IGNORED

Gianfranco Zola

Sweeneys Penalties

Just now, Andy Horsman said:

I'm hard pushed, off the top of my head, to think of a worse decision in football than to sack Rowett and appoint Zola.  Thought so at the time, but never imagined he'd be quite so inept!!

At the time it was baffling, to remove Rowett for a guy that wasn't exactly successful at this level, and his record at Brum has made LJ's season look successful by comparison! 

The interesting thing now will be to see the reaction. They have a good squad like us, and shouldn't be near the drop at all, were the players not playing for Zola? Or is there a wider issue at the club? Three games, tough fixtures and they need probably 2-3 points... the Villa game just got even more interesting!

It'll look pretty bad if they haul themselves out of the mire with a caretaker now; implication would be that even no manager is better than Zola!

Feel sorry for him, as seems a genuinely nice bloke, but like a more articulate Dean Saunders, seems to have a curse hanging over him; you get the feeling he'd even relegate Barca if he somehow ended up there, the poor chap.

Just now, MelksRed said:

To be fair LJ managed to fire us up at the start of the season and the end of the season (thus far)....all we need now is the middle 25 games and in could make it to the PL......

Sort of like making a nice starter and decent enough dessert, but messing up the main course.

Hope he taking some cooking lessons in the summer, IF the dessert doesn't end up giving up food poisoning after all, and we get flushed into league one...

5 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Clearly out of his depth and did the honourable thing but far far to late to save them....

Hopefully ours realises this after the birmingham game and disperses the black cloud that is currently over this great club.

#johnsonout 

Only way this would happen is if we are relegated and nobody on here wants that to happen (do they?!!)

32 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

I'm hard pushed, off the top of my head, to think of a worse decision in football than to sack Rowett and appoint Zola.  Thought so at the time, but never imagined he'd be quite so inept!!

Our decision to appoint LJ is up there, or to offer him a new contract......

Love to relegate Birmingham on the last day.

38 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Probably. But I like the bloke.

I was referring to the constant comparison to Rowett. Zola didn't sack Rowett.

Oh well.

Why would comparisons with Rowett stop him being able to select and coach a team to win matches? If he'd done a decent job, people would soon have forgotten about his predecessor.

51 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

Curbishley at charlton maybe?

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Can't believe someone hasn't said it yet - job for cotts !!

Honestly I think he'd be the best appointment they could make. He could go in with a hand grenade and get them safe, if he doesn't he's the man to build a league one team for promotion whilst playing good football. No big upheaval for him to work in Birmingham. 

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why would comparisons with Rowett stop him being able to select and coach a team to win matches? If he'd done a decent job, people would soon have forgotten about his predecessor.

Because he replaced a successful manager, anything less than Rowett achieved would've been failure.

Yes Zola has failed spectacularly but he would've had to do a tremendous job to forget his predecessor.

46 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Our decision to appoint LJ is up there, or to offer him a new contract......

Love to relegate Birmingham on the last day.

It isn't really though, is it? I'm still not convinced by LJ but the fact is he was brought in last season to keep us up and did so. This season we had an appalling slump and are far lower than we should be but currently look like we have a better chance than others to stay up. I'm not defending LJ's appointment or his record but it's clearly an exaggeration to see it as a Zola-esque disaster...

A couple of their players squared up to each other in the warm down after the previous defeat.

He's too nice and refined to be dealing with "brumaes"

Chateaux Neuf Du Pap v Brew XI

Ferrari v Morris 1100.

Shame he couldn't have stuck it out as he was doing a good job.

Job for Cops, he likes short stints.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Honestly I think he'd be the best appointment they could make. He could go in with a hand grenade and get them safe, if he doesn't he's the man to build a league one team for promotion whilst playing good football. No big upheaval for him to work in Birmingham. 

He'd also have the added incentive of keeping them up at the possible expense of two clubs that have let him go in the very recent past.  He'd be 'bang at it' as they say.  Let's hope they don't go for him! 

Fair play, very rare for a manager to just resign.

"I sacked myself. I decided to give in my resignation," said Zola.

"I am sorry because I came to Birmingham with huge expectations. Unfortunately, the results have not been good and I take full responsibility.

"It is not that I like quitting, but Birmingham deserves better. If I feel I cannot help the players, why stay? If I cannot help the team, it is better I leave and let someone else do that.

"I feel very bad and very sorry. We worked with a lot of meaning, but unfortunately it didn't produce the results. It is all very disappointing."

Zola was the one of the best players I've ever seen either live or on the box but he really needs to stop managing football teams! Harsh but true. 

Someone with one of the quickest and best football brains on the pitch seems to have lost it off the pitch! What was he thinking excepting the Brum job? That was only ever going one way!

Not sure why but can't help feeling sorry for him. 

Sad for him really but think he has done the right thing there. Annoyingly they might have a bit of a bounce -  surely can't do any worse than they have been doing.

I do remember how they effectively relegated us all those years ago with that dodgy penalty. Not saying I hate them or anything but I remember it being a harsh defeat when we played so well. Could be that we end up relegating them.

7 hours ago, eardun said:

Perhaps they should have simply stuck with Rowett. 

Must have been a Feng Shui thing for the Chinese; Rowetts arse was facing in the wrong direction. Cannot for the life of me think of any other reason to sack him. Problem is their compass was clearly busted.

7 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Fortunately he didn't as we've been doing well since. Managers leaving hasn't helped Birmingham, Forest or Blackburn.

Difference with Zola is, he had done nothing well for Birmingham at all. LJ had taken over and guided us to safety and then to the play-offs. That bought him the time. Zola has only took them one way.

I missed that episode; was it the day time omnibus?

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Reading their forum there's a clear suggestion that players who liked / were loyal to Rowett rebelled / downed tools for Zola

He was up against it from the start

And as others have said; why take it. He strikes me as a nice bloke but a bit dim; this kinda proves it. Either that or his agent is even more so. I mean not as if he needs the money and the risk to reward ratio must have been gigantic... oh.. its the clueless classless mega rich Chinese; it probably was.

Archived