does it time and time again. Giefer on the other hand makes me feel nervous! Whatever happens pre-season I really hope Frankie stays as our number one keeper. 

Frankie is a talent. If he was 6'3" he'd probably be a premier league keeper(assuming the added size would make him more comfortable coming for crosses). Unfortunately he is 6' on a good day and that limits him especially in this league where crosses into the box account for many chances. Premier League shot stopper though. When we beat Swindon at home 3-0 he kept it 0-0 for the first 20 minutes until we found our feet. All that's been said about him, he's lasted longer than all other keeper brought in these last two seasons. He's resilient and plays to his strengths. We can upgrade on him for sure but he's a good keeper for the league. 

Top man-management from the head coach: bring in proper, quality replacement from der Bundesliga (not third choice from league below) to give Frankie a rocket up his scheisse-hole, wait for der big Hun to pick up an unlikely injury, then bring Frankie back in and sit back and watch as his form improves no end. Vorsprung durch rocketupscheissehole.

Fielding has always been an excellent shot stopper, and he seems like a great guy to have around the place as well. My worry with him has always been his ability to dominate his area, and even yesterday this was an issue. He's a really competent number 2 at this level for me. I think we need a stronger all round keeper to start next season. 

5 hours ago, Jacki said:

Fielding has always been an excellent shot stopper, and he seems like a great guy to have around the place as well. My worry with him has always been his ability to dominate his area, and even yesterday this was an issue. He's a really competent number 2 at this level for me. I think we need a stronger all round keeper to start next season. 

Spot on.  Distribution in the past has been poor too, but he's improved this greatly.  Frankie is a top guy to have involved with club so hope we keep him.

FF is like a good wine, getting better with age ! 

Always been a good shot stopper, obviously worked on his kicking as that's come on massively just needs to work now on commanding his area. But no doubt after hard work which he obviously ain't shy at he will do this! 

I also love the way he's seen off competion. O'donnell , giefer, lukic  all brought in above Frankie and he's seen them off. Model professinal on and off the work.

bumped into him last week on his own at children's hospice southwest last week. Had a brief chat and he was dropping of signed shirts etc for raffles. 

Heck of a save at an important time, no doubt but still those question marks hang over him like that Smith disallowed goal from the corner - not sure there was a lot wrong there other than he was too strong for Flint (on that occasion) and sent him tumbling into FF

24 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Frankie never lets me relax, when a cross comes in I really want him to go to it, but he doesn't want to come.

shot stopping excellent though.

But his defenders seem to be more relaxed and able when he is behind them. Of course they are going to make errors but the game isn't littered with them playing like nervous wrecks now is it.

59 minutes ago, RedM said:

But his defenders seem to be more relaxed and able when he is behind them. Of course they are going to make errors but the game isn't littered with them playing like nervous wrecks now is it.

sorry was a poor attempt at humour, probably showing my age there!

9 hours ago, glastonred said:

What a brilliant save from Frankie yesterday (you know which one I mean!). One thing that Fielding has over Giefer is superb reflexes, especially against low shots. He does it time and time again. Giefer on the other hand makes me feel nervous! Whatever happens pre-season I really hope Frankie stays as our number one keeper. 

I'm a big fan of Franks, not just his ability but his personality around the club.  You need characters like Frankie in a team.

LJ tried to force him out by signing a second rate keeper from the continent but even the ineptitude of Mark Ashton and Johnson couldn't keep a good man down.

4 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

One thing FF has over Giefer is ability. Another classic LJ failure needing to stick with a Cotts stalwart. I like Frankie, he isnt a top half championship no.1 but a very capable keeper he is..

Tiny bit harsh to critique LJ on that one.. at the time Giefer came in, Frankie was off form and O'Donnell was out. It was only right to start a number 2 GK coming in from the Bundesliga (who was getting great plaudits from Germany) but fair play to Frankie he's come back in and made that number 1 spot his own. 

21 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

One thing FF has over Giefer is ability. Another classic LJ failure needing to stick with a Cotts stalwart. I like Frankie, he isnt a top half championship no.1 but a very capable keeper he is..

Then again, since promotion we've not been a top half Championship side 

22 hours ago, Spoons said:

FF is like a good wine, getting better with age ! 

Always been a good shot stopper, obviously worked on his kicking as that's come on massively just needs to work now on commanding his area. But no doubt after hard work which he obviously ain't shy at he will do this! 

I also love the way he's seen off competion. O'donnell , giefer, lukic  all brought in above Frankie and he's seen them off. Model professinal on and off the work.

bumped into him last week on his own at children's hospice southwest last week. Had a brief chat and he was dropping of signed shirts etc for raffles. 

Lucic wasn't brought in abovef Frankie by any stretch at all.

45 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Lucic wasn't brought in abovef Frankie by any stretch at all.

He was competition for Frankie and actually put him out of the team. He was bought in as a goalkeeper who was able to use his feet as LJ made it clear that this was frankies weakness , which to be fair it was.

So all in all if someone's bought into the club and then played infront of you I would say that means he was bought in above Frankie!! 

Im glad FF has started to prove the fans and managers wrong.  

Just now, Spoons said:

He was competition for Frankie and actually put him out of the team. He was bought in as a goalkeeper who was able to use his feet as LJ made it clear that this was frankies weakness , which to be fair it was.

So all in all if someone's bought into the club and then played infront of you I would say that means he was bought in above Frankie!! 

Im glad FF has started to prove the fans and managers wrong.  

He was not brought in ahead of Frankie at all though, you are selecting moments of what happened to try and twist it so that was the case. Lucic was third choice for a long time and only got brought into the starting 11 through a combination of woefully pathetic mistakes and an injury- after O'Leary had been sent out on loan as well. So he did not put him out of the team as much as it being an enforced change. He wasn't even on the bench despite Frankies injury at the start of the season and it has been clear from day one that Lucic was never intended to be a starter this season. 

On the other hand there was Fielding who had O'Donnell as competition for the first team spot.

Archived