IGNORED

Bristol city community trust, Thank you!

Spoons

My daughter just finished her two day girls only football camp at south bristol sports centre. £10 for two days 10-2, bargain! 

Well run, very affordable , kids loved it and is attracting the future of our club! 

Over 200 kids in the first week and the second week concentrated on girls only camps and a disability camp on Friday.  Basically they reach the whole community. 

Very impressed and most of all my little one is even more impressed than me!!

Thank you. 

17 hours ago, Spoons said:

My daughter just finished her two day girls only football camp at south bristol sports centre. £10 for two days 10-2, bargain! 

Well run, very affordable , kids loved it and is attracting the future of our club! 

Over 200 kids in the first week and the second week concentrated on girls only camps and a disability camp on Friday.  Basically they reach the whole community. 

Very impressed and most of all my little one is even more impressed than me!!

Thank you. 

Good to hear, there are a lot of posts on here claiming that the club falls short in this area, so it is good to hear something so positive.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Good to hear, there are a lot of posts on here claiming that the club falls short in this area, so it is good to hear something so positive.

You will also hear posts that this is an area that should be extended. Post holidays the community trust did offer after school football training at various venues across Bristol this has been right scaled back.

One of the drawbacks the community trust has is its lack of its own pitches hence they use two venues in Whitchurch  frequently.

If there was a sporting facility at Ashton Vale with 3G pitches etc for the Trust to use ... The potential is massive.

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You will also hear posts that this is an area that should be extended. Post holidays the community trust did offer after school football training at various venues across Bristol this has been right scaled back.

One of the drawbacks the community trust has is its lack of its own pitches hence they use two venues in Whitchurch  frequently.

If there was a sporting facility at Ashton Vale with 3G pitches etc for the Trust to use ... The potential is massive.

But what about the dog walkers, they need all that space! :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I'm one of those posters but I've only heard good things about the camps, and in fact enjoyed attending back when Tommy Hutchinson was around the club. 

47 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Never read anything negative about the football holiday camps only there is not enough of it. schools and clubs struggle for pitches and City really could step in.

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But what about the dog walkers, they need all that space! :ph34r:

Then get onto a local school/club ... Lease land build a 3G pitch from scratch and use players who are not earning their millions to start on the footings ... Easy. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I could bore you with facts etc regarding the reasons for camps being scaled back across bristol and North Somerset but it basically is on attendance . More people (200 plus) turned up in the first week of the holidays than all other previous camps dotted across bristol and North Somerset . It also used to be £20 a day, it's now £20 for 4 days amazing value . Let's be clear as well that south bristol sports centre is in the area where a large number of our fan base is and a community project like this on that area is amazing.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

I could bore you with facts etc regarding the reasons for camps being scaled back across bristol and North Somerset but it basically is on attendance . More people (200 plus) turned up in the first week of the holidays than all other previous camps dotted across bristol and North Somerset . It also used to be £20 a day, it's now £20 for 4 days amazing value . Let's be clear as well that south bristol sports centre is in the area where a large number of our fan base is and a community project like this on that area is amazing.

You won't bore me. I coach at the South Bristol Sports centre and at other venues in South Bristol. I have been involved in purchasing Community trust products and their partnerships.

Nowhere have I said that the football camps are not good value. I have seen no posts from anybody stating anything negative about the camps.

Engagement and provision away from the school holidays is another topic,

There are South Bristol junior clubs who have more than 200 kids playing for them weekly. Also amazing with far less resources than BCFC/the Community Trust.

What I have maintained is that post camps the Community Trust and thus Bristol City's follow on is patchy.

What happens to those 200 kids when they go back to school?

There is plenty of scope for Bristol City to run development centres, additional quality training for those within grass roots clubs and football for football sake for children who do not want / enjoy the pressure of games with rules and expectations.

A socio economic box is ticked in the school holidays. The opportunity is there to do far far more, which is why I hope that one day the Trust gets its own facility at Ashton Vale to do so every week of the year.

I'm not being funny and congratulations to the club/trust for running what sound like excellent holiday football camps. (Why are football camps reffered to as Soccer, all of a sudden..?!) 

However, why are the second weeks camps only for girls and those with disabilities..? What is the reason for discrimination against the young boys who might want to partake in these..? 

Serious question, without wanting to raise the whole "positive discrimination" debate again, but it seems absurd that in week 1, a brother and sister could attend and enjoy this together, but in week 2, only the girl could and the brother couldn't attend on the simple basis of him being male..?! 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm not being funny and congratulations to the club/trust for running what sound like excellent holiday football camps. (Why are football camps reffered to as Soccer, all of a sudden..?!) 

However, why are the second weeks camps only for girls and those with disabilities..? What is the reason for discrimination against the young boys who might want to partake in these..? 

Serious question, without wanting to raise the whole "positive discrimination" debate again, but it seems absurd that in week 1, a brother and sister could attend and enjoy this together, but in week 2, only the girl could and the brother couldn't attend on the simple basis of him being male..?! 

The reason is only 14/200 where girls in the first week. My little one would happily mix with boys etc but feedback is that some girls are staying away because it's mostly boys. Rightly or wrongly the trust reacted by giving girl only sessions a go. Girls and people with disabilities are just as much part of the community as the boys. And it's about reaching to all parts of the community not just the obvious hardcore. 

13 minutes ago, Spoons said:

The reason is only 14/200 where girls in the first week. My little one would happily mix with boys etc but feedback is that some girls are staying away because it's mostly boys. Rightly or wrongly the trust reacted by giving girl only sessions a go. Girls and people with disabilities are just as much part of the community as the boys. And it's about reaching to all parts of the community not just the obvious hardcore. 

I think it's a good idea to offer smaller group sessions for the girls and youngsters with disabilities.

It's a given that boys are channelled into football whereas girls have to almost invite themselves. Some may lack the confidence to say they want to play, especially against the more experienced boys. This could also be said of some people with disabilities, they may want to join in but unsure what their abilities are compared to the main group of boys.

These smaller sessions allow both groups to get a feel of the main football holiday camp whilst being a gentler introduction. Surely people can't question that?

Archived