IGNORED

are people really boycotting because of LJ?!!

hoxton casual

20 hours ago, allyolly said:

Nothing smug or feeling superior mate. I just don't get the "protest" vote until actually it seems that we may be doing well and then it's okay to  get back and support the club. To me that is not true support regardless of length of time following our team. 

I think you will find that most posters on here support the players and the club, it's the Head Coach that a lot of us don't support and cant see any advancement with him in charge.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

How is boycotting games supporting the players and the club ?

Boycotting implies an organised collaborative approach surely?

Personally I'm pissed off for reasons I'm tired of repeating but I haven't plotted with anyone else and fair play to those who will be there next season.

I've just stopped going for the foreseeable future. No drama. No "boycott"

And I suspect a lot of absentees see it the same way.

Don't know about any particular season being a low point but for me personally I was lower than whale shite after the Wolves game in 1998 - good old Benny Lennartsson  :facepalm:

From the Wolves Express and Star -

'Wolves were enduring a catastrophic season in which relegation was a real possibility and they'd yet to score two goals in a match.

What followed was a scarcely believable 6-1 hammering.

And there was also the small matter of a half-time scrap between Wolfie and three pigs'

An unforgettable day.

Bristol City 1 Wolves 6, November 7, 1998

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Anybody who watched Bristol City for thirty years can hardly be described as glory hunter.

If you had watched BCFC that long you would have the above understanding.

Fans once did have a say in BCFC. It is not that long ago shareholders (fans) helped remove a Chairman.

All gone now of course but if you had supported City longer you would know the above and respect views from those who remember and experienced different.

It's not representative of today though. Reality is we don't have a say in things now and nor should we. It's become too big and has too much money in the game. I've supported other teams in other things long enough to know nothing guarantees success. So whether you've been here 50 years or 50 seconds you get no sort of guarantee. So it doesn't matter how long you've been supporting because that is what it is, support. It gives you no right to anything more than me or the 8 year old that sits in front of me. I accept you'll have different opinions to me but doesn't make you right or myself right. 

how is appointing a rookie boss into a prominent role without the relevant experience for the championship ? best man for the job ?   ma says you wont believe the quality of applicants ! then appoints lansdowns mate

how is spending 2m on engvall putting the club on a stable footing for the long term ?  

i stayed away for 3 games, norwich,huddersfield and , wolves, really had enough of lj and his baffling tactics, lately hes stumbled on cant be  a formation that works, but for how long will he keep it.

i have reluctantly renewed next season, if it wasnt for my lad wanting to go so much, i would go back to choosing my games , this is not a backing of lj in anyway,i hknow of several mates not renewing, ticket sales cant be too good, jens ringing people , endless emails from bcfc/ bristol sport , and interestingly not many updates on sales that im aware of . 

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not today Pezo.

First outdoor roll up yesterday tho. 

The competitive matches are still a couple of weeks away.

Is that's what's got you all excited? Or have you just become aware your not going to get as much time to do this sort of thing so really getting stuck into it today?

37 minutes ago, kivsy said:

how is appointing a rookie boss into a prominent role without the relevant experience for the championship ? best man for the job ?   ma says you wont believe the quality of applicants ! then appoints lansdowns mate

how is spending 2m on engvall putting the club on a stable footing for the long term ?  

i stayed away for 3 games, norwich,huddersfield and , wolves, really had enough of lj and his baffling tactics, lately hes stumbled on cant be  a formation that works, but for how long will he keep it.

i have reluctantly renewed next season, if it wasnt for my lad wanting to go so much, i would go back to choosing my games , this is not a backing of lj in anyway,i hknow of several mates not renewing, ticket sales cant be too good, jens ringing people , endless emails from bcfc/ bristol sport , and interestingly not many updates on sales that im aware of . 

For someone who has zero experience of managing in the Championship, he hasn't done that bad and certainly better than 2 more experienced veterans of management...

28 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

For someone who has zero experience of managing in the Championship, he hasn't done that bad and certainly better than 2 more experienced veterans of management...

Who? When? And why should we set our sights so low with a billionaire owner,a city fan,a Bristolian someone said, who has stated he wants to be in the premier league ?

I smell bullshit. If Lansdown really wanted it he would not recruit a relative novice, for the simple reason that he can afford a proper coach and set up.

Just now, hoxton casual said:

Wow! There is nothing I can say to that.

No and that's what is sad.  I'd like to say he's put all his eggs in one basket, but he only has with regards to the BCFC part of his empire (oh and the Rugby).

We're a one man club, that's why no one in a DOF, management role will come here unless they're best buddies.

Lets just bow down before the new hotdog stand, shared with the rugby, and be grateful.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's not representative of today though. Reality is we don't have a say in things now and nor should we. It's become too big and has too much money in the game. I've supported other teams in other things long enough to know nothing guarantees success. So whether you've been here 50 years or 50 seconds you get no sort of guarantee. So it doesn't matter how long you've been supporting because that is what it is, support. It gives you no right to anything more than me or the 8 year old that sits in front of me. I accept you'll have different opinions to me but doesn't make you right or myself right. 

No idea what your post is about.

I simply answered your points factually

And with an opinion in response to a post that was simply ignorant. Anybody who watched Bristol City for thirty years can hardly be described as a glory hunter.

18 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

You can do what you like. Criticise SL but I don't get the point of it. You either enjoy going and supporting the boys and the badge or you don't. Anything else is over complicating things. We are customers that's why we pay money to go. If you don't like the direction of the club don't watch. It's simple really. It's like criticising the director of a film you've seen because he cast someone you didn't see fit for the role. 

Is not the SL latest project about bcfc being self sufficient and bringing young players through the academy etc, etc ? then why does he continue to back LJ  by buying players costing millions not play them and/or loan them out to other teams? is this the new improved project.

When Abraham goes and prob Wilbs as well we have the youngsters all primed and ready to step in then do we? .............no we don't. What we do have will be LJ again stumbling around having no clue as to how to build a promotion challenging side.......praying and hoping that he can cobble together a side that can find enough points to stay above the bottom 3 teams in whatever division we are in and no doubt spending millions more of his masters money in the name of BCFC.

SL answers to no-one and will continue in search of his Bristol All Sports Dream, We will take whatever he chooses to give us as he pays, well Steve so do we many, many millions of pounds as fans over the years, and have no say at all in whats done with it.

So the point of it is SL chucks a bucket load of cash at our club, mainly down the drain and calls all the shots; we also have invested millions over the years and continue to get just promises and no say in anything happening in our club. Sounds fair Steve.

When exactly was this utopian fan driven ownership of Bristol City ever a reality?

Yes, everyone chipped in and dragged the club out of the gutter in the period following '82, but this was because the club had no choice. It was on it's arse and desperately needed those fans to be an active part of the club to survive.

The reality is, that both before and since that time, the supporters have had no real say in how the club is run. We have always been at the mercy and whims of whoever is running the club at the time. Fortunately for us City have always been run by fairly decent local people who want the best for the club, and Steve Lansdown is just the latest in a long line.

I personally have no problem with people choosing to not attend any more if they aren't enjoying it, but to call it some kind of boycott is ridiculous. People come and go, it's the way it has always been. Just that people these days get to talk about it publicly on forums (or is it fora?) such as this, an option never really available in the past.

If you were to go and look at the fanzines of the 80s and 90s you would find just as much bitching and moaning about the people in charge of the club then.

The old gits sitting in the stand moaning about everything about the club, from the owners to the players, has been a caricature for years.

I really don't think there's anything much different going on from what there always has been, apart from the fact that football in general is changing due to the amount of money sloshing around, forcing any club with ambition to put itself onto a more business footing than in the past. But that really isn't Steve Lansdowns fault, it's what has to be done. If anything he is bucking the trend by sticking with a manager he obviously has faith in and we will all hopefully reap the benefits of that over the next few seasons. If it all goes wrong and we end up having to sack Lee Johnson anyway, then dropping a division and starting over isn't anything new to anyone that has supported this club for more than 5 years or so.

Season Ticket sales may be down a little on last season, but that is because another season of struggle has knocked some of the confidence out of the supporters. Even so, sales will still be the second highest ever seen at Ashton Gate and will soon rise again if we start to move up the table, which I'm sure is what we all hope will happen, even if some are predicting it won't.

14 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

When exactly was this utopian fan driven ownership of Bristol City ever a reality?

Yes, everyone chipped in and dragged the club out of the gutter in the period following '82, but this was because the club had no choice. It was on it's arse and desperately needed those fans to be an active part of the club to survive.

The reality is, that both before and since that time, the supporters have had no real say in how the club is run. We have always been at the mercy and whims of whoever is running the club at the time. Fortunately for us City have always been run by fairly decent local people who want the best for the club, and Steve Lansdown is just the latest in a long line.

I personally have no problem with people choosing to not attend any more if they aren't enjoying it, but to call it some kind of boycott is ridiculous. People come and go, it's the way it has always been. Just that people these days get to talk about it publicly on forums (or is it fora?) such as this, an option never really available in the past.

If you were to go and look at the fanzines of the 80s and 90s you would find just as much bitching and moaning about the people in charge of the club then.

The old gits sitting in the stand moaning about everything about the club, from the owners to the players, has been a caricature for years.

I really don't think there's anything much different going on from what there always has been, apart from the fact that football in general is changing due to the amount of money sloshing around, forcing any club with ambition to put itself onto a more business footing than in the past. But that really isn't Steve Lansdowns fault, it's what has to be done. If anything he is bucking the trend by sticking with a manager he obviously has faith in and we will all hopefully reap the benefits of that over the next few seasons. If it all goes wrong and we end up having to sack Lee Johnson anyway, then dropping a division and starting over isn't anything new to anyone that has supported this club for more than 5 years or so.

Season Ticket sales may be down a little on last season, but that is because another season of struggle has knocked some of the confidence out of the supporters. Even so, sales will still be the second highest ever seen at Ashton Gate and will soon rise again if we start to move up the table, which I'm sure is what we all hope will happen, even if some are predicting it won't.

My thoughts exactly.

It's been great to see crowds around the 20k mark this season, by miles the biggest average I've seen in my time down the Gate, exciting to think that if we have a decent season they could get even bigger.

Plenty of people love to moan, never been any different, I've been going regular since 1986 and it makes me proud to see the forward steps the club has made in terms of facilities, and getting people through the gates with cheaper tickets for the Atyeo, and kids etc, £50 a season ticket for my two boys and a shirt thrown in is incredible value. I actually like the fact that our board are bucking the trend and sticking with a manager, effectively saying to problematic players 'either get on board with the bloke, or do one'.

We've sacked an endless string of managers and where has it got us? I really hope that LJ proves a lot of people wrong next season, and repays SL's faith in him.

I hope a lot of the lads who have decided not to come down during the tough run this season, have a change of heart and get back down to support the lads!! Come on you Reds!!

36 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've been wondering this myself, you'd think from the way some talk on here that up until now the club had been run exactly how the fans wanted by a succession of benevolent, altruistic owners with only the interests of the fans at heart.

I by no means agree with some of the decisions taken at the top in the last couple of years but we've never had so much communication from the owner/ chairman/ whatever- even if we may not like the messages.

I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Is not the SL latest project about bcfc being self sufficient and bringing young players through the academy etc, etc ? then why does he continue to back LJ  by buying players costing millions not play them and/or loan them out to other teams? is this the new improved project.

When Abraham goes and prob Wilbs as well we have the youngsters all primed and ready to step in then do we? .............no we don't. What we do have will be LJ again stumbling around having no clue as to how to build a promotion challenging side.......praying and hoping that he can cobble together a side that can find enough points to stay above the bottom 3 teams in whatever division we are in and no doubt spending millions more of his masters money in the name of BCFC.

SL answers to no-one and will continue in search of his Bristol All Sports Dream, We will take whatever he chooses to give us as he pays, well Steve so do we many, many millions of pounds as fans over the years, and have no say at all in whats done with it.

So the point of it is SL chucks a bucket load of cash at our club, mainly down the drain and calls all the shots; we also have invested millions over the years and continue to get just promises and no say in anything happening in our club. Sounds fair Steve.

He wants to bring young players through the academy and buy them in and sell them on for profit. Much of what we spent in the summer was on the latter. As far as I can see he's talked about it for a long time and has only recently implemented it. Your academy isn't going to be ready to produce after a year. 

The fans have invested nothing. You buy merchandise and tickets for entertainment alone. You don't buy a season ticket to gain stock in the club. It's his club and he runs it how he chooses. He hasn't run the club into the ground as far as I can tell. Like I've said the only reason any of this has come up is because there was a spell of losing during the season. From the looks of this whole topic we are about 10 points off what we should've been so I just don't get outcry about owner and manager. There is still Bristol City next season, most likely in the championship, with lots of young players still getting better with higher resale values, a top class pitch and stadium with plenty of people still choosing to show up(20k the last two home games and good away followings recently). The negatives have been focused on for far too long and there is far too much impatience when it comes to the club. 

9 hours ago, Cowshed said:

No idea what your post is about.

I simply answered your points factually

And with an opinion in response to a post that was simply ignorant. Anybody who watched Bristol City for thirty years can hardly be described as a glory hunter.

Then I don't know what you call it when you say you're a fan but stop going when they aren't winning but that's what the thread is about. Nobody hated SL or LJ when we were winning. All the negativity is because we lost a few games. You were supporting for 30 years then stopped going. So I guess when you come back you've been a fan less than I have. You "long time fans" seem to have this superiority complex. That the club deserves the be good because you've been there the whole time. The club deserves nothing and nor do you. The best you and I can hope for is a few special seasons we can talk about for years and all the bad ones and what could've gone better. You don't disappear when it gets tough. 

36 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I've been wondering this myself, you'd think from the way some talk on here that up until now the club had been run exactly how the fans wanted by a succession of benevolent, altruistic owners with only the interests of the fans at heart.

I by no means agree with some of the decisions taken at the top in the last couple of years but we've never had so much communication from the owner/ chairman/ whatever- even if we may not like the messages.

I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Exactly - our greatest success was under Harry Dolman surely, where the "business model", as far as I can see, was pretty much identical; a benevolent dictatorship.

On 18/04/2017 at 22:39, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who the ***** do you think you are telling people to 'keep quiet' on this forum ?

Every post you make is similar 

Prize *******

Mr 34 posts

I see you're still poisoning the atmosphere by insulting whoever disagrees with you.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I see you're still poisoning the atmosphere by insulting whoever disagrees with you.

I can see why he's annoyed tbh, why tell people to keep quiet on a forum? There's an ignore button that I suggest people use if they get that upset over criticism of the Manager/Owner and Board.  I use the word Board loosely here as they appear to have absolutely  no say in matters anyway.

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Another exciting , interesting post from you - one of your longest - 13 words

Congratulations 

I guess you gave up and are a bit sore after taking the p out of Big Sams playing career without having the knowledge of what it actually was or the brains not to talk shite

:laughcont:

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Another exciting , interesting post from you - one of your longest - 13 words

Congratulations 

i think this thread has run its course and is descending into insults.  Passionate feelings, with some interesting debate. I have learnt that the anti SL brigade feel he treats the club as a plaything and risks his money, and the therefore the future of the club, over his sons friendship with the manager. At least I understand the nature of the disontentent, which I has not heard expplicitly before, as I am an infrequent visitor to OTIB. I cannot see any logical basis for why SL would act like that but hey ho, it is a time of conspiracy theories.

I hope we finish strong and that we have a noisy, packed positive AG for the last two games. COYR.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

No problem with anything you've said, but I don't like the idea of some tax exile saying I can't boo a poor performance or criticise an inept manager. 

In short: Lansdown says pay up then shut up.

11 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

i think this thread has run its course and is descending into insults.  Passionate feelings, with some interesting debate. I have learnt that the anti SL brigade feel he treats the club as a plaything and risks his money, and the therefore the future of the club, over his sons friendship with the manager. At least I understand the nature of the disontentent, which I has not heard expplicitly before, as I am an infrequent visitor to OTIB. I cannot see any logical basis for why SL would act like that but hey ho, it is a time of conspiracy theories.

I hope we finish strong and that we have a noisy, packed positive AG for the last two games. COYR.

There are passionate feelings, I hope we finish strongly too, I have just never felt so disconnected from the club.  The results are not what most of us are whinging about it's the feeling that we are supporting a particular part of SL's Bristol Sport's project rather than our club.

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He wants to bring young players through the academy and buy them in and sell them on for profit. Much of what we spent in the summer was on the latter. As far as I can see he's talked about it for a long time and has only recently implemented it. Your academy isn't going to be ready to produce after a year. 

The fans have invested nothing. You buy merchandise and tickets for entertainment alone. You don't buy a season ticket to gain stock in the club. It's his club and he runs it how he chooses. He hasn't run the club into the ground as far as I can tell. Like I've said the only reason any of this has come up is because there was a spell of losing during the season. From the looks of this whole topic we are about 10 points off what we should've been so I just don't get outcry about owner and manager. There is still Bristol City next season, most likely in the championship, with lots of young players still getting better with higher resale values, a top class pitch and stadium with plenty of people still choosing to show up(20k the last two home games and good away followings recently). The negatives have been focused on for far too long and there is far too much impatience when it comes to the club. 

We've been going down this road for the best part of 20 years. Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid are academy products, as were the likes of Danny Coles, Matt Hill, Tommy Doc et al.

We may be putting more emphasis on it now, but the highlighted part is disingenuous.

Archived