IGNORED

are people really boycotting because of LJ?!!

hoxton casual

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fair enough but I just can't see what difference it'll make. Fans can disagree but in today's game they don't get a say. The best we can do is support. Again it's just the way I see it. It was probably different 20-30 years ago and I'll not understand that bit of it. Too much money involved now I think for us to be part of decisions. 

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are three of the richest clubs in the world and are all owned by the clubs members (the fans). All it would take to get me back would be for SL to focus just a fraction more of the clubs resources into fan initiatives and making the game more inclusive. Although the new stadium, bars and fan park etc are great, they are all money spinners. Wouldn't it be great if a fraction of that extra income went into flags, displays, slightly lower prices (like Huddersfield's £179 ST) and generating a sense of belonging that I haven't really felt since 13/14. 

13 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are three of the richest clubs in the world and are all owned by the clubs members (the fans). All it would take to get me back would be for SL to focus just a fraction more of the clubs resources into fan initiatives and making the game more inclusive. Although the new stadium, bars and fan park etc are great, they are all money spinners. Wouldn't it be great if a fraction of that extra income went into flags, displays, slightly lower prices (like Huddersfield's £179 ST) and generating a sense of belonging that I haven't really felt since 13/14. 

Now move to England owned clubs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fan-owned_sports_teams#England

The other man's pasture is always greener.

I agree with some of your points though e.g. lower ST prices.

All these 'die hard superfans' on here make me laugh :laugh:. Criticising people who've followed the club through thick and thin for years because they haven't renewed this season but would rather focus on other things like wife/kids/work/enjoying themselves.

This season has been dreadful and the handful of good games at the start and tail ends will not change that. Can you honestly blame people not renewing when next season promises to be more of the same? If you're going to miss a day out with your own family to watch us lose 2 nil to Barnsley then I think you're the one who wants to question your morals. 

8 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Now move to England owned clubs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fan-owned_sports_teams#England

The other man's pasture is always greener.

I agree with some of your points though e.g. lower ST prices.

I'd normally agree but English football has probably the highest ticket prices in world football yet also arguably the worst atmospheres. Italy don't have fan owned clubs but the fans there don't put up with being shafted. And are perfectly happy to boycott matches en mass. This may harm the company that the team plays for but the club itself is better off for it. 

I believe that when any English fan observes world football and then our own game, we have the right to be very angry. I'd love for City to be an example that clubs can be primarily fan focused and not primarily success focused. I'd love for AG to be full of fans no matter what level we play at. I'd love Bristol Sport to be in the background whilst allowing the two clubs identities to be the major draw, without the need for all the extra branding. As and when I return to AG I'd rather see a Bristol Rugby badge than a Bristol Sport one (although I'd rather they had their own ground as I haven't really enjoyed watching Bris since they left the mem) as at least that badge is representative of a club with over a century of history like our own club, rather than a brand that is alien, non-representative and quite frankly irrelevant. 

22 hours ago, Cowshed said:

And you linked Its not results to your view its all about results.

Football is different things to different people. To myself it was the club not solely the teams success, or lack of it. I do not find the modern Bristol City's nepotism and failure so appealing.

I guess you are sick of that Marina what with it being Harry's stand and all.

What's that?  Acceptable type of nepotism.  Gotcha!  Just as countless years of Lge 1 and 2 were the acceptable type of failure.

15 minutes ago, SARJ said:

This season has been dreadful and the handful of good games at the start and tail ends will not change that. Can you honestly blame people not renewing when next season promises to be more of the same? If you're going to miss a day out with your own family to watch us lose 2 nil to Barnsley then I think you're the one who wants to question your morals. 

People not renewing because of family or work commitments or even financial ones will get no grief from me. Fortunately I was never in that difficult position.

However, those not renewing because they don't rate the manager, the owner or the fact City have had a tough season get no sympathy from me. They are the fairweather "fans" and in my view not true City fans. 

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I guess you are sick of that Marina what with it being Harry's stand and all.

What's that?  Acceptable type of nepotism.  Gotcha!  

Your parallel is without foundation, or there is none during my lifetime. Bristol City FC being owned by one individual who employs his Son to run the FC temporarily, and a family friend to run the XI is nepotism without parallel.

Got ..Yourself.

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I get the glory hunting thing and fair enough but what is a supporter for 30 years who stops showing up because we didn't have as many points this year as they expected? That's the issue I have. Anybody can choose to go or not to go and I've got no issue with that. Just say the true reason you aren't going. It isn't SL or LJ, it's purely results based because no one was complaining in October. That's my main issue. If you've been supporting 30 years and are tired of second and third tier football and don't want to show up, I'm all for it. Don't try and spout poisonous rubbish about an owner and coach who may not be the best on their field but have best interests at heart. 

The community stuff you mention would be nice and I won't comment on it because I don't know what they do other than what they post online themselves. More communication from the club would be nice. I don't have any hopes for on the field other than we have XI that work hard and don't give up whichever league we are in. 

No I get the glory hunting thing ... You clearly do not.

Just say the true reason you aren't going. It isn't SL or LJ ...  My attendance will be irregular due to SL and LJ. I will attend on a social basis - Football is a communal activity.

it's purely results based ... Nope I have watched Errington Kelly play for BCFC. There where probably better players in the crowd.

If you've been supporting 30 years and are tired of second and third tier football and don't want to show up, I'm all for it ... Not what was posted at all. It is forty five years and if supporting the club was solely about results I should have ceased attending in 1982, like most did. 

Don't try and spout ... Facts. that will never do. Awful spouting behaviour.

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Your parallel is without foundation, or there is none during my lifetime. Bristol City FC being owned by one individual who employs his Son to run the FC temporarily, and a family friend to run the XI is nepotism without parallel.

Got ..Yourself.

Keith Dawe is the club Chairman and Mark Ashdown is the Chief Operations Manager - they are a lot higher up the food chain than Jon Lansdown. As SL lives in Guernsey, it does make sense for him to have someone from his family to represent his interests on the board, and this situation is hardly unusual in English football. 

As for Lee being a "family friend", just having a good relationship with him doesn't put him in that category - or are you claiming an intimate knowledge of the Lansdowns' social diary?  He was on good terms with Gary too, but that didn't stop him sacking him. 

I'd agree with you that Lee was a weak appointment, but I don't think it was made merely out of "friendship". Johnson had achieved some success with a couple of underfunded, unfashionable teams and it is true to say he was being talked about in those days as a talented young up-and-coming coach. The fact that he is more personable than the last two incumbents at AG would have helped his cause, as it does anyone in any job interview. 

The uncomfortable fact is that at no English football club - other than the lower and non-league examples of supporter-owned ones - do the fanbase have any say in the recruitment or retention of the manager.

It's the same here - as indeed it always has been. You'd think by now people would have got used to that!

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

People not renewing because of family or work commitments or even financial ones will get no grief from me. Fortunately I was never in that difficult position.

However, those not renewing because they don't rate the manager, the owner or the fact City have had a tough season get no sympathy from me. They are the fairweather "fans" and in my view not true City fans. 

Absolutely! 100% All true City fans will be there sitting down and doing what they're told whilst all those part timers with grievances stay away.

I've always maintained that no matter what, the fans are the club. Players, managers and owners come and go but the fans are this club. Therefore if you support the club you should support your fellow fan. Why not support them by making a stand to allow the more financially restricted people to come and watch more often.

I'm going to make an assumption of you so correct me if I'm wrong. I'd say you are happy to sit in the Lansdown/Dolman, enjoy watching the football and maybe a pint and a pie in the concourse and may get involved in one or two songs a game. There is nothing wrong with that but it shows that the club caters for you. Therefore you are content and wonder why others are not. People are attracted to football for many different reasons and come from a huge number of backgrounds. I think you need to take that into account.

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As for Lee being a "family friend", just having a good relationship with him doesn't put him in that category - or are you claiming an intimate knowledge of the Lansdowns' social diary?

Lee Johnson has stated that Mr Lansdown is a friend.

45 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Absolutely! 100% All true City fans will be there sitting down and doing what they're told whilst all those part timers with grievances stay away.

I've always maintained that no matter what, the fans are the club. Players, managers and owners come and go but the fans are this club. Therefore if you support the club you should support your fellow fan. Why not support them by making a stand to allow the more financially restricted people to come and watch more often.

I'm going to make an assumption of you so correct me if I'm wrong. I'd say you are happy to sit in the Lansdown/Dolman, enjoy watching the football and maybe a pint and a pie in the concourse and may get involved in one or two songs a game. There is nothing wrong with that but it shows that the club caters for you. Therefore you are content and wonder why others are not. People are attracted to football for many different reasons and come from a huge number of backgrounds. I think you need to take that into account.

The last time I was discontented with the club was when Lindley's had the catering franchise. Their food was ridiculously overpriced and poor in quality. 

The beverages were the same and the choice of alcohol was very limited.

So.......I went the entire time of Lindsey's franchise not buying a single food item in AG. I'd buy pie from Clarke van and on a dry day buy cans of cider from the corner shop in Ashton Rd and sit on the wall. 

I boycotted Lindley's in other words. I'm sure that my act of defiance made zero different to them......

Im not adverse to boycotting things but not renewing is definitely not one of them.

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'd normally agree but English football has probably the highest ticket prices in world football yet also arguably the worst atmospheres. Italy don't have fan owned clubs but the fans there don't put up with being shafted. And are perfectly happy to boycott matches en mass. This may harm the company that the team plays for but the club itself is better off for it. 

I believe that when any English fan observes world football and then our own game, we have the right to be very angry. I'd love for City to be an example that clubs can be primarily fan focused and not primarily success focused. I'd love for AG to be full of fans no matter what level we play at. I'd love Bristol Sport to be in the background whilst allowing the two clubs identities to be the major draw, without the need for all the extra branding. As and when I return to AG I'd rather see a Bristol Rugby badge than a Bristol Sport one (although I'd rather they had their own ground as I haven't really enjoyed watching Bris since they left the mem) as at least that badge is representative of a club with over a century of history like our own club, rather than a brand that is alien, non-representative and quite frankly irrelevant. 

This is pipe dream stuff and I'm a practical sort of guy.

It's all cognitive bias, football fan envy and appears to be a distorted view about what football support is.

Highest priced tickets?
http://thekingmaker.me/football-season-ticket-prices/

You don't care about what level we play at?
... that clubs can be primarily fan focused...?
... fans are angry?

I have no doubt that you are passionate about football, however I really don't support the direction of that passion or accept that it is representative of what fans want.

I want Bristol City to be a successful football club with all the associated trimmings.
My views about Bristol Sport are mixed but I get it.
I want a mixture of affordable ST prices.
I want stands for those who like stands.
I want fan representation on the board with the caveat that it should represent the fans and not some distorted personal view of what someone thinks fans want - I suspect that this is where fan representation falls flat on its face (it gets hijacked by agendas).
I want a lot of things, but ultimately, I'm focused on the football.

I accept that people might not want such things but I try not to use the 'we'/'our'/etc. words as if it does.

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Another exciting , interesting post from you - one of your longest - 13 words

Congratulations 

I guess you gave up and are a bit sore after taking the p out of Big Sams playing career without having the knowledge of what it actually was or the brains not to talk shite

:laughcont:

You should be glad I don't have verbal diarrhoea.

been going down the gate for 40 years,every year you have a little bit of hope that this could be your year.With the set up now i will renew because its what we do but i think next season we will be down(if not this year)Any team except hudderfield that has wanted to beat us has done.

On Tue Apr 18 2017 at 21:37, Tiree said:

For sure those staying away have their right to but should also keep quiet on this Forum whcih is for opinion but surely in SUPPORT of BCFC rather than BRFC, Brighton or anyone else. THey should also please stay away from where the action (support) of our beloved club really takes place rather than this extremely unrepresentative Forum

Anyone not happy with the LJ 'turn round' since Feb but question if they ever really want to be happy following City; 3 great home wins (all more comfortable than 4-0, 3-1 and 2-1 suggest, some solid away games and oif course the 31 pass move.

LJ haters just watch and please contact me at any game when you have seen a better build up an dgoal; shame the other finishing wasnt the same standard as we would now all be de-mob happy and pinching ourslelves asking where all theat vitriol from January has gone.

The club are great, the owwner one of th etop 5 out of 92 and  the inexperienced LJ is learning fast. Does anyone really think Chris Hughton wasnt ever inexperienced once and he is now the hero of English football?

Well hes certainly no Chris Hughton

56 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Just say the true reason you aren't going. It isn't SL or LJ ...  My attendance will be irregular due to SL and LJ. I will attend on a social basis - Football is a communal activity.

it's purely results based ... Nope I have watched Errington Kelly play for BCFC. There where probably better players in the crowd.

If you've been supporting 30 years and are tired of second and third tier football and don't want to show up, I'm all for it ... Not what was posted at all. It is forty five years and if supporting the club was solely about results I should have ceased attending in 1982, like most did. 

you forget that his brothers Nyrere Anthony Okpara Kelly and Tony Kelly also played for us, I think they had Identical stats

On 4/18/2017 at 21:37, Tiree said:

For sure those staying away have their right to but should also keep quiet on this Forum whcih is for opinion but surely in SUPPORT of BCFC rather than BRFC, Brighton or anyone else. THey should also please stay away from where the action (support) of our beloved club really takes place rather than this extremely unrepresentative Forum

Anyone not happy with the LJ 'turn round' since Feb but question if they ever really want to be happy following City; 3 great home wins (all more comfortable than 4-0, 3-1 and 2-1 suggest, some solid away games and oif course the 31 pass move.

LJ haters just watch and please contact me at any game when you have seen a better build up an dgoal; shame the other finishing wasnt the same standard as we would now all be de-mob happy and pinching ourslelves asking where all theat vitriol from January has gone.

The club are great, the owwner one of th etop 5 out of 92 and  the inexperienced LJ is learning fast. Does anyone really think Chris Hughton wasnt ever inexperienced once and he is now the hero of English football?

Indeed he was.

That's why he spent 14 years coaching at Spurs, initially the u.21's, then the reserve side, then the first team, being caretaker manager on 2 occasions, serving under 10 different managers, and finally becoming manager himself.

A natural progression during which he learnt every aspect of coaching and man management under managers like Ossie Ardiles, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle and Martin Jol.

In comparison some may say Lee Johnson's leap from being an inexperienced and bog standard L1 manager who had achieved precisely nothing, to taking over a Championship club was a rather unnatural progression which, not surprisingly, has often found him out of his depth and at odds with some of his players.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to sideline LJ to the lower echelons of City's coaching structure for a decade or so while he thoroughly learns the job and he can work his way up, very slowly, from there if he impresses at every stage of the way?

Only then could you even begin to compare him with Hughton.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Alright mate you're right and no one else can be I get it now 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

This is probably better said than I've tried to do. It sums up how I feel as well without getting into an argument about true fans and all that. We sing City til I die not City until we're shit or City unless the manager is woeful 

:robbored: oh please mr true City fan how can I make things better and me a proper fan again? must I buy a ST to watch a club run by a chap who clearly aint bothered what mere fans think or want.

Sorry aint gonna happen, hate what hes done to my club and I will not return until he`s finished playing with it. Makes no difference what division we are in. and really don't worry, I can live ok without your sympathy.

Thanks anyway.....from not a true fan (jeez you are as bad as him)

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

This is probably better said than I've tried to do. It sums up how I feel as well without getting into an argument about true fans and all that. We sing City til I die not City until we're shit or City unless the manager is woeful 

So your a fairweather fan then.

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

:robbored: oh please mr true City fan how can I make things better and me a proper fan again? must I buy a ST to watch a club run by a chap who clearly aint bothered what mere fans think or want.

Sorry aint gonna happen, hate what hes done to my club and I will not return until he`s finished playing with it. Makes no difference what division we are in. and really don't worry, I can live ok without your sympathy.

Another fairweather fan........:facepalm:

Abandoning the club because he doesn't like Lansdown.......ffs...but at least he's right about one thing, about not being a true City fan.

12 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

You sound like a spoilt brat mate. If you don't want to watch city anymore, why come on here and advertise it? Or are you just attention seeking? If your that fickle, then perhaps it's best for everyone. Anyway, please post back in a 6 months or so. Would be nice to know if you have stuck to yer guns, or if your just a load of hot air! 

21 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

And what exactly has he done to 'your' club except invest astronomical amounts of his own money in improving the infrastructure including the stadium, training facilities and so on? He's made mistakes of course but all debt (his not yours) has been underwritten

I take it 'your' club was a huge success before SL took over and ruined it for you... sorry to hear that :blink:

In my view any so-called City fan who drives a minibus of Rovers fans to Wembley is not a true City fan and gets no sympathy from me.

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fair enough but I just can't see what difference it'll make. Fans can disagree but in today's game they don't get a say. The best we can do is support. Again it's just the way I see it. It was probably different 20-30 years ago and I'll not understand that bit of it. Too much money involved now I think for us to be part of decisions. 

Once directors came and went. Chairman could be ousted. there was some accountability. its not so long ago. you've been digging people out on the thread when you have not understood that it was all different with no probably to it. fans thinking city are less of a club now. hard to argue with that when its all about one man who is for many is making bad decisins and its hard to argue with fans who think the best they can do is stay away because going is only supporting something they disagree with.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In my view any so-called City fan who drives a minibus of Rovers fans to Wembley is not a true City fan and gets no sympathy from me.

Not that tired old jibe again..........:rofl2br:

Do try harder to come up with something original.

Archived