IGNORED

Alcohol in stands and officious stewards

Nongazeuse

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

It applies to a "public service vehicle" which "is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." The only such designated sporting events are football matches.

In the event of a hired minibus carrying you and your mates only, I think this is fine. But if you have a driver paid for the role, this appears to cross the boundary since the vehicle is being operated by a PSV (with the relevant licensing requirements being applied).

It also includes trains where they are "being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." So a football special would have alcohol prohibited but a trip from Bristol to Birmingham on a train that is running routinely from Penzance to Aberdeen is not restricted.

DISCLAIMER (I'm taking no chances!): I'm not a lawyer, so please don't consider this to be formal legal advice. If in doubt, please seek professional legal advice. etc

Thanks VFTD. Hubby has a PCV/PSV/D licence so all good on the driver front should the need ever arise! Technically he also holds a publican licence too but can't sell beer from the back of a minibus...

Anacdotally, I was once stood in the Wimbledon end at Rovers (them gert Teds do get in there!) and was caught drinking a heavily infused bottle of coke - with a lid on it.  The polite steward informed me I was not allowed to do that and preceded to poor the contents into a plastic container.  It only really annoyed me because I was pushed into a situation of downing about 10 doubles like it was a pint.  I couldn't be arsed to hold onto it.  Life of an alcoholic, eh?

re the weird rule of not drinking in view of the pitch at football, I don't understand the logic of it.

re your daughter's experience, why anyone is rude to an obviously innocent/naive person says something about their own state.  Sadly, these people tend to be attracted to jobs in low level authority.

1 hour ago, Nongazeuse said:

I have been to at least a dozen matches since the rebuild and have never noticed - I knew that there was a ban some years ago on selling alcohol at AG hence no bars generally available.  I assumed that this rule had been rescinded hence the plethora of drinks outlets available in the new build.

My daughters (who weren't with me as I was in SS) are just occasional punters and had no idea at all about such draconian laws. 

Personally, I have a pint at the Rose of Denmark beforehand - I certainly won't be rushing to the ground early to risk the wrath of some jobsworth in future.

The stewards are not jobsworths. It has been the law that you can't drink in view of the pitch for approx 20 years. The stewards get a lot of flack for doing what they are paid to do - i e enforce the rules that apply to spectators. I've never had a problem with this and found that they apply a lot of common sense. If they were jobsworths the attendance would be reduced by 50% as it's an offence to be drunk when entering a stadium

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The stewards are not jobsworths. It has been the law that you can't drink in view of the pitch for approx 20 years. The stewards get a lot of flack for doing what they are paid to do - i e enforce the rules that apply to spectators. I've never had a problem with this and found that they apply a lot of common sense. If they were jobsworths the attendance would be reduced by 50% as it's an offence to be drunk when entering a stadium

You get good cops and bad cops.  The good guys often are the bad guys in the eyes of the law.

The thing with the law or the system is it is not ameanable or has enough discretion for basic humanity or to handle individual cases appropriately.

The case of the OP handled humanely would involve: "ladies, you can't do that, move back to the concourse".   Inhumanely, you have a stressed out power freak prompting to the OP posting.

There are some really moronic posts on this thread. Its never OK for people employed by the club to be rude and unpleasant to paying customers for making an innocent mistake. (Even in this case where it is a very naive mistake). Have a think about what would happen in your job if you shouted at one of your customers. I know what would happen to me, and rightfully so.

A potential new fan has an unpleasant confrontation with a rude official and doesnt want to come back... Is this something we really want?

Yes yes, stewards are there to do a job but how about they do their job in a civil respectful manner like the rest of us do?

7 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

You get good cops and bad cops.  The good guys often are the bad guys in the eyes of the law.

The thing with the law or the system is it is not ameanable or has enough discretion for basic humanity or to handle individual cases appropriately.

The case of the OP handled humanely would involve: "ladies, you can't do that, move back to the concourse".   Inhumanely, you have a stressed out power freak prompting to the OP posting.

This is typical of threads about stewards. The OP didn't witness the event so he heard about it second hand. It's then posted on the forum, so we hear about it third hand. We don't know what was actually said, or the way it was said other than it was said in a load voice, yet you have decided that the steward was a stressed out power freak! Normally people are innocent until proven guilty, but this doesn't apply to stewards.

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This is typical of threads about stewards. The OP didn't witness the event so he heard about it second hand. It's then posted on the forum, so we hear about it third hand. We don't know what was actually said, or the way it was said other than it was said in a load voice, yet you have decided that the steward was a stressed out power freak! Normally people are innocent until proven guilty, but this doesn't apply to stewards.

Firstly, I see no reason to assume that the OPs daughters have lied about or heavily exaggerated the incident. Secondly, you say that people often assume the worst about stewards? Well, theres no smoke without fire as they say. I'm sure that most of us could recall a story where a low level official has been rude and unpleasant to us, which makes the OPs story easy to believe.

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This is typical of threads about stewards. The OP didn't witness the event so he heard about it second hand. It's then posted on the forum, so we hear about it third hand. We don't know what was actually said, or the way it was said other than it was said in a load voice, yet you have decided that the steward was a stressed out power freak! Normally people are innocent until proven guilty, but this doesn't apply to stewards.

Guilty as charged and I'll retract the statement.

In my experience, which is pretty vast having followed City over 20 odd years up and down the country; stewards tend to be as I have stated.  Some good on some days in some situations, some not good.  I had no reason to not take the OP at face value given my own experience.

I have an associate who is a steward at AG and at Gas, it is not personal or agendered.  I have, as stated, had positive interactions with stewards.

I'm pretty much booing rude behaviour (if it happened, and generally) and endorsing polite behaviour, esp in roles dealing with the public.

Is this not fair on a thread regarding stewarding at AG?

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Firstly, I see no reason to assume that the OPs daughters have lied about or heavily exaggerated the incident. Secondly, you say that people often assume the worst about stewards? Well, theres no smoke without fire as they say. I'm sure that most of us could recall a story where a low level official has been rude and unpleasant to us, which makes the OPs story easy to believe.

I'm not making any comment on the OPs situation, but the highlighted bit above is really a non-point.

There are quite a few stewards at a game, and most on here will have been to hundreds of matches, already we are saying "I'm sure most of use could recall a story where one person out of thousands has been rude and unpleasant."

Then add in that fans outnumber the stewards by the tens/hundreds depending on the ground and attendance. So one steward being perceived as rude or unpleasant (even if the person on the receiving end is fully deserving of it) will be witnessed by several. Not all of those who witness it would know the full events, so some of them would then claim it to be unjust. 

And so on. 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The  stewards have a hard job to do.

if he or she went up to your two girls in their seats they would of had to make people around them move and this some times will make a bigger seen 

did they not see 20000 other people not drinking in the stands ?

18 minutes ago, 22A said:

Unless you are in a VIP box?

Still not allowed, even through the window. If you shut the curtains you're fine.

The world's insane, however after being to rugby I don't want drinking in the stands, constantly having to stand up to let a load of hooray's in and out to get rounds in.  Went to Twickenham and saw hardly any of the game at all.

3 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Nothing jobs worth about it. It's a nationwide law at football, and clubs have got into trouble when not following this law. There's a reason why the blinds close in the exectuvive box when the games on. Not even the poshies are allowed to do it.

I was fortunate to get invited into a box at Newcastle a few weeks back: we were not allowed to drink in the seats, but no steward made any issue about me standing in the open doorway of the box watching the game whilst I was getting stuck into the free bar.

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Thanks VFTD. Hubby has a PCV/PSV/D licence so all good on the driver front should the need ever arise! Technically he also holds a publican licence too but can't sell beer from the back of a minibus...

Is that because he tends to spill it, or is it just a pain giving out change doing 70 in the outside lane?

9 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I was fortunate to get invited into a box at Newcastle a few weeks back: we were not allowed to drink in the seats, but no steward made any issue about me standing in the open doorway of the box watching the game whilst I was getting stuck into the free bar.

Not legal but some stewards let it go in exec boxes as long as you don't make it too obvious to the great unwashed in the stands.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Still not allowed, even through the window. If you shut the curtains you're fine.

The world's insane, however after being to rugby I don't want drinking in the stands, constantly having to stand up to let a load of hooray's in and out to get rounds in.  Went to Twickenham and saw hardly any of the game at all.

I don't know why anyone would go to rugby other than to drink. It's certainly not football.

3 hours ago, mixer13 said:

Is the ladies football the same ,no drinking in the stands ???

just a thought as was thinking of hanging around and watching it after the Barnsley game 

The events are designated by statutory instruments. The 2005 designations were:

1.  Association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Football Association Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory.

2.  Association football matches in competition for the Football Association Cup (other than in a preliminary or qualifying round).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/3204/schedule/2/made

There have been a couple of amendments since to update a reference to the Scottish Professional Football League.

I certainly can't find any reference to FAWSL matches and this looks to have been confirmed by @Mkelly.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not making any comment on the OPs situation, but the highlighted bit above is really a non-point.

There are quite a few stewards at a game, and most on here will have been to hundreds of matches, already we are saying "I'm sure most of use could recall a story where one person out of thousands has been rude and unpleasant."

Then add in that fans outnumber the stewards by the tens/hundreds depending on the ground and attendance. So one steward being perceived as rude or unpleasant (even if the person on the receiving end is fully deserving of it) will be witnessed by several. Not all of those who witness it would know the full events, so some of them would then claim it to be unjust. 

And so on. 

Its not a "non point" at all. In fact I think it was quite relevant to the thread.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

I now believe that football fans are fortunate to have the law that does not allow consumption of alcohol within sight of the pitch. I have an ST at Bristol and it's a complete pain in the ass to have to keep standing up for those who cannot go 40 minutes with alcohol. So football fans don't have this to put up with.

And a final word to the OP, Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law. It is each person's responsibility to know the laws relating to whatever they do in life.

I also believe now that the segregation of fans at football actually benefits the away team especially. A large group of one team's supporters can make a considerably greater amount of noise in support of one's team than from those spread around a stadium as is the case at rugby.

Archived