IGNORED

George Barker

max444

Hi please can you help. I am looking for some details concerning George Barker, full back, who joined Bristol City from Everton. He had previously played for the 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards. I believe he also played for Bedminster before returning to his home town team, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Any info would be gratefully received, thank you..

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

In 50 years of supporting City and reading everything i can find about the club and its history, i have never come accross a George Barker, though I sometimes think we are being managed by Ronnie Barker.

Can we be managed by Tom Baker? (I know I'm stretching the  name thing a bit).

The after match comments would be epic, especially listening to them with a decent sub woofer.

anyone for a jelly baby? 

54 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

In 50 years of supporting City and reading everything i can find about the club and its history, i have never come accross a George Barker, though I sometimes think we are being managed by Ronnie Barker.

Pretty sure this would be far earlier than that.

With the reference to the Grenadier Guards, and the fact there 's no record of George Barker having played a League game for City, it's quite likely any appearances were during the 2nd WW - when the League was suspended - or indeed, with the reference to Bedminster FC, perhaps even during WW1.

12 hours ago, max444 said:

Hi please can you help. I am looking for some details concerning George Barker, full back, who joined Bristol City from Everton. He had previously played for the 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards. I believe he also played for Bedminster before returning to his home town team, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Any info would be gratefully received, thank you..

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

There is no record of a George Barker listed in 'The Complete Who's Who of Bristol City League Players' so presumably he never played a league game for City.

http://www.evertonfc.com/players/g/gb/george-barker

Is this the George Barker we are talking about?

If it is, he may have not played a league game for City as they did not join the league until 1901 and amalgamated with Bedminster in 1900....I could be wrong here, but that is my recollection....You're as old as me NTB...Whats your recollection! :laugh:!

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pretty sure this would be far earlier than that.

With the reference to the Grenadier Guards, and the fact there 's no record of George Barker having played a League game for City, it's quite likely any appearances were during the 2nd WW - when the League was suspended - or indeed, with the reference to Bedminster FC, perhaps even during WW1.

Checked, Bristol City - A Complete Record 1894-1987 ..... nothing, and I have Soccer at war 1939-45 and no Barker listed as playing for City or Everton during the 2nd WW. The only thing I've found is this, not much.

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 08.03.29.png

Archived