IGNORED

Congratulations to the team that finished in 20th place with 47 points in 2014/15 - Brighton (Merged)

cityexile

Wasn't the last time they were part of the top flight in 1983 in the FA Cup Final year ?   Can't recall them being involved in the time since.

Guess if you've waited nearly 35 years for something, then it's well deserved when it comes along.    Think it was some 20 years ago when they nearly went out of business or something, it was the last season at the old Goldstone Ground, seem to remember a lot of problems during that season.

Should be some fun now they're part of the premier league and actually get to play Crystal Palace (there's something of a "rivalry" or real animosity between the two for some reason) and what happens when both sets of supporters clash next season, but take the opportunity to offer congratulations on today's promotion.    (Don't they have us to thank for it on today's results ? :whistle:)

12 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Wasn't the last time they were part of the top flight in 1983 in the FA Cup Final year ?   Can't recall them being involved in the time since.

Guess if you've waited nearly 35 years for something, then it's well deserved when it comes along.    Think it was some 20 years ago when they nearly went out of business or something, it was the last season at the old Goldstone Ground, seem to remember a lot of problems during that season.

Should be some fun now they're part of the premier league and actually get to play Crystal Palace (there's something of a "rivalry" or real animosity between the two for some reason) and what happens when both sets of supporters clash next season, but take the opportunity to offer congratulations on today's promotion.    (Don't they have us to thank for it on today's results ? :whistle:)

It's their nearest club, ergo they hate each the other. 

7 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why on Earth would I want to congratulate Brighton? 

I am fairly sure their chairman came to Bristol and gave "evidence" in support of our wish to build Ashton Vale.

Brighton had major problems in building the Amex. 

A decent thing to do in order to strength our claim.  

For that he and his team gets my respect. 

Stevo

47 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I am fairly sure their chairman came to Bristol and gave "evidence" in support of our wish to build Ashton Vale.

Stevo

It was their CEO I think but I agree with your point.

48 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Stevo

You are correct he did , and explained the benefits a new stadium can make to an area with proof as the Amex was up and running then .For that alone we should respect them and not only wish them well , but follow their journey with a vested interest as we try to follow suit.

8 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why on Earth would I want to congratulate Brighton? 

They are a decent football club who try to do the right thing .

Also Martin Perry came all the way from Brighton to support and speak for our application for the failed Ashton Vale project .

Plus I emailed him to thank him for his effort and he replied . Top bloke .

No need to be mealy mouthed .

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I wonder if they`ll think Sam is good enough for the prem or look to upgrade. I can see Murray moving on too and I still think it`s where Tammy will end up on loan next season - an ideal move for him, Brighton and Chelsea I would think.

Tammy to Brighton would be a good fit...would love Murray here but can't see it happening.

7 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Don't be patronising and don't tell me what to think. Whats wrong with using Brighton as a benchmark for what we could achieve if we got our house in gear? They are certainly no bigger a club than us, neither are the likes of Bournemouth or Swansea. If we arent looking to better ourselves and keep up with the Jones's then whats the point? 

You will need people running the club that understand football...that's clearly not so at the moment.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

They are a decent football club who try to do the right thing .

Also Martin Perry came all the way from Brighton to support and speak for our application for the failed Ashton Vale project .

Plus I emailed him to thank him for his effort and he replied . Top bloke .

No need to be mealy mouthed .

They have already taken 3 points off us this season, and will probably take another 3 points quite soon, why don't you email him best wishes for the next 3 points that will add to their total and confirm them as Champions?

Like I said we are just too soft, too nice,

Couldn't give a monkey's about them Martin Perry and his support for the failed Ashton Gate Project really, and neither should you,,,just weird.

Why don't you fire off an email to Lee, and thanking him for turning things around?

11 hours ago, cityexile said:

Brighton of course.

Good bounce back from disappointment last year, and shows it can be done without parachute payments. Sammy Baldock now in a Premiership side...

Now go win the title next week, let your hair down and get drunk for a week. Single biggest factor? Good management.

Love it, love it, if Newcastle ended up in the pray offs...

Yea that's the spirit, and 'Sammy' Baldock in the Prem.

You have really exiled yourself.:facepalm:

2 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

And the way Bristol city should follow.

The right way? If Bournemouth had been relegated they would have faced sanctions because off Financial Fair Play rules, they massively overspent to get promoted from the Championship, almost completely in transfer fees and wages, definitely not in infrastructure, Russian billionaire throwing money at the project. As for Brighton, plucky little Brighton? Their owner has spent £250,000,000 since he stepped in, it sounded even more when the commentator on the radio referred to is 'a quarter of a billion pounds'. The debt being carried, albeit in the name of their owners, is huge. Let's hope they don't lose interest when they get relegated.

3 hours ago, Bullbag said:

No congratulations from me.

Horrible fans, horrible club.

Every time I've been to a City v Brighton game I've always had aggro, and I didn't go looking for aggro either.

Shall never forget being punched in the face in the street as i was walking past some of their fans in Cardiff after play off final. 

And I was keeping myself to myself and never said a word. Completely unprovoked. A few times since I've had dogs abuse, including after this seasons game a AG.

Arrogant scumbags.

I like Chris Hughton, but I hope they go straight back down.

Sad to hear things like this.  I'm not surprised you dislike my club, I'd be the same if it was the other way round.

Thanks for all the congratulations from others though.  Personally, I'd say BHA and BC are very very similar clubs - a shared history of decent support who have spent too long in the lower leagues, but are finding their way to where they should be.  I can't speak for your club but certainly mine seems to be doing this the right way behind the scenes.  We've been *very* fortunate in having a rich fan as a benefactor, and he's spent £250m on facilities - new stadium and training complex, and I believe that is where your investment is going.  But whilst incredibly fortunate, that is not going against FFP which is all about curtailing player spending.  No infrastructure improvements count against FFP.  

Compare that to Bournemouth who spunked millions on players to get themselves over the line, but still play in a crappy 11,000 capacity shoebox.  When they go down, they're in trouble.  Looking forward to seeing the begging buckets out for them like they were for those tossers at Portsmouth.

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

They have already taken 3 points off us this season, and will probably take another 3 points quite soon, why don't you email him best wishes for the next 3 points that will add to their total and confirm them as Champions?

Like I said we are just too soft, too nice,

Couldn't give a monkey's about them Martin Perry and his support for the failed Ashton Gate Project really, and neither should you,,,just weird.

Why don't you fire off an email to Lee, and thanking him for turning things around?

What a  sad , bitter  little world you live in if you cannot acknowledge the achievements and generosity of others .

Archived