IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

The NZ Barbarians are by far the weakest team the Lions will play on NZ soil.

But as Will Greenwood just said, they look far more comfortable on the ball than the Lions. Its all about ball retention and creating openings, the Lions look to me to want to force everything, even when it's clearly not on.

Will be interesting to see if the Lions power comes into the second half, especially the last 20 minutes.

Zero ambition from the Lions, kicking penalties against a scratch team was embarrassing. Why would the best rugby players in the U.K. and Ireland not be willing to go for tries in those situations, I don't get the mindset.

This will have sent out a message to all NZ sides that the Lions aren't willing to actually take them on, it was just percentage rugby. 

Wasn't great but first game never is, jet lag and conditions were not favourable to either side. 

Pretty sure henderson & Seymour won competitions to play as both were poor. 

The bath players played well (biased opinion of course), sinckler did well. Other than that, not too good. 

For those of you with sky on demand, I've been watching the lions documentaries. Watching the 2005 one at the moment. I've gone backwards, did 2013 first then 2009. Brought back some good memories and unfortunately,  the nightmare Ronan o'gara end to the 2nd test in South africa. :grr:

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Wasn't great but first game never is, jet lag and conditions were not favourable to either side. 

Pretty sure henderson & Seymour won competitions to play as both were poor. 

The bath players played well (biased opinion of course), sinckler did well. Other than that, not too good. 

For those of you with sky on demand, I've been watching the lions documentaries. Watching the 2005 one at the moment. I've gone backwards, did 2013 first then 2009. Brought back some good memories and unfortunately,  the nightmare Ronan o'gara end to the 2nd test in South africa. :grr:

Agree with everything you say bar the Baff comment as I thought Joseph was fairly poor. 

Poor ROG. Shouldn't have been on the pitch with concussion at that stage.

Good selection for the Lions. Some suggested that Haskell would cover Faletau for 8 with Stander moving to blindside but this selection shows that CJ is there as a number 8, his best position. I like that back row, but I'm not sure that Stander is fit based on his last few games and the amount of strapping around his ankle. Hopefully the week off has done him good. I like the look of the backs as well, particularly looking forward to seeing Nowell and Daly outside the Irish centres. Also a great honour for Ken Owens, big opportunity for him to lay down a marker here. Henderson, Sexton and Laidlaw will need strong showings when they get on after Saturday.

Halfpenny; Nowell, Payne, Henshaw, Daly; Biggar, Webb; McGrath, Owens (captain), Cole, Itoje, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander

Replacements: Best, Marler, Sinckler, Henderson, O'Mahony, Laidlaw, Sexton, L Williams

Strong team for the Blues, eight internationals including Luatua and Money Bill providing he passes a fitness test. This will be really tough:

15. Michael Collins
14. Matt Duffie
13. George Moala
12. Sonny Bill Williams/TJ Faiane
11. Rieko Ioane
10. Stephen Perofeta
9. Agustine Pulu

1. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
2. James Parsons (captain)
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
5. Scott Scrafton