IGNORED

Tomlin, a white elephant ?

Major Isewater

20 minutes ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

PLEASE keep the same team and formation as the last four games , there is no illusion why the team is playing better and results have improved. Continuity is key to any team and players have began to play in unison with each other rather than a team of individuals. two quick forwards running the channels was always the way to go and thanks god LJ realised it just in the nick of time.

I am Tomlin's biggest fan and it was his skill that gave me something to cheer about during those crap months. sorry Lee but for now a cameo from the bench is all we need from you .

4-4-2 Taylor and Tammy to start all the time.

'WE ARE STAYING UP' :fingerscrossed:

I would like to think we win Saturday and other results mean that's it , safety. 
If that were to happen I'd like to see McCoulsky given a start, would have been nice to see Engvall but that ain't gonna happen. Smith , De Girolamo maybe.

Tomlin is like JET and Jacki, either you build a team around them or they don't deliver.  JET had his moments, Jacki and Tomlin have had fewer, but none of them have any place in a team which relies on energy and commitment, rather than individual brilliance.  I'm afraid that Tomlin may be in a long line of supremely talented players who, perhaps because of the level of their talent, were always doomed not make it at the highest level.  One thinks of people like Worthington, Marsh, Bowles, Le Tissier, all of whom had good careers, but none played for a team that won anything much...

I guess like the majority here, and fan base in general, I was chuffed to bits when we signed him after his loan spell.  

LJ signed him on loan, or sanctioned loan deal, and must have had final say on the permanent deal.  He arrived same time as Tomlin am I correct?

Why has he never reproduced that half season form whilst with us on the loan period is the million dollar question.  I don,t buy in that he was playing for a contract, he would have had offers elsewhere. 

His most successful period was with the Posh where he was a folk hero for 4 years until the end when he fell out with them. (According to my posh friends) He was of course as a rule a lower league player, leagues 1 and 2. Posh from 2010 to 2014.

LJ has said himself if he had an 'engine' he would be in the Prem.  But he has not, and he is what he is. He is at best a Championship player. To play Tomlin you got to build around him, cannot see that. 

In my time he falls into the Trundle, Jacki, Jet camp. All brilliant individuals but often anonymous in matches, then light up games with flashes brilliance. 

As a result never stay long. Sadly I suspect LT will be same. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

All this nonsense about 30 passes, City went round in circles, then 1 pass through due to Tammy's run made the goal not the previous 29.

You need to Boo less and watch more football. That possession football was absolutely instrumental to what we did to Blackpool at the weekend. We've been watching our own team and when bereft of confidence and it absolutely kills good players. That possession against a team in that position just sucks life out of you with every pass, if you watch the tape there is not one of their players that gets within A few metres of the ball and you can see them visibly shrinking. Granted it was the OnePass that put Tammy through to score an exquisite poachers goal that you just can't coach.

they were absolutely punchdrunk and we should have absolutely taken them apart. We haven't got that ruthless streak or that Roy Keane type character still screaming at players when you are already dominating a team. It wouldn't have been it's all unfair if we just put five past them. Without that second goal we retreated to type Iand literally did what we had to which was not to lose the game.

Back to the point of the white elephant then it's a tough one. If we hadn't have signed him there would have been uproar because between him and JK and the demise of SA then I have no doubt we would have been relegated. Obviously JP and Wade have to take a boot load of credit too.

so in short in a thriving, vibrant, confident and winning side then he is your go to man the first name on the team sheet. In a struggling side with a young  inexperienced manager you find out a lot about these creative players and it would seem that very unfortunately he became a corrosive element. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the real Lee Tomlin this year compared to last.

In my opinion it all started against Aston Villa with the Magnussen freekick debate early doors. He was clearly unhappy that the manager had suggested he wasn't always the go to man for free kicks and the Icelandic clap had been in full force even when he was lining up. When he curled it over the wall and into the net his celebration/anger was clearly aimed at our head coach. His post match interview pretyy much confirms it

Some people may think I'm crazy but I think a lot of it stems from that moment

Time to lie down in a cold dark room.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's a common perception that the skilful players are also the most difficult to manage, but I've seen nothing, unsubstantiated rumours aside, to suggest that Lee Tomlin is in any way a disruptive influence.

He even gave a public interview giving his full support to LJ at the height of the poor run, not sure how much more he can do apart from keeping his head down and keeping on working.

Yeah - ignore the words of the head coach even

Never mind - you stick with your beliefs

Frightening

Perhaps a similar scenario to JET. I think however Tomlin is the kind of player who you would love to have in a top 10 team. Not a team fighting near the bottom. If we improve over the summer like we all hope we will then I think he can certainly be useful. 

1 hour ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

The OP clearly said 'white' elephant.

Try harder.

tfj

Have you never heard of a multi cultural, mixed ethnicity, fully diversity embracing team of elephants in the Loxodonta Leagues before?

For your ignoramus information the white elephant invitation above was made by the winger (no 7 shirted) captain of the famous Elephas Maximus Utd club .... theres no apartheid colour bar in the Loxodonta Premiership mate. African, Indian, grey, white, pink, no matter what coloured elephants are welcomed in the Loxodontas ... if you're good enough your in at E M Utd the only stipulation is fitness, commitment and talent if an elephant has these qualities the manager is a happy bunny, not too much of a hard tusk master at all..  So there you have it Mr Taxi, the post complies fully, in relevance to the Majors original query.

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We were at the start of this season for a while so it's possible, I'm sure LJ will still be here unless we collapse in the last 3 games and go down.

Purple Patch??-We weren't playing well even with the early results,certainly 'getting away with it'...consistancy very hard to achieve and what we aspire to.The table is telling no lies.and sadly Lee will be staying even if the worst happens.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Purple Patch??-We weren't playing well even with the early results,certainly 'getting away with it'...consistancy very hard to achieve and what we aspire to.The table is telling no lies.and sadly Lee will be staying even if the worst happens.

I was just saying we were near the top at the start of the season, that's a fact not an opinion

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I know it's a common perception that the skilful players are also the most difficult to manage, but I've seen nothing, unsubstantiated rumours aside, to suggest that Lee Tomlin is in any way a disruptive influence.

He even gave a public interview giving his full support to LJ at the height of the poor run, not sure how much more he can do apart from keeping his head down and keeping on working.

LJ called him a "loveable rogue"; Eddie Howe probably only calls him by words of 4 letters; you have his baiting of fans in the summer; you've seen how many yellow cards he picked up because of his gob; the Huddersfield debacle is far from unsubstantiated rumour; that interview @RaspberryRed linked; the way he tries to wind up opponents and opposition fans.

Sorry Rich but I don't think this is a smoke without fire situation. I think there is plenty out there that the conclusion he is probably a bit of a git is sound, and not in any way drawn from his level of skill.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, Tomlin is not a happy bunny under LJ and 'flair' players like him need to be happy to produce. It cannot have helped when he has been asked to play on the left side of midfield - a position he is eminently unsuitable for, or in behind one up front - a tactic that has failed 90% of the time.

Lee Tomlin is without doubt a championship quality No.10, but is a luxury we cannot afford if played out of position. So either play him as a No.10 (and that means head of diamond if playing 4-4-2) or don't play him at all. Will not be surprised to see him move on, sadly, as would rather see LJ moved on!

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Have you never heard of a multi cultural, mixed ethnicity, fully diversity embracing team of elephants in the Loxodonta Leagues before?

For your ignoramus information the white elephant invitation above was made by the winger (no 7 shirted) captain of the famous Elephas Maximus Utd club .... theres no apartheid colour bar in the Loxodonta Premiership mate. African, Indian, grey, white, pink, no matter what coloured elephants are welcomed in the Loxodontas ... if you're good enough your in at E M Utd the only stipulation is fitness, commitment and talent if an elephant has these qualities the manager is a happy bunny, not too much of a hard tusk master at all..  So there you have it Mr Taxi, the post complies fully, in relevance to the Majors original query.

No, it does not.

tfj

8 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

All this nonsense about 30 passes, City went round in circles, then 1 pass through due to Tammy's run made the goal not the previous 29.

I did ask you yesterday....

Were you actually there?

......and did you boo?

:dunno:

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Whether you choose to believe it or not, Tomlin is not a happy bunny under LJ and 'flair' players like him need to be happy to produce. It cannot have helped when he has been asked to play on the left side of midfield - a position he is eminently unsuitable for, or in behind one up front - a tactic that has failed 90% of the time.

Lee Tomlin is without doubt a championship quality No.10, but is a luxury we cannot afford if played out of position. So either play him as a No.10 (and that means head of diamond if playing 4-4-2) or don't play him at all. Will not be surprised to see him move on, sadly, as would rather see LJ moved on!

So where should he play if not as an attacking midfielder on the left or in the centre? I'm puzzled.

Personally I think the key is that he is useful when we are on top, to open up the opposition, but not when we are struggling to get any possession. 

Actually I think he tries very hard and uses his limited pace very well.

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Now we all know Tomlin is an immense talent but we are seemingly playing better without him .

He doesn't give the energy and movement that others offer and I don't believe it's chance that our results have improved with 10 outfield players running their socks off instead of nine .

It is a great shame but he has incredibly become surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate .

What should we do with him ? 

Move him on , build our team around him and hope he gets his mojo back ? 

He has been a big disappointment this season. 

maybe it's time he packed his trunk?

I'm certainly a Lee Tomlin fan but it's been so frustrating this season to see just glimpses of what we know he can do.  As has been said elsewhere he definitely does not suit a struggle and as I said in another thread he is like Lee Trundle in some ways, really needs a team of 10 and him just "doing what he does"

Hopefully we stay up and he does not want away in the summer, then who knows, if we can learn from this season LT could flourish if we are competing/challenging and is the type of player who calmly hits a volley winner into the top corner of the net in a playoff final, just like Windass.  Wishful thinking ? Perhaps but no White Elephant in my book.

Archived