IGNORED

41 Years Ago Today

Gert Mare

2 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

City defeated Portsmouth 1-0 at Ashton Gate with a goal from Clive Whitehead which propelled Bristol City back into the top flight after a 65 year absence.

Great times, great memories #MadeBristolProud

With George Graham and Kammy playing for the opposition who were managed by Ian St John.

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I was 8 and it was my first season watching City. Its been downhill ever since! :sad26:

Next 4 years were pretty great, Hunter, Gow, Ritchie etc versus Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U.

But agree with the general point, a bit like your first girlfriend being Sophia Loren..

4 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Best night of my life. Thanks for reminding me. Oh how I would love to feel that again

If we do it every 65 years, then only 24 years to wait! *

After eventually getting off the pitch I somehow ended up in the Peeler by the suspension bridge.

Unforgettable night after a truly memorable season.

*Actually if it was 65 years since we were last in Div.1, we'd have to count it from relegation in 1980, so 28 years to go.:angry:

14 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Best night of my life. Thanks for reminding me. Oh how I would love to feel that again

Hmm 'one' of the best nights of my life :) ....

I too would love to feel like that again, dammit I was only 20 and still able to run and jump about on the pitch back then.. if only I could turn back time, it sucks getting old, stiff and cynical, was pre-Thatcherism too, Britain was still Great (ish), music was brilliant, anything was possible and the future was ours.. where the **** did this belly come from and what happened to my bloody hair? 

Cheers to Mr Dicks and the players that year, was a wonderful time to be a Red.. :city: ..and a great time generally to be young.

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I was 8 and it was my first season watching City. Its been downhill ever since! :sad26:

All in my first 6 years watching City:

Spurs at home, LC semi final.

Beating Man.Utd at AG in div.2

Seeing City hold Leeds at home and beat them away in the Cup, then lose narrowly to Liverpool at home in front of another sell out crowd.

26,000 home crowd for a nothing L2 match v Oxford when vouchers were being handed out for Cup tickets. Am I remembering that crowd correctly? Pretty sure I am, but many went off again without watching the game.

Promotion to div.1.

Beating Arsenal away.

38,000+ crowd to see City beat Liverpool in the League at AG

Survival at Coventry.

Watching City hold their own at Anfield, watching from the middle of the Kop.

3 further seasons of top flight football.

All downhill after relegation until winning promotion at Chester in Div.4, one of the truly great days. :yes:

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Seeing City hold Leeds at home and beat them away in the Cup, then lose narrowly to Liverpool at home in front of another sell out crowd.

26,000 home crowd for a nothing L2 match v Oxford when vouchers were being handed out for Cup tickets. Am I remembering that crowd correctly? Pretty sure I am, but many went off again without watching the game.

Promotion to div.1.

Beating Arsenal away.

Survival at Coventry.

All downhill after relegation until winning promotion at Chester in Div.4, one of the truly great days. :yes:

Finishing 13th - 13th! - in English football, in 1979. 13/92. Beat that, Steve Lansdown! 

13th in the Championship (33/92) will do next year, though.

17 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Finishing 13th - 13th! - in English football, in 1979. 13/92. Beat that, Steve Lansdown! 

13th in the Championship (33/92) will do next year, though.

What are you crowing about that for Jack Dawe? If we had got Geert Meyer in a few months earlier I'm sure we would've finished much higher. A wasted opportunity. Sack the chairman....Which is exactly what they did, if memory serves!

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

City defeated Portsmouth 1-0 at Ashton Gate with a goal from Clive Whitehead which propelled Bristol City back into the top flight after a 65 year absence.

Great times, great memories #MadeBristolProud

Great days indeed, what a team/club/manager/chairman that was...........was Steve there?

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Finishing 13th - 13th! - in English football, in 1979.

At Christmas that season, when City were even further up the League, there was even talk, not just by the fans either, of finishing high enough to qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Great memories, just shows what can be done with a well organised team all working for each other, no pretentious superstars, everybody knew their role.

Remember getting told off by a policeman on the way home for being drunk in charge of a bicycle!  Imagine that now!  Me and my mate got off and walked our bikes until the PC was out of sight, kids of today would probably tell the PC to **** off.

I remember crowding round the pitch as an 11 year old . Silk scarf on my wrist and first pair of DM's on my feet. On the pitch with my brother and sister and cousins as soon as the whistle went. Couldn't find my Dad for ages after,expected a bollocking, but he was as happy as Larry. 

Would have liked a few more times like that over the years but it is what it is ...

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Promotion to div.1.

Beating Arsenal away.

Survival at Coventry.

We have seen a lot. 

Archived