IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

Shocking from Gatland. Davies is the only one good enough, the rest have no business being there.

To be fair I don't care that they're all Welsh, Gatland called up Tom Court four years ago because he was on holiday in Australia. He also called up Wade and Twelvetrees neither of whom were good enough.

If you want to call up more guys you pick the next cabs off the rank, not guys who are up the road. It totally devalues the jersey. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

Eddie Jones was bang on, pick them on merit, not because they're nearby.

Cracking win for Scotland in Australia by the way. 

Sadly that one kicked off a bit early for me but fantastic win alright. If he was only worried about proximity, Scotland are in Aussie, Ireland are in Japan...

Moriarty out of the tour as well. Sad for him, a player I really rate.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Has anyone seen Ben Teo pass the ball? Brilliant runner but he needs to be able to pass as well....

I think Stuart Barnes has made the point that he hasn't had any support runners, the irony is, he's a NZ Maori!

Edit, got that one wrong, he's not a Maori, just a kiwi, got him muddled up with the Kiwi (  Denny Solomona)  who  made his debut for England last week against Argentina!

There's no reason that Lions pack can't stand up to NZ's. As Bill says, the concern is the lack of creativity outside of ten. I know that plenty are against it but my preference would be to play Sexton and Farrell simply because that way you get two of your best players in the team and Farrell in a position where nobody has shown up well. Gatland singled out T'eo amongst others for praise in his post match interview earlier though so I'm sure he'll get the nod.

My team would be this, with what I think Gatland will pick in brackets if different:

Halfpenny, Watson, Davies, Farrell (T'eo), Williams (North); Sexton (Farrell), Murray; Vunipola, George, Furlong, Itoje, Kruis, POM, SOB, Faletau.

Owens, McGrath, Sinckler, AWJ, Stander/Tipuric (Warburton), Webb, Joseph (Sexton), Daly.

The last bench spot was a bit tricky. I think Daly will definitely wear 23 because he covers so many positions. I wouldn't have three stand offs in the 23 so I went with Joseph because he's the only non bosh merchant centre on tour. In the unlikely event Gatland picked Sexton and Farrell with North on the wing then Liam Williams could bench for versatility as well. I'm sitting on the fence with CJ and Tipuric for the bench spot, although I wouldn't be against a 6/2 split if Farrell and Sexton start with Joseph dropping out and CJ and Tipuric both benching.

Before this game today I would have started Owens and AWJ with the idea of bringing George and Itoje on after 60 mins as impact players. I don't think you can change the pack after that performance though. I think the only selection I've made not on form (thought Sexton played very well today) is Williams. That's simply because I don't think any of the wings apart from Watson have done much at all and I think Williams is the best back three player on tour and will come good. Could easily pick Daly there with Williams benching as well, another player I rate highly.

13 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Shocking from Gatland. Davies is the only one good enough, the rest have no business being there.

To be fair I don't care that they're all Welsh, Gatland called up Tom Court four years ago because he was on holiday in Australia. He also called up Wade and Twelvetrees neither of whom were good enough.

If you want to call up more guys you pick the next cabs off the rank, not guys who are up the road. It totally devalues the jersey. 

The part I found strange to start with, as many games as last time and they were expected to be tougher, yet he picked a smaller squad to go. Would he have not anticipated needing a big squad to keep his first choice 23 fresh?

14 hours ago, hodge said:

The part I found strange to start with, as many games as last time and they were expected to be tougher, yet he picked a smaller squad to go. Would he have not anticipated needing a big squad to keep his first choice 23 fresh?

He says this was the plan all along. I feel really sorry for the lads who have been called up. I'm sure they're delighted and know that they're there for cover. Of course it's not something you'd turn down but everyone is saying they shouldn't be there which - Russell, Davies and maybe Francis aside - they shouldn't be. Really awkward position for them through no fault of their own.

He always planned to call up guys to do nothing but appear on the midweek bench..? Even if it were hypothetically the same people why not include them from the start so they could be involved with all the training camp etc, must make them feel a bit like outsiders being called up at this stage knowing its just to sit on the bench for midweek. 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

He always planned to call up guys to do nothing but appear on the midweek bench..? Even if it were hypothetically the same people why not include them from the start so they could be involved with all the training camp etc, must make them feel a bit like outsiders being called up at this stage knowing its just to sit on the bench for midweek. 

I can't find the quote now but I'm sure that's what he said. I totally agree with you. What's the point in having guys there who have no hope of playing in the tests? If you need cover you call the next players on the list. If a few guys get ruled out of the tour in the next week or so he'll have to do that anyway. It's absolutely ludicrous.

23 hours ago, hodge said:

Not Gatland, but just seen this from Blue Joe where he says he was aware of the plan beforehand:

"I can say that. I was aware that it was likely that players were going to come in for that Chiefs game before they left. That was always part of the plan."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/lions-tour/i-just-think-its-practical-joe-schmidt-backs-gatlands-decision-to-call-reinforcements-35836462.html

9 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Playing well ATM, shows how undercooked we were to start with...

The Lions are playing well, cutting all the space down and not allowing the Chiefs any space at all to play in. 

It does help that the Chiefs are missing 11 first choice players though!

8 of which are in the All black squad.

36 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The Lions are playing well, cutting all the space down and not allowing the Chiefs any space at all to play in. 

It does help that the Chiefs are missing 11 first choice players though!

8 of which are in the All black squad.

I think Gatland has his test and midweek back threes the wrong way around. Have to factor in the quality of opposition but Liam Williams, Nowell and Daly all put their hands up today.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm still not overly convinced by Williams tbh, Daly and Nowell would both be ahead of him in the 23 for me.

Williams is superb, the best back three player in the Isles in my opinion. Nowell got the plaudits today but the quality of Williams' counter attacking from full back was wonderful.

Archived