IGNORED

Harry Redknapp - New Birmingham Boss - Cotts his Assistant !!

BobBobSuperBob

21 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Barnsley are good and Brighton are very good

Barnsley are not what they were before selling their best players in January. There are no pushovers in this League but if we win the psychological battle ( i.e. we want it more than them ) then we should win.

It is a ' dead rubber ' for them so hopefully they'll have an eye on their holidays.

6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Reading the Birmingham forum they are saying that Paul Groves has left our academy to assist Redknapp & Cotts. Apologies if mentioned elsewhere..

Paul Groves left us some time ago.

It was announced March 2016: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-3019637.aspx and he was replaced a couple of days later: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/probert-appointed-academy-manager-3023498.aspx

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

in talks to sign Berbatov...

He should probably focus on this season...

41.7    Where any new registration or transfer of a Players is received by The League after 5pm on the fourth Thursday in March in each Season, that Player will not be eligible to play in any match organised by The League in that Season, except as permitted in Regulation 55 (Emergency Goalkeeper Loan). 

http://www.efl.com/global/section6.aspx

29 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but Harry's reason for taking the job?  He was bored at home .... 

Frankly I think Cotts will bring more ' to the table ' than ol'Arry. 

It's Cotts who will be fighting to get his career and reputation back on track. Shrewd move by the Blue noses .

4 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

If he doesn't keep Brum up he's not getting paid (at his insistence!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39644444

Interesting quote:-

"It's not that difficult to put together a good team in the Championship, if you know what you're doing. You can go out and pick up players, you haven't got to spend fortunes."

So, Harry Redknapp's view on Lee Johnson is: "he doesn't know what he's doing." 

5 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

If he doesn't keep Brum up he's not getting paid (at his insistence!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39644444

Interesting quote:-

"It's not that difficult to put together a good team in the Championship, if you know what you're doing. You can go out and pick up players, you haven't got to spend fortunes."

Says the man who has a reputation for ruining clubs by spending fortunes in the Premier League! Wonder how Pompey fans feel about that quote

16 hours ago, ploppy said:

Says the man who has a reputation for ruining clubs by spending fortunes in the Premier League! Wonder how Pompey fans feel about that quote

I don't quite understand this fixation with a manager, any manager, ruining a clubs finances. As far as I understand it, perhaps with the exception of Dario Gradi at Crewe as an example, the vast majority of managers are not holding the purse strings; have no shares in the club and do not write the cheques. A manager usually finds a player and puts it to the owner. It is down to the owner to say if he can afford him or not. Reading around the topic, because I wanted to follow up on your catalyst of a comment as so many draw the same conclusions, I found that the vast majority of Pompey fans seem to hold Harry in high regard; they were a nothing club until he arrived, had experienced virtually no success that I can recall since the 50's and here was a man who took them to the top flight, kept them there and, I believe on his second stint in 2008, won them the FA Cup. Its not his fault that the owners spent too much. An extract from the Guardian:-

"Everybody goes on about Pompey being in debt but that's nothing to do with me," he said. "It's to do with the people who handle the finances. If you can't afford a player, they shouldn't buy him. I'll say to Daniel Levy [the Tottenham chairman], 'Can we afford Roque Santa Cruz in the summer?' and he'll say, 'I've checked him out, his wages are too high for us'. OK, fine. That's how football works. We're only football coaches, we pick the players but we have no input into wages or negotiations."

Some of Redknapp's signings at Portsmouth were resold for big profits, most notably Sulley Muntari, Lassana Diarra, Jermain Defoe and Glen Johnson. "If they hadn't have had such an astute manager, who was good in the transfer market, they would've been skint, because there was no money coming in from the owner [Sacha Gaydamak]," Redknapp said. "The only thing that kept them going was the buying and selling of players." 

After his first stint at Pompey in which Mandaric sacked him he received horrendous abuse from Pompey fans mainly because he went to Southampton. I know a friend of his who told me that he did not want to move or travel long distances at the time and Southampton came calling. He did not want to leave Pompey. It did not go well at Saints as we know and some Pompey fans threatened him continually. The guy has given huge sums of money to a Cancer charity, the one that killed Bobby Moore, and certainly gets a bad rap in the game that he does not deserve; nobody deserves that kind of abuse frankly.

I like characters like this in the game I really do; far too few of them. We will rue the day when all of the old school have departed and been replaced, largely, by boring Johny foreigners.

4 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

I work with a blues fan lives in WSM follows them everywhere went to Norwich Saturday and Leeds last night reckons Harry's the best thing since sliced bread.

He always says what the fans want to hear.

Not sure that the players respond so well to being told they aren't good enough, they lack character or they're lazy.  It's clearly not going well on the pitch at the moment despite some significant signings.  If he is relieved of his duties, he'll trot out the same old excuses of not enough time and forces within the club working against him.  Heard it all before.  He's a likeable bloke in many ways but he's a chancer.

10 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

I work with a blues fan lives in WSM follows them everywhere went to Norwich Saturday and Leeds last night reckons Harry's the best thing since sliced bread.

........ that's sliced bread that has been in the bread bin for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

and to think he said ''after the transfer window we'll have a much stronger squad, and i'm confident we'll finish top 6''

hahaha

I presume that's top 6 in league 1 next season?

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The real head scratcher is that people actually wanted him here!

Really?  I've heard calls for Warnock and I tend to agree but having seen how 'Arry has performed recently, particularly at QPR, I can't see why anyone would want him here.

Where he gets success it's by attracting players by paying double the wages that any other club would pay and that hasn't ended well at club after club.

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Really?  I've heard calls for Warnock and I tend to agree but having seen how 'Arry has performed recently, particularly at QPR, I can't see why anyone would want him here.

Where he gets success it's by attracting players by paying double the wages that any other club would pay and that hasn't ended well at club after club.

I still can't believe he actually still manages to sell gullible chairmen the dream of the promised land. He could make a killing as a used car salesman. 

Regarding last night's defeat at Leeds:

Birmingham manager Harry Redknapp:

"We completely dominated the second half. It was one-way traffic, wasn't it?

"We just couldn't get a break when we needed it and then obviously, we're pushing six forwards up the pitch to try and get a goal and you get done on the counter-attack.

"I've got a new team. I changed a team that wasn't good enough, but I didn't get them in for the start of the season. People need to be patient. They've got players here now who can take them on to another level."

Exactly. League One, Harry.

Archived