IGNORED

OFFICIAL Lions Tour 2017 thread

Lrrr

31 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Steven Luatua looks like a seriously good buy for Bristol next year, his offloading is on another level and he is very solid at the breakdown

Looks very good.

As was said during commentary, line outs and scrums don't win games in New Zealand.

TBH the lack of any player in the Lions to go past players is shocking. No guile at all, no X factor players.

Eight games to go and every one will be tougher than this one. The Lions have played the weakest two teams they will play and really struggled so far.

I can't see how the Lions can hope to beat teams with just keeping the ball tight around the rucks, the AB's will be 5 times better in that area than the Blues, the backs offered nothing, I don't think there was one line break in 80 minutes.

Just now, Portland Bill said:

As was said during commentary, line outs and scrums don't win games in New Zealand.

TBH the lack of any player in the Lions to go past players is shocking. No guile at all, no X factor players.

Eight games to go and every one will be tougher than this one. The Lions have played the weakest two teams they will play and really struggled so far.

I can't see how the Lions can hope to beat teams with just keeping the ball tight around the rucks, the AB's will be 5 times better in that area than the Blues, the backs offered nothing, I don't think there was one line break in 80 minutes.

Two words: Rob Howley.

27 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Two words: Rob Howley.

Do you think the Lions have the players with the ability to breakdown NZ defences Michael ?

The Lions started well and on the front foot, but it just seems they have no game breakers at the level needed in NZ?

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Do you think the Lions have the players with the ability to breakdown NZ defences Michael ?

The Lions started well and on the front foot, but it just seems they have no game breakers at the level needed in NZ?

I was being a bit facetious there sure. 

However, yes I do, Ireland certainly sliced them up last year in Chicago.

The problem is that recent victories for England and Ireland over NZ have come with a settled side and coaching team. You can expect a scratch team like the Lions to be able to sort themselves out defensively and have a strong set piece, but asking a team a week off the plane to formulate coherent attacking plans is fanciful at best. Especially against NZ sides, as you say. It's the main reason I thought we'd struggle against the Super Rugby sides, never mind NZ.

Nowell was nowhere for the first try. I'm a fan of his but he was poor enough today. Halfpenny didn't seem particularly interested in making the tackle for the last try either. As much as I like him and hate hookers being hung out to dry for lineout failures, Best has to carry the can for that one at the end. It looked to me like he threw early and none of the lifters or jumpers looked particularly ready for it. Madness when you've got Itoje and O'Mahony to throw to, that should be clean ball all day against anyone.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

They do have a ridiculous amount of talent. It's more poundshop mind games to suggest that the Lions don't know all about their strength in depth and planned to beat NZ with nothing more than a set piece. They'll know they need more.

A NZ second 23 would beat most sides!

34 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

To be honest I think that's the right thing to do. You have to go with the guys who are signed up with the NZRU. The only Irish internationals who got picked whilst playing outside of Ireland I can think of are Sexton and Geordan Murphy. Munster and Ireland have just lost our best lock to Racing and he almost certainly won't be picked for Ireland again. It's probably the main reason we've been able to keep most of our internationals in Ireland.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I know awj makes a good captain but does anyone else find it a bit off that there's been three Welsh captains? 

Not really. I don't think there was a stand out choice for tour captain, I probably would have picked AWJ but Warburton has plenty of experience. The team yesterday didn't have much captaincy experience. If Best or O'Mahony had started then they might have got it, but Owens was the natural choice from that starting 15 having captained Scarlets for the last three years. I don't know if any of the other lads have much captaincy experience. CJ captained Munster last season while POM was out but I don't know about the others.

On 08/06/2017 at 12:34, JBFC II said:

Kind of pleased, imagine if he went and had a stormer with the all blacks, changed his mind and stayed!!

I don't that will happen regardless, he's already stated that the money he will earn at Bristol is life changing for him and his family.

Archived