IGNORED

Lansdown Upper Tier Open for Birmingham - CONFIRMED

Xiled

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

The top tier is overflow only which I understand to a point, but the most important thing is to ensure there is a constant and ample supply of available seats to avoid this situation.  It really isn't hard.  Painful!

It's an overflow but there's still 2 weeks until the game, they should be doing everything they can to sell sell sell. 

It doesn't help that you can't go to the shop and buy tickets like you used to . I know people that used to buy this way and don't like (getting on a bit) to use the internet. The club is also missing out because whilst these fans are in the shop they would probably buy something from there, the coffee shop or sports bar and grill. 

1 hour ago, cynic said:

What is "regularly" ?

We have had 20k plus crowds on 6 occasions plus the Brum and possibly Barnsley to come. In addition we've had several just shy of 20k which may have crept over the 20k mark with the top tier open.

Good point. People would have been put off when they see only front row seats available. If they could get a ticket in the upper tier they may well have taken that up. I seme to remember though that if you have only limited seats being used in a stand you have to put everything in place, stewarding, toilets, police etc, as if the whole stand is open. This is why you very often see whole stands closed when a low attendance is expected.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

What is "regularly" ?

We have had 20k plus crowds on 6 occasions plus the Brum and possibly Barnsley to come. In addition we've had several just shy of 20k which may have crept over the 20k mark with the top tier open.

IMO in this instance regularly means almost every match in a season. If the demand is constantly there, the club will open the top tier. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The top tier is overflow only which I understand to a point, but the most important thing is to ensure there is a constant and ample supply of available seats to avoid this situation.  It really isn't hard.  Painful!

All that is needed is a bod to write some code and amend the computer program so that when a block reaches a certain density, as opposed to a certain number of seats sold (there is a difference), it auto triggers the next block. I wish the club would be more open and listen to experts; that being said it might be out of their hands already? We have a team out here doing code that re-writes naff programs and turns them into mind blowing marketing tools.. of course they are also no good if the people operating them are clueless which is why most clients hand over the marketing to us as well. Can all be done remotely.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It doesn't help that you can't go to the shop and buy tickets like you used to . I know people that used to buy this way and don't like (getting on a bit) to use the internet. The club is also missing out because whilst these fans are in the shop they would probably buy something from there, the coffee shop or sports bar and grill. 

This must particularly annoying; you should never close out walk up sales purely for common sense and convenience reasons but to do so that then prevents the non computer savvy amongst us is, quite simply, arrogant.

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Unless and until we can regularly get crowds over 20,000 you are probably correct.

As Cynic and others have said we are over 20k and close to it every home game already; makes you wonder how many more tickets would have been sold had this been handled and marketed correctly. I mean, for example, do the club even know how to do FB marketing amongst certain target groups in the region? You should be able to buy direct from a FB click thru.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

What is "regularly" ?

Are there any other clubs in the top 2 flights of English football that keep part of the ground closed on a regular basis??

All seems very amateur and small minded thinking to me.

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Are there any other clubs in the top 2 flights of English football that keep part of the ground closed on a regular basis??

Villa closed the Trinity Road upper tier for the season and re-opened it when needed for the huge clash with Burton Albion on Boxing Day. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-re-open-trinity-12298544

9 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I might be wrong but I think Leeds often have the top tier of their stand closed, or at least they have done in the past.

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

Villa closed the Trinity Road upper tier for the season and re-opened it when needed for the huge clash with Burton Albion on Boxing Day. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-re-open-trinity-12298544

Fair enough!

Although Villa Park does hold over 42K and they are coming off the back of a few poor seasons followed by relegation from the Prem, so you might expect their crowds to dip a bit.

We on the other hand have just opened a gert macky stand and at a time we should be looking to actively increase our fan base, make it difficult for fans to buy tickets and find more than the odd single dotted around.

Still, I've got my ST in the Dolman so I'm sorted!

2 hours ago, phantom said:

W9 showing as sold out - as to what is going on with the sales in other three blocks is mind blowing

Are the club actually trying to sell these seats or not?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I just bought mine in w8 row 9 at the end. That wad the closest I could get to the halfway  line. Not bad for 16 quid

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

If we'd not had a crap season on the pitch I think the crowds would have organically grown to the point of the upper tier being open a lot more.

The fact we have maintained the 19-20k mark throughout some utter garbage does suggest this may have been the case

Just now, Raging_Robin said:

Hiya, 

I've just moved in from the states so not been to Ashton Gate for a while. I was wondering what the view is like from the new Landsdown stand? Is it worth the extra cash?

All tickets for the last home game are the same price. :) 

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

All that is needed is a bod to write some code and amend the computer program so that when a block reaches a certain density, as opposed to a certain number of seats sold (there is a difference), it auto triggers the next block. I wish the club would be more open and listen to experts; that being said it might be out of their hands already? We have a team out here doing code that re-writes naff programs and turns them into mind blowing marketing tools.. of course they are also no good if the people operating them are clueless which is why most clients hand over the marketing to us as well. Can all be done remotely.

Nudge nudge wink wink @Mkelly:yes::thumbsup:

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Great post.

The lghts are on at Ashton Gate, but.............

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Xiled does it really matter which seat you are in for one match 

Most fans just want to be there in our great stadium watching a rejuvenated team. Get on down there matey!

I'll be there!  I have my season ticket.  When I posted the topic on Wednesday I had already bought four tickets for my family (my only option was to buy them at pitch side in the lower Lansdown or the corner of the Dolman).  I was just a little surprised at the time that the choice was so limited.

I'm grateful to @Mkelly for giving some replies to the debate but as others have said, the release of seats in the upper Lansdown has not been handled well.  I keep banging on about it but the reason I haven't renewed two season tickets is because I don't think I'm being given a fair choice of where I can sit (some rows are being held back).

When you pay your money, within reason you should be able to buy the best available match ticket or season ticket at that time.  Marking everything unavailable as 'sold' is not truthful when entire blocks and subsequently rows within blocks are actually 'not yet for sale'.  I bought four tickets on Monday night that have an inferior view compared to if I was buying four today.  It's no problem because it's an extremely good offer for this final match.

I share the concerns of others that we are losing fans/revenue based on the online ticketing arrangements.  While we have spare capacity (eg every single home match this season) the club officials should be making sure that there is a good choice of seats available at all times.  Releasing plenty of blocks/rows with empty seats so that supporters have a genuine choice.  We need to encourage people through the turnstiles not give the idea that nearly all seats are sold out three weeks before a game.

I don't want to be overly critical of the club as this is the first season where we have had 27,000 capacity and the whole raft of considerations is probably more complex than fans like me will have insight into.

I think it's excellent that with my season ticket I've been given the chance to watch two rugby games for free this season.  And I welcome the opportunity to buy £10 tickets for friends and family for some home matches.  And £16 for an adult ticket against Birmingham is extremely good value for what could be a very important game.

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Its actually laughable this club is an embarrassment at times. Amateur.

3 hours ago, Raging_Robin said:

Hiya, 

I've just moved in from the states so not been to Ashton Gate for a while. I was wondering what the view is like from the new Landsdown stand? Is it worth the extra cash?

I was up there for the Newcastle game. The view was really good and I didn't feel that it affected being involved in the atmosphere of the game. I have to say that the group I was with all really enjoyed it.

That said, my old man was gurt f@cked walking up all the stairs. Which made us all laugh and was worth the extra cash and effort to see his red chops!

Call me old fashioned ...but surely FANS  should choose where they want to sit in the Upper Lansdown rather than the Club deciding where they should sit.

As myself and many others have been saying for some time , releasing limited rows at a time is a great sales prevention strategy. When they open the Upper Tier ALL seats should be available. Guess what -the centre will be sold first with the ends and the back the last to fill. Can't see what the problem is- let the fans sit where they want!

I can kind of see where the club are coming from. If a block was released and we could just choose any seats,  it would be natural to choose  seats with spaces next to them.  (We can't choose the person who sits there, so a space would be preferable, and it's somewhere to keep the prawn sarnies). If sold this way the block would be littered with empty single seats, not what the club wants.

However, there is a way to avoid this 'scatter gun' effect. If you try to buy online tickets for a show at the Colston Hall, (Callsnaw) you can choose your seats, but it will not let you buy seats if you leave a gap of one seat, as this single seat will be more difficult to sell. If you then select your seats but close the gap.....it then lets you go ahead.

Could we not do this?  It would give us...the supporter/customer at least a little choice. Rather than...That's where you sit, take it or leave it!   (Not good).

Archived