IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

Also just seen the accidental offside, @Super I can see why Poite gave it the way he did, but I think Owens is a bit lucky. He was obviously retreating and not looking for the ball, but then he catches it so I'd be inclined to give the full penalty. I'd say that's a real 50/50 which I certainly wouldn't have complained about had it gone the other way.

After I slagged him off I thought Poite had a pretty good game, there was some boring in from Crockett on Sinckler at the scrum, but Sinckler later did the same to him and Poite ignored all of it so I suppose you could say that's consistent at least.

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not a penalty in my opinion, he catches it and then realises straight away so therefore it was accidental, just a natural reaction. The pub I was in did go very quiet at that moment though...

My problem with it is that I'm not sure you can catch the ball accidentally. Obviously it was an instinctive reaction and he knew that he was offside so released immediately but I think he was very very lucky. I don't think I've seen a ref not give a full penalty against a player for doing that before. Brave call from Poite anyway.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Also just seen the accidental offside, @Super I can see why Poite gave it the way he did, but I think Owens is a bit lucky. He was obviously retreating and not looking for the ball, but then he catches it so I'd be inclined to give the full penalty. I'd say that's a real 50/50 which I certainly wouldn't have complained about had it gone the other way.

After I slagged him off I thought Poite had a pretty good game, there was some boring in from Crockett on Sinckler at the scrum, but Sinckler later did the same to him and Poite ignored all of it so I suppose you could say that's consistent at least.

Cheers MR. Like i said im not clued up on rugby rules so good to hear from people on here who are.

4 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

A lot of kiwis are annoyed with this decision obviously. But a lot are pointing out that advantage should have also been played as Leonard Brown was in ( I think it was him!) when the Lions player decided to drop the ball he initially caught!.

It was a game of very fine lines, but for someone ( like me!!) with dual nationality, it all ended well :yes:

7 hours ago, Super said:

Dont know loads but what did you make of that offside call not to give the pen? Ref is getting slated on social media!

The law is so unclear, I don't think anyone knows for sure, when you watch it again it's clear that NZ should have been allowed to play on with an advantage. A try was on the cards!

3 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Fair play to Gatland for this...

gatland-clown-small_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqIy-hI_Rb7umEEAnFLxzn2l9AcA8a29IuyosQYP3sMiw.jpg

It's been pointed out that he only won 5 out of 10 games on tour, not the best of records for a Lion Coach, I guess it's all down what people regard a successful tour to be!.

Personally 5-10 was what I expected pre tour. Very strange how he's reacted to the NZ Herald, it's really the only NZ daily newspaper, our papers are 100% worse when they want to have a pop at someone.

I love football, it's the sport I played all my life, but what i witnessed today may have been the peak of athletic competition.

The fact they walked away equals is perfect and sums rugby up perfectly. Nothing in football or any other sport can compare.

3500.jpg

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They're like the Aussie cricket press, happy to dish it out but can't take it when things go against them. 

Yep. No doubt they thought Sonny Bill was unlucky last week.

12 hours ago, 054123 said:

Bitter and sour, shame.

Was the correct decision. Simple.

Can you imagine what our press would be like if the roles were reversed!! 

It now turns out that the referee had no right ( in the laws) to change his decision re the offside. The TMO is not allowed to be used for such a decision!.

Archived