IGNORED

Harry Redknapp - New Birmingham Boss - Cotts his Assistant !!

BobBobSuperBob

I don't suppose Redknapp is bothered what City fans think about Redknapp, but some of the comments about him are odd.

A quick reference to Wiki confirms he took Bournemouth from relegation places when he took over to a league title with a record number of points the season after.

He took West Ham to their highest ever finish (bringing through Lampard, Carrick, Cole and Ferdinand while doing so).

He then took Portsmouth from lower half to promotion to the Premiership (replacing West Ham!).

After a blip at Southampton (falling out with then chairman Rupert Lowe, who I know from a few meetings to be an unreasonable tosser so Redknapp has my sympathy), Redknapp returned to Portsmouth, taking them from near bottom to a ninth place finish and FA Cup victory.

Then on to Spurs, who had 2 points from 8 games when Rednapp took over, and he took them to an 8th finish, and League Cup final. Then into the Champions League, reaching the quarter finals. And Manager of the Season.

QPR were on 4 points from 12 games when Redknapp took over, and although he could not prevent the drop to the Championship, he took QPR immediately back to the Premiership the season after that.

There aren't many managers with a better track record!

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

I don't suppose Redknapp is bothered what City fans think about Redknapp, but some of the comments about him are odd.

A quick reference to Wiki confirms he took Bournemouth from relegation places when he took over to a league title with a record number of points the season after.

He took West Ham to their highest ever finish (bringing through Lampard, Carrick, Cole and Ferdinand while doing so).

He then took Portsmouth from lower half to promotion to the Premiership (replacing West Ham!).

After a blip at Southampton (falling out with then chairman Rupert Lowe, who I know from a few meetings to be an unreasonable tosser so Redknapp has my sympathy), Redknapp returned to Portsmouth, taking them from near bottom to a ninth place finish and FA Cup victory.

Then on to Spurs, who had 2 points from 8 games when Rednapp took over, and he took them to an 8th finish, and League Cup final. Then into the Champions League, reaching the quarter finals. And Manager of the Season.

QPR were on 4 points from 12 games when Redknapp took over, and although he could not prevent the drop to the Championship, he took QPR immediately back to the Premiership the season after that.

His record is good but he's like the packaging on food. No matter how good the food is, it has a use by date, after which it's downhill all the way. Some  football managers are the same and he's past his use by date 

44 minutes ago, SuperFly2002 said:

He's a good manager, but an has out of date coaching methods. He really needs a good back room staff behind him or he will struggle. I predict he will be toast by Christmas with Cotts odds on to replace him. 

He's not really known as a coach, he's always had much the same group of coaches around him, with Kevin Bond seemingly the de facto head coach.

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

His record is good but he's like the packaging on food. No matter how good the food is, it has a use by date, after which it's downhill all the way. Some  football managers are the same and he's past his use by date 

No evidence of that unless its 12 games at Birmingham after a successful career of over 600 games.

4 hours ago, SuperFly2002 said:

He's a good manager, but an has out of date coaching methods. He really needs a good back room staff behind him or he will struggle. I predict he will be toast by Christmas with Cotts odds on to replace him. 

Yes I have good reason to believe Cotts may replace him, but there is absolutely no substance in a statement that his coaching methods are out of date.

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

He's not really known as a coach, he's always had much the same group of coaches around him, with Kevin Bond seemingly the de facto head coach.

That's not correct, he's had several trusted lieutenants, but even if it were true, Redknapp's managerial record is surpassed by very few, part of the art of management is to surround yourself with good people.

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

No evidence of that unless its 12 games at Birmingham after a successful career of over 600 games.

Yes I have good reason to believe Cotts may replace him, but there is absolutely no substance in a statement that his coaching methods are out of date.

That's not correct, he's had several trusted lieutenants, but even if it were true, Redknapp's managerial record is surpassed by very few, part of the art of management is to surround yourself with good people.

That will be Flint gone to Brum in January then!

20 hours ago, NickJ said:

His record - ratio of wins, draws and losses throughout his career - is about as identical as it can get to a certain Lee Johnson. 

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

His record - ratio of wins, draws and losses throughout his career - is about as identical as it can get to a certain Lee Johnson. 

And if it's still similar after LJ has managed another 1100 games, he'll have done well.

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nice line if it were correct, but it isn't.

Redknapp 40% win rate mainly top 2 divisions.

Johnson 37% win rate mainly 3rd tier.

And I don't think LJ has quite the same record of promotions, cup success, and significantly improving clubs positions.

19 hours ago, NickJ said:

Harry's career has been built on spending vast amounts of cash. As manager of Portsmouth, Southampton, Tottenham and QPR, Redknapp spent £107.8m in January transfer windows between 2003 and 2015. That was more than  Arsenal and Manchester United  spent in the same amount of time. Arsenal and United spent a total of £87m and £96.8m respectively in January windows, as only Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and Spurs have bigger collective January spends than Redknapp. Redknapp's cumulative spending in these January windows dwarfs what Burnley and Swansea City spent in their entire history to 2015 .

Harry's performance began to go downhill during his time at QPR. In his first season the club was relegated from the Premier League, though he did inherit a poor team. During his second season QPR had an astronomical budget but could only finish fourth, with 11 teams in the league scoring more goals than them. At the Wembley playoff final QPR  won due to a Bobby Zamora goal, but was Harry over the moon? He was quoted as saying  “With 10 minutes to go I was thinking ‘What golf club should I join this year? Should I play here or there?’ and then suddenly Bobby ruined it all.”  Maybe a joke but hardly the words of a manager committed to his job. In his third season, he left QPR in the relegation zone with 19 points from 23 games, stating that he needed knee surgery!

19 hours ago, NickJ said:

Nice line if it were correct, but it isn't.

Redknapp 40% win rate mainly top 2 divisions.

Johnson 37% win rate mainly 3rd tier.

And I don't think LJ has quite the same record of promotions, cup success, and significantly improving clubs positions.

Johnsons win ratio is actually better at 2nd tier than 3rd tier surprisingly. 

17 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Harry's career has been built on spending vast amounts of cash. As manager of Portsmouth, Southampton, Tottenham and QPR, Redknapp spent £107.8m in January transfer windows between 2003 and 2015. That was more than  Arsenal and Manchester United  spent in the same amount of time. Arsenal and United spent a total of £87m and £96.8m respectively in January windows, as only Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and Spurs have bigger collective January spends than Redknapp. Redknapp's cumulative spending in these January windows dwarfs what Burnley and Swansea City spent in their entire history to 2015 .

Harry's performance began to go downhill during his time at QPR. In his first season the club was relegated from the Premier League, though he did inherit a poor team. During his second season QPR had an astronomical budget but could only finish fourth, with 11 teams in the league scoring more goals than them. At the Wembley playoff final QPR  won due to a Bobby Zamora goal, but was Harry over the moon? He was quoted as saying  “With 10 minutes to go I was thinking ‘What golf club should I join this year? Should I play here or there?’ and then suddenly Bobby ruined it all.”  Maybe a joke but hardly the words of a manager committed to his job. In his third season, he left QPR in the relegation zone with 19 points from 23 games, stating that he needed knee surgery!

Well at least LJ is trying to keep up on the spending front. If he has the same win ratio after 1100 games as Glyn R says it will be interesting to see what his spending tally looks like then as a true comparison.

On 13/09/2017 at 15:23, NickJ said:

Bournemouth shortly went into financial meltdown after 'Arry left.... could be a one off,

West Ham, finances were looking a bit weak after 'Arry left luckily new owners came in to sort it out, coincidence?

Pompey, We all know the struggle they had with finances.... after 'Arry left, something is familiar but I can't put my finger on it....

Southampton, Financial blip saw 2 relegations after 'Arry left again luckily they found a new owner and they rose the leagues again... I think I've found the common theme... 

Spurs, if Levy wasn't in charge and they didn't have the large financial backing then they could've fallen... but I'll let you have that one, put in place good foundations where they have built on from his tenure, can't say that about the above who have suffered from FA fines and relegations shortly after 'Arry left, clubs sorting out the s#%t they were left with after 1 or 2 seasons of fame.

Finally, QPR who are still papering the cracks of what 'Arry done to them, players on extremely high wages who are not attractive for other clubs to buy meaning they sit on their £20,000+ P/W for 3 seasons whilst playing in the ressies.

So morale of the story! For one season of absolute ecstasy and joy followed by (in pompeys case) 7 years of heartache and worrying if your club will survive he's the best manager around, if you ask any of those clubs to have him back what d'ya reckon they'll say?

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Bournemouth shortly went into financial meltdown after 'Arry left.... could be a one off,

West Ham, finances were looking a bit weak after 'Arry left luckily new owners came in to sort it out, coincidence?

Pompey, We all know the struggle they had with finances.... after 'Arry left, something is familiar but I can't put my finger on it....

Southampton, Financial blip saw 2 relegations after 'Arry left again luckily they found a new owner and they rose the leagues again... I think I've found the common theme... 

Spurs, if Levy wasn't in charge and they didn't have the large financial backing then they could've fallen... but I'll let you have that one, put in place good foundations where they have built on from his tenure, can't say that about the above who have suffered from FA fines and relegations shortly after 'Arry left, clubs sorting out the s#%t they were left with after 1 or 2 seasons of fame.

Finally, QPR who are still papering the cracks of what 'Arry done to them, players on extremely high wages who are not attractive for other clubs to buy meaning they sit on their £20,000+ P/W for 3 seasons whilst playing in the ressies.

So morale of the story! For one season of absolute ecstasy and joy followed by (in pompeys case) 7 years of heartache and worrying if your club will survive he's the best manager around, if you ask any of those clubs to have him back what d'ya reckon they'll say?

er, "No thank you 'Arry sir" or "Fock off"   i'm going for the latter.

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I'd say Portsmouth did have him back.

I'd also say that in the first spell at Portsmouth his transfers out brought in more than he spent in the first 2 seasons (including buying Crouch for £2m and selling him a season later for £6m) and in the third season when he did spend more (£10m in total) he delivered what was asked, ie keeping Pompey in the Premier having got them there in the first place.

In his second spell at Portsmouth again spending was subdued in the first 2 seasons, then rocketed in the third, presumably financed by the Premiership riches which his management had brought about, and he delivered the FA Cup.

At West Ham he relied to a large extent on the aforementioned that came through the youth system there.

He wasn't at Southampton long enough to be held responsible for what went on there, they were already on the slide with an idiot chairman.

Notwithstanding whatever the transfer fees were, "Arry did not sign the cheques and presumably didn't hold a gun against anyones head to do so - he was given money to spend and from his successes at Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth and Spurs, evidently spent it well. His turnaround at Spurs was remarkable.

Finally, all of the top managers and the top clubs spend a lot more than they get back in from transfers. Redknapp has never been at a top top club, Spurs were not that before he went there, his record if you look closely, prior to Spurs, was to build good teams from minimal outlay and only spend bigger when his own success had brought about additional revenue.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

I'd say Portsmouth did have him back.

I'd also say that in the first spell at Portsmouth his transfers out brought in more than he spent in the first 2 seasons (including buying Crouch for £2m and selling him a season later for £6m) and in the third season when he did spend more (£10m in total) he delivered what was asked, ie keeping Pompey in the Premier having got them there in the first place.

In his second spell at Portsmouth again spending was subdued in the first 2 seasons, then rocketed in the third, presumably financed by the Premiership riches which his management had brought about, and he delivered the FA Cup.

At West Ham he relied to a large extent on the aforementioned that came through the youth system there.

He wasn't at Southampton long enough to be held responsible for what went on there, they were already on the slide with an idiot chairman.

Notwithstanding whatever the transfer fees were, "Arry did not sign the cheques and presumably didn't hold a gun against anyones head to do so - he was given money to spend and from his successes at Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth and Spurs, evidently spent it well. His turnaround at Spurs was remarkable.

Finally, all of the top managers and the top clubs spend a lot more than they get back in from transfers. Redknapp has never been at a top top club, Spurs were not that before he went there, his record if you look closely, prior to Spurs, was to build good teams from minimal outlay and only spend bigger when his own success had brought about additional revenue.

Is this a joke? 'Arry is a dinosaur who doesn't do any coaching and apparently doesn't even have that much tactical nous.   All he does is play the media and people seem to buy the narrative that he's some sort of messiah. He's being found out this year so I fully expect his knee to start hurting again.  So glad he's nowehere near our club!

On 9/13/2017 at 08:59, NickJ said:

Wouldn't bet against Cotts replacing him.

On 9/14/2017 at 00:31, NickJ said:

Yes I have good reason to believe Cotts may replace him

A few quid on that would have been good......

Good luck to Cotts, massively didn't deserve the way it ended here.

Archived