IGNORED

are people really boycotting because of LJ?!!

hoxton casual

1 hour ago, cynic said:

I'm not sure about 3k at Blackburn but otherwise I agree 100% with what you say.

As you point out, there will be some "boycotting" games - but they will amount to around the same number as attended all those mass demonstrations in the ground... 

20k plus crowds is proof positive that the vast majority of supporters are actually supporting the club rather than the opposite. Some don't want to hear it and will hide behind myth and bluster, but thats the truth. This forum is not representative of the fan base - nowhere near it.

apologies yes 1311 to Blackburn 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh ok, so are you saying we should be grateful that we haven't been relegated into non-league? 

I've had so many replies I don't know to which comment you're referring. I wouldn't say we should be grateful to be non league. I think we should be grateful we have an owner trying to stabilise the club for life after him and willing to make a loss year after year. I think his investment gives him the right to stick by his man and do what he thinks is right. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's exactly what I'm doing, Joe.

It's easy after a couple of wins for people to jump on those who have chosen to withdraw support as a principled stance against a pig-headed owner who is determined to persist with providing a job for his friend without a care for jeopardising the club's Championship status. Things can, and will turn again very quickly.

I get that but I'm questioning leaving in the first place. It's been a rough season but not even close to one of the worst that I've seen around. We have an owner who's trying to do what's right so he stuck with a head coach struggling. I can't see how that is enough to lose supporters. It's your right to do as you please but it's not as if our club are in similar positions to say Blackpool or Charlton. It could be a lot worse. It could be a lot better but I think we have ag least a satisfactory club that deserve support when we aren't playing well. 

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Umm. Yeah so why the criticism earlier about people who are choosing to do exactly that?

Because it's as simple as show up or not. People feel like if they aren't happy they can complain and get their way. It's not how sports work. There is no guarantee of success so if you don't like the product just don't show up. Complaining won't get you anywhere and not should it. 

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If 2,000 fans were protesting (a wildly excessive estimate in my opinion), then the attendance would still be over 18,000 - well in excess of our historical average over the last 20 years, despite the team struggling at the wrong end of the table.

I don't get the desperation to talk down our attendances this season.  Regardless of our problems on the pitch, off the pitch there are a number of success stories and our increasing average attendance is one of them.  Why pretend otherwise?

Can't see I'm doing talking down attendances, simply pointing out to someone - who might not be aware - that the official attendance given out is not the number of fans in the ground, and is therefore not something that can be be put forward as an argument when we're discussing ST holders staying away out of protest.

You could say the more apparent desperation here is by those determined to talk UP attendances by taking no account of those who don't actually turn up, especially those who do so while being well aware that the official figure bears no relation to the number actually in the ground.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get that but I'm questioning leaving in the first place. It's been a rough season but not even close to one of the worst that I've seen around. We have an owner who's trying to do what's right so he stuck with a head coach struggling. I can't see how that is enough to lose supporters. It's your right to do as you please but it's not as if our club are in similar positions to say Blackpool or Charlton. It could be a lot worse. It could be a lot better but I think we have ag least a satisfactory club that deserve support when we aren't playing well. 

But he isn't doing what's right by the club and that is my main problem. He's doing what he thinks is right by his and his son's friend. Not the club. Even if, against all the evidence, he is right about LJ in the future; he's still done it for the wrong reasons, in my humble opinion. If LJ does eventually succeed it will be because he has had the backing and investment that no other BCFC manager has ever had.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But he isn't doing what's right by the club and that is my main problem. He's doing what he thinks is right by his and his son's friend. Not the club. Even if, against all the evidence, he is right about LJ in the future; he's still done it for the wrong reasons, in my humble opinion. If LJ does eventually succeed it will be because he has had the backing and investment that no other BCFC manager has ever had.

Other managers were backed but they went after the wrong players, 9m bids were put in for 2 players last season plus our transfer record broken for kodjia 

45 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

You mean if LJ needs more money to buy in even more players, not play them and/or loan them out, or if we need a few more suits to add even more management to SL`s empire? NO because the board would be concerned about the running of our club and kick those out that aren't doing what they are paid for.

What can our board actually do without running it past SL anyway? hire stewards?

It cannot be surprising that the board members hav e other jobs as well as being on the Bristol Sports/ City board.  The day to day running of the club will be carried out by senior employees and their staff, guided by the board, who will have their guidance from SL. As others have said, if you had invested £100m+ into a venture, and with the open ended prospect of further funds being required, would not you wish to keep an eye on your investment and take an owners interest in what is happening?

I would expect middle managers to hire stewards.

29 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Because it's as simple as show up or not. People feel like if they aren't happy they can complain and get their way. It's not how sports work. There is no guarantee of success so if you don't like the product just don't show up. Complaining won't get you anywhere and not should it. 

I've not been aware of demonstrations to get "their way" despite keyboard talk to that effect. People appear to be simply staying away which is everyones perogative.

With respect,I don't need a relative newbie to tell me there is no guarantee of success at Bristol ******* City either.

Saying complaining gets you nowhere and nor should it...really? .Even many in the pro LJ camp would surely agree that if you aren't happy with the way the club is being run you have the right to complain, whether the club listens or not, or whether other fans agree or not.

If you consider negative comments on a forum as complaining and therefore unwelcome we may as well shut this ******* thing down.

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do you really believe he would risk his massive investment and the club, and the wrath of some of the fans, because LJ is friend's with this son? I would be amazed to find that is true. I truly believe that he is doing what he thinks is best for the long term interests of the club. I struggle to understand any other motivation, and it must be very frstrating for him to have such accusations levelled after all he has done for the club. Of course I could be wrong, but your reasoning just does not seem to add up to me. 

14 hours ago, clerk said:

Any true City fan would want the Poison Dwarf sacked. Worst manager in the club's history (fact).

Why would anybody continue to support him financially or verbally on here? That's a dog move. Stabbing your own club in the back.

Guided us to 18th last season and we are currently 18th in the table. In the Championship. Pretty standard for us. I recall us finishing higher than that... three times in two decades?  He has a 36% win ratio, all at Championship level, so he is far, far from being the worst manager in our history.

You're talking nonsense and have also resorted to pathetic childish insults.

LJ did a great job from February to October, from November to February we went through a torrid run but we have picked up again since. This is his first full season managing at this level, there were bound to be bumps in the road. The lows of this season were real lows but that doesn't undo all the good work he did before and after. He's done a fantastic job recovering from the low point, along with the players and the rest of the coaching staff.

People like yourself are the sad ones who can't let a bad run of form go, even when it was months ago now. Get over yourself. As for your last sentence, well... surely you're a WUM.

A small minority of people are boycotting but most City fans are getting behind the team and management like normal.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't want to get in a big debate about it. You're entitled to your opinion and me mine. I just don't look at it that way. I don't see how SL can guarantee doing things the right way. He can only do what he thinks best and he's the one in that position. That's how I see it anyway. You see it differently and that is fine as well. 

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I've not been aware of demonstrations to get "their way" despite keyboard talk to that effect. People appear to be simply staying away which is everyones perogative.

With respect,I don't need a relative newbie to tell me there is no guarantee of success at Bristol ******* City either.

Saying complaining gets you nowhere and nor should it...really? .Even many in the pro LJ camp would surely agree that if you aren't happy with the way the club is being run you have the right to complain, whether the club listens or not, or whether other fans agree or not.

If you consider negative comments on a forum as complaining and therefore unwelcome we may as well shut this ******* thing down.

Don't know how long I've supported comes into play. You've been a fan longer so you have more say? No and that's the problem here. It's sports and there is no guarantee to be good for any amount of time over any period of time. People think they have some right to have a say in the manager or owner because they've supported for 30 years or whatever. It has nothing to do with anything going on. One man makes decisions and you either live with them or don't. It's as simple as that. It seems people complaining or threatening not to show will have some effect on Bristol City but it won't. You or I don't have a say in it. You get two choices and they are support or don't. There is no in between but people seem to think there is. 

18 hours ago, Tammys Scan said:

I am, for this season anyway, and I haven't renewed. I'm unhappy with how WE've been treated. I'm unhappy with our club at the moment, most certainly not just the happenings of the on pitch scenario. I'm taking a break for now, which is easier done when we've been playing poorly.

I'll be back, of course, I still go on OTIB a dozen times a day & do everything I did before. I just, genuinely, do not want to be at Ashton Gate right now. I'm not a 'hater' and not a 'glory hunter', I'm 'CTID' but that doesn't mean I have to follow the 'super fans' does it? Each to their own I guess.

My sentiment exactly. If LJ is SL experiment/project then he can do it with his money not mine. Nothing against LJ at all and hope he succeeds but I just don't think he will. 

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nor could I. 

In one way I'm married to the club and "in sickness and in health" sum up my feeling.

I could never boycott any game because I'm a truly loyal City fan.

Don't the saggies like to describe themselves as "loyal and true"? (And prowed, obviously)

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don't know how long I've supported comes into play. You've been a fan longer so you have more say? No and that's the problem here. It's sports and there is no guarantee to be good for any amount of time over any period of time. People think they have some right to have a say in the manager or owner because they've supported for 30 years or whatever. It has nothing to do with anything going on. One man makes decisions and you either live with them or don't. It's as simple as that. It seems people complaining or threatening not to show will have some effect on Bristol City but it won't. You or I don't have a say in it. You get two choices and they are support or don't. There is no in between but people seem to think there is. 

I have been a fan of Bristol City longer so I do not need you telling me there are no guarantees in sport because a longer standing city fan is well aware of what a cluster **** we have been for long periods of our history. What don't you understand by that statement.? That doesn't mean a newer fan is as "good" a fan as anyone else, just that I don't want you stating the ******* obvious.

This thread started by questioning whether people are not going because of Johnson. Some posters confirmed that fact. You then choose to lecture grown ups over the futility of it all  .

Patronising or what? People are well aware of their choices they don't need you to spell it out.

14 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I have been a fan of Bristol City longer so I do not need you telling me there are no guarantees in sport because a longer standing city fan is well aware of what a cluster **** we have been for long periods of our history. What don't you understand by that statement.? That doesn't mean a newer fan is as "good" a fan as anyone else, just that I don't want you stating the ******* obvious.

This thread started by questioning whether people are not going because of Johnson. Some posters confirmed that fact. You then choose to lecture grown ups over the futility of it all  .

Patronising or what? People are well aware of their choices they don't need you to spell it out.

Like you said it's a forum I can say what I like on it. A bit contrafictoray to be fair but sorry Super fan that's been a fan longer. I should've bowed to your superiority. **** off. You're miniscule to the club but you think you're bigger than you are. How petty to stop supporting because a coach hasn't been sacked yet you're the better fan just because of longevity? Bollocks you're a glory hunter that only wants the good times. The whole point of my posts was to bring perspective to the topic. People not going because someone they don't like is in charge is childish much like your responses. City fan for one year or 75 mean naught in terms of success. Yea that is obvious but people not going is proof it's not as obvious as you're making it out to be. 

Anyway, I just don't get the point. I probably won't but I can only see people staying away simply based on results and it doesn't sit right with me. These LJ boycotters, would they stay away if we were top 6 all next season? Conjecture sure but I can't see it. If we are top 10 I'd imagine a full house. We've got no right to be a good championship club so the best we can all do is support the boys and coaches as best we can whether we think we can do better or not.

After the Brentford and Preston games, and particularly after LJ's digging out of Hordur after the game, I had lost patience vowed to myself not to give the club another penny until LJ had gone. However over the last few games, contrary to my expectations, the players are still playing for him and we've had some good results. I'm still not sold on LJ as the right man for the job but yesterday found myself buying my ticket for the Brighton game. So I thought I was boycotting because of LJ but, actually I'm not. Admittedly I don't get to loads of home games in any case though so I doubt my absence would have been noticed!

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don't know how long I've supported comes into play. You've been a fan longer so you have more say? No and that's the problem here. It's sports and there is no guarantee to be good for any amount of time over any period of time. People think they have some right to have a say in the manager or owner because they've supported for 30 years or whatever. It has nothing to do with anything going on. One man makes decisions and you either live with them or don't. It's as simple as that. It seems people complaining or threatening not to show will have some effect on Bristol City but it won't. You or I don't have a say in it. You get two choices and they are support or don't. There is no in between but

Anybody who watched Bristol City for thirty years can hardly be described as glory hunter.

If you had watched BCFC that long you would have the above understanding.

Fans once did have a say in BCFC. It is not that long ago shareholders (fans) helped remove a Chairman.

All gone now of course but if you had supported City longer you would know the above and respect views from those who remember and experienced different.

19 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Anybody who watched Bristol City for thirty years can hardly be described as glory hunter.

If you had watched BCFC that long you would have the above understanding.

Fans once did have a say in BCFC. It is not that long ago shareholders (fans) helped remove a Chairman.

All gone now of course but if you had supported City longer you would know the above and respect views from those who remember and experienced different.

And surely in thirty years, we've had far worse seasons than this...

In fact in recent memory when we were relegated to L1, that was a ******* awful season... far worse than this season, so why the boycotting now? This season for me is frustrating but nowhere near the disaster some seem to think it is.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

And surely in thirty years, we've had far worse seasons than this...

In fact in recent memory when we were relegated to L1, that was a ******* awful season... far worse than this season, so why the boycotting now? This season for me is frustrating but nowhere near the disaster some seem to think it is.

In my forty five years of supporting BCFC this season is a low point. The lowest. Its not results it the realisation that BCFC is a toy. Lansdown junior was running Bristol City, now a family friend is Managing the XI. Mr Lansdown is BCFC. Its not a club. It is a product. 

No problem with people opting to not suck it up, and choosing to come back when the product improves/the family friend is finally fired, or get other past times. 

Just now, Cowshed said:

In my forty five years of supporting BCFC this season is a low point. The lowest. Its not results it the realisation that BCFC is a toy. Lansdown junior was running Bristol City, now a family friend is Managing the XI. Mr Lansdown is BCFC. Its not a club. It is a product. 

No problem with people opting to not suck it up, and choosing to come back when the product improves/the family friend is finally fired, or get other past times. 

Supported them 29 years, not even close to the lowest point for me... 98-99 probably was that point.

I don't know what people expect... some have been moaning they want their club back what did the 'club' actually acheived in the last 30 years? Next to nothing. If Lansdown sees this as the way forward, I welcome it if in the longer term Bristol City can sustain some modicum of success.

If you want your club back... great but expect the same mediocrity without the investment

29 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Here's another way of looking at it.

We're 18th in the Championship. A million miles from the "low point" in terms of league position. We have a Chairman who has invested millions in the infrastructure that will continue to benefit the club long after he has gone. He has bravely flown in the face of the modern game and shown faith in a manager, and is now being rewarded with an improvement in form that would have been lauded had it occurred under the new manager so many of us (myself included) craved. And should we go onto survive this season, we will have a solid platform on which to build, with a manager who will know his squad intimately and know where to improve. A manager who, incidentally, has won as many games in the Championship as he has lost, at a midtable side, suggesting he might actually be a little more capable than those who stubbornly refuse to remember anything other than an admittedly abysmal run of form in the middle will tell you.

A positive spin, of course, but I suspect the truth lies somewhere between this and your overwhelmingly negative and cynical outlook.

12 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Supported them 29 years, not even close to the lowest point for me... 98-99 probably was that point.

I don't know what people expect... some have been moaning they want their club back what did the 'club' actually acheived in the last 30 years? Next to nothing. If Lansdown sees this as the way forward, I welcome it if in the longer term Bristol City can sustain some modicum of success.

If you want your club back... great but expect the same mediocrity without the investment

And you linked Its not results to your view its all about results.

Football is different things to different people. To myself it was the club not solely the teams success, or lack of it. I do not find the modern Bristol City's nepotism and failure so appealing.

Archived