IGNORED

If Burton were relegated - thoughts on Nigel Clough

Redstart

Not looking to kick off a whole LJ debate here - just interested in whether people would welcome Nigel Clough here at City in any capacity.

Personally I believe we have been lacking that 'Championship Manager' experience - I dont particularly like Clough as an individual but he does have vast experience of the Championship. He's done wonders at Burton with little financial backing and is someone I would love to see at the City as part of the management team in any capacity.

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

Not looking to kick off a whole LJ debate here - just interested in whether people would welcome Nigel Clough here at City in any capacity.

Personally I believe we have been lacking that 'Championship Manager' experience - I dont particularly like Clough as an individual but he does have vast experience of the Championship. He's done wonders at Burton with little financial backing and is someone I would love to see at the City as part of the management team in any capacity.

No ta

Had a good chance to make a impression at derby. Big fan base , big money to spend on wages and transfer fees. Didn't seem to work out at that would worry me as that job has similarities to the city job? Maybe works better with less pressure on him and smaller budgets and lower expectations?  

Sometimes managers and clubs just fit, burton and clough seem to. 

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

A great shout. Has built up his career on his own back whilst having to live in shadow of his old man's career. Got to respect that.

I'd take him. 

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Burton get relegated that will add to his 100% failure rate at this level for Clough

Bit harsh - Derby have been a shambles for years and nobody expected Burton to achieve what they have achieved this year - the points they have gained would have kept them up last year in a league in which many posters have commented on as being one of the hardest leagues to play in.

To be fair, on the budget they have, he has done an incredible job to even get them close to survival. Rotherham probably have bigger budget and look what's happened to them.

I'd be interested in getting him in should he become available although there may be some truth in what someone said above about him doing well at smaller clubs.

27 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Had a good chance to make a impression at derby. Big fan base , big money to spend on wages and transfer fees. Didn't seem to work out at that would worry me as that job has similarities to the city job? Maybe works better with less pressure on him and smaller budgets and lower expectations?  

Agree with this.

Also didn't he have a bigger budget than us when he managed Sheffield united. When we walked the league 

39 minutes ago, The_Don said:

A manager who achieves relegation with his current club is considered a step up? 

Not for me.

Eh? Am I missing something? Clough's curent club is Burton Albion, I don't ever recall him being relegated with them, or Derby or Sheff Utd either. I'm confused.

He also has on his CV two promotions including one to the Championship, an FA cup semi final appearance with a league 1 side and plenty of experience at this level. What has LJ got? Absolutely nothing. Of course Clough is a step up, even if he wouldnt be a man I'd be excited about having here.

Just 10 days ago, people were talking about organising protests for LJs removal... Now I get challenged for suggesting a manager who has achieved a lot more is better than him. This forum mind!!!

Just now, Wanderingred said:

Eh? Am I missing something? Clough's curent club is Burton Albion, I don't ever recall him being relegated with them, or Derby or Sheff Utd either. I'm confused.

He also has on his CV two promotions including one to the Championship, an FA cup semi final appearance with a league 1 side and plenty of experience at this level. What has LJ got? Absolutely nothing. Of course Clough is a step up, even if he wouldnt be a man I'd be excited about having here.

Just 10 days ago, people were talking about organising protests for LJs removal... Now I get challenged for suggesting a manager who has achieved a lot more is better than him. This forum mind!!!

Yes you are missing something. The thread title clearly says if Burton are relegated.

Has done nothing of note with the bigger clubs he has managed in the Championship, great job getting Burton into this league of course but would not be someone I'd like to see as LJ's replacement should the worst happen to us.

Just now, The_Don said:

Yes you are missing something. The thread title clearly says if Burton are relegated.

Has done nothing of note with the bigger clubs he has managed in the Championship, great job getting Burton into this league of course but would not be someone I'd like to see as LJ's replacement should the worst happen to us.

Fair enough I missed that, but I still dont think you've made a valid point. Nobody expected him to keep Burton up with their meagre resources. If they do end up going down, I wouldnt hold that as a huge failure on Cloughs part. The fact he has them in with a shout is remarkable imho.

For the record, I wouldn't want him here either, I was merely saying that he would be a step up from LJ which I don't think anybody could really argue with given the evidence available.

We'll have a agree to disagree on this one mate, I stand by my opinion that Clough wouldn't be a step up for me.

Not that it matters too much as LJ isn't going anywhere and rightly so if our performances continue in the same vein as the past three home games.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

This for me. Some managers just struggle when given more resources. I wouldnt want him here.

1) LJ is here for the foreseeable end of ......

B) The Derby failure , to me , is less worrying than SheffU. Big club in that division, amazed it's taken them so long to get back up. But , if we are to believe that LJ is going to be better because of this years experience, then why should we think it wouldn't work for Clough. 
That said, I'd be as excited about Clough coming here as I was LJ, says a lot really.

I take it nobody is too keen on the thought of them working together then (rather than an either or scenario).

I agree that it is unlikely LJ will be going anywhere, so if that is taken as a given I would still like to see somebody on that City bench who has more Championship knowledge/experience. 

Archived