IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

Thread of the summer.

Ahead of the squad reveal Wednesday a BBC are reporting Launchbury and Joseph are set to miss out on selection. Joseph seemingly because Gatland wants to go with 'bigger' 13's and Launchbury is seemingly missing out to Kruis and Lawes. Think we're on for a big hiding if Gatland is going to try and front up to NZ in size. 

Yeah I like the look of Henshaw too, it's just the rumour that Te'o is getting the nod over him :facepalm:

Also rumour is the three scrum halfs are Murray, Youngs and Webb. Would be a joke imo if Care isn't in the squad, Murray is nailed on to start and Care would be better than the other two off the bench.

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I would personally take Launchbury over Lawes or Kruis, though they're all good players. I'm not a huge Joseph fan for whatever reason. Henshaw is a better 13 than a 12 so we might see him outside Farrell if Fatland wants a big fella there. Be interesting to see if the Good Doctor Jaw (Roberts) goes...

Launcbury was in my opinion the best lock in this years 6 nations, criminal if he does not go. As for Joseph, he is effective as long as whoever if at 12 is a great ball player, if not he cant be unleashed. 

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Launcbury was in my opinion the best lock in this years 6 nations, criminal if he does not go. As for Joseph, he is effective as long as whoever if at 12 is a great ball player, if not he cant be unleashed. 

He was certainly up there. Bizarre if he is overlooked I agree. Farrell will surely play 12 unless Sexton is injured? I prefer Farrell there than at 10 but he's a superb player in either position.

Having lived in NZ, and having a son, daughter in law and grand kids in NZ you will have to excuse me being a bit of a NZ rugby nut.

Living there as a Pom you see first hand how intense and tough rugby is in that country. The pace of the game and the skill ( and size! ) of the players ( even local rugby) has to be seen to believed.  More people of Samoan descent are born and live in Auckland than the whole population of Samoa, ( true fact) add in the Maori and the white population of NZ and you have a mix of size, skill, and natural talent in abundance. 

Anyway, back to the tour!.

For starters I can not believe the Lions accepted the tour Itinerary!, playing all 5 of the Super rugby teams and the Maori AB's is hard enough,but then add in the 3 test matches and it's potentially the toughest tour ever for a Lions side. The form the NZ super rugby teams are in makes the tour seem like 8 ( 9 if you include the Maori ) test matches. The midweek games against the super rugby sides are going to be a massive test for the Lions, so the Lions squad are going to be severely tested. 

Gatland has to decide whether he thinks the Lions can take the NZ sides on with pace and a running game, or play it tight. Either way it's going to be a real tough ask. It has all the makings of being a fantastic tour. 

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Hartley set to miss out as well, becoming the third England captain in a row to miss out on lions selection. Warburton set to be captain, wonder how he will be coming back from a 6 week injury. 

Not at all sure about Warburton as captain but for me Hartley missing out is the correct call. His temperament means you can never fully trust him and he isn't even the best hooker in England.

14 hours ago, hodge said:

Roberts supposedly getting picked :facepalm:

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Either he's there to truck it up midweek and hold tackle bags or he'll be starting the tests. Weird enough either way.

Roberts being picked, if true, seems an odd call. I can only presume that MR has it bang on, I really don't see what he brings to the test team anymore. Fantastic player back in the day though

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Not at all sure about Warburton as captain but for me Hartley missing out is the correct call. His temperament means you can never fully trust him and he isn't even the best hooker in England.

Warburton as captain, again, if true, is another bizarre one. Hartley, I'm torn on - but I really don't see him staying on the pitch for 80 minutes. How many times did Eddie take him off after 50 odd minutes during the 6N. 

Launchbury missing out is a real hard one. Great player, doesn't get the headlines, but always solid. That said, I'm a massive fan of both Lawes and Kruis as well. England are lucky to have those three to call upon

Can't really have too many complaints about that squad, think the only additions I'd have really wanted to see would have been Launchbury and Care.

Going to be interesting when the lions DVD comes out to see their selection meeting. 

Good selection, can't really disagree with any of it. Hartley not going is the right call, suspect Best will start the tests with George to come off the bench as he's been doing for England, then Owens is a decent backup. 

Would have been pissed off if Roberts had got in ahead of Joseph. I'd have had Launchbury in but all of those who were picked in that position are more than worthy. 

Horrible note on which to revive this thread, but I didn't notice any posts on the awful news about Tom Youngs' wife being diagnosed with terminal cancer. Thoughts go to the family.

Greig Laidlaw replaces Ben Youngs in the Lions squad. And to think I was gearing up to post about how disappointed I was for the inevitable injury withdrawals between now and the plane leaving. It puts it all into perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/06/ben-youngs-lions-squad-tom-youngs

See a couple of teams weren't happy by the date of the first meeting, Sarries cancelled training because of players being away and its 5 days before their cup game. Gloucester also had players missing with their game on Friday. 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

See a couple of teams weren't happy by the date of the first meeting, Sarries cancelled training because of players being away and its 5 days before their cup game. Gloucester also had players missing with their game on Friday. 

Sarries are always whinging about something. I hope I'm wrong but I think they'll beat ASM easily enough in the final. They're a superb team and a few lads missing from training for one day won't make a difference to that.

Gatland said there had been no official requests to move the date of the event, but why even have the press day while the club season is ongoing? Couldn't it have been done the day before the players joined up for training? 

Archived