IGNORED

Alcohol in stands and officious stewards

Nongazeuse

My two daughters (aged in 20s) attended Friday's match, one for the first time in several years.

They both took a glass of cider into the seats in the Lower Dolman stand and were shouted at by a very officious steward and told they were not allowed to bring alcohol to the seats.  He also got very angry with other people doing the same thing.

Is this actually banned?  I have done this myself in the past and indeed one daughter had been to the rugby earlier this year and not been harangued or prevented from doing so.

If this is not permitted then it seems odd to market drinks so openly.  Is coffee or tea allowed in as well?

Whatever the rules I think the steward in question needs some training in basic manners - at least one of my girls was upset enough not to want to return to Ashton Gate.

Just now, Nongazeuse said:

My two daughters (aged in 20s) attended Friday's match, one for the first time in several years.

They both took a glass of cider into the seats in the Lower Dolman stand and were shouted at by a very officious steward and told they were not allowed to bring alcohol to the seats.  He also got very angry with other people doing the same thing.

Is this actually banned?  I have done this myself in the past and indeed one daughter had been to the rugby earlier this year and not been harangued or prevented from doing so.

If this is not permitted then it seems odd to market drinks so openly.  Is coffee or tea allowed in as well?

Whatever the rules I think the steward in question needs some training in basic manners - at least one of my girls was upset enough not to want to return to Ashton Gate.

Mate,there are ways and means of doing things-should have walked over and quietly put them 'in the picture, absolutely no excuses.

If you have the time & energy should be reported.

Pretty well known that you can't take drinks into the stands with you and stewards should have been positioned to stop it getting as far as it did with these ladies who were simply doing what is allowed at rugby.

If the club wants to attract new fans then they need to allow for people not knowing everything.

6 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Stewards are there to do a job. It's says in the concourse that alcohol must not be in view of the pitch. You're the one in the wrong.

Just now, JasonM88 said:

Stewards are there to do a job. It's says in the concourse that alcohol must not be in view of the pitch. You're the one in the wrong.

But manners cost nothing. The steward should of just quietly pointed it out and  asked politely that they returned to the concourse with the drinks.  Shouting at and making a scene is not called for. 

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

There is nothing wrong with a bit of politeness though while doing your job

7 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I have been to at least a dozen matches since the rebuild and have never noticed - I knew that there was a ban some years ago on selling alcohol at AG hence no bars generally available.  I assumed that this rule had been rescinded hence the plethora of drinks outlets available in the new build.

My daughters (who weren't with me as I was in SS) are just occasional punters and had no idea at all about such draconian laws. 

Personally, I have a pint at the Rose of Denmark beforehand - I certainly won't be rushing to the ground early to risk the wrath of some jobsworth in future.

28 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

The steward was probably perplexed they didn't know alcohol wasn't allowed in the seats. It hasn't been allowed for decades:blink: 

3 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

I have been to at least a dozen matches since the rebuild and have never noticed - I knew that there was a ban some years ago on selling alcohol at AG hence no bars generally available.  I assumed that this rule had been rescinded hence the plethora of drinks outlets available in the new build.

My daughters (who weren't with me as I was in SS) are just occasional punters and had no idea at all about such draconian laws. 

Personally, I have a pint at the Rose of Denmark beforehand - I certainly won't be rushing to the ground early to risk the wrath of some jobsworth in future.

It's not jobsworth. If other people who don't know the rules (are there even any?..) see you and your daughters with a pint then maybe they'd try to do the same. The steward was doing his job.

The link someone provided- I especially liked this bit, could someone explain it to me?

Not content with relying on it being illegal to drink on a minibus or coach, the Traffic Commissioner guidelines say that if you want to have a drink at a pub on your way to a game, you must notify the police of this and only drink alcohol if it accompanies a substantial meal! I mean, when else can you be patronised into the middle of next season unless you’re a football fan?

Notifying the police of a drink? Substantial meal? Had no meal of any kind until sometime after 6 at Charlton away last year! :laugh:

I went by train though, which may explain it who knows.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The link someone provided- I especially liked this bit, could someone explain it to me?

Notifying the police of a drink? Substantial meal? Had no meal of any kind until sometime after 6 at Charlton away last year! :laugh:

I went by train though, which may explain it who knows.

Yes, if you go by train, you can drink.

If you go by coach which is organised specifically to attend a football match, then the Traffic Commission guidelines apply and the operator is responsible for informing police of the stop location.

21 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Nothing jobs worth about it. It's a nationwide law at football, and clubs have got into trouble when not following this law. There's a reason why the blinds close in the exectuvive box when the games on. Not even the poshies are allowed to do it.

20 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It's not jobsworth. If other people who don't know the rules (are there even any?..) see you and your daughters with a pint then maybe they'd try to do the same. The steward was doing his job.

No he wasn't. If the account by the OP is correct (no reason to doubt it) then the jobsworth didn't have to shout at two customers.

If I made a genuine mistake and was addressed that way I would take a dim view of it.

Some stewards are absolute cocks unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Nothing jobs worth about it. It's a nationwide law at football, and clubs have got into trouble when not following this law. There's a reason why the blinds close in the exectuvive box when the games on. Not even the poshies are allowed to do it.

Maybe not jobsworth but from what wad said certainly over zealous approach.  I wonder if he would of shouted at a group of lads the same probably not. Ad I said before manners cost nowt.  

1 minute ago, stevep38 said:

Maybe not jobsworth but from what wad said certainly over zealous approach.  I wonder if he would of shouted at a group of lads the same probably not. Ad I said before manners cost nowt.  

Unfortunately Steve because of the risk of banning orders some stewards really do behave very provocatively towards males also and wouldn't last long outside of the stadium if they adopted that approach in everyday life.

By no means do a majority of stewards behave that way, but unless someone was doing something that placed other people at risk there is no justification for shouting at or speaking down to a customer.

26 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If you go by coach which is organised specifically to attend a football match, then the Traffic Commission guidelines apply and the operator is responsible for informing police of the stop location.

I never knew that rule, a real eye opener of how football fans are put upon I guess. Specifically about the drink rule.

28 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Does beer on a coach only apply to coaches organised by the club or can you hire a minibus, fill it with your mates and a crate of cider and go to an away match?

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Basic manners mate,that's all he's asking for- I'm sure you actually understand that in reality. 

Or do you think shouting at these ladies acceptable??

Just now, Septic Peg said:

Does beer on a coach only apply to coaches organised by the club or can you hire a minibus, fill it with your mates and a crate of cider and go to an away match?

It applies to a "public service vehicle" which "is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." The only such designated sporting events are football matches.

In the event of a hired minibus carrying you and your mates only, I think this is fine. But if you have a driver paid for the role, this appears to cross the boundary since the vehicle is being operated by a PSV (with the relevant licensing requirements being applied).

It also includes trains where they are "being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." So a football special would have alcohol prohibited but a trip from Bristol to Birmingham on a train that is running routinely from Penzance to Aberdeen is not restricted.

DISCLAIMER (I'm taking no chances!): I'm not a lawyer, so please don't consider this to be formal legal advice. If in doubt, please seek professional legal advice. etc

Archived