IGNORED

That's class

Red Army 75

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Couldn't agree more. 

I never get the mentality of groaning when the team play the ball backwards - you get taught in u7s about ball retention and keeping the ball moving. These same people probably clap when a defender heads the ball back to their GK with no one around them. :facepalm:

Think that's because over the years we've seen numerous City sides who knock it around at the back (Seemingly without an understanding of why ) for 5/6 passes before a centre half finally punts the ball 60 yards up the pitch !!!!

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think that's because over the years we've seen numerous City sides who knock it around at the back (Seemingly without an understanding of why ) for 5/6 passes before a centre half finally punts the ball 60 yards up the pitch !!!!

Yep, that tended to happen under SOD an awful lot.

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Great goal, wouldn't be allowed to happen at Ashton gate as a lot of people would've been fed up after the 4th pass and start shouting to lump it long...(The same people who would then moan when we lose the ball straight away...)

It was "allowed to happen" v QPR just four days ago, on Friday. At Ashton Gate. Ended with Pack to Taylor, to Paterson, goal. 

6 hours ago, shelts said:

Keeping the ball is good. Sometimes we get it in the attacking third and pass our way back to the keeper when pressed. I can see we don't want to force it but it does my head in when the keeper then hoofs it creating a fifty fifty in the air. Making progress I can see it. No need for a long hoof . Belief and better players .

We seem to play the best when we pass it around and stop the hoofing.... I cannot wait to get some proper fullbacks . Although Little has been very improved of late but way too injury prone. It seems we play the best footy when we work as a team and keep a consistent team. I really hope LJ has learnt this , for next season....

8 hours ago, shelts said:

Keeping the ball is good. Sometimes we get it in the attacking third and pass our way back to the keeper when pressed. I can see we don't want to force it but it does my head in when the keeper then hoofs it creating a fifty fifty in the air. Making progress I can see it. No need for a long hoof . Belief and better players .

I agree, I think the problem has been that people are too static once they release the ball. In this move and the one on Friday, players released the ball then moved to a different position to receive it again, all the while creating angles for the next passer. I know it sounds simple and no doubt someone will come on here and tell us it's not rocket science etc., but there aren't many teams that can do it well and consistently and at a pace that can cause problems. 

Players have to trust each other, not only to move and be available, but also to cover in case the move breaks down. I have always said that the best thing about LJ as a player was being "the available man", meaning when a team mate had run out of options he was there for the pass, I think Pack and Korey both have that ability in the current team, in these moves, all 11 players have been "available". I hope this is a sign of the future.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

How many touches did Pack get in that move? 

I know there was a break in the move on Friday, but that goal was even more impressive in a way, as it had appeared to have broken down when it went back to Frankie. Does anyone know how many touches there were in that? 

6 touches from Pack. 8 from Patterson. That's 14 of the 31 from just 2 players. 

It's been no surprise to me that having these 2 starting every week has been a big influence in our recent upturn in form. 

Only outfield player not involved was Bryan. I've mentioned before how our possession often breaks down when it gets to him. The fact he never got involved in this one probably has some bearing on us keeping it longer. 

Next least touches was Flint (1) and he is often guilty of hoofing it. So again, not involving Flint & Bryan ensured better possession. 

Great goal. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, I think the problem has been that people are too static once they release the ball. In this move and the one on Friday, players released the ball then moved to a different position to receive it again, all the while creating angles for the next passer. I know it sounds simple and no doubt someone will come on here and tell us it's not rocket science etc., but there aren't many teams that can do it well and consistently and at a pace that can cause problems. 

Players have to trust each other, not only to move and be available, but also to cover in case the move breaks down. I have always said that the best thing about LJ as a player was being "the available man", meaning when a team mate had run out of options he was there for the pass, I think Pack and Korey both have that ability in the current team, in these moves, all 11 players have been "available". I hope this is a sign of the future.

Spot on sir 

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Totally agree, I've said many times. You don't have to be a talented footballer to pass a ball 10 yards, anyone can do that. The real football is the movement to make it easy for the man in possession , and give him options. 
When Wade came in a few years ago, he was PSR THAT man , always available. He would then move it to a Red shirt and again be there as an option.
I think it helps that we (at last) have had some sort of run, it brings confidence. Then , instead of hiding they are actively looking to get the ball. The two goals (Paterson QPR and Tammy B'burn) show that the short passing can drag teams out of position and make space for runners. Very little of this has been happening for most of the season, or when it has the brittle confidence has been quickly shattered and we revert to panic mode.
If we could do this consistently then next season , even with LJ in charge (sorry had to), we may have the year we thought we would this.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

6 touches from Pack. 8 from Patterson. That's 14 of the 31 from just 2 players. 

It's been no surprise to me that having these 2 starting every week has been a big influence in our recent upturn in form. 

Only outfield player not involved was Bryan. I've mentioned before how our possession often breaks down when it gets to him. The fact he never got involved in this one probably has some bearing on us keeping it longer. 

Next least touches was Flint (1) and he is often guilty of hoofing it. So again, not involving Flint & Bryan ensured better possession. 

Great goal. 

Archived